What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think the second-best team in the league now is Boston not Houston and certainly not the Lakers.
Probably right. Houston took a big step back this year and will have CP3 coming off injury again at 33.  I'd be surprised if they had more wins the GS next year.

It is baffling to me that Morey let Ariza go, though that may have been out of hope to acquire a max FA. Hell for all we know Ariza just couldn't turn down $15 million.

I just doubt that Morey doesn't have some type of understating with Capela. Morey is a smart GM so I'll give him the benefit of doubt but going so hard after Melo is a head scratcher. 

It is baffling to me that Morey let Ariza go, though that may have been out of hope to acquire a max FA. Hell for all we know Ariza just couldn't turn down $15 million.

I just doubt that Morey doesn't have some type of understating with Capela. Morey is a smart GM so I'll give him the benefit of doubt but going so hard after Melo is a head scratcher. 
It seems impossible that the rockets would not have ultimately paid ariza more no matter what they were trying to do.  It is hard to imagine that Morey doesn’t have some other plan here, but god help me if I know what it is.

What will a team have to pay Melo if they sign him after he is waived by OKC?
I am pretty sure OKC is on the hook for the full amount this year minus whatever the other team signs him for. So basically any team can sign him for the league veteran min. and OKC pays the rest. If Houston gave him 10 million then OKC would be on the hook for the other 18ish million, but Melo wouldn't gain anything out of this unless he signed for more than what OKC owed him.

Sacramento said to be preparing an offer for Marcus Smart. Boston is up against the luxury tax threshold, so not sure they would match if it puts them over. They only have $8 million and change to avoid the tax, and given what they are going to have to shell out soon I doubt they want to get over the tax limit. The repeater tax gets reallllly expensive. 

Sacramento said to be preparing an offer for Marcus Smart. Boston is up against the luxury tax threshold, so not sure they would match if it puts them over. They only have $8 million and change to avoid the tax, and given what they are going to have to shell out soon I doubt they want to get over the tax limit. The repeater tax gets reallllly expensive. 
Man that is one odd collection of players. 

I am pretty sure OKC is on the hook for the full amount this year minus whatever the other team signs him for. So basically any team can sign him for the league veteran min. and OKC pays the rest. If Houston gave him 10 million then OKC would be on the hook for the other 18ish million, but Melo wouldn't gain anything out of this unless he signed for more than what OKC owed him.
There is no deduction after the release.  Players will often "give back" at the time of the buyout what they think they may make elsewhere in order to get their freedom, but that is a negotiation between original team and player prior to the release/buyout.  It has nothing to do with the future contract/team they play for.

There is no deduction after the release.  Players will often "give back" at the time of the buyout what they think they may make elsewhere in order to get their freedom, but that is a negotiation between original team and player prior to the release/buyout.  It has nothing to do with the future contract/team they play for.
I forgot that part of the buyout. Thanks. 

Can he guard SFs? If not this is another head scratcher. If so, I can be talked into it if the money isn’t obscene (it will be).

aren't majority of player signings with some members of the team, especially when they are in the same location? maybe i'm wrong, just seems weird he signs with business affiliates, and nobody really involved in the Lakers

ETA: it is mid-July so need to talk about something. im only checking for Kawhi news

Last edited by a moderator:
Read when he signed that the 15 mil is nearly double the annual he's ever made previously. No brainer for him to leave. 

Definitely not a case of then letting him go. Suns just grossly overpaid on a 1 year deal.

I don't see Ariza finishing the year in Phoenix.

aren't majority of player signings with some members of the team, especially when they are in the same location? maybe i'm wrong, just seems weird he signs with business affiliates, and nobody really involved in the Lakers

ETA: it is mid-July so need to talk about something. im only checking for Kawhi news
The white dude in the pic is “involved in the Lakers”.

IMO it's a better team than the Cavs.  That being said everyone gets beat by GS again this year.  Maybe the NBA will be interesting in 2019-2020.
Still beating that drum. I guess you missed the western conference finals this year. 

With James in the west do we see NBA attendance fail to set a new record for the first time in 4 years?
after a 3-game losing streak it will return to normal. They have basketball in other big cities as well. Give New York Irving and you probably see a bigger effect.

I think the Rockets made their play last year, came up short, and now priorities have changed. The Paul signing threw people off as it's definitely a win-now move but they pretty much had to do that after they traded for him last year. There was and is still is a lot of uncertainty with Capela. If Ariza can get 15 million on day one then see ya. At that point Mbah a Moute is not a difference maker, might as well let him walk too. They aren't going to win this year, they can maintain some degree of flexibility and go after a third star next summer. 

With James in the west do we see NBA attendance fail to set a new record for the first time in 4 years?
after a 3-game losing streak it will return to normal. They have basketball in other big cities as well. Give New York Irving and you probably see a bigger effect.
Actually I was thinking it would be down with the drop off in Cleveland and the drop off in the rest of the East when he comes to town.  No stats to back this up, but my gut says the upside of James in the West is less because there were already so many aged teams there drawing well. 

I think the Rockets made their play last year, came up short, and now priorities have changed. The Paul signing threw people off as it's definitely a win-now move but they pretty much had to do that after they traded for him last year. There was and is still is a lot of uncertainty with Capela. If Ariza can get 15 million on day one then see ya. At that point Mbah a Moute is not a difference maker, might as well let him walk too. They aren't going to win this year, they can maintain some degree of flexibility and go after a third star next summer. 
They have nearly $80 million attached to only Paul and Harden next season. If they were somehow able to clear the combined $45 million owed between Anderson, Gordon, Nene, and Tucker and don't sign anybody else this offseason to a muli-year deal, they still wouldn't have enough money to max somebody out next year.

Actually I was thinking it would be down with the drop off in Cleveland and the drop off in the rest of the East when he comes to town.  No stats to back this up, but my gut says the upside of James in the West is less because there were already so many aged teams there drawing well. 
hmm, that is an interesting thought. Might be, I am not sure how much of an effect Lebron still had in the regular season this year. Cavs were messy for a lot of the year.

hmm, that is an interesting thought. Might be, I am not sure how much of an effect Lebron still had in the regular season this year. Cavs were messy for a lot of the year.
Cavs basically sold out every road game.  99.5% road capacity. And making it worse is that the Lakers were already one of the few teams that drew close to capacity on the road.  But at the same time even the weakest road draw in the league, the Grizzlies, drew 91.2% capacity on the road so there's not really that far to fall.

So my guess is East teams and probably the league overall will take an attendance hit, but it won't be a big one. I would think TV ratings would be a bigger concern, because as I've said before the vast majority of the US population lives in the eastern and central time zones, east in particular (half the country, and I would guess far more than half of the basketball fans).

They have nearly $80 million attached to only Paul and Harden next season. If they were somehow able to clear the combined $45 million owed between Anderson, Gordon, Nene, and Tucker and don't sign anybody else this offseason to a muli-year deal, they still wouldn't have enough money to max somebody out next year.
I don't think ownership wants to foot the bill to run it back is all I am saying. Morey is creative, if a max level player wants to go there they will figure it out.

Would you have foreseen the Chris Paul opt-in and S&T before it happened? 

That's Rich Paul.

Cavs basically sold out every road game.  99.5% road capacity. And making it worse is that the Lakers were already one of the few teams that drew close to capacity on the road.  But at the same time even the weakest road draw in the league, the Grizzlies, drew 91.2% capacity on the road so there's not really that far to fall.

So my guess is East teams and probably the league overall will take an attendance hit, but it won't be a big one. I would think TV ratings would be a bigger concern, because as I've said before the vast majority of the US population lives in the eastern and central time zones, east in particular (half the country, and I would guess far more than half of the basketball fans).
Didn't think about the later.  In theory the league could limit the damage by having the Lakers, Dubs, Rockets, and Thunder playing on the road east most of the time.

Houston's stout switching defense is what gave them a shot vs. the Warriors. Why they gave up two of their best defensive players and are playing games with a third for the chance to sign Melo is a real head scratcher, especially coming from a usually astute front office.

By all means, sign the shooter who can't really shoot anymore, is a statue on defense and can't switch. Golden State nods approvingly.

It is curious, however, that in that same series vs. Houston which exposed their (by their own account most pressing) need for a 3&D wing besides Iguodala that they wound up with none besides the still-unsigned McCaw (not that there were a lot of those guys on the market).
They love Melo, man. And I agree, very encouraging stuff from their end. I doubt Clint @Capella leaves, but could see him taking one year and then trying to jump in to the FA pool next year. Very peculiar that they're playing hardball with him, and they just let Chris Paul stroll into the bank vault.

They did add Evans, who seems like he won't hurt a second unit. And Jerebko's a bigger player, but he can switch and hit 3's. I think the most optimal use of Cousins would be basically as a 6th man, where he comes in during the first substitutions, and doesn't go back out until the other starters are back in in the 2nd quarter. If Bell starts at 5, that gives them a backup team of Livingston, Evans, Iguodala, Jerebko, Cousins. Ideally still needs another reliable shooter, but it gives them a lot of flexibility, and it's a good defensive unit with Cousins obviously being a big ?.

Didn't think about the later.  In theory the league could limit the damage by having the Lakers, Dubs, Rockets, and Thunder playing on the road east most of the time.
Yeah I would guess the Rockets and Thunder will be playing a lot of national games that start at 8 eastern.  It will also help to have Philly start the season as one of the league's more interesting team and a legit East contender. Philly's a much bigger city than people realize- #4 market. If they get Kawhi that at least gives the league two marquee teams in the East plus whatever the hell Toronto is.

That was my thought. Unless they start putting some West games on at 8pm regularly, a lot of the better games will be missed.

W/re to LeBron's draw, the Lakers 1st preseason game is held annually in San Diego, and it immediately sold out the day after LeBron's announcement.

Being the brilliant guy I am, I picked up tickets for La Familia GunZ prior to the announcement, so when you see highlights in early October of LeBron in street clothes for his first official game in the Laker organization, know that I'm getting irresponsibly tanked in the stands to make up for dropping a couple bills to watch Moe Wagner and Alex Caruso get 30+ minutes. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread