What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2014 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (1 Viewer)

Sherman extension :thumbup:

4 years 57m, 40 guaranteed. That's a lot of guaranteed money. Here's hoping he keeps playing like he has been.
Holy balls that's a huge contract.

$40M GUARANTEED! That's insane. That's QB-money.

I know Sherman is good, but wow. He was a 6th round draft pick, ffs. It's not like he's even the most athletic cornerback out there.
Pretty sure you're wrong on both bold sections here.

Thomas, Chancellor and Sherman all locked up, the LOB is here to stay!

Last edited by a moderator:

4 years 57m, 40 guaranteed. That's a lot of guaranteed money. Here's hoping he keeps playing like he has been.

I know Sherman is good, but wow. He was a 6th round draft pick, ffs. It's not like he's even the most athletic cornerback out there.
Thats less per year than what Revis got from the Jets several years ago. with the cap going up it will be less of a hit. obv we need to keep hitting in the draft but you could say that about any other team.

EDIT: Actually that is not completely true, but he did get paid 16 million for some years. Anyone know for sure how it compares to Revis?

I'd like if they got Su'a-Filo if he is still there, otherwise Jernigan or Bitonio. Something on either line is preferable.

Trading down seven spots and getting a 4th in return was smart, several guys in this spot the team needs. Gotta think they'll go lines and WR with their two 2nds, 3rd, and two 4th round picks.

I'd like if they got Su'a-Filo if he is still there, otherwise Jernigan or Bitonio. Something on either line is preferable.

Trading down seven spots and getting a 4th in return was smart, several guys in this spot the team needs. Gotta think they'll go lines and WR with their two 2nds, 3rd, and two 4th round picks.
i'm thinking the same.

Won't be shocked to see them take the physical freak from Minnesota (Ra'Shede Hageman). Sounds like a perfect fit in Seattle as a Bryant replacement.

Also like Kony Ealy as a LEO or either of the two O-linemen Doc D mentioned above. I bet they hold off on the WR position until later.

Ton of WRs in this draft. I think if Cody Latimer is there at 2.32 you have to take him though, he's gonna be a beast.

From CBS:

PLAYER OVERVIEW The NFL is a sucker for speed at the receiver position, and few possess a more exciting combination of height and explosiveness than Richardson. Despite limited weapons around him, Richardson scored 20 touchdowns during his illustrious career with the Buffaloes, averaging an eye-popping 41.8 yards per score. Richardson answered critics who questioned his ability to stay healthy with a career-high 79 receptions for 1,280 yards and 10 scores for Colorado in 2013, proving remarkably explosive after missing the 2012 season with a torn ACL.

Richardson's less than ideal frame might best be protected as a third or fourth receiver in the NFL. Considering how often teams utilize multiple receiver sets in today's pass-happy offenses, that won't necessarily mean that he'll make it out of the top 100.

Can a player play a full career without the torn ACL coming back to hamper him at some point in his career? Especially one when he was still growing and developing a little bit? I guess Willis Magahee ended up alright so that's hopeful

Can a player play a full career without the torn ACL coming back to hamper him at some point in his career? Especially one when he was still growing and developing a little bit? I guess Willis Magahee ended up alright so that's hopeful
No, an ACL is replacement surgery so once the tendon is back to full health, the player should be fine. This is especially true if the surgery happens right after the injury, that reduces the chances of damage to other parts of the knee via floating cartilage, arthritis, and damage due to using the knee when it is injured.

Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Darrell Revis, Jeremy Maclin, etc are recent examples of full recoveries. The younger you are, the less it will impact you and if Richardson is running a 4.3 at the combine and is planting and doing all the drills, he's fine. Once you play in a few games after an ACL you're good, I know, I am an ACL guy myself. He'll wear #10 BTW.

Tons do. Frank Gore is a good example.

Scout comments on Cassius Marsh, Kevin Norwood, Kevin Pierre-Louis

Posted by Bob Condotta

Here is some of what Seattle area scouts had to say about the first three players the Seahawks drafted on Saturday.

— First, UCLA DL Cassius Marsh, who was scouted by Seattle west coast scout Tyler Ramsey:

“He was really versatile,” Ramsey said, noting Marsh came in at 300 pounds and played three-technique DT and then lost about 50 pounds and played end.

“Playing a multitude of spots, kind of like Mike Bennett, is what really stood out,” Ramsey said.

“He’s been as big as 300, so ideally in the 270s would probably be better and he knows it,” Ramsey said.

What also stood out is his hand strength and ability to shed blockers.

“He definitely has the strength in his hands right now, so I see no problems there,” Ramsey said.

— Next, Alabama WR Kevin Norwood, who was scouted by Southeast area scout Jim Nagy:

“Really for our team, what stood out the most is he is very clutch,” Nagy said, noting that Norwood tended to be the player the Tide went to most often in critical situations. “The kid always shows up. Really dependable.”

What Nagy also liked is Norwood’s ability to “go off script” and make plays when protection breaks down, something that is a key in working with Russell Wilson.

Norwood had just 38 receptions as a senior and 81 for his career playing in a balanced and run-oriented Alabama offense, and Nagy said he thinks “that’s why he was a little undervalued because of his production. I’ve been thinking he will be a more productive pro than a college player because of what they do.”

Nagy said Norwood has experience playing both inside and outside and won’t necessarily be plugged in specifically anywhere with the Seahawks. He also noted his ability to make plays in traffic and the red zone.

“His contested catch stuff is unbelievable,” Nagy said.

— Next, Boston College LB Kevin Pierre-Louis, scouted by Northwest area scout Todd Brunner.

Brunner called Pierre-Louis “my favorite kid in the whole draft just to watch. … this kid is unbelievable.”

Brunner began to walk about how Pierre-Louis reminded him of a player he scouted for the 49ers. When pressed on who that was, Brunner responded “NaVorro (Bowman).”

“He’s just fun to watch play football,” Brunner said.

Brunner said Pierre-Louis played last season in the 220-224-pound range but now is up to 236 — “a solid 236,” Brunner said.

Brunner said he scouted Pierre-Louis as a linebacker and that it will be up to the coaches to decide if he plays safety.

“Athletically, he could fit anywhere,” Brunner said.

Seattle appears set with three starting LBs, so special teams will be a key for Pierre-Louis making the team.

Said Brunner: “He’ll definitely make an impact on special teams here.”

Seahawks just drafted all the high SPARQ guys which basically are phenominal athletes, not necessarily refined football players. The one guy in the draft I really like is OT Garrett Scott who ran a 5.04 40 and had a 33.5" vertical at pro day while weighing 305 pounds. Some of the peanut gallery also likes the Kevin Norwood selection, but I think those two receivers they got are both project types although Norwood will be an immediate impact special teams guy.

So

2 WRs

2 OTs

2 D lineman

1 LB

1 FS

1 pick remaining

So on paper that looks like they filled the holes. I thought they might grab a RB also, maybe with their last pick.

I thought they might grab a RB also, maybe with their last pick.
Good call. Small from Arkansas looks to be a FB. Dude is only like 5'8", but they list him at 244 lbs. That's a pretty beefy 5'8".
"Stout"

lol

Yeah I thought they might grab a RB around the 5th but I think there is a lot of value in RBs these days. I just don't see Turbin as the answer if something happens to Marshawn, and Michael is still a relative unknown. I think this draft may speak volumes about the team's confidence in Michael though, we just can't expect Lynch to continue to produce at this level forever.

I like the draft though, not a fan of Britt but they made it up and then some with Scott, and Cassius Marsh could be a huge steal if he's not a problem off the field. Carroll knows these guys though and the vets will have him in line, he really could be a monster as the season progresses. We brag as fans of this team about the speed this team has, this draft just amplified that message. Pierre-Lewis is a great example, guy is safety-like and is a sideline to sideline gem. We love that right?

I dunno guys, I heard Kiper gave the draft a D+. Mel Kiper. I'm not sure we'll be able to recover from that.

I dunno guys, I heard Kiper gave the draft a D+. Mel Kiper. I'm not sure we'll be able to recover from that.
Seattle Seahawks
Best Pick: It's second-round receiver Paul Richardson. The offense needed another speedy playmaker outside and he has that ability.

Questionable move: They like tough guys and Missouri's Justin Britt is that, but taking him in the second round might be a little high.

Third-day gem: I love fourth-round defensive end Cassius Marsh. He really showed up on tape when I watched UCLA's Anthony Barr.

Analysis: The Seahawks traded out of the first round to get more picks and did a nice job -- as usual -- with them. General manager John Schneider is a shrewd drafter.

Grade: B+

Draft overall went well, IMO. The only thing I worry about is the OLine, we had a pretty subpar unit there for a lot of the year because of injuries. Being in the NFC West doesn't help that situation at all. I wish they had taken a blue chip Guard/Tackle. But I think the strategy of restocking the depth of the team is important, since we will have cap issues in the near future and a lot of talent will leave the team.

Sherman was a CA state champ in the triple jump, had a personal best 10.7 100 m. and a 38" VJ.But it is his instincts and football IQ that have enabled him to rise to the apex of the CB food chain.

Which Seahawks tribute to the 49ers rivalry would you prefer: eternally becoming the "Super Bowl 49ers" in 2015, or literally taking a Lombardi Trophy from their home to ours after hoisting it on their turf in front of a Super Bowl-sized audience in 2016?

What do we think about Lynch holding out for more money?

I don't think he was very likely to see next year's part of this contract, much less get a new one. I love Beast Mode, but he's by far the most replaceable star on the team, imo.

I don't think he was very likely to see next year's part of this contract, much less get a new one. I love Beast Mode, but he's by far the most replaceable star on the team, imo.
What's that? Couldn't hear you over the thunderous celebration of all the Christine Michael dynasty owners.

So, no talk about signing Kevin Williams? I'm pretty pumped up about that one since I have been growing concerned about our D-line.

I will believe it when I see it. I think one reporter speculated, and then it's just snowballed from there. As far as being replaceable, Turbin hasn't impressed me and we know nothing of Michael. If anything, he retires as he has hinted to that several times over the season.

Whether Seahawks tailback Marshawn Lynch reports to the club’s mandatory minicamp next week remains something of a mystery.

However, there’s another intriguing potential plot twist that’s worth monitoring.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported Thursday that Lynch suggested to a pair of unnamed teammates that he might retire if the Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII. Also, Rapoport quoted an unnamed source who claims Lynch “could” step away from the game.

Should Lynch return for 2014, he would likely remain the Seahawks’ featured back and one of the keys to their offense. He has exceeded 1,000 yards rushing in each of the last three seasons for Seattle. Overall, the 28-year-old Lynch has rushed for 7,389 yards in regular season play since entering the league in 2007.

With the Seahawks’ season opener 84 days away, there is plenty of time to let this story breathe a little, so to speak. Even if Lynch were to skip the minicamp, it would be a mere footnote if he reported to training camp in July.

Lynch has two years left on his current deal, with multiple published reports suggesting he is not pleased with his contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/12/report-lynch-talked-of-potentially-retiring-if-seahawks-won-super-bowl/

Sherman, Bates In Minicamp Scuffle

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11104947/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-keys-minicamp-scuffle

Even the Super Bowl champs get a little angry with each other every now and then, including a team scuffle during Wednesday's minicamp practice for the Seattle Seahawks.

The coaches probably would prefer their $56 million cornerback not do his Mike Tyson impression, but Richard Sherman came to blows with receiver Phil Bates, which resulted in a team scuffle between the offense and the defense.

Both Sherman and Bates landed blows to the other's head, but neither player was injured..............

Video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5qKTTpnxE

Sherman, Bates In Minicamp Scuffle

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11104947/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-keys-minicamp-scuffle

Even the Super Bowl champs get a little angry with each other every now and then, including a team scuffle during Wednesday's minicamp practice for the Seattle Seahawks.

The coaches probably would prefer their $56 million cornerback not do his Mike Tyson impression, but Richard Sherman came to blows with receiver Phil Bates, which resulted in a team scuffle between the offense and the defense.

Both Sherman and Bates landed blows to the other's head, but neither player was injured..............

Video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df5qKTTpnxE
I actually expect this to happen from time to time when you have a team full of highly competitive people. Besides, the most interesting part of the video was at 1:50 when Paul Richardson is so far behind the defense you can't even tell who got burned.

What's your favorite move the Seahawks have made in the past 6 years? Hiring Pete Carroll, trading for Lynch, drafting Russell or Sherman, etc its hard to choose.

What's your favorite move the Seahawks have made in the past 6 years? Hiring Pete Carroll, trading for Lynch, drafting Russell or Sherman, etc its hard to choose.
Adopting the general philosophy that salary means nothing and production is everything.

1. Playing Wilson over Flynn.

1a. Playing Wright over Curry.

In both cases the team benched a much higher paid prominent signing for a later draft pick making lots less money.

I think a case can also be made for the way the team seeks out talent. They bring in guys who have singular talents. Odd dimensions with specialized abilities. For example, they slid DT Red Bryant over to DE and basically created a 3 DT front. Sort of playing a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel. Long and tall cornerbacks in Sherman and Browner. A SS in Bam Bam Kam that looks and plays more like an undersized LB. They've fully embraced the concept of mismatches wherever they can find them. Another way to put this is they like to win the game coming off the bus. Size and speed. They more the better.

TenTimes said:
If I had to pick one move it would be drafting Russell Wilson. I had hoped they would take him in round 2 ( http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=634877&hl=%2Brussell+%2Bwilson+%2Bdraft ), and was ecstatic when he was there in round 3 and they drafted him.

What I like most about PC and JS is they have a plan/vision and stick to it despite what others may say. I think in Carroll's previous stops that was the one thing he regretted....he didn't do it his way.

TenTimes said:
Hiring Pete Carroll for me. He brought in John Schneider, instilled a competition attitude, and had a clear vision of how he wanted his defense. In return, Schneider was able to run with that vision by identifying great players and, most importantly, Russell Wilson. I can't think of any chain of events that would rival that in terms of importance.

TenTimes said:
If I had to pick one move it would be drafting Russell Wilson. I had hoped they would take him in round 2 ( http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=634877&hl=%2Brussell+%2Bwilson+%2Bdraft ), and was ecstatic when he was there in round 3 and they drafted him.

What I like most about PC and JS is they have a plan/vision and stick to it despite what others may say. I think in Carroll's previous stops that was the one thing he regretted....he didn't do it his way.
When all is said and done, the Wilson pick in the '12 3rd rd will rival the '79 SF Montana pick.

Users who are viewing this thread