What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Show Off Your New Toys (1 Viewer)

Whoosah

Footballguy
Figured we should get a thread going for all your rookie picks in the upcoming drafts you may have. To keep things neat, organized and consistent, please list your picks out like this for everyone:

Round, Pick - Player, Team, Position

Let's get it done!

Surprised this thread didn't get more action. Maybe too many drafts are still going on. At any rate, I like the idea as it should give some context to where rookies are going.

Guys I've landed thus far.

32 team, IDP, flex with PPR

1.25 25. Freeman, Devonta ATL RB

2.20 52. Attaochu, Jeremiah SDC LB

32 team, IDP, flex with PPR

1.17 17. Hill, Jeremy CIN RB

2.07 39. Niklas, Troy ARI TE

2.12 44. Lawrence, Demarcus DAL DE

3.07 71. Ealy, Kony CAR DE

14 team, standard scoring, flex, 1 devy player

2.13 27. Amaro, Jace NYJ TE

3.07 35. McKinnon, Jerick MIN RB

3.13 41. RB Jay Ajayi Boise State

4.05 47. Brown, John ARI WR

4.13 55. Evans, Shaq NYJ WR

Some general observations.

- After Ebron there seems to be good value in the TEs. ASJ, Amaro and Niklas are all going way later.

- For IDP leagues, DEs seem to be going late and that's surprising. Most of the top DE prospects landing in LB roles. There are only a few with real solid potential IMO but they are being over looked.

- People love themselves WRs in this class. WRs are going fast and often.

16-team IDP: 20 starters, 1 QB, 0-3 RB, 0-5 WR, 1-3 TE, PK, 1-3 DT, 2 DE, 1-4 LB, 2-3 CB, 1-3 S

1.06 - Bishop Sankey (RB - TEN) -- I think this was nothing short of highway robbery, even with the starting requirements

1.11 - Marqise Lee (WR - JAC) -- Right where he should be going and feel OK about the pick

2.01 - JaDaveon Clowney (LB - HOU) - Total reach but I think he can put up LB2 numbers given our scoring system

2.10 - Johnny Manziel (QB - CLE) - I think he fell, had no project/taxi squad QB

2.15 - Aaron Donald (DT - STL) - Will be HUGE in this league's scoring system

3.06 - Christian Kirksey (LB - CLE) - I'm set at LB but thought this was a solid grab

3.14 - Charles Sims (RB - TBB) - Higher than most on this guy but think he has a solid opportunity. Not sold on Martin.

4.10 - C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE - HOU) - Missed on the "big" TEs. I like him in the HOU offense.

5.16 - Bradley Roby (CB - DEN) - Should start opposite Talib, which means a crapload of chances

Done with 6 of 7 drafts. Excluding UDFA longshots, here's who I got and on how many teams I own them:

Eric Ebron - 5

Allen Robinson - 3

Tre Mason - 2

Blake Bortles - 1
Mike Evans - 1
Jimmy Garoppolo - 1
Jeremy Hill - 1
Lache Seastrunk - 1
Terrance West - 1
Andre Williams - 1

Usually my picks are concentrated on a smaller population of players, but I've taken lots of "what the heck" picks this year on guys I wasn't specifically targeting like Hill, Garoppolo, Bortles, and West because of how far they had fallen in those specific drafts.

The Ebron/Robinson/Mason trio probably represents "my guys" at each respective skill position. I would expect at least one of those guys to find his way onto my roster in my 7th and final draft of the year.

I've had ONE dynasty draft of 2. This one was a 16 Team TE Premium PPR (.75-1.00-1.50, RB-WR-TE) non-IDP

9 Starters consist of: 1QB / 1-3RB / 2-4WR / 1-3 TE / 1PK / 1DEF (2FLEX)

1.07 - Odell Beckham Jr - WR - NYG: Wasn't expecting him to fall here so he wasn't really on my radar. I hesitate on his size but I couldn't pass up his value. Plus the NYGs seem to hit on WRs more than most teams, so I had to strongly consider that.

1.08 - Davante Adams - WR - GBP: I've been in love with him since February and really like his landing spot. He is a bit of a risk as well because of said landing spot but his college production was incredible and most of his metrics are elite.

1.15 - Cody Latimer - WR - DEN: Again, great value that fell so I had to take him. I needed RBs more in this league but there were still a few I was on the fence about. Love Latimer's upside especially if he gets 2 years with Manning.

2.01 - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - TBB: In a TE premium league, I had to take him here. I'm pretty luke warm on this TE class but this value was too good to pass up on.

2.06 - Tre Mason - RB - STL: And I finally got my RB and my personal #2. So to get my #2 RB in a class with no clear front-runner was a big WIN, imo. I'm pretty sure Mason can be an effective lead back in the NFL. In a class with no elite RBs, getting a guy with as good a chance as any to be relative with the 20th overall pick… I like that risk/reward ratio!

16-team IDP: 20 starters, 1 QB, 0-3 RB, 0-5 WR, 1-3 TE, PK, 1-3 DT, 2 DE, 1-4 LB, 2-3 CB, 1-3 S

1.06 - Bishop Sankey (RB - TEN) -- I think this was nothing short of highway robbery, even with the starting requirements

1.11 - Marqise Lee (WR - JAC) -- Right where he should be going and feel OK about the pick

2.01 - JaDaveon Clowney (LB - HOU) - Total reach but I think he can put up LB2 numbers given our scoring system

2.10 - Johnny Manziel (QB - CLE) - I think he fell, had no project/taxi squad QB

3.06 - Christian Kirksey (LB - CLE) - I'm set at LB but thought this was a solid grab

3.14 - Charles Sims (RB - TBB) - Higher than most on this guy but think he has a solid opportunity. Not sold on Martin.

4.10 - C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE - HOU) - Missed on the "big" TEs. I like him in the HOU offense.

5.16 - Bradley Roby (CB - DEN) - Should start opposite Talib, which means a crapload of chances
You're my boy, blue!!

So D - is Sankey a "can't miss" in your eyes? I really want him but I'm not completely sold on him to justify an early enough pick. I'll trust your intuition if you say so.

12 team PPR. Q/R/W/T/F/F/F

1.09 Davante Adams

2.01 Donte Moncrief

2.02 Kelvin Benjamin

3.05 Jarvis Landry

12 team 0.5RB/1.0WR/1.5TE PPR. Q/R/R/W/W/T/F

1.06 Odell Beckham

1.09 Davante Adams

1.10 Jeremy Hill

2.08 ASJ (wasn't targeting him but hard to pass up here in a TE-heavy league)

3.04 Teddy Bridgewater

4.04 Dri Archer

4.07 Tyler Gaffney

12 team PPR. Q/R/R/W/W/T/F/F

1.07 Jordan Matthews

2.04 Davonte Moncrief

3.04 Jarvis Landry

12 team PPR. Q/R/R/W/W/W/T/F. Draft in progress...

1.03 Odell Beckham

1.05 Jordan Matthews

1.11 Davonte Moncrief

You're my boy, blue!!

So D - is Sankey a "can't miss" in your eyes? I really want him but I'm not completely sold on him to justify an early enough pick. I'll trust your intuition if you say so.
He lacks "elite" speed, but I think that may be overrated. He's fast enough.

The guy just does everything very well, including pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield. Runs on the inside and can cut to the edge.

Well conditioned and durable. Great vision and shows good burst when needed.

I saw a special (can't remember if it was NFLN or ESPN) that followed him and 4 other draft prospects (including Marqise Lee, Clowney, Bortles and a small school kid) and I was blown away. The kid has a great head on his shoulders, comes from a solid family (pops was an USAF sargeant) and the kid appears to just "get it".

I know there's another FBG'er here that has been slobbering over him for months now. I'm on the bandwagon. I think he's the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're my boy, blue!!

The guy just does everything very well, including pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield. Runs on the inside and can cut to the edge.

I saw a special (can't remember if it was NFLN or ESPN) that followed him and 4 other draft prospects (including Marqise Lee, Clowney, Bortles and a small school kid) and I was blown away. The kid has a great head on his shoulders, comes from a solid family (pops was an USAF sargeant) and the kid appears to just "get it".

I know there's another FBG'er here that has been slobbering over him for months now. I'm on the bandwagon. I think he's the real deal.
When I watch him on tape, I like very much what I see. From the tape alone, he appears (to me) to be the best RB in the class. I'm not sure I see his lower body power (broad jump) translate to power when I watch him on tape and that concerns me a little. He also seems to be Ray Rice but not as fast. It's nit picky I know, but those are some of the reasons I'm hesitant.

Appreciate the input :thanks:

12 team 1pt ppr .5 pt for carries

1.6 Hyde

1.9 cooks

2.7 latimer

3.1 storm j

3.9 martavis Bryant

3.6 asj

3.7 McKinnon

You're my boy, blue!!

When I watch him on tape, I like very much what I see. From the tape alone, he appears (to me) to be the best RB in the class. I'm not sure I see his lower body power (broad jump) translate to power when I watch him on tape and that concerns me a little. He also seems to be Ray Rice but not as fast. It's nit picky I know, but those are some of the reasons I'm hesitant.

Appreciate the input :thanks:
I don't see much Ray Rice in him at all. Some doubt his ability to be a bellcow back but I honestly don't see why he couldn't be given his ability to run inside and out and pass protect. I'm not saying he'll carry the ball 25 times a game for his entire career but I think he has RB1 talent/opportunity.

12 team PPR. Q/R/R/W/W/W/T/F

1.4 Brandin Cooks

3.1 Andre Williams

4.1 Paul Richardson

5.1 Dri Archer

6.1 Tim Cornet

12 team PPR. Q/R/R/W/W/T/F/QB Flex

2.6 Allen Robinson

2.7 Tre Mason

3.6 Andre Williams

4.6 Zach Mettenberger

12 team PPR. Q/R/R/W/W/W/T/F (start up)

6.8 Brandin Cooks

7.5 Devante Adams

12.10 Andre Williams

16.10 Blake Bortles

17.3 Jerick McKinnon

18.10 Shaq Evans

19.3 Brandon Coleman

20.10 Dri Archer

24.10 George Atkinson

25.3 Rajion Neal

Just finished my 3rd rookie draft

league 1 - 12 team ppr

Brandin cooks 1.06

Carlos Hyde 1.09

Marqis Lee 1.11

Andre Williams 2.09

Jerick Mckinnon 3.10

league 2 - 12 team ppr

Andre Williams - 2.09

Leage 3 - 10 man standard scoring deep keeper (keep 12/20 roster spots)

Bishop Sankey - 1.04

Kelvin Benjamin 1.06

Jordan Mathews 2.06

Austin Seferian Jenkins 3.06

General takeaway from those posted thus far is that Jace Amaro is going later than I thought he would. Maybe I am missing something, but are there really 20+ prospects at WR/RB/QB/TE more regarded than him?

16 team league (TE premium) with IDP

1.6 ODB

1.11 traded for 2.4 and 2.13 picks

2.4 Allen Robinson

2.10 Jace Amaro

2.13 Christian Kirksey

3.3 Terence West

3.6 Isaiah Crowell

4.6 Lamin Barrow

I have both Tate and Gerhart. I opted for the handcuff for Tate. I wasn't happy having to spend another pick on Crowell too but his upside was too great to pass on. Even if he doesn't stick with the Browns, he could get picked up elsewhere and have a shot.

I've had more than this, but here are my drafts in leagues where I have a number of picks...

12 Team PPR

1.01 - Sammy Watkins

2.01 - Allen Robinson

2.04 - Donte Moncrief

3.03 - Teddy Bridgewater

3.05 - Paul Richardson

12 Team PPR

1.06 - Jordan Mathews

1.10 - Kelvin Benjamin

1.13 (bonus for winning toilet bowl) - Allen Robinson

2.03 - Donte Moncrief

3.03 - Storm Johnson

3.04 - Paul Richardson

4.03 - Derek Carr

4.04 - Jared Abbrederis

12 Team PPR (devy league - already have Watkins and Bridgewater)

1.08 - Kelvin Benjamin

1.12 - Allen Robinson

2.10 - Paul Richardson

12 Team PPR

2.04 - Kelvin Benjamin

2.11 - Devonta Freeman

2.12 - Kadeem Carey

4.02 - Jared Abbrederis

4.08 - Josh Huff

It's not hard to spot the trends. I went into the draft season expecting to pick up Robinson, Moncrief, Richardson, and Abbrederis. Benjamin was one of those things that just kind of happened, as he kept being available at spots where I liked him better than the other options. When I drafted him at 1.10 it was actually an error in my pre-draft, but I got lucky when I was able to draft up to get Allen Robinson (who I had ahead of him) anyway.

14 team PPR

1.04 - Cooks

1.06 - Matthews

1.07 - Robinson

1.13 - Lee

2.06 - Amaro

2.13 - McKinnon

3.04 - Richardson

3.13 - Talifiero

4.06 - Bruce Ellington

4.13 - John Brown

12 team PPR - TE premium 1.5 PPR

1.09 - Adams

2.01 - Lee

2.04 - ASJ

3.09 - McKinnon

4.09 - Talifiero

12 team PPR

1.06 - Sankey

3.03 - McKinnon

3.07 - Richardson

12 team PPR (ongoing)

1.01 - Watkins

1.04 - Cooks

1.07 - Robinson

1.12 - Adams

2.07 - Lee

3.06 - probably McKinnon or Richardson again

Wasn't really targeting Lee, but he kept falling. If he had come out after 2012 he would have been a top 3-5 rookie pick. Then he got hurt and obviously played hurt, so it is worth a fairly cheap flyer at picks 13-20 which is where I got him over the not-very-athletic RBs there. Was targeting Robinson, Cooks and Adams where I could get them. I targeted McKinnon and Richardson in the 3rd of all drafts. Loved McKinnon both on tape and athletically, plus decently drafted in the 3rd by Minny. Seattle spent a high pick on Richardson, and he came cheaply as well IMO. Missed out on Moncrief everywhere and kinda liked him, which I will surely be very happy or very sad about in 2 years. Just not sure which yet, lol.

1.10 Allen Robinson

2.02 Devante Adams

2.05 Martavus Bryant

2.09 Johnny Manziel

4.10 Jerrick McKinnon

6.10 Lorenzo Taliaferro

7.10 Rob Branchflower

10 team non ppr

Not sure if anyone reads these, but here's one I just finished up... 12 team PPR (1 RB min); 1.5 points per tackle.

1.04 - Odell Beckham

2.01 - Davante Adams

3.04 - Austin Seferian-Jenkins

4.01 - Telvin Smith

5.04 - Christian Kirksey

6.03 - Jeremy Gallon

Since only need to start one RB, and I think RBs will be deeper next year, I passed on Sankey and Hyde for Beckham. I initially had the 2.4 and probably would have gone with Mason if I held onto it, but 2.1 went on the block and Adams was still out there, so I decided to trade 2.04 and 6.01 to move up a few spots for Adams. Thought ASJ can at least be good depth at TE (I had Gonzo; drafted Ertz last year, but little else at TE). I needed some LB help, and at 1.5 points per tackle, I thought Smith and Kirksey were excellent value. Gallon is a bit of flyer; Waldman was pretty high on him, so I thought he was worth taking a chance in the 6th at little cost.

Nothing against the OP and we have this thread every year, but to me, when you say "show off your new toys" and the toys refer to grown men, isn't it just a little bit creepy? :oldunsure:

12 Team, 1pt ppr, QRRWWWTFKD, 3 RND.

1:06 Cooks

Traded from 1:10 to 1:13 + 3:01.

1:13 Freeman/Atl

2:07 Crowell/Cle Traded 2015 RND2 and RND3 for 2:07

3:01 Landry/Mia

3:02 Williams/RB/NYG

Drafted about 1 week after NFL Draft. Didn't think Cooks would fall to 1:06. There was about 6 players bunched at 1:10 so the move to 1:13 cost me nothing. I moved to 2:07 because I REALLY wanted Crowell ($5 mil skill set, 50c head). Landry could very well be Tanny's #1 WR. The RBs in NY are very unsettled, imho, so Williams was a shot in the dark.

Manziel-2:06, Bridge-2:09, Bortles-3:07. UDFAs-Carr, Savage, Thomas, Mett, Garap; Sims,

Gaffney, Grice, Houston; Huff, Norwood, Brown/AZ, Abbred, Ellington; Fied/HOU, Lyeria, Rodgers/GB, Gilmore/Bal. There's others.

12 team ppr 12 team Non ppr

1.3- Bishop Sankey 1.1- Sammy Watkins

2.3- Allen Robinson 1.8- Jordan Matthews

3.3- Martavis Bryant 2.1- Davante Adams

4.3- Storm Johnson 2.8- Jeremy Hill

3.1- Teddy Bridgewater

4.1- Bengals Def

5.1- Travis Kelce

6.1- Gavin Escobar

7.1- Ryan Williams

12 Team IDP PPR TE premium

-

2.01 Tre Mason

3.01 Martavus Bryant

3.04 Teddy Bridgewater

4.04 Josh Huff

5.04 James White

16 team PPR and idp

1.14 Devonta Freeman

2.14 Ryan Shazier

3.14 Christian Kirksey

4.14 Troy Niklas

5.14 Brandon Coleman

I've had more than this, but here are my drafts in leagues where I have a number of picks...

12 Team PPR

1.01 - Sammy Watkins

2.01 - Allen Robinson

2.04 - Donte Moncrief

3.03 - Teddy Bridgewater

3.05 - Paul Richardson

12 Team PPR

1.06 - Jordan Mathews

1.10 - Kelvin Benjamin

1.13 (bonus for winning toilet bowl) - Allen Robinson

2.03 - Donte Moncrief

3.03 - Storm Johnson

3.04 - Paul Richardson

4.03 - Derek Carr

4.04 - Jared Abbrederis

12 Team PPR (devy league - already have Watkins and Bridgewater)

1.08 - Kelvin Benjamin

1.12 - Allen Robinson

2.10 - Paul Richardson

12 Team PPR

2.04 - Kelvin Benjamin

2.11 - Devonta Freeman

2.12 - Kadeem Carey

4.02 - Jared Abbrederis

4.08 - Josh Huff

It's not hard to spot the trends. I went into the draft season expecting to pick up Robinson, Moncrief, Richardson, and Abbrederis. Benjamin was one of those things that just kind of happened, as he kept being available at spots where I liked him better than the other options. When I drafted him at 1.10 it was actually an error in my pre-draft, but I got lucky when I was able to draft up to get Allen Robinson (who I had ahead of him) anyway.
I'm intrigued by how far Richardson was falling in more or less all your drafts... I want to target him but I'm in a huge debate with myself if he'll fall to the 3rd round in my 14 team IDP PPR leagues. Were any of the leagues above IDP? Or was he falling to the late 2nd and early 3rd in just standard rosters? Cause that'd make me feel a lot more comfortable passing on him in the early 2nd.

Somebody should collect the names and number of posts and see who we all seem to be drafting. I'm sure there have to be a few Shark Pool favorites.

Somebody should collect the names and number of posts and see who we all seem to be drafting. I'm sure there have to be a few Shark Pool favorites.
Working on this now actually, I'll edit this post when I'm done with the results.

EDIT: Here's the spreadsheet sorted by most picks... figured it'd be easiest viewed in a public google doc. If you notice any errors in team, position, spelling or counts let me know. I'll try to keep this updated as much as possible. I did not include any IDPs as there were only like 2 posts w/ IDP players in them. So I figured I'd separate them out.

Last Updated: Friday - 6/13/2014 - 9:12AM EST

Khy said:
Chimp Magnet said:
Working on this now actually, I'll edit this post when I'm done with the results.
Excellent news! Thanks!

Okay, it's up, if Woosah wants to edit his original post with the link that'd be great too.

12 team PPR, 3WR, 30 man rosters

1.02 - Mike Evans, TB WR - Traded Blackmon+1.11 for this pick in mid-Feb.

1.05 - Odell Beckham, NYG WR

1.06 - Eric Ebron, DET TE

1.07 - Jordan Matthews, PHI WR

2.03 - Donte Moncrief, IND WR

2.09 - Tre Mason, STL RB - Traded up for this pick when Mason was sitting here (2.11+3.08 for 2.09+4.04)

3.07 - Paul Richardson, SEA WR - Happy

3.12 - Storm Johnson, JAC RB

4.04 - Mike Glennon, TBB QB

Rebuilding in this league and stockpiled WR talent. I have a shoddy RB group, but wanted top capitalize on the WR's in the draft.

12 team PPR, 3WR, 30 man rosters

2.11 - Johnny Manziel, CLE QB - Very "meh" about this pick
3.04 - Jace Amaro, NYJ TE
3.05 - Lache Seastrunk, WAS RB
3.06 - Charles Sims, TBB RB

Win-now team in this league. Have Graham and Witten at TE, but thought Amaro was a fantastic value and couldn't pass him up. Heavy QB scoring in this league as well, so I thought Manziel was worth the pick at the end of the 2nd.

12 team, .5 PPR, 3WR, Contract cap, 24/4 rosters

1.03 - Odell Beckham, NYG WR - I'll probably regret not taking Sankey here in this league

2.03 - Donte Moncrief, IND WR - Passed on Kelvin Benjamin

2.09 - Allen Robinson, JAC WR

3.03 - Charles Sims, TBB RB

12 team PPR, 2-4 RB/WR, 25 man roster

1.06 - Odell Beckham, NYG WR

2.07 - Isaiah Crowell, CLE RB

3.06 - Lache Seastrunk, WAS RB

4.01 - Lorenzon Taliaferro, BAL RB

4.07 - Marion Grice, SD RB

16 team IDP, PPR, salary, contract.

I wasn't a fan of this draft class. It seemed like every player had some type of question mark going in. I owned the 1.15, and the 2.14. The only area of concern on my team was DT depth (I have Geno Atkins and his contract is up after this season)

So my draft went like this

Traded the 1.15 for a 1st next year and the 3.12 this year.

Traded the 2.14 for a 2nd next year and the 4.04 this year.

Traded the 3.12 and next years 5th for a 3rd next year and the 4.08 this year.

Took Dominique Easley with the 4.04. Had him ranked as my 2nd best DT behind A Donald

Took Josh Huff at the 4.08. Felt he was a 3rd round grade, and was the best player available.

Now that I look back, my toys aren't that shiny. They look more like wooden blocks than a cool transformer.

Khy said:
Chimp Magnet said:

EDIT: Here's the spreadsheet sorted by most picks... figured it'd be easiest viewed in a public google doc. If you notice any errors in team, position, spelling or counts let me know. I'll try to keep this updated as much as possible. I did not include any IDPs as there were only like 2 posts w/ IDP players in them. So I figured I'd separate them out.

Last Updated: Friday - 5/23/2014 - 10:26AM EST
:thumbup:

People love Robinson and they should.

My drafts are just starting... have 3 of them all spinning up in the next week or two. So this is kind of a place holder for now.

14 Team - IDP

1.07 - Eric Ebron - TE - DET - Wasn't happy about this pick at all but most of the guys I wanted were either gone or 1.07 would've been way to early. So I took Ebron and am praying.

2.04 - Ka'Deem Carey - RB - CHI

3.04 - Telvin Smith - LB - JAC

4.07 - Marion Grice - RB - SDC

5.04 - Jeremy Gallon - WR - NEP

6.04 - Jeff Janis - WR - GBP

7.04 - Jason Verrett - CB - SDC

7.07 - David Fales - QB - CHI

10 Team - Start 2QB - 0.5 PPR

1.03 - Teddy Bridgewater - QB - MIN - It's a start 2QB league and all I had on this team was Brady. Pretty much had no choice but to take these two. Might have skipped on Manziel if Evans or Watkins slipped to me though.

1.04 - Johnny Manziel - QB - CLE

2.06 - Ka'Deem Carey - RB - CHI

2.08 - Davante Adams - WR - GB

2.10 - Jeremy HIll - RB - CIN

3.03 - Paul Richardson - WR - SEA

4.03 - Martavis Bryant - WR - PIT

Khy said:
Chimp Magnet said:

Yeah, I'm a fan for sure. But I keep seeing him going higher and higher in drafts. I like him at a 2nd round value. But not 1st round.

Khy said:
Chimp Magnet said:

Yeah, I'm a fan for sure. But I keep seeing him going higher and higher in drafts. I like him at a 2nd round value. But not 1st round.
Why not?

With the team Jacksonville is building in a year or two that could be an offense that can score. He has the talent and a new QB who could be really good.

His upside is first round level.

Khy said:
Chimp Magnet said:

Why not?

With the team Jacksonville is building in a year or two that could be an offense that can score. He has the talent and a new QB who could be really good.

His upside is first round level.
Sure, so is Jerick McKinnon, Paul Richardson, Isaiah Crowell and Ka'Deem Carey's values. Still won't be taking them that early cause there's just so many question marks. A lot of guys flash first round potential, but I like my first rounder to be as 'sure thing' as can be. Example, look at the people who were drafting Marcus Lattimore last season at the mid-late 1st round. Now they're kicking themselves for throwing away a pick when they could've had someone like Keenan Allen at that pick instead had they just went with a safer situational and talent option.

You're comparing Robinson to McKinnon (late 3rd), Crowell (UDFA), and Carey (4th round with 4.7 speed). I think that's a bit harsh. Based on where they were picked in the draft, Lee, Matthews, Adams, Latimer, Richardson, Landry, and Robinson all have a pretty good shout for going in the late 1st of a PPR draft. The FF community doesn't like Landry or Richardson much and that's reflected in their ADP. The rest of the guys come off the board in the mid-late 1st or early 2nd of a typical WR-heavy PPR league and I think it just comes down to personal preference. I don't see any of them as a big reach there.

I don't see any of them as can't-miss prospects either, but I don't think you can expect to get an elite prospect with a late 1st. As long as you don't take any of them in the top half of the 1st, I don't see it as a big reach based on the generic odds of success. At that point all the first round WRs are usually gone anyway (except Benjamin and, right or wrong, he has a Landry/Richardson stigma).

You're comparing Robinson to McKinnon (late 3rd), Crowell (UDFA), and Carey (4th round with 4.7 speed). I think that's a bit harsh. Based on where they were picked in the draft, Lee, Matthews, Adams, Latimer, Richardson, Landry, and Robinson all have a pretty good shout for going in the late 1st of a PPR draft. The FF community doesn't like Landry or Richardson much and that's reflected in their ADP. The rest of the guys come off the board in the mid-late 1st or early 2nd of a typical WR-heavy PPR league and I think it just comes down to personal preference. I don't see any of them as a big reach there.

I don't see any of them as can't-miss prospects either, but I don't think you can expect to get an elite prospect with a late 1st. As long as you don't take any of them in the top half of the 1st, I don't see it as a big reach based on the generic odds of success. At that point all the first round WRs are usually gone anyway (except Benjamin and, right or wrong, he has a Landry/Richardson stigma).
I wasn't saying it was fair or not simply saying "but he has 1st round talent" isn't really a good argument for drafting someone in the first round. Almost every time I hear that argument with a guy that literally has question marks falling out of every facet of his game? They rarely pan out. Again, I actually like Robinson and he's high on my board, but I'm not looking at him until like pick 14 or later. And in a 12 team league that's 2nd round. I'd rather pick Adams, Benjamin, Matthews, DeVonta Freeman, Ka'Deem Carey, Martavis Bryant types over him because I feel like they are in better all around situations.

I wasn't saying it was fair or not simply saying "but he has 1st round talent" isn't really a good argument for drafting someone in the first round. Almost every time I hear that argument with a guy that literally has question marks falling out of every facet of his game? They rarely pan out. Again, I actually like Robinson and he's high on my board, but I'm not looking at him until like pick 14 or later. And in a 12 team league that's 2nd round. I'd rather pick Adams, Benjamin, Matthews, DeVonta Freeman, Ka'Deem Carey, Martavis Bryant types over him because I feel like they are in better all around situations.
I guess I don't really see Robinson as a guy who has "question marks falling out of every facet of his game." I think the only major knock on him is that he's a little slow. He has production, size, youth, and explosive leaping ability. A lot of the advanced metrics like him a lot.

I'm not really following Keenan Allen as a counterpoint when he was actually a lower NFL draft pick and arguably a riskier prospect on paper. How is it that he's considered a safe prospect when Robinson going higher in the draft to a team with no real established NFL WR1 is a pick of full of question marks? It is also a strange comment to turn around and tout guys like Freeman, Carey, and Bryant. The historical odds of FF relevance for a 4th round NFL draft pick are about 10%. The odds for a 2nd-3rd round NFL draft pick are about 30-35%. If anything, the odds dictate that you grab someone like Lee, Matthews, Adams, or Robinson instead of wasting time with guys who will likely be cut within a couple years. There's a pretty good argument that Robinson is worth Carey, Freeman, and Bryant combined.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion though and I can certainly respect that if it's your personal preference. I don't think the generic odds really favor a comparison of a guy like Robinson to flyer picks like Freeman, Bryant, Lattimore, Carey, and Crowell. I'm not going to say those picks can never work out (look at Zac Stacy last year), but banking on situation > draft position probably isn't going to be an ideal strategy in most cases.

I guess I don't really see Robinson as a guy who has "question marks falling out of every facet of his game." I think the only major knock on him is that he's a little slow. He has production, size, youth, and explosive leaping ability. A lot of the advanced metrics like him a lot.

I'm not really following Keenan Allen as a counterpoint when he was actually a lower NFL draft pick and arguably a riskier prospect on paper. How is it that he's considered a safe prospect when Robinson going higher in the draft to a team with no real established NFL WR1 is a pick of full of question marks? It is also a strange comment to turn around and tout guys like Freeman, Carey, and Bryant. The historical odds of FF relevance for a 4th round NFL draft pick are about 10%. The odds for a 2nd-3rd round NFL draft pick are about 30-35%. If anything, the odds dictate that you grab someone like Lee, Matthews, Adams, or Robinson instead of wasting time with guys who will likely be cut within a couple years. There's a pretty good argument that Robinson is worth Carey, Freeman, and Bryant combined.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion though and I can certainly respect that if it's your personal preference. I don't think the generic odds really favor a comparison of a guy like Robinson to flyer picks like Freeman, Bryant, Lattimore, Carey, and Crowell. I'm not going to say those picks can never work out (look at Zac Stacy last year), but banking on situation > draft position probably isn't going to be an ideal strategy in most cases.
Sure, I know the odds for RBs drafted in the 2-4 rounds. However, I have a feeling a lot of those percentages are going to start drastically changing in the next 5-10 years if this years NFL draft was anything to go by as a metric. The first RB selected wasn't until over halfway through the 2nd round. Which would mean you're banking on a less than 35% chance that any of these RBs are ever successful. And I think this is going to become a more and more common trend in the next few years. If the trend continues from the past two seasons it stands to reason that eventually you'll be saying '4th round RBs are only FF relevant 30% of the time" in a few years. So I'm personally not that big of a fan of the 'odds' per se.

Last year we had Giovani Bernard, Le"veon Bell, Montee Ball, Eddie Lacy and Christine Michael drafted in the 2nd round. The statistics tell us that only 1-2 of these players should be fantasy relevant in their careers. And after one season 3/5 of them already were, and things are shaping up for Montee Ball to take over in Denver this season, which would mean after the 2nd RB's sophomore year 80% of them will have been fantasy relevant.

Even looking from the 3rd round on last season...

Knile Davis, Johnathan Franklin, Kyle Juszczyk, Marcus Lattimore, Stepfan Taylor, Joseph randle, Zac Stacy, Chris Thompson, Mike Gillislee, Latvius Murray, Kenjon Barner, Andre Ellington, Mike James, Rex Burkhead, Spencer Ware, theo Riddick and Branden Wilson. 17 guys, statistics would tell us less than 2 of these guys were likely to hit and be relevant for a season at some point. Last season, their rookie years... Zac Stacy and Andre Ellington were every week RB2's at a point. And that's only after one year, there are still guys here like Knile Davis, Johnathan Franklin, Latvius Murray and Marcus Lattimore that just need an opportunity to possibly be hits.

My point being... that the statistics at the RB position are a changing.

My opinion here is that, I don't really like much of anything in Jacksonville and until I'm proven otherwise I'll stick by that. I loved Robinson pre-draft he was one of the top guys on my board. When he was drafted by the Jags he slid down considerably because of his landing spot though. That's obviously a personal opinion, but there's to many question marks there in my eyes.

12 team PPR and IDP league. 6 total rounds. I didn't have a pick until the 4th round.

4.05 Paul Richardson WR SEA

4.09 Telvin Smith LB JAC

4.12 James White RB NE

5.06 Dominique Easley DT NE

5.09 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE HOU

6.12 Josh Huff WR PHI

My point being... that the statistics at the RB position are a changing.
Either that or it was just a one year aberration. I think I may have misspoken when I used "FF relevant" as my criteria. Lots of guys like Julius Jones, Steve Slaton, and A-Train have come along and given a team a shot in the arm for a year. Quite a few of them faded into obscurity in the long run though. I think last year's 2nd round RB group is looking pretty good, but would not be surprised to see Bell or Ball wash out soon.

I'm not going to get into an argument about the league's changing valuation of the RB position, but I don't put a lot of stock in that noise. If you really look at the athletic traits and college careers of the last two RB classes you'll see why nobody went as high as the likes of Spiller, Mathews, Martin, and Trent. It's more about the player pool than the league's shifting approach to the position.

Anyways, it just seems like you're advocating situation over talent. Looking for a quick pop instead of taking the true best player available. That can work out well and situation is really important for RBs and for non-elite WRs. All the same, I don't see a credible argument for how you can compare the outlook of a 2nd round WR like Robinson to the outlook of 4th+ round players like Crowell, Bryant, Lattimore, and Carey. That stuck out to me as odd and doesn't really add up.

I'm always a little puzzled when people downgrade a WR because he goes to a bad team. The way I see it there are two types of good situations for a WR. One is going to a team with such a great QB that he can support multiple strong FF options (i.e. Packers, Patriots, Broncos, Saints). The other is going to a team with such a weak WR group that the player can dominate all the targets because there's no one else viable to catch the ball. A lot of the better rookie WRs of recent years came from that latter cluster (Gordon, Blackmon, Wright, Boldin, Mike Williams, Michael Clayton, AJ Green).

From that perspective, I don't see how Robinson on the Jags where he can potentially be the #1 guy from day one is worse than Adams on the Packers or Latimer on the Broncos where they're likely the 3rd most talented receiver on the roster at best. I'd say the same for Watkins in Buffalo. The Bills suck and are a joke of a front office. Isn't that kind of a good thing though? He'll be the man there if he's as talented as they think and could get 150+ targets per season.

One draft I had pick 1.04. Traded that for pick 1.11 and a 2015 1st. Then drafted freeman at 1.11. Then traded freeman and ertz for Harvin. Also had pick 2.09 and took manziel

2nd draft. Had picks 1.05, 1.06 and 3.06. Traded all 3 picks, foles and colston for McCoy and Eli.

Really had no intentions of trading away all my picks, kind of just one thing lead to another and they were all gone. Happy with the results of the trades though

12 Team Dynasty PPR League

1.07 Eric Ebron, TE, Detroit Lions

1.10 Cody Latimer, WR, Denver Broncos

3.09 Andre Williams, RB, New York Giants

4.06 Jared Abbrederis, WR, Green Bay Packers

12 Team Dynasty PPR IDP League

(This is a first year takeover team. Guy left the cupboards bare of offensive talent. Also no 2nd round pick.)

1.03 Bishop Sankey, RB, Tennessee Titans

3.03 Blake Bortles, QB, Jacksonville Jaguars

3.07 Donte Moncrief, WR, Indianapolis Colts

4.04 Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins

Currently drafting in 2 Zealots leagues, no ppr, IDP, 12 team, 53 man rosters

First one:

1.10- Davante Adams

2.10- traded it & Joique Bell for RG3 a couple months ago

3.10- Lache Seastrunk

4.10- Anthony Barr

5.8- Christian Kirksey

5.10- Jerick McKinnon

6.10- coming up will add shortly

Second one: moving very slowly right now. I had the 1.1. & traded it pre-draft for Ben Tate, Victor Cruz, Kyle Rudolph, & 1.9. After the draft started I traded up from 1.9 to 1.5 for OBJ. I gave 1.9, 2.1, Chris Polk, & Tavarres King for 1.5, 3.5, & 6.5.

1.5- Odell Beckham Junior

Last Updated: Friday - 5/25/2014 - 10:32PM EST
Just posting here stating I updated this to get a baseline for where to leave off post wise.

Users who are viewing this thread