What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Team/Player Spotlight -- Chicago Bears (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
2014 Team & Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. We are trying something different this year. We will still publish more than 100 PLAYER SPOTLIGHT articles on the main site. But we are going to solicit discussion on them in these TEAM threads.

Why the change?

NFL success is contingent on the sum of a team's parts. To think that a wide receiver succeeds simply because of himself would be foolhardy. What if a team has three excellent fantasy WR options (e.g., Denver with Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Emmanuel Sanders)? Is a person's enthusiasm for a given player being properly offset against lesser expectations for one of their teammates?

Frankly, there was a lot of redundancy in former Spotlight threads. Asking you all to discuss the Giants new OC Ben McAdoo in threads for Eli Manning, Victor Cruz, Odell Beckham and Rashad Jennings seems inefficient. Now, in this new format, you can factor McAdoo (or any other team change) and it's impact on ALL the relevant skill players.

Thread Topic: Chicago Bears

The NEW Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the fantasy relevant players in question, and your expectations for said players
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate
While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the relevant players on each team. We would note that it's important that your statistics makes sense. For example, projecting two running backs on the same team with 2,000 yards is an obvious gaffe. You might have three WR/TEs projected for 1,000+ yards, but that would be aggressive and a historical rarity. Back it up.

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
Recommended Players to Discuss (Player Page links provided):

QB Jay Cutler

RB Matt Forte

RB KaDeem Carey

WR Alshon Jeffery

WR Brandon Marshall

TE Martellus Bennett

Each PLAYER SPOTLIGHT article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web, including intriguing pull quotes from this thread
  • FBG Projections

Well, I'm sold on Marc Trestman and his offense. An underrated aspect of the offense was the Offensive Line. They had 4 new starters and were traditionally a weak point of the team. All 5 starters played all season and let up 14 fewer sacks in 2013 compared to 2012 (30 vs 44).

Jay Cutler:

The Bears let Josh McCown go in the offseason, leaving Jay Cutler to man the offense. It's a bit interesting when you compare their stats.

63.1% completion rate, 7.4 yds/attempt, 1.58 TD/INT ratio

66.5% completion rate, 8.2 yds/attempt, 13 TD/INT ratio

The first is Jay Cutler, the 2nd is Josh McCown. However, 3 of McCown's 6 games came against bad pass defenses (Vikings - 31st, Cowboys - 30th, Redskins - 20th). The Bears attempted 579 passes last year. If Jay Cutler throws that many times again in 2014, it will be the 2nd highest total of his career (2008 being the only season he threw more...and the only season he threw for more than 4000 yds in a season). With the emergence of Alshon Jeffery, he seems a good bet for over 4000 yds in 2014. I'm not sure there is a great reason to expect significantly fewer passes in 2014, although most of the FBGs experts seem to think he'll throw 550-560 passes.

Matt Forte:

With Michael Busy only getting 63 carries and 3 TDs while playing fairly awful (3.1 yds/carry), Matt Forte had a career year. He set career highs in carries, yards, TDs, receptions, and receiving yards. The Bears drafted Kadeem Carey to help provide a more useful backup to Forte. It seems Carey is most notable for running a 4.70 40-time at the combine. I think Forte's carries and receptions take a slight hit but I think it's more of the same in terms of the Bears offense.

Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery:

This duo combined for 189 catches and 2716 yards last year. Marshall continued doing what he's always done, but his mentorship of Jeffery (and their working together in the offseason) paid huge dividends. Watching Jeffery make an acrobatic, almost impossible catch became a regular part of the weekly highlight reel. Marshall has turned 30, while Jeffery is only 24 and entering his 3rd year in the league.

I expect Brandon Marshall to get 90-100 catches. Jeffery helps make sure the defense can't focus all their attention on Marshall, and Cutler continues to love peppering Marshall with passes.

Jeffery averaged 16.0 yds/reception last year, compared to Marshall's 13.0 average. Most of the FBGs staff sees a significant decline for Jeffery, often around the 14.8 mark or so. Even as a rookie Jeffery averaged 15.3 yds/reception and I don't think if falls off a cliff that much. I have them projected for about the same number of fantasy points. However, I think that if Jeffery can keep his yds/reception up near 16.0, he could easily outperform Marshall in 2014. Also, Jeffery had approx the same number of catches/week regardless of whether Cutler or McCown was starting, so I don't expect much of a decline in his numbers just because Cutler will be starting the entire year.

With Marshall being drafted in the early 2nd round and Jeffery going in the early 3rd, I see much more value in Jeffery this year.

Martellus Bennett:

Bennett had a great year, posting a stat-line of 65-759-5. Unless the Bears throw significantly more in 2014, I don't see how he'll improve much on those numbers. He's a nice complimentary option in the passing game and an unexciting low-end TE1 for me.

Cutler: 345 completions, 575 attempts, 7.4 yds/attempt, 4255 yds, 27 TDs, 16 INTs. 32 rushes, 128 yds, 1 TD

Forte: 270 rushes, 4.4 yds/carry, 1188 yds, 7 TDs. 59 receptions, 443 yds, 2 TDs

Carey: 80 rushes, 4.1 yds/carry, 328 yds, 2 TDs. 8 receptions, 60 yds, 0 TDs

Marshall: 98 receptions, 13.0 yds/reception, 1274 yds, 10 TDs

Jeffery: 85 receptions, 15.3 yds/reception, 1301 yds, 8 TDs (10 rushes, 100 yds, 0 TDs)

Bennett: 60 receptions, 660 yds, 5 TDs

All of sudden, it feels like Chicago has become a FF nirvana. Two elite WR1’s, a multi-dimensional and clear #1 RB. A TE that comes in at the bottom of the TE1 radar. And Jay Cutler. What’s interesting to me is that they are almost the anti-Eagles. ON that spotlight I noticed that while Foles was coming in really high in terms of his draft ranking, nobody believed in receivers. So something was off there. In Chicago, people are going nuts for their skill position players, yet Cutler is going QB14. Is that justified? Well, I think it’s more justified than Foles going QB6.

But Marshall/Jeffrey are perhaps the most dynamic WR pairing in the game and Forte is one of the best pass catchers out of the backfield. Cutler will not want for weapons to throw to. And with a year to build on with Marc Trestman, the thought process is that the Bears should be even more hyper powered than they became last year on offense. What we have to determine for 2014 is as follows: 1) was that a function of the Bears offense being that good or 2) a function of a defense that over its final 11 games, gave up an average of 30.7 PPG and have the Bears made enough defensive improvements to not require such prolific offensive production. What’s nice about CHI is that there are 5 players to talk about here. Concerning the passing game, the foursome of Marshall/Jeffrey/Forte/Black Unicorn combined for 328 of the Bears 383 receptions and 305 of the Bears 368 non-QB rushes. I don’t see much room for sleeper emergence if these guys stay on the field.

Jay Cutler – As FF Draft Season rolls on, I suspect Cutler is going to become a late QB1 sleeper. I’m not sure if I buy into his hype as much as I think others will wind up doing. Something you see a lot of people doing right now is aggregating the Bears QB numbers from 2013 and applying that to Cutler’s chances to reach those same numbers. Here is what they were:

373 Completions
579 Attempts
4450 Passing Yards
64.4% Completion Rate
7.7 YPA
32 TD’s
13 INT’s

In all, very impressive. But I think it does a disservice to just how much Josh McCown contributed to them. If we pro-rate Cutler’s numbers over a 16 game schedule, you get these (removing his abbreviated game where he got hurt).

354 Completions
555 Attempts
4149 Passing Yards
63.8% Completion Rate
7.5 YPA
30 TD’s
18 INT’s

Listen, Cutler would have still had one of his better seasons, but in just using a basic scoring system for QB’s; 1 point/25 yards passing, 4 points/passing TD and -2 points/interception – Cutler would have scroed 30 fewer points than what CHI QB’s wound up scoring. 30 may not sound like a lot, but 2 points/game? It’s not insignigficant. Like I said, Cutler had one of his better seasons, but the best QB in CHI last year performance wise was McCown. It’s not slight on Cutler, it’s just that McCown was awesome. Plus, one thing that McCown did that Cutler doesn’t do, even under the tutelage of Trestman is not turn the ball over. Among 34 QB’s with at least 250 pass attemtps last year, the QB’s that threw INT at a more frequent rate than Cutler were; Eli, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, Matt Cassell, and Andy Dalton. So despite his weapons, I don’t see Cutler being allowed to attempt 600 passes. And even with two elite WR’s, he’s never been a great YPA guy. And his TD:INT ratio delta will be hampered too. While I think Cutler should have one of his better seasons, I can see a frenzy over his draft status oncoming as people further investigate the surface level passing stats of the Bears under Trestman in 213. My expectations will be tempered probably more than quite a few.

Also, while I’ll project Cutler (and the rest of the Bears) for all 16 games, we are talking about a QB that’s averaged 3 missed games/season since 2010. The Bears found lightning in a bottle with Josh McCown, who performed even better than Cutler when Cutler went down. Right now, the depth chart behind Cutler is muddled to the point of nausea. So if Cutler goes down, and history shows this is possible…it could throw a severe wrench into the works here. It’s a huge point of exposure to every Bear player.

Matt Forte – Probably one of the more underappreciated players in the NFL still…even in FFC ADP, he’s going as RB4 (Charles, McCoy, Peterson) are above him despite the fact that Forte went for 1933/12 last season. At RB4, there does seem to be a clear delineation between him and the Top 3 as the three RB’s above seem to be in the #1 overall pick discussion. Forte is not. Forte led all RB’s in snaps (940) last season. And while the Bears did draft Ka’Deem Carey to replace Michael Bush as Forte’s primary back-up (and perhaps also get contributions from 2nd year player Michael Ford), I think the Bears will be content to ride their 28 year old bellcow into the ground knowing that he probably has but 1-2 productive seasons left. One of the better pass catchers out of the back field, Forte is probably as diverse and multi-talented RB as there is in the NFL. I think the only question you have in drafting Forte is whether or not you want to go Megatron instead. As someone who feels like he’d be comfortable drafting Megatron #1, I think drafting Forte means you feel comfortable with the WR talent later in the draft. If you feel like you can find RB’s later in the draft, perhaps you’ll bypass Forte. At this point in their respective careers, who is more likely for a sudden, unforeseen drop-off? I’d have to say Forte. He’s four months older than Marshawn Lynch, has only 63 fewer career touches than him. Again, this is not to say I believe Forte falls off…it’s just that if advancing age and workload is something that concerns you with RB, Forte is a guy who is starting to be someone to monitor.

Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffrey – The bond between Cutler and Marshall is certainly well known in FF and NFL circles. Short of injury to either Cutler or Marshall, I see Marshall’s production being similar to seasons past. It’s worth noting that 2 of Marshall’s least productive games in 2013 came with Cutler sidelined, but overall, from a yardage/target perspective, Marshall produced the same rate of production with Cutler as he did McCown. Where Marshall was a little more productive with Cutler was in the TD department where his rate of TD production with Cutler prorated over 16 games would have been 16 TD’s (not 12). This isn’t surprising either given the level of knowledge each has of one another in close quarters. At the end of the day though, Marshall is a safe pick in Round 2 as you search for your WR1. While he may be competing for targets with another dynamic WR weapon, there is enough production in the CHI passing game to go around. If there was one dynamic to point out between Marshall/Jeffrey in 2013, it was Marshall’s consistency vs. Jeffrey’s huge games (he had 2 200 yard games). With that said, I think Jeffrey benefitted much more from Marshall’s presence last year than vice versa. However, I think that evens out with teams now having to devise plans to contain both. Of the two, at least last year, Jeffrey is the greater deep ball threat and because teams were concerned with Marshall, it offered Jeffrey single coverage opportunities down field which he used his size to win. With defenses now in a pick your poison mode, it could mean more room for Marshall…room he probably hasn’t had for a long time. At the end of the day, there are very few, if any WR combos, that can touch CHI’s production wise.

Black Unicorn – Before Alshon Jeffrey emerged as the force that he did, it looked like during the seasons first 2 games that the emerging force on the Bears offense was going to be Bennett. With a 10/125/3 line, Bennett seemed to emerge as the compliment the Bears had been looking for for Marshall. We know how that turned out and while Bennett fell of the torrid pace he’d set, he still was decent. I think the defining factor for this offense being truly a one-of-a-kind juggernaut and being simply very good is how they are able to incorporate Bennett into the flow. Fact is, Bennett only scored two TD’s the rest of the season (Jeffrey/Marshall combined for 17). And for as prolific as this combo was, along with Bennett’s ability/talent…19 total TD’s for this troika for 14 games seems low. Not to compare Bennett with Gonzalez, but in terms of a 3 pronged aerial attack, the Falcons in 2012 with Roddy/Julio/Gonzo combined for 25. Bennett’s been a bit of a different sort during his career…in an amusing way mind you. Most people who give themselves nicknames generally give themselves nicknames that suck. Not Bennett. Is he happy being a Top 10-12 TE in the NFL? Or can he become an even better player than he’s shown his last two seasons? I think he has a golden opportunity in front of him. At TE13 on FFC, he’s way low IMO. There’s a 4 round difference between him and Jordan Reed. I don’t know why.

Predictions:

Cutler – 369 Completions, 578 Attempts 4300 Passing Yards 31 TD;s 17 INT’s. 31 rushes 99 Rushing Yards 1 TD.
Forte – 305 Rushes 1345 Rushing Yards, 7 TD’s; 64 Receptions 482 Receiving Yards 2 TD’s.
Carey – 48 Rushes 158 Rushing Yards, 27 Receptions 182 Receiving Yards
Ford – 67 Rushes 236 Rushing Yards 4 TD’s.
Marshall – 95 Receptions 1203 Receiving Yards 13 TD’s.
Jeffrey – 97 Receptions 1322 Receiving Yards 8 TD’s. 7 Rushes 37 Rushing Yards
Bennett – 54 Receptions 672 Receiving Yards 8 TD’s

Users who are viewing this thread