What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Coaching Prospects? (1 Viewer)

duaneok66

Footballguy
Who are teams (like the Titans and Eagles, and maybe the Giants) going to go after?

Is Adam Gase a guy that will be a head coach in a week or so?

Won't happen but the dolphins hiring Mike Shula could be fun.

Eta: realistically, he'd be a good candidate for the 49ers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Hue and Gase never been a fan of Mcdaniels. I think after the Kelly debacle Hue would be a nice change for the Eagles.

I like Hue and Gase never been a fan of Mcdaniels. I think after the Kelly debacle Hue would be a nice change for the Eagles.
judging by Jeffrey Lurie's press conference the Eagles will be looking for a "player's coach", or at least someone who can relate to the guys on the field. I don't know tons about Hue, but it would seem to be a coach that Lurie may want to bring in. But who the hell knows after the Chip experiment

judging by Jeffrey Lurie's press conference the Eagles will be looking for a "player's coach", or at least someone who can relate to the guys on the field. I don't know tons about Hue, but it would seem to be a coach that Lurie may want to bring in. But who the hell knows after the Chip experiment
Gase makes a lot of sense for everything actually. I want.

Mike Shula to Miami would be premature but awesome. Like to see a guy like Hue in Miami but who knows what that train wreck of a FO does.

GordonGekko said:
Who are teams (like the Titans and Eagles, and maybe the Giants) going to go after?
Things I've heard so far

- 49ers will make a hard push again at Adam Gase. If he's in, Mangini has to go. Mangini himself is seen as a general darkhorse candidate around the league. Personally I think he's suited better to be a GM than a coach.

- Sean McDermott will get interviews but is not highly regarded around the league as a head coaching candidate. Much of the Panthers defense will and still be seen as a product of good personnel movement and Riverboat Ron. Ben MaAdoo might get a few courtesy interviews, but he's still seen as too raw at this point.

- Pollard Alliance will stump hard for Hue Jackson, David Shaw and Anthony Lynn. ( Troy Vincent knows Lynn well from their playing days) Many owners have trepidation on Jackson, many do not believe he can function in tandem with a GM in place, also his exit from Oakland reeked of open betrayal ( loyalty counts, even if the league hated Al Davis) This would almost certainly rule out Philly for him. Shaw and Lynn have WCO/Walsh tree pedigree. I would say Shaw would be more desirable than even Sumlin.

- Given instability at QB and massive investment in that offensive line, the Cowboys will look hard at Greg Roman ( nice work squeezing every drop out of Tyrod Taylor) and yet again, Bill Cowher. I don't see Cowher going anywhere. Where Roman goes, look for Geep Chryst to possibly follow. Blaine Gabbert looked almost functional with close to no help on a gutted and injury stricken team, that didn't go unnoticed around the league.

- Colts will look hard at Josh McDaniels. General consensus is that McDaniels will only leap to a sure fire QB stability situation.

- Frank Reich and Tom Cable are considered poor at the interview process in general. Reich has the edge with QB development. Neither has the type of media saavy inherent soft skills most owners covet.

- Looming issue for Kyle Shanahan is he is and has always been perceived to be a package deal with his father and a lot of teams don't want Mike Shanahan in their organizational structure. Respect his legacy, sure, but he's a high maintenance control freak who will want a say in personnel.

- Do not think Darrell Bevell can make the jump. Rumor has it that front offices take a deep pause when his name comes up. Something in the background no one wants to talk about is hedging his options. Not sure he's in Scot McCloughan range here ( super talented guy/personal demons), but it doesn't look rosy for him.

Things that make a difference that simply don't get much coverage

- As I've said for years now, in modern times, QB1 development is king. If you can take a pretty good guy and make him great or a JAG and make him functional and mostly consistent, you'll always have a place in the NFL. Joe Philbin gets a ton of crap, but he's actually well viewed around the league as an offensive mind. Solid offensive development will always keep you on the cusp. Defensive guys will always be sitting on the edge. Just easier in todays game to make your offensive guy a head coach and cycle through veteran defensive minds, instead of losing a hot young offensive mind like a Gase and then having to start your offense all over again.

- Some guys are lousy interviews, some are consistently great interviews, it makes a difference. Not in doing the job, but potentially getting one. These interviews can be very long, and many of these guys go through some very hard vetting during the process. Mangini is seen as an incredible interview candidate, despite his other problems and issues. In contrast, Mike Zimmer struggled in the interview phase ( was just too damn blunt) and that cost him over time.

- Only took the Pollard Alliance five years too late to figure out what would work better for them and their agenda is finding way to get more blacks ( don't pretend they care about Amy Trask, Hispanics or non African American coaches or anyone held back by ageism) into coaching positions is to push more of them into the offensive side of the ball. I guess what boiled down to extortion by proxy didn't work as well as it did in the past and now they have to actually consider how to get what they want in a QB/offensive dominated league. How does it take this long to figure out the upside of offensive pedigree? Watching that level of ineptitude is like watching someone try to pee on the side of a barn and miss.
thank you - great post.

I think the Eagles fallback guy is Shurmur if they can't get a Gase or Payton if available.

Not sure Jerry fires Garrett. Garrett is the consummate yes man.

Pretty sure Bill Cowher has been waiting around the studio for the Giants job to open up
Remember when they said the same thing about the Panthers job a few years back? He has a house there, his daughter was in school, yards yadda.

Forget about it. Once these guys successfully complete 2 full years in the booth, they're not going back to 16 hour days coaching

Austin in Detroit?

McDermott in Carolina?

Shannahan in Atlanta?

How about this, Chan Gailey in New York? :unsure:

Pretty sure Bill Cowher has been waiting around the studio for the Giants job to open up
I'd tend to say he's done coaching because he's been out so long it would be hard to put a staff together but on the other hand that entire Titans staff which has or will be fired is filled with people he worked with. Still think he's done, but those coaches availability makes it more of an option.

Two jobs I don't think open are 49'ers or Cowboys jobs.

49'ers job won't open unless they fire Baalke. He can control Tomsula and Baalke's overbearing presence would make luring an attractive HC candidate extremely difficult.

Cowboys from everything I've read and heard locally are not in anyway entertaining getting rid of Garrett, likely for some of the same reasons the 49'ers are not getting rid of Tomsula.

Listened to a good podcast a few weeks ago which discussed which college coaches would be most likely to jump into the NFL if given a chance and they felt it was Jim Mora and Ferentz.

Falcons Mike Smith is now an option, wanted a year off, wrote a book...says it's time.

Sean Payton and Jeff Fisher are very possible.

Is Adam Gase a guy that will be a head coach in a week or so?
I associate Gase with Peyton if he buys a team

Last year McAdoo was a shoe-in to replace Coughlin. Today there's a different vibe. I'm not sure if there's a problem or the Giants just don't want him overconfident.

Spags is looking to be a HC again and I don't think it's warranted but I could see him leaving if TC does.

Sean Payton "grew up" with the Giants and Parcells in Dallas so he'll always be a possibility.

Curiously Pat Flaherty is the only giant coach they can't afford to lose. They could do without McAdoo or Spags

Users who are viewing this thread