What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Coach Otis All-Value Team <(^v^)> (1 Viewer)

• Terrance West
I know what you're thinking. Why would I want a rookie RB on the Cleveland Browns? You want a rookie RB on the Cleveland Browns because he's really strong and really fast and is going to stun you with the way he adjusts to the speed of the NFL.

I don't have much of anything to tell you other than "trust me." Rather than have some clever joke about the guy who will be the best rookie RB this year, I just thought I'd post his draft writeup:

Solidly-built throughout with good muscle build to shake off defenders. Smooth hips and lower body to stay balanced, working off and around blocks well with a good combination of power and foot quickness. Physical, tough and lowers his pads to finish through contact. Good vision, patience and natural feel as a ballcarrier to press the hole and attack the line of scrimmage, following his blocks. Strong cuts and breaks tackles at all levels . A chore to tackle. Good speed and won't slow down at the second level with long strides in the open field. Workhorse and wears down defenses. Sexy as all get-out and probably will steal your girlfriend. Catches the ball well (31 career catches). Strong work ethic and devoted to the game with his head on straight, keeping his eyes on the prize. Extremely productive career (led the team in rushing each of the last three seasons) and leaves Towson as the school's all-time leading rusher (4,854), setting FCS single-season records in 2013 for rushing yards (2,509) and rushing touchdowns (41).

At RB39 off the board, what you're getting here is a guy who will come from behind to lead the rookie RB class and finish the season as the #10-15 RB overall.

Top 15 RB finish

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Justin Hunter
Justin Hunter is 6'4" and 200+lbs of studliness at the wide receiver position. Four of his eighteen catches last year were touchdowns; in limited playing time, he proved he's a gamer. Hunter is just fluid and athletic as all hell, and he makes it look so easy. He's like your buddy who comes out to the club after you've been there struggling for two hours, and you're sort of tired and drunk and sweaty and the girls you've tried picking up have mostly blown you off, and then Hunter just strolls in really casually and saddles up to the bar and within minutes has a girl on either arm chatting him up. He was raw as a rookie, but his route running improved over the course of the year and with another offseason as a pro he'll only be further up the learning curve.

He's going as the 51st WR off the board, and he'll finish top 30, right after he finishes making you look bad.

Top 30 WR

One more WR writeup to come, along with a K writeup, and we'll follow that with a couple bonus writeups in the remaining weeks of draft season. Enjoy, my high-flying friends.

You had me with west until you said top 15

Completely on board with hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
QB

Mike Vick

Top 5 QB finish

RB

Daryl Richardson

RB8 - RB12 finish

Shane Vereen

RB10 - RB14 finish

WR

Anquan Boldin

1100+ yards, 8+ TDs

Sidney Rice

Off the board around WR50; top 20WR finish

TE

Jermichael Finley

Top5 TE finish

K

"The Leg"

Top3 K finish
Would like to hear some reflective commentary from the coach on picks from 2013.
Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow,
Don't stop, it'll soon be here,
It'll be, better than before,
Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone.

BONUS PICK

omgomgomg! Here we are with our first special bonus pick of the preseason. We told you Josh McCown is going to sneeze thunder and lightning all season, but here's another QB option on the very off chance you find yourself in a league with another hawk:

QB Jay Cutler

Jay Cutler cares more than you think. He cares about Alshon Jeffery. He cares about Brandon Marshall. One of the best, if not the best, WR duos in the game, with Alshon still having room to grow. He cares about Bennett, a massive receiving target, who only requires that you throw the ball in a general direction of the other end zone. He cares that Matt Forte is arguably the best receiving back in the game right now. He also cares that they just signed Santonio Holmes as a potential WR3. Santonio as a WR3?! Seriously? That's like having Jessica Biel as your backup date in case the chick you're asking out isn't around tonight. While maybe he doesn't care so much about your stupid fantasy team, Jay Cutler cares deeply about having what will be the best season of his career.

He's going off the board as QB14, but I'll be damned if he doesn't finish top 5.

Top 5 QB finish

FLEX

• Shane Vereen
Vereen has been a hawk favorite for some time now. He's dazzled in the NFL playoffs, and he's been the best running back on the Patriots for a long time. Ridley will continue to drop everything he's handed, including his tray in the Patriots cafeteria, prompting even more ridicule from teammates and coaches. The Patriots have Gronk back and are primed for a better offensive year than in recent past; they'll move the chains, and put up points, and Vereen will play a large part in that.

Vereen is going the 24th running back off the board, but don't be stunned to see him finish top 15.

RB12-15 finish

• Andre Holmes
Holmes is tall, and big, and athletic, and he's really annoyed to be buried so deep on the depth chart. He has no idea why he's going as the 71st receiver off the board, and frankly neither do we.

In week 13 last year against the Cowboys, Holmes had his first breakout, to the tune of nearly 140 yards on 7 catches, with a crap quarterback. He has the physical tools, he has a chip on his shoulder, he's got some journeyman receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, and he'll be on a bad team that will have to throw a whole bunch from behind. He may end up getting a bunch of fantasy points in garbage time, but even nerdy Shark leagues don't distinguish on that basis.

Draft him late and profit. Just don't tell him you drafted him late.

Top 30 WR

MINI BONUS

Give a good hard look at these two as well, both of whom are going well below value and will finish as WR35 or better:

1. Kenny Britt -- WR 58 ADP
  2. Kenbrell Thompkins -- WR 67 ADP

FLEX

• Shane Vereen
Vereen has been a hawk favorite for some time now. He's dazzled in the NFL playoffs, and he's been the best running back on the Patriots for a long time. Ridley will continue to drop everything he's handed, including his tray in the Patriots cafeteria, prompting even more ridicule from teammates and coaches. The Patriots have Gronk back and are primed for a better offensive year than in recent past; they'll move the chains, and put up points, and Vereen will play a large part in that.

Vereen is going the 24th running back off the board, but don't be stunned to see him finish top 15.

RB12-15 finish
In the last week he is RB17 in PPRs.

Otis - well written, good ideas for late round picks. Thanks for your work and don't listen to the haters. Most of these guys are mid to late round picks so you have limited risk if you are wrong, but if you hit even on one or two you could be winning your league. If Ingram finishes in the top 10 you are golden - assuming you don't actually go for beers during the first three rounds... Haha.

Pretty sure that was better than his 2012 picks.
Really? Well, let's find out.

Holy smokes, it’s 2012.

QB

Jay Cutler

You’ll get him around QB12, but he’ll finish around QB5.

4300 yds, 24 TDs

3033 19 TDS 14 INT

Finished as QB # 23

RB

Reggie Bush

Draft Bush in the 6th round. Send me a fruit cake and Christmas card in December, and watch him finish a top 5-10 RB

1308 rushing, 322 receiving, 13TDs

986 RUYD 292 REYD 8 TDS

Finished as RB # 14

LeGarrette Blount

1150 rushing, 180 receiving, 7 TDs

151 RUYD 2 REYD 2 TDS

Finished as RB # 89

WR

Brandon Marshall

It’s not the most incredible value pick in the world, but he’ll finish top 5, and you’ll get nice bang for your buck, as we walk in fields of gold.

Top 5WR finish

Finished as WR# 2

Greg Little

Off the board around WR35-40; top 20WR finish

Finished as WR# 51

TE

Jacob Tamme

We haven’t seen an easier lock at top 5 TE who is regularly drafted outside the top 10. It’s silly really.

Top5 TE finish

Finished as TE# 26

Bonus Picks:

• QB - Peyton Manning - Top5 QB [He's still way better than you think] Finished as QB # 5
  • RB - Kendall Hunter - Top20 RB [Gore is in twilight mode; Hunter starts to take over midseason and shines] Finished as RB # 59
  • RB - Alex Green - Top20 RB [He's healthy, and the other options are unimpressive] Finished as RB # 55
  • WR - Mike Williams (TB) - Top15 WR [Resurgence as VJax takes more attention than he deserves] Finished as WR # 18
  • WR - Leonard Hankerson - Top20 WR [How's he really going off the board around WR60?] Finished as WR # 63
Crushed the Peyton Manning and Brandon Marshall picks. Good value there. :tebow:
You're a math whiz Hoop. What are the chances that a person could jinx this many players? Is Oats miss rate closer to picking the right Power Ball numbers or the daily 4 digit number?

Would like to hear some reflective commentary from the coach on picks from 2013.

QB

Mike Vick

Top 5 QB finish Lost job due to injury but was a stud prior to getting hurt and the Eagles qb position was one of the most prolific in the league.

RB

Daryl Richardson

RB8 - RB12 finish

Another case where the eventual starter was a stud.

Shane Vereen

RB10 - RB14 finish

Another injured player. Was a bona fide stud when he played. Finished top ten to fourteen in ppr, as predicted.

WR

Anquan Boldin

1100+ yards, 8+ TDs

Had his best season in years, and actually exceeded these numbers.

Sidney Rice

Off the board around WR50; top 20WR finish

Hurt.

TE

Jermichael Finley

Top5 TE finish

Hurt.

K

"The Leg"

Top3 K finish
So basically Otis correctly identified some studs who got hurt, and some of the most valuable fantasy situations in the league, while picking only guys who would go late in the draft. You could do a lot worse. Boldin in particular was a great call, since I don't think many people were on him this time last year. Through week 5, Vick was a top 3 qb if I remember correctly, and he was going as a qb in most leagues. Vereen was just starting to get some hype but nobody was really on him as a sproles like stud.

I have no problem calling out my GB oats for all kinds of tomfoolery but his value picks have been pretty solid.
I guess studs frequently get cut or retire the following year. Oats is a NFL career killer like none before him.

5 posts in 19 minutes, and then a 6th post about 2 hours later - all hammering Otis.

What'd you do to Bass, Otis?? :lol:

For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly on Ingram, Green, and West. And anyone not targeting West in a dynasty league is insane.

Our independent analysis project a near 85% hit rate on these picks, people. Get the hot takes while they're free.

Next years premium content like this is Likely to cost a pretty penny (though the subscriber-only "hawks nest" forum will be worth every penny.

5 posts in 19 minutes, and then a 6th post about 2 hours later - all hammering Otis.

What'd you do to Bass, Otis?? :lol:
No hard feelings. Oats is money. They say nothing in life is guaranteed, but fading hawk selection's is money in the bank. I'm only upset that he doesn't put this out in late July before the bulk of my drafts. I also wish he would compile a bust list.

• Justin Hunter
Justin Hunter is 6'4" and 200+lbs of studliness at the wide receiver position. Four of his eighteen catches last year were touchdowns; in limited playing time, he proved he's a gamer. Hunter is just fluid and athletic as all hell, and he makes it look so easy. He's like your buddy who comes out to the club after you've been there struggling for two hours, and you're sort of tired and drunk and sweaty and the girls you've tried picking up have mostly blown you off, and then Hunter just strolls in really casually and saddles up to the bar and within minutes has a girl on either arm chatting him up. He was raw as a rookie, but his route running improved over the course of the year and with another offseason as a pro he'll only be further up the learning curve.He's going as the 51st WR off the board, and he'll finish top 30, right after he finishes making you look bad.

Top 30 WR&lt;/p&gt;
dammit, i have this guy in three leagues and you just put the whammy on him.

Hawks, be aware: the Shark outlets are all picking up and publicizing our Ingram pick now.

Ingram, Vereen, West... be prepared for an embarrassment of riches at the RB position, my sky-high pals.

Ingram, Vereen, West... be prepared for an embarrassment of riches at the RB position, my sky-high pals.
Noble effort to try and get the Shark Pool back on point, but unfortunately there is too much blood in the water and they are consuming themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread