What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Kick and Punt Returner thread (1 Viewer)

Which scoring system for *individual* player return yards have you used the most often?

• 1 point per 5 return yards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 point per 10 return yards

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • 1 point per 15 return yards

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 1 point per 20 return yards

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • 1 point per 25 return yards

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • 1 point per 30 return yards

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 1 point per 35 return yards

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 1 point per 40 or more return yards

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
Any updates on Leon Washington? Is he officially returning kicks today?
There hasn't been any questions about Washington that I'm aware of. Not sure if you meant to ask about McCluster. he's the one who was injured? McCluster looks like he's going to play, haven't seen anything to suggest he won't be handling punts today though there's always a little risk if they want to take it easy on him after the injury.

So I suppose Pat Chung is out as the KR in New England? I saw Slater got the only return there.

Solomon Patton might be a decent WR stream next week. He will be up against Pitt which has been poor at preventing returns.

So I suppose Pat Chung is out as the KR in New England? I saw Slater got the only return there.

Solomon Patton might be a decent WR stream next week. He will be up against Pitt which has been poor at preventing returns.
I haven't seen much indication of a regular kr on the pats for some time

Preview of this week's returner article:

Owners of Patrick Chung should not worry about Matthew Slater getting the only kickoff return for the Patriots last week. Chung was the primary returner on every kickoff with Slater as a blocker. The only kick from Sebastian Janikowski that was returnable was a short kick that Slater fielded at the 15-yard line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good to know, I may have to head back to the waiver wire and pick him up lol. Unfortunately KC is pretty decent at return prevention this week

What are the chances that once OBJr is active that he is the PR and KR for the giants?
Fair but not a given. Maybe a little better chance he takes over punts than kickoffs. Demps was one of the best kickoff returners in the league last year. Though right now both returners are rating middle of the pack.

Preview of this week's returner article:

Owners of Patrick Chung should not worry about Matthew Slater getting the only kickoff return for the Patriots last week. Chung was the primary returner on every kickoff with Slater as a blocker. The only kick from Sebastian Janikowski that was returnable was a short kick that Slater fielded at the 15-yard line.
Is Chung still playing most every defensive snap? I get the return love, but a goose egg for returns is painful risk if theres no chance of say five Solo(s)

I use to think highly of Chung until his injury's started, but I re-dropped him after the 2.0 performance last week..

Does it seem like return yards are down this year compared to last year? Maybe when the weather gets worse, it opens up more returns?

Does it seem like return yards are down this year compared to last year? Maybe when the weather gets worse, it opens up more returns?
I think as the weather gets colder kickoffs will travel shorter distances leading to more returns. When the rule initially changed I dug into this a bit and there is evidence to support this.

I think as the weather gets colder kickoffs will travel shorter distances leading to more returns. When the rule initially changed I dug into this a bit and there is evidence to support this.
Not sure if it's backed up by football stats but due to physics balls travel shorter distances in the cold weather. This is definitely backed up by baseball stats.

Chung - think about 60%, but check idp forum

Demps - took starting job from s brown

D thompson - cut
Is Demps stll the primary KR there? Projections here don't have him listed this week. (have Randle and Parsons)
Have not had a chance to update depth chart table (will be prior to Sunday) but did note no changes for the TNF teams (as much as that means). However, as many have noted, he was promoted this week at FS. This could impact the returns.

Parker or Randle could be the options if he is pulled from KOR, reading the depth charts.

Clear as mud. :)

jonboltz said:
Chung - think about 60%, but check idp forum

Demps - took starting job from s brown

D thompson - cut
Is Demps stll the primary KR there? Projections here don't have him listed this week. (have Randle and Parsons)
Something's wrong there, he should be showing up in the returner projections with 69 KR yards. Checking to see what the issue is.

Some of the IDPs had an issue. Should be fixed now. I think the stats were still being included in rankings when you had a scoring system, just not showing in that display of the returner projections.

*Defensive backs returning kicks alert*

Danieal Manning got the only return for the Texans today and took it 41 yards. Was he back there for all of the returns this week? Damaris Johnson was invisible?

peyton41 said:
*Defensive backs returning kicks alert*

Danieal Manning got the only return for the Texans today and took it 41 yards. Was he back there for all of the returns this week? Damaris Johnson was invisible?
I believe for all. And Keshawn Martin was in on punts late and took some WR3 plays away from Damaris. Johnson handled punts early I think.

That is great stuff. With all the kick returners on the roster (Damaris, K. Martin) I can see this KR situation being a frustrating one. But with Dallas' bad return-preventing defense on deck, run to the waiver wire and get Manning

Full set of updates in the Week 5 article that I'm working on finishing up now. But in advance of that, a couple of key updates....

Jalen Saunders was cut by the Jets. They used Walt Powell as the punt returner, though they then signed Owusu and TJ Graham. So there are some bodies there which could result in a shakeup at returner.

TY Hilton handled some kickoff returns for the Colts though Whalen handled some too. Hilton started out side by side with Whalen, and also had one it looked like he was the only returner back there. They were all touchbacks, but with him being fantasy significant on offense it's worth mentioning.

The Dolphins signed LaMichael James. Combined with Jarvis Landry fumbling twice on punts, there could be a shakeup coming there. Landry is tied for first in total return yards in the NFL with 373. 51 of those yards are punt returns, so it could impact a top producing returner.

Joe McKnight is out for the season with an Achilles tendon rupture.

Expected at least some mention of TJ Carrie taking over the KR duties (to go with PR) in Oakland. But he wasn't really mentioned at all in the week 6 recap.

Expected at least some mention of TJ Carrie taking over the KR duties (to go with PR) in Oakland. But he wasn't really mentioned at all in the week 6 recap.
Thanks for the heads up, that's definitely my bad and will get it in the article. With the injuries to San Diego's returners I was interested in what they were doing about it and glossed right over Carrie taking over for Murray.

The Seahawks listed Doug Baldwin and Bryan Walters behind Percy Harvin on their depth chart as kickoff returners. With Harvin traded to the Jets, I imagine Baldwin might get first crack but it's really not a sure thing. The Seahawks have used several of their receivers as returners before... unless someone puts his stamp on the job we could see players being tried out over the next few weeks.

Does HARVIN immediately get the kr job in NYJ?
Hard to say. Walt Powell has looked pretty good in his brief stint as the returner including a 60 yard return last night. I could see a coach thinking: trot Harvin out on returns as a way of contributing when he's still learning the offense. Or might they think, let's have him focus on learning the offense and not distract him with returns? Edit to add: I could see Coach Ryan being someone who wants to get his glitzy new toy out there immediately, so maybe the former.

I wouldn't want to count on either Powell or Harvin as individual returners next week, barring hearing something definitive from the team.

Anyone know if Todman was the returner for Jacksonville today? No returns in that game. Also looks like Pat Chung is sadly out of the KR job.

Heads up for waiver claims. The Bucs cut Solomon Patton, who has been one of the top guys in the league this season in terms of total return yardage, and signed Trindon Holliday. For leagues with a starting lineup spot that only scores return yards, Holliday could end up being a nice pickup. He probably won't give you any other type of fantasy points though. He also has some ball security issues which give him some risk.

Word is that Harvin will be the kick returner and possibly return punts as well in his debut. He will have a minimal role on offense.

Also Jeff Demps was picked up by the Colts. Might want to watch list him.

Dwayne Harris might be one of the top KR streaming options this week. Washington is up there in return yards allowed but they will be playing in Dallas which could equate to more touchbacks.

If Amendola sticks at KR and in the offense he could be a top add for next week. Bad news for Pat Chung owners. T.J. Carrie and Danieal Manning are still the KR's for their respective teams.

The Steelers are going with Blount at kick returner. Dri Archer's longest kick return this season is 23 yards.

I play in a return yardage league and Quintin Demps was doing great as my safety, but

it seems the Giants only used him for returns for a couple of games.

Is he still returning kicks/punts, or does anyone know why they stopped using him?

Thanks!

RM

I play in a return yardage league and Quintin Demps was doing great as my safety, but

it seems the Giants only used him for returns for a couple of games.

Is he still returning kicks/punts, or does anyone know why they stopped using him?

Thanks!

RM
When he got promoted to starting safety, they started alternating he and Preston Parker, indicating they'd decide who to use each kick based on the game (how tired they are at that moment, etc).

But then more recently they promoted Michael Cox from the practice squad and have been using him as the kickoff returner, though it could really be any of them any game. Beckham could even seen some returns there though he seems to be handling punts mostly.

One note- if you're setting your squad up for the playoffs, you may want to nab Amendola. If he gets San Diego in week 14 he should put up elite numbers since he has a small role on offense too.

The Seahawks listed Doug Baldwin and Bryan Walters behind Percy Harvin on their depth chart as kickoff returners. With Harvin traded to the Jets, I imagine Baldwin might get first crack but it's really not a sure thing. The Seahawks have used several of their receivers as returners before... unless someone puts his stamp on the job we could see players being tried out over the next few weeks.
Any word if Paul Richardson stays on KR?

I'm guessing Philly Brown is out tonight. Is Brenton Bersin (KR/PR last week) assuming those roles again this week?

Any word if Paul Richardson stays on KR?
Haven't seen anything, but Walters is practicing again.

I'm guessing Philly Brown is out tonight. Is Brenton Bersin (KR/PR last week) assuming those roles again this week?
Haven't seen any comments to tell on if it'll be Bersin or not. Before last week Reaves and Cotchery were mentioned as possibilities too.

Thigpen appears to be both KR and PR in TB?
The Buccaneers will have a new kickoff and punt returner.

According to Rand Getlin of Yahoo! Sports, the Bucs have waived Trindon Holliday with an “injured” designation. Holliday has a hamstring injury.

If Holliday clears waivers, he will take a spot on the Buccaneers’ injured reserve list.

The 28-year-old Holliday returned two kickoffs and two punts in Tampa Bay’s loss to Minnesota on Sunday. He signed with the Buccaneers just 10 days ago. Holliday had replaced rookie Solomon Patton, who was waived after six games as the Bucs’ returner. Patton is now on the Cardinals’ practice squad.

A potential replacement for Holliday could be coming from the practice squad. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports the Buccaneers have called up wide receiver Marcus Thigpen, who returned kickoffs and punts for Miami in 2012 and 2013. Like Holliday, the 28-year-old Thigpen signed with the Buccaneers on Oct. 21.

And now, Thigpen might get a chance to stabilize a problem spot for 1-6 Tampa Bay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/31/reports-bucs-waive-trindon-holliday-call-up-marcus-thigpen/

Shaun Draughn cut by the Chargers. I'd assume the kickoff returns will go back to Donald Brown who is now healthy.

Also, Bryan Walters waived by Seattle.

I'd guess Richardson will keep kickoff returns then. Punt returns could stay with Sherman or be someone like Baldwin.

The Chargers used Chris Davis on kickoff returns. He was a guy in preseason I really thought could land the starting job but seemed like he was never really a serious consideration for them. Looking forward to seeing him get a chance. Had 4 returns with a 29 yard average, so a good first outing.

Seahawks re-signed Bryan Walters. Sounded at first like Baldwin would be fine for this week, but now it sounds more uncertain.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/07/5299340/carolina-panthers-philly-brown.html#.VF40_sJ0yAg

The first thing Philly Brown plans to do when he gets to Philadelphia on Sunday is head out for a Philly cheesesteak.

Naturally.

The Carolina Panthers’ rookie returner says there’s nothing that could’ve kept him out of Monday night’s game against his hometown Eagles ... except the NFL’s concussion protocol.

Brown, who grew up in west Philly, missed the past two games with post-concussion symptoms after he was kneed in the back of the head returning a punt Oct. 19 at Green Bay.

Brown said a doctor cleared him Thursday to play against the Eagles. And although Panthers coach Ron Rivera has been noncommittal about Brown’s role in the game, Brenton Bersin, who handled the return duties in Brown’s absence, indicated Brown would reclaim the job.

But before the game, there is the matter of cheesesteaks.

While other players might hit the oft-publicized Pat’s or Geno’s, which Brown dismissed as “tourist traps,” he plans to take Bersin to Max’s for a genuine Philly cheesesteak.

What part of town is Max’s in?

“The bad part,” Brown said.

Brown went by his given name of Corey until his senior year at Cardinal O’Hara when then-Ohio State coach Jim Tressel visited Brown on a recruiting trip. Tressel told Brown the Buckeyes already had a Corey Brown on the team – a defensive back from Pennsylvania – and he would need a nickname.

“That’s the one he came up with,” Brown said. “The obvious one.”

It stuck, at least in Ohio State circles. Back home, Brown is still Corey to friends and family – about 100 of whom will be at Lincoln Financial Field for Monday night’s game. Philly fans have a reputation for being rough, showing no mercy to visiting teams, coaches and guys in Santa suits.

Brown is not concerned.

“All I’m worried about is us getting a victory,” he said. “I’m not worried about people in the stands or how they act or whatever.”

Brown was in middle school in 2005 when the Eagles lost to New England in the Super Bowl. He’d go to games at the “Linc” and still has a Brian Westbrook jersey.

He has a little extra motivation in facing the Eagles, who were one of the teams that showed interest in him before the draft but didn’t take him. Thirty-one other teams also passed on Brown, whose size (5-foot-11, 180 pounds) and 40-yard dash time at the combine (4.51 seconds) might have scared off scouts.

The Panthers signed Brown as an undrafted free agent, and he won the return jobs out of training camp despite some fumbling problems.

He’s had an eventful start to his career.

With veteran Jerricho Cotchery sidelined in a Week 3 loss to Pittsburgh, Brown made his first start at receiver and caught seven passes for 66 yards.

But in the fourth quarter, Brown fumbled Brad Wing’s punt at the Panthers’ 12-yard, then lost it again after re-gathering it. Pittsburgh’s Robert Golden recovered it in the end zone for a touchdown that put the Steelers up 30-13.

Two weeks later against Chicago, Brown scored on an unusual play during a first-quarter punt. A Bears player interfered with Brown before he fielded the punt. When the ball squirted out from the pile, Brown picked it up and raced 79 yards for a touchdown.

Brown says his issue hasn’t been fielding punts, but he needs to take better care of the ball in traffic. But he doesn’t plan to change his approach.

“I’m an aggressive player, so I’m not going to change the way I play,” Brown said. “Playmakers are supposed to make plays. So I’ll make the smart play, but I’m going to make the aggressive play at the same time.”

Bersin said Brown’s no-fear attitude makes him well suited for his return role.

“That’s how you want your players to play – take chances, don’t be afraid to make a play, don’t play scared,” Bersin said. “That weird touchdown he had (against Chicago) is because he took a chance. If he fair-caught it, I don’t think that play would’ve happened.”

The Panthers have a couple of players who are arguably more sure-handed than Brown, including Bersin.

But Rivera likes Brown’s big-play potential.

“The one thing that Philly does is he brings you that home run ability,” Rivera said.

Hitting a home run against the Eagles would make for a memorable homecoming. But Brown, who has a dry sense of humor, said he’s just glad to be back on the field and out of the concussion protocol.

“This is better than sitting in my house all day in a dark room watching nothing,” he said. “So anything other than that is a plus.”

If Brown is back, he probably is on most WW. Might be a nice stream this week.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/07/5299340/carolina-panthers-philly-brown.html#.VF40_sJ0yAg#storylink=cpy

Users who are viewing this thread