What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're just going to ignore the fact that it's Kawaii Leonard's fault for what happened to DeRozan? Again, the inmates are running the asylum and it's negatively impacting everyone. My point still stands. If Kawaii honored his contract, the Raptors would have honored theirs with DeRozan.

Honestly, I feel bad for the 4 people who liked your post who can't follow this fairly linear thought process.
When did we start talking about Hawaiian Islands?

Hahaha

How bad can it be, you're there 9 months out of the year, half the time you're on the road. The other half you're working out or playing indoors. The rest of that time you're in a very nice house with a gigantic-### furnace. Whenever you go out, you have to occasionally walk from your car to the heated restaurant/Target/laundromat/whatever. Guy needs to grow some hard bark.

Oh and you get to legitimately contend to make the Finals instead of being on a lotto team.
Toronto is a pretty awesome city IMO

Hahaha

How bad can it be, you're there 9 months out of the year, half the time you're on the road. The other half you're working out or playing indoors. The rest of that time you're in a very nice house with a gigantic-### furnace. Whenever you go out, you have to occasionally walk from your car to the heated restaurant/Target/laundromat/whatever. Guy needs to grow some hard bark.

Oh and you get to legitimately contend to make the Finals instead of being on a lotto team.
Kawhi didn't come out of his room because he is an odd bird.  Not because of a city.

Think about it though, it's Kawaii Leonard's fault for what happened to DeRozan. If Kawaii had honored his contract, the Raptors would have honored theirs with DeRozan. Again, the inmates are running the asylum and it's negatively impacting everyone.

Now two players are in places they don't want to be because Kawaii is being a cry baby. He's brought down DeRozan an innocent bystander with him.
why do you keep referring to them as inmates 

why do you keep referring to them as inmates 
It's an idiom.

Idiom -

"An expression whose meaning is notpredictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements, as kick the bucket or hang one's head."

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/idiom

The inmates are running the asylum -

"The people least capable of running a group or organization are now in charge. Said especially when the result is total chaos or calamity."

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/inmates+are+running+the+asylum

It's an idiom.

Idiom -

"An expression whose meaning is notpredictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements, as kick the bucket or hang one's head."

"The people least capable of running a group or organization are now in charge. Said especially when the result is total chaos or calamity."

follow-up: why would the players necessarily be the least capable?

follow-up: why would the players necessarily be the least capable?
Because they are paid to play basketball not make executive decisions for teams and / or the league. It creates a conflict of interest.

The league is run by a variety of business professionals for a variety of reasons. When the players begin to take control from the actual people in charge, it's bad for business, results in general chaos for everyone, and damages parity.

All for selfish reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they are paid to play basketball not make executive decisions for teams and / or the league. It creates a conflict of interest.

The league is run by a variety of business professionals for a variety of reasons. When the players begin to take control from the actual people in charge, it's bad for business, results in general chaos for everyone, and damages parity.

All for selfish reasons.
The players seem to be making it damn entertaining. If the league keeps going this way (and the NFL continues to blunder) then I can see the NBA being top dog in about 10-15 years. Once upon a time, no one thought MLB would ever be topped. NFL is in that spot now.

As a side note though, if you think the executives and owners don't still have the a majority of the power then you're dreaming. They allow the players to do what they do because it's good for business. 

I love Toronto as a city but why would an NBA player sign there? Star players can make up taxes paid off the court in NY and LA, what makes Toronto different?
Not 100 percent sure if this is how it works, but my husband worked in Canada 7ish years ago and this is what happened.

A non-resident is usually required to pay Canadian tax only on Canadian sources of income; however, under the income tax treaty between Canada and the U.S., a worker may be exempt from Canadian taxation and may apply for exemption on withholding of tax from Canadian sources.

If the taxpayer is working in Canada, but for a U.S. company, and is paid by the U.S. company, employment income is exempt from Canadian taxation as long as the taxpayer is not residing in Canada.

I am not sure if the Raptors are considered a U.S. company since they are obviously in Toronto, but they are part of the NBA and that might be a US based company. Obviously it is murky and I am not a CPA.

If anything can revive Dwight Howard's career, it's a team with two backcourt stars who don't seem to particularly like each other, a coach with a reputation for leading teams that are less than the sum of their parts, and a lethargic fan base that only displays enthusiasm when they tweet "Fire Ernie" at the owner hundreds of times a day.
Does he have any baby mamas yet in the DC area? If not trust me you will get the best year from Howard.

Really???

The guy had one job to do over the last two seasons (after losing to the Cavs in the ECF) - to beat Lebron in a playoff series.   Not only did he fail to do that, he couldn't even figure out a way to win a single game in those 2 years.
Can't blame any of the Raptors for the 2017 playoffs. The Cavs win the title and probably go 16 - 1 or 2 through the playoffs if the Warriors aren't there. This year, well... yeah. There was no reason they shouldn't have took the Cavs to 6 games at the worst.

Think about it though, it's Kawaii Leonard's fault for what happened to DeRozan. If Kawaii had honored his contract, the Raptors would have honored theirs with DeRozan. Again, the inmates are running the asylum and it's negatively impacting everyone.

Now two players are in places they don't want to be because Kawaii is being a cry baby. He's brought down DeRozan an innocent bystander with him.
You think if you post this 100 more times someone will agree and like it? I doubt it. Most people agree that you people should be allowed to work and live where they want and you are holding these players to a standard that no team would abide by. How do you think Blake Griffin feels?

You think if you post this 100 more times someone will agree and like it? I doubt it. Most people agree that you people should be allowed to work and live where they want and you are holding these players to a standard that no team would abide by. How do you think Blake Griffin feels?
Unnecessary. I was literally responding to someone who quoted me.

Not 100 percent sure if this is how it works, but my husband worked in Canada 7ish years ago and this is what happened.

A non-resident is usually required to pay Canadian tax only on Canadian sources of income; however, under the income tax treaty between Canada and the U.S., a worker may be exempt from Canadian taxation and may apply for exemption on withholding of tax from Canadian sources.

If the taxpayer is working in Canada, but for a U.S. company, and is paid by the U.S. company, employment income is exempt from Canadian taxation as long as the taxpayer is not residing in Canada.

I am not sure if the Raptors are considered a U.S. company since they are obviously in Toronto, but they are part of the NBA and that might be a US based company. Obviously it is murky and I am not a CPA.
Here is a link to an article regarding the taxation differences. In a nutshell, playing in Toronto costs more in tax than Texas but isn't much worse than California because of the high state tax rate.

https://crowesoberman.com/blog/american-athletes-pay-more-toronto/

“Better” is relative. They clearly dont want to rebuild. They won 47 games without Kawai and now they added a legit all-star scorer to that team. What player could have been offered that is better than Derozan TODAY?
If you are asking who's better then DeRozen now that's besides the point because there really isn't plus it's moot when the play apparently doesn't want to be there anyway. I'm not talking Tor rebuilding right now but if things don't work out by say All star break and thy become Sellers then someone might take a chance on an expiring contract o Lowry/Ibaka and Leonard leaves in FA. They still have a young team but they'd clearly be in a rebuild then. This IMHO is their only year to see if it works and convince Leonard to stay. I'm not knocking Tor or SA for the trade as it's decent. However not a lot of stuff with the reports adds up 

My guess is Tatum, Brown and Ingram were not available so there really wasn't a young foundation piece for San Antonio to get...Philly has some decent pieces but outside of Embiid and Simmons who they weren't going to deal they don't have anything that is worth building around...Toronto is taking a huge risk here...there will be short-term benefit in Leonard over DeRozan but if he doesn't resign they are heading south quickly...right now I see the Celtics as pretty big favorites in the East with Kyrie and Hayward coming back and Tatum and Brown most likely getting better...as for San Antonio they needed to get something very legit in this deal...while DeRozan has some warts he is a legit all-star that is under 30 and has 3 years left on his deal and it appears San Antonio is concerned with the now just as much as the future...overall this whole saga has been very odd...Kawhi went from being this quiet young superstar to a complete mystery man...would really love to know the details of what really went on in San Antonio...
I agree with this. At best they could offer Saric/Cov/Fultz and apparently from what I read still would've had to give up at the very least 2 1st. Fultz does nothing for me. I know he's been hurt and is right now in some sort of shooting (I don't even know what to call it at this point) issue I was never that high on him. There were a lot of flags that turned me off. East coast top guy going to a West school not well know (We later found out through an investigation why), the team was better without him after he left, he looked disinterested on Defense and I really questioned his playmaking ability.Was he still a Lotto pick? Maybe but I had a lot of guys I'd have drafted well before him in there. I think the Sixers did the one thing with that you shouldn't do. Draft for a need and they reached. I think they would've been better with Tatum/Jackson/Fox/Monk/Isaac/Mitchell. I left the bigs out because they already have plenty there. I don't see Saric as someone to build around and RoCo is an inconsistent 3 and D guy. Young yes but nothing worth building around. Now if Embiid or Simmons was included I'd say the Spurs would be stupid not to take it. I'm not big on Simmons as others but still. 

I love Toronto as a city but why would an NBA player sign there? Star players can make up taxes paid off the court in NY and LA, what makes Toronto different?
There's a lot of good looking women, They got some great food and JT as PM. Also you can say I'm an NBA player but I live in a different country. Kyle Lowry went to Nova' which is not even 10-15 mins from my house without traffic on the highway. In his early days of Tor he'd come back home in the summer. I've talked to him a few times but haven't seen him this year at all to tell him I finally got to Tor last Aug/Sept. He loves living there though. I know every player is different but it's a pretty cool city non the less. The only negative for me would be the Winters. 

It's an idiom.

Idiom -

Not to throw the baby out with the bath water, but shouldn’t the lunatics be in charge of that particular institution?

The NBA is getting out of hand. The inmates are running the asylum.

I'd really like to see a guy like Kawaii Leonard get blackballed from the league.

Waa- waa- waa- I don't want to play in San Antonio, a perennial playoff contender. I'm hurt. I don't want to play in Toronto. I want to play in LA.

Honor your contract. Get paid millions to play basketball. It's so annoying...
And people wonder why I complain about today's NBA players. There's wanting to go play for the team you want but there's much better ways of handling things then Leonard did. So many people giving him a pass because "that's not the type of guy he is" but ithe more I read from NBA people the more Leonard looks like a prima donna drama queen. I get pulling this bs in say Sac or Cleveland but to do it to such a classy Org in Pop and the Spurs is pretty pathetic.Pop made you be grateful. Ply out your contract and leave if thats what you want. 

i wouldn't mind using some part of it on someone like Nwaba or Trayveon Graham, but that doesn't seem like what they are looking for.  Maybe Vince Carter for a small amount and save the rest for later?  Seems like with the roster crunch and Kawhi gone, they will probably just save it for later.
Heard CHI was going to use MLE or whatever it was they have to bring Nwaba back. Signing Parker wasn't going to prevent them from resigning him

I thought people were too dismissive of the Raptors before the trade. Just because they melted down against LeBron doesn't mean Boston or Philly would have beaten them.
Except the Celtics almost beat LeBron. Had they not gotten so 3 happy in that last game they had a great chance. 

Not to throw the baby out with the bath water, but shouldn’t the lunatics be in charge of that particular institution?
I love this guy.  :lmao:

And to answer your question, maybe. I just think that the players benefit more from getting paid millions of dollars than the "burden" they have of being unhappy with the team they're on. In this particular scenario, Kawhi chose to sign a 5-year / 90 million dollar deal to stay in San Antonio back in 2015. How bad can I feel for the guy getting paid more money per than I'll make in my lifetime?

When you have players "running the show" as opposed to the suits and ties, I think it hurts the majority of the league. The NBA as I view it, is supposed to be a business, with each team vying to put the best players on the court. When you're a free agent, sure, go wherever you want. But when you want to start throwing away commitments to go play where you want to play, I don't like that. It gives big market teams an even bigger advantage when these players try to force their way to where they want.

Morally, sure, it would be great if the inmates could run the asylum since they are the reason the place is profitable. But it's bad for the competitive balance with the way the league is heading. You never hear anyone saying, "Oh, I want to play in Utah" or "Oh, I want to play in Brooklyn". The rich get richer and it's "nice" to give the players what they want. But it's horrid for the fans of certain teams that will never be the beneficiaries of such thinking.

From Zach Lowe's piece on the Kawhi deal

Did they seriously think the Sixers would trade one of those guys for an injured Kawhi that has made it very clear he wants to go to LA at the end of the season.  Billy King doesn't even make that trade.
I think hes  giving Billy King too much credit there. 

And people wonder why I complain about today's NBA players. There's wanting to go play for the team you want but there's much better ways of handling things then Leonard did. So many people giving him a pass because "that's not the type of guy he is" but ithe more I read from NBA people the more Leonard looks like a prima donna drama queen. I get pulling this bs in say Sac or Cleveland but to do it to such a classy Org in Pop and the Spurs is pretty pathetic.Pop made you be grateful. Ply out your contract and leave if thats what you want. 
That's what I'm saying. I mean, who knows if Kawhi Leonard ever wins a Championship or becomes Defensive MVP without the coaching he received in San Antonio. The Clippers were a 29 win team when he entered the league. If he was allowed to pick his destiny coming out of college, he probably is half the player he is and doesn't have a championship.

It just seems ungrateful. Obviously I'm not a player but I feel like the uncertainty of where you end up playing is all part of the journey.

All for selfish reasons.
For example Super Teams forming because guys want to play with their friends and player GMs like LeBron having GM's bendover backwards for them to keep them happy players. 

That's what I'm saying. I mean, who knows if Kawhi Leonard ever wins a Championship or becomes Defensive MVP without the coaching he received in San Antonio. The Clippers were a 29 win team when he entered the league. If he was allowed to pick his destiny coming out of college, he probably is half the player he is and doesn't have a championship.

It just seems ungrateful. Obviously I'm not a player but I feel like the uncertainty of where you end up playing is all part of the journey.
And they lived happily ever after. 

The end. 

The players seem to be making it damn entertaining. If the league keeps going this way (and the NFL continues to blunder) then I can see the NBA being top dog in about 10-15 years. Once upon a time, no one thought MLB would ever be topped. NFL is in that spot now.

As a side note though, if you think the executives and owners don't still have the a majority of the power then you're dreaming. They allow the players to do what they do because it's good for business. 
Oh goody I get to see a bunch of super teams form and then the rest of the league has zero chance of winning for the next 8 yrs. Meanwhile with Football I can watch a team go from worst to first even possible SB contender in 1-2 yrs. Yeah who'd want to watch a league where most of the teams outside Cleveland has a chance at a time over a bunch of drama queen crybabies in another league who complain if you breath on them and cry about where they are going to play all while knowing unless your team is a super team not even Jesus Christ himself will make you a championship contender. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread