What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2014 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (1 Viewer)

3:08pm: Bennett has officially re-signed with the Seahawks, the team announced (via Twitter).

2:40pm: One of the top free agents on the market will be returning to the Super Bowl champions, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. Florio reports (via Twitter) that the Seahawks and defensive end Michael Bennett have reached agreement on a four-year contract. Adam Schefter of ESPN.com confirms the deal (via Twitter), and adds that it should be in the neighborhood of $34MM for four years, for an average of between $8-$8.5MM annually. $16MM will be guaranteed, says John Clayton of ESPN.com (via Twitter).

3:08pm: Bennett has officially re-signed with the Seahawks, the team announced (via Twitter).

2:40pm: One of the top free agents on the market will be returning to the Super Bowl champions, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. Florio reports (via Twitter) that the Seahawks and defensive end Michael Bennett have reached agreement on a four-year contract. Adam Schefter of ESPN.com confirms the deal (via Twitter), and adds that it should be in the neighborhood of $34MM for four years, for an average of between $8-$8.5MM annually. $16MM will be guaranteed, says John Clayton of ESPN.com (via Twitter).
This is really exciting! I didn't think we had a chance of keeping him until this morning when I heard that playing time was a factor.

I think not only this is a key signing but again will get other FAs to take 1 year "prove it" deals with us. I mean, you have Bennett and Avril commanding half of the line during obvious pass rush situations so someone else is going to have a much easier time getting to the QB.

The only discount is on the total contract. The number that counts (guaranteed money) is just as high as any of the top contracts around the league for the position.

Bennett got his ring, now he is looking to get paid. There is no way he stays in Seattle.
Who else won't stay in Seattle?

Just giving you a hard, it looked like he was on his way out the door. This just reiterates that the power and draw of the 12th man should never be underestimated. The players love the Seattle fans.

I would have zero trouble supporting him in fighting the placement in stage 3 if it occurred before he got busted. Afterwards, it comes off as disingenious at best to me.
This is what I was referring to when I brought up shades of gray. "If". Your choice of words. We don't know all the facts. Further, we can't see in the heart of any man. We don't know who knew what exactly

However, that statement above is in reference to the idea that I ignored the facts in my opinion, which is clearly not the case. The apologists seem to gloss over the fact that in 3 years of constant drug tests that he or his agent never knew his status and that he didn't know the requirements of the drug policy when he went away from the NFL after getting caught in Denver. I think Goodell is the worst commissioner in league history and is doing a number of things that will hurt the NFL in the long run, so me siding with him is a big deal. All the evidence puts this into Browner's corner for being grossly stupid and irresponsible.
Who are these "apologists"? Am I one because I choose not to drop harsh judgment on him without knowing all the details?
We know that he didn't challenge his placement before the last positive drug test that got him busted. Both he and his agent said so and while they could certainly be lying, anything they're hiding could only make him look worse. No, you're. It an apologist. I was speaking more of the ITS types that are all over everyone's jock and no one does anything wrong and it's all a conspiracy against Seattle, until they're off the squad and then it's good riddance.

Alkahsu said:
Bennett got his ring, now he is looking to get paid. There is no way he stays in Seattle.
Who else won't stay in Seattle?

Just giving you a hard, it looked like he was on his way out the door. This just reiterates that the power and draw of the 12th man should never be underestimated. The players love the Seattle fans.
I really thought after his hospitalization and realization it could all be over in one play, that he would chase the money. I was wrong.

No way in hell do Thomas and Sherman sign extensions. ;)

Who's next? Rumors?

Signing Hauschka?

Jared Allen?

Sounds like we might be out of the Ware sweepstakes, but nothing surprises me anymore....

Who's next? Rumors?

Signing Hauschka?

Jared Allen?

Sounds like we might be out of the Ware sweepstakes, but nothing surprises me anymore....
Well, Jared Allen makes sense as we were rumored to be trying to trade for him last year. I'm not sure what kind of a deal we would be interested in doing but you have to think it would be a 2 or 3 year deal only.

I really like Clemons and I think he's excelled in our situational position, but Allen would be a beast in this defense. An absolutely beast.

Who's next? Rumors?

Signing Hauschka?

Jared Allen?

Well, Jared Allen makes sense as we were rumored to be trying to trade for him last year. I'm not sure what kind of a deal we would be interested in doing but you have to think it would be a 2 or 3 year deal only.

I really like Clemons and I think he's excelled in our situational position, but Allen would be a beast in this defense. An absolutely beast.
2 year $12-14 million would be nice, basically replacing Clemons.

Even a 1 year deal would be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's next? Rumors?

Signing Hauschka?

Jared Allen?

Hearsay... but I read Allen would be willing to take 2-4 million per season for a legitimate shot at the SB.

Jason Hatcher, Jared Allen, and Finley visiting and/or are in discussions with the Hawks.
We have an estimated $10M in cap space left right now, but you have to think:

- Clemons' cap number is $9.7M and we'd save $7.5M cutting him ($2.16M dead money). If Allen will go for less we kind of have to take that deal.

- Zach Miller's cap number is $7M and we'd save $5M cutting him ($2M dead money). With the re-signing of McCoy you have to think if Finley comes to Seattle we will be dropping Miller. Finley will certainly cost less than $5M as he'll be on a 1 or 2 year prove it deal.

I like Hatcher, but given his 2013 stats he isn't coming cheap.

Who's next? Rumors?

Signing Hauschka?

Jared Allen?

Hearsay... but I read Allen would be willing to take 2-4 million per season for a legitimate shot at the SB.
Wow, if that is the case get him to sign on the dotted line NOW.

With Austin Howard headed to Oakland, the Jets are making a “strong push” to sign offensive tackle Breno Giacomini, according to ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter, who reports (via Twitter) that the free agent tackle will visit with the team on Wednesday.

I think that with Red and Clinton gone and McDaniel still not re-signed, a run stopping DE/DL is more needed than another pass defender. Hate to lose Clem and his motor now that Reds gone too. He's only a year off of major knee surgery so of course his numbers are down. Not sure what Hatchers strengths are but run stuffing is more of a need than pass rush IMO.

Looks like we're cutting (or have cut) Chris Clemons. Thanks for the ride Clem; I hope for a great future career for you.

I wonder if this is ahead of a signing and we're freeing up money? The two that come to mind are Jared Allen or Golden Tate. Both however I wouldn't want for a price higher than $5M or so (and there are whispers Allen will go for a discount to get a ring).

Albert BreerVerified account‏@AlbertBreer 41m

The Seahawks have released DE Chris Clemons, per source.

If we sign Allen, I will absolutely freak out....in a good way.

The report is he's looking for "real" compensation otherwise he'll retire. That sound you just heard was Schneider crossing his name out of the list of players we want.

The report is he's looking for "real" compensation otherwise he'll retire. That sound you just heard was Schneider crossing his name out of the list of players we want.
It's also the sound of reason when looking to buy a player's jersey. When we made the uniform switch, Clem and Bryant were 1a and 1b of who I wanted to get. One was the motor of the D and the other was the captain. I couldn't find either and today I realize how pissed I'd be if I had. Now pass another pass rushing DE is needed as well as run stuffers. I trust the twins but they're also fallible at times so hard not to be disappointed.

Wonder why they waited? Trying to get his deal restructured? Clem played pretty damn well for having the surgery he did last year around this time, but his numbers and play last year can't necessarily be what would get him a huge deal. I'' be interested to find out what that was all about.

....and adios to Golden Tate who just signed a 5-year deal with Detroit.

This should be an interesting FA for sure.

If Finley comes to Seattle, where do you rank him?
We don't use our TEs for a lot more than blocking so I would think even a spry Finley doesn't actually equate to more than TE12. Zach Miller (in my 0.5 PPR) was TE24 last year and I don't see it getting too much better.

Tate loss doesn't sting in my mind, not sure how others are feeling. I will miss his PR's.

Is Jared Allen willing to call it quits?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the veteran pass rusher might do exactly that if he doesn't see the money he believes he deserves on the open market.

"He wants his market value, he wants his fair salary, and if he does not get it, Jared Allen is very much at peace," Rapoport said on NFL Network's "Free Agency Frenzy." "... He is willing to simply go about his life and walk away from football."

Initially a free-agent target for the Broncos, the former Minnesota Vikings defensive end watched as DeMarcus Ware, released by Dallas on Tuesday, has "essentially jumped in and taken his spot (in Denver)," as Rapoport put it.

Allen, like Ware, belongs to a productive but aging crop of free-agent edge rushers struggling to get paid as teams set their sights on younger targets. After averaging nearly 13 sacks per season during his 10 years in the league, Allen isn't averse to pulling the plug on his decorated career.

"I will tell you this," Rapoport said. "Jared Allen has a ton of admiration for Barry Sanders, who walked away from football while still having his best, still able to play at a high level. He walked on his own terms, it's something Jared Allen has always respected."

We still wonder if a team like Seattle -- currently in talks with Allen -- could nab him for less. After all, the Seahawks offer Allen a chance to do what Sanders, in all his glory, never did: Go out a winner.

UPDATE: After Ware signed his three-year, $30 million deal with the Broncos on Wednesday, Rapoport reported that Denver initially had the exact same offer on the table for Allen, according to a source informed of the team's situation.

Allen would have taken that deal, too, but Rapoport was told the Broncos made him wait as they huddled with Ware. Tough pill to swallow, as it won't be easy for Allen to land that kind of money elsewhere.

nfl.com

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 55s
Seahawks and DT Tony McDaniel reached agreement, per league source. Seattle keeps one of its own.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 55s

Seahawks and DT Tony McDaniel reached agreement, per league source. Seattle keeps one of its own.
This is a pretty underrated move right now, but if one of Hill, Scruggs, or Williams doesn't pan out for 2014 we're going to love this.

"I will tell you this," Rapoport said. "Jared Allen has a ton of admiration for Barry Sanders, who walked away from football while still having his best, still able to play at a high level. He walked on his own terms, it's something Jared Allen has always respected."

We still wonder if a team like Seattle -- currently in talks with Allen -- could nab him for less. After all, the Seahawks offer Allen a chance to do what Sanders, in all his glory, never did: Go out a winner.
Barry quit because he didn't love football. Nothing wrong with that but I don't think quitting because you don't want to go to your job anymore is something to admire and try to emulate.

Free agent DT Henry Melton will visit the Seahawks on Friday.
As if the Seahawks needed to get stronger up front on the defensive line. Melton, 27, entered free agency as our No. 12 overall player available and would have been higher if he wasn't coming off a September torn ACL. Melton's market has been relatively quiet -- he's visited the Vikings -- but if he's struggling to find better than one-year offers, going to Seattle to rehab his value on a prove-it deal could be the best option. Melton had 13 sacks from 2011-12.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks are interested in re-signing free agent Sidney Rice.
Rice could take Golden Tate's old spot on the perimeter of Seattle's offense. Rice was released by the Seahawks in a needed cap maneuver, but the club still believes he can help their passing game. When healthy, Rice remains an effective winner of jump-balls and can score touchdowns. He's also only 27.

Danny 710ESPNSeattle ‏@BrocknDanny 4m
TE Zach Miller agrees to new deal with the #Seahawks. New contract will allow him to stay with team 2014 AND 2015.

TE Zach Miller agrees to new deal with the #Seahawks. New contract will allow him to stay with team 2014 AND 2015.
This is pretty exciting as he was a very valuable in-line blocker. I was concerned we were taking his blocking for granted since we haven't had great O-line health in years. Now we just need to solidify our pass-catching TE. If Finley is actually healthy he could come cheap...

This is pretty exciting as he was a very valuable in-line blocker. I was concerned we were taking his blocking for granted since we haven't had great O-line health in years. Now we just need to solidify our pass-catching TE. If Finley is actually healthy he could come cheap...
Someone should talk Finley out of playing in the NFC West. I don't think that is the best division for someone to play in coming off cervical spine surgery. He needs to play in the NFC East where tackling is discouraged,

Free agent DT Henry Melton will visit the Seahawks on Friday.
As if the Seahawks needed to get stronger up front on the defensive line. Melton, 27, entered free agency as our No. 12 overall player available and would have been higher if he wasn't coming off a September torn ACL. Melton's market has been relatively quiet -- he's visited the Vikings -- but if he's struggling to find better than one-year offers, going to Seattle to rehab his value on a prove-it deal could be the best option. Melton had 13 sacks from 2011-12.
Jesus....this defense is just loaded.

After being concerned with Hauschka in 2012 he really came through nicely in 2013 and I'm happy to have him back. At $3.05M/year averaged his contract is not even in the top 10 for 2014 so it was an extremely team-friendly deal at first glance.

Haus-money!

We just need a DT, RT and WR and then we are set! If any bargains appear thats just gravy.

After being concerned with Hauschka in 2012 he really came through nicely in 2013 and I'm happy to have him back. At $3.05M/year averaged his contract is not even in the top 10 for 2014 so it was an extremely team-friendly deal at first glance.

Users who are viewing this thread