What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2018 Dallas Cowboys*** (1 Viewer)

It is truly baffling how Garrett can hold onto that job.

It's really not.  It's all about Jerry Jones.  The previous three coaches going back to their Super Bowls were all alpha dogs.  Jerry hated that personality type in his coaches, and now he's got a yes man in Garrett.  Though, this season goes like it looks like it's going to go, Jerry's going to have to cut him loose - the natives in DFW are tired of the clapper and the mediocrity. 

Hoping we go 3-13. Clean house. I cannot stand this coaching staff aside from K. Richard and Rod M and maybe S Lal. 

Defense looks capable and solid aside from a few hiccups.

Dak and this offense - awful.  Just awful. Where are the new wrinkles, where is the deep ball? It’s the same tired crap. I can literally predict the play 70-80% of our snaps.
i feel for you bud because you seem like a good level headed fan. the only thing i disagree on a bit is putting a bunch of this on Dak. OL gave up 6 sacks, and really didn't hold up that great. Relying on a rookie TE and a bunch of WR2s and WR3s really sets Dak up to fail. that was one thing Doug Pederson learned when he saw McNabb's early years when he threw to Todd Pinkston and James Thrash. Cowboys should know you need to help a young QB

i think you are in for a long season, but hopefully you have a couple of pleasant surprises (Rico Gathers?) to make it worth at least watching

What you guys thinkin'? We desperately need a playmaking receiver.

BTW, Rico's inactive status may have had to due with getting caught with weed more than anything else. Garrett said there would be consequences & that could've been the reason he didn't dress.

I question Garrett's sanity if he doesn't at least try to get Rico involved this week. I can just hear him now explaining to JJ & Stephen how Rico isn't quite ready as a blocker & we can't trust him yet. LOL.

Lots of talent on this team. A young innovative HC would work "miracles" here. The Clapper's days are starting to look numbered. Stephen WILL pull out the axe if we struggle this season. Make no mistake about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel for you bud because you seem like a good level headed fan. the only thing i disagree on a bit is putting a bunch of this on Dak. OL gave up 6 sacks, and really didn't hold up that great. Relying on a rookie TE and a bunch of WR2s and WR3s really sets Dak up to fail. that was one thing Doug Pederson learned when he saw McNabb's early years when he threw to Todd Pinkston and James Thrash. Cowboys should know you need to help a young QB

i think you are in for a long season, but hopefully you have a couple of pleasant surprises (Rico Gathers?) to make it worth at least watching
For anyone who has seen the All 22 - it's evident Dak had a terrible game.  I agree the O-line is not at the same level. Dak had happy feet, ran into a couple sacks and is not seeing the field well. Missed open receivers and is just seeing the windows he needs to see. I have no agenda against Dak, he just didn't play well at all. I am losing hope on his Upside.

Oline thoughts:

Tyron - Does not have the fire he once had.

Williams - Gets put on roller skates almost every play. He needs to bulk up in the next couple years.

Miss Fred Bread badly in the run game.

Zack was great and still a stud.

Collins is OK - I think he might be a better OG.

For anyone who has seen the All 22 - it's evident Dak had a terrible game.  I agree the O-line is not at the same level. Dak had happy feet, ran into a couple sacks and is not seeing the field well. Missed open receivers and is just seeing the windows he needs to see. I have no agenda against Dak, he just didn't play well at all. I am losing hope on his Upside.

Oline thoughts:

Williams - Gets put on roller skates almost every play. He needs to bulk up in the next couple years.

I've debated if it would be better to switch Williams & Collins. Long-term, they likely have it right with Williams at LG & Collins at RT, but short-term, it might benefit us to switch them. Williams isn't a top LT prospect, but RT isn't as critical as far as pass-blocking.

The running game might be better with Collins at LG & Williams at RT, but it's debatable. Frederick's loss can't be underestimated, but having a playmaking receiver would cure a lot of ills (even in the running game).

What you guys thinkin'? We desperately need a playmaking receiver.

BTW, Rico's inactive status may have had more to due with getting caught with weed than anything else. Garrett said there would be consequences & that could've been the reason he didn't dress.

I question Garrett's sanity if he doesn't at least try to get Rico involved this week. I can just hear him now explaining to JJ & Stephen how Rico isn't quite ready as a blocker & we can't trust him yet. LOL.

Lots of talent on this team. A young innovative HC would work "miracles" here. The Clapper's days are starting to look numbered. Stephen WILL pull out the axe if we struggle this season. Make no mistake about it.
I like the defense.....I hate the offense.

I'd like to see some dynamic play calling like what Nagy was doin with the Bears.....get the ball in Tavon Austins hands.....let Dak loose.....let him run a bit.

Pounding Zeke isn't going to work like it has before, with our current line, and D's not respecting Dak.....gonna have to mix it up.

Linehan is a joke

We seem to be the only team in the league that never runs a rub....EVER. WHY?

What was point of trading for Tavon if he's not going to touch the ball ?? :shrug:

Gotta throw it deep, idc if you complete it or not, put it up.

A few screens for Zeke? How hard is it?

How about hitting a wr on the move instead of waiting for them to be open, hit them and they get tackled?

Some designed runs for Dak?

Beasley should have 8-10 catches a game, catching the ball on the move.

Most overrated oline in the game Imo. Roll Dak out, give him some space 

Dak needs to get out of his own head or he's done. He's never gonna be Joe Montana, but he's better than he's been lately, bouncing the ball at guys feet...stop thinking, play football 

I like the defense.....I hate the offense.

I'd like to see some dynamic play calling like what Nagy was doin with the Bears.....get the ball in Tavon Austins hands.....let Dak loose.....let him run a bit.

Pounding Zeke isn't going to work like it has before, with our current line, and D's not respecting Dak.....gonna have to mix it up.
Agree on Austin & Dak. Need to run Dak on zone reads & get imaginative.

Linehan is a joke

What was point of trading for Tavon if he's not going to touch the ball ?? :shrug:

How about hitting a wr on the move instead of waiting for them to be open, hit them and they get tackled?

Dak needs to get out of his own head or he's done. He's never gonna be Joe Montana, but he's better than he's been lately, bouncing the ball at guys feet...stop thinking, play football 
Agree on everything but Beasley.

He’s not very dynamic & we need playmakers. Beasley is just a guy, IMO.

Oline thoughts:

fair enough. I thought the WRs were getting bullied around a bit, but Dak did miss a few easy ones.

And yeah, agree with Conner. As an Eagles fan, i have to think Fletcher Cox has been dreaming about that match up since the schedule came out. if they don't give Williams help (and Fletcher gets double'd all the time so you have to think they may) it will be a real long day for him

Cowboysfan8 said:
Dak was 7-8 for 73 yds to Beasley

12-21 for 97 to everyone else
Fair enough, but it didn't help much.

Beasley is ok, but I'd prefer Austin in the slot. More game-breaking ability & that's what we need, IMO.

Cowboysfan8 said:
Linehan is a joke

From what I watched, the center of the Dallas O-Line kept getting pushed back into Dak's face.  It seemed like it was happening on almost every passing play.  No QB will have much success when that happens, they have no where to move.  Dallas needs their center back in a big way.

From what I watched, the center of the Dallas O-Line kept getting pushed back into Dak's face.  It seemed like it was happening on almost every passing play.  No QB will have much success when that happens, they have no where to move.  Dallas needs their center back in a big way.
I agree

But if you see it happening again and again, and I see it happening again and again.... wouldn't you think the coaches see it, and get him out of the pocket?

fair enough. I thought the WRs were getting bullied around a bit, but Dak did miss a few easy ones.

And yeah, agree with Conner. As an Eagles fan, i have to think Fletcher Cox has been dreaming about that match up since the schedule came out. if they don't give Williams help (and Fletcher gets double'd all the time so you have to think they may) it will be a real long day for him
it's funny i mentioned the above the other day. You guys have a really one-sided one this week, with Lawrence against Flowers. That could be ugly, and i am not sure what the NYG will try to do to contain him from running open in the backfield regularly. Could be a big difference on who wins between you guys and the Giants

I agree

But if you see it happening again and again, and I see it happening again and again.... wouldn't you think the coaches see it, and get him out of the pocket?
Potential kryptonite to the Eagles last year was the way the Giants played the Eagles, in particular the 1st game. I am amazed that teams with weak OLs that are getting eaten up don't follow that same game plan. The Giants OL was at an all time low, and they got the game to the point the Eagles needed a 61 yard kicker from their rookie kicker to win the game. 

Football Jones said:
Rappaport is reporting Gordon is eyeing Dallas or Frisco.

What you guys think?
I don't think it makes sense. Dallas isn't in the market for a receiver, especially one that brings even more suspension uncertainty . They came into the season with a full set of outs that include familiar names, a rookie, and veteran FA. If they make any moves, I hope, it will be for a DB or Center/Guard.

it's funny i mentioned the above the other day. You guys have a really one-sided one this week, with Lawrence against Flowers. That could be ugly, and i am not sure what the NYG will try to do to contain him from running open in the backfield regularly. Could be a big difference on who wins between you guys and the Giants
Good post. The Giants oline is not good and the Cowboys dline played very well. The difference in the game.

I couldn’t post in the game thread because these trolls got me banned for a week. 

This post right here Was by far my favorite post in the entire game day thread.

well you know you have great team unity and team culture when a guy strips a QB, and the chump who was behind the play gets the ball and goes to celebrate not even recognizing the guy who got the strip
:lmao:

Thank you so very much for this. 

Looking forward to seeing Rico make more appearances. He was on the field twice and open twice. Bright future (and it didn’t cost us a second round pick for our backup TE) 

The WR didn’t see a to of action and they were covered tightly but it was very good to see that they are sure handed. Some of those catcher were difficult and almost all were hit the moment they caught the ball. 

Still need more creativity but this team is a year away from seriously making a threat.  They will still probably win the division because the other teams in it aren’t very good.

I couldn’t post in the game thread because these trolls got me banned for a week. 

This post right here Was by far my favorite post in the entire game day thread.

:lmao:

Thank you so very much for this. 
The trolling has gotten bad over the years.  I used to be a much more frequent poster from both a Fantasy perspective and Cowboys news etc.  It's gotten old - really fast.

I am always respectful when I visit another teams thread. I enjoyed and now miss the semi-intelligent conversations about other teams that used to be okay.  I will also say that I have seen some of Cowboy posters going a bit far and the cycle just continues.

Get off my lawn. (I must be getting old)

The trolling has gotten bad over the years.  I used to be a much more frequent poster from both a Fantasy perspective and Cowboys news etc.  It's gotten old - really fast.

I am always respectful when I visit another teams thread. I enjoyed and now miss the semi-intelligent conversations about other teams that used to be okay.  I will also say that I have seen some of Cowboy posters going a bit far and the cycle just continues.

Get off my lawn. (I must be getting old)
You are always respectful, Bankerguy. You are also pretty objective when it comes to your team and other teams.  I appreciate your posts.

After 2 Weeks:

Defense. To be fair they have not played elite Offenses. However, you have to like what we are seeing here.  I honestly cannot remember the last time we had corners who played properly.  Using leverage while also playing the ball.  Jones looks like a Pro Bowl corner and Awuzie is looking like a baller too.  The pass rush is stout and when mixing in some blitzes we are causing havoc. We are also getting some players (Gregory and Irvin) back from injury soon - which will increase our depth and freshness. LVE is a tackling machine, looks like a rugby player.  Jaylon while not perfect is flashing and made a few elite plays vs the Giants. 

Offense. It's ugly - it's gonna be ugly all year. I will say that I would rather have a team with a dominant defense and sub-par Offense, than a great Offense and no defense. The loss of Fred is EVERYTHING, the running game misses him.  The run game is just average right now.  It was nice to see a few deeper passes finally and signs of some creativity.  Why can we not get Zeke into the passing game?  I'm not talking about the predictable screen to him on 3rd and 17.

Edit - ...and if you want to throw to Gathers in the Red Zone-great. Please have in in for a few plays though. Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to him on the throw to the right corner of the end zone.

You are always respectful, Bankerguy. You are also pretty objective when it comes to your team and other teams.  I appreciate your posts.
As are you, but not everyone is.  I do find Cowboy fans take a bit of a beating on these boards.  JMHO.

As are you, but not everyone is.  I do find Cowboy fans take a bit of a beating on these boards.  JMHO.
True. The Eagles winning the Super Bowl has exacerbated our fan's brashness, which is a little hard to believe. Please let me know if I step out of line in my comments.

.Edit - ...and if you want to throw to Gathers in the Red Zone-great. Please have in in for a few plays though. Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to him on the throw to the right corner of the end zone.
The Giants didn't. He was wiiiiiiiiiiiide open.

After 2 Weeks:

Offense. It's ugly - it's gonna be ugly all year. I will say that I would rather have a team with a dominant defense and sub-par Offense, than a great Offense and no defense. The loss of Fred is EVERYTHING, the running game misses him.  The run game is just average right now.  It was nice to see a few deeper passes finally and signs of some creativity.  Why can we not get Zeke into the passing game?  I'm not talking about the predictable screen to him on 3rd and 17.
As a Zeke owner, who selected him #1 overall in my redraft, I am officially worried. The passing game is doing nothing to take pressure off the running game.

The loss of Frederick is clearly a big blow but there are still three high level players and Williams could be one too. I worry that the loss of their o-line coach is hurting more than I anticipated.

I am happy that Zeke is salvaging weeks with TDs but it looks like rough sledding for him this year.

Looking forward to seeing Rico make more appearances. He was on the field twice and open twice. Bright future (and it didn’t cost us a second round pick for our backup TE) 

The WR didn’t see a to of action and they were covered tightly but it was very good to see that they are sure handed. Some of those catcher were difficult and almost all were hit the moment they caught the ball. 

Still need more creativity but this team is a year away from seriously making a threat.  They will still probably win the division because the other teams in it aren’t very good.
:fishing:

As a Zeke owner, who selected him #1 overall in my redraft, I am officially worried. The passing game is doing nothing to take pressure off the running game.

The loss of Frederick is clearly a big blow but there are still three high level players and Williams could be one too. I worry that the loss of their o-line coach is hurting more than I anticipated.

I am happy that Zeke is salvaging weeks with TDs but it looks like rough sledding for him this year.
Zeke is one of the few fantasy RBs this year that is performing.  If you look at DJ, Bell, Freeman, Mixon, Fournette, etc, their performances and injuries are all looking rough.  Zeke is actually one you shouldn't be too worried about compared to the others up there.  Not sure how you could have taken him over Gurley though.

Deamon said:
 You guys aren’t nearly as “loaded” as you think you are.   You also have no idea how your quarterback will play when he returns from his busted knee. He will likely not run as much so it will be interesting to see how well he plays and defenses play him now that the threat of him running will have been removed. 

I like I like the odds of our defensive line versus your hobbled, hillbilly quarterback.

Also, don’t get it twisted, you guys could win the next three superbowls IN A ROW and you still wouldn’t come close to touching the Dallas Cowboys as a franchise.

Good luck to you sir, have a great day!

Deamon said:
Zeke is one of the few fantasy RBs this year that is performing.  If you look at DJ, Bell, Freeman, Mixon, Fournette, etc, their performances and injuries are all looking rough.  Zeke is actually one you shouldn't be too worried about compared to the others up there.  Not sure how you could have taken him over Gurley though.
Don't get me wrong, I love Zeke.  He is producing despite being the entirety of the Dallas offense. What worries me is how the offense as a whole will develop as the season progresses. I am hoping that they will morph into the 2016 version of the Cowboys where Dak efficiently exploits all the mismatches in the passing game created by Zeke's presence allowing the offense as a whole to be in scoring position more often.  I am less confident in that possibility after the first two games.  Zeke will have a good year, no doubt but I now worry that his supporting cast will prevent him from having another magestical season like 2016. 

I went with Zeke over Gurley because I expected the Rams offense to regress a little bit and the Cowboys to improve a little bit.  Yeah, not so much I guess. I think the Cowboys have a more talented offensive line, even with the loss of Frederick, I expect Zeke to be used in the passing game more than previous seasons (and he has been so far even if the efficiency is turrible). I also couldn't get the notion out of my head that the last RB to repeat as #1 overall was Priest Holmes about a hundred years ago so I figured I would target one of the few guys who had a chance to finish there other than Gurley and Zeke seemed like the safest bet of the bunch.

After two games I am even more impressed with Sean McVay than before.  I really underestimated him and thought the rest of the league would catch up to the Rams this season, but maybe not.  Man that guy not only schemes during the week but he calls a helluva game on Sundays.

You guys aren’t nearly as “loaded” as you think you are.   You also have no idea how your quarterback will play when he returns from his busted knee. He will likely not run as much so it will be interesting to see how well he plays and defenses play him now that the threat of him running will have been removed. 

I like I like the odds of our defensive line versus your hobbled, hillbilly quarterback.

Also, don’t get it twisted, you guys could win the next three superbowls IN A ROW and you still wouldn’t come close to touching the Dallas Cowboys as a franchise.

Good luck to you sir, have a great day!
I don't think we're loaded at all.  Our offense is a mess right now with injuries.  Our 2nd WR is Aiken for christ sakes.... not good. 

I think Carson will be okay though.  He's on a mission this year to be a part of a playoff run.  Might take a few weeks to get there, but he'll get there.  He just needs weapons to be healthy around him, which right now they are not.

Again not sure what this has to do with 'who is the better franchise history'.  That was never a topic or point of conversation here.  Was just saying that we are still the favourites to win the division and I'd be surprised if Dallas was up there this year but you never know

Don't get me wrong, I love Zeke.  He is producing despite being the entirety of the Dallas offense. What worries me is how the offense as a whole will develop as the season progresses. I am hoping that they will morph into the 2016 version of the Cowboys where Dak efficiently exploits all the mismatches in the passing game created by Zeke's presence allowing the offense as a whole to be in scoring position more often.  I am less confident in that possibility after the first two games.  Zeke will have a good year, no doubt but I now worry that his supporting cast will prevent him from having another magestical season like 2016. 

I went with Zeke over Gurley because I expected the Rams offense to regress a little bit and the Cowboys to improve a little bit.  Yeah, not so much I guess. I think the Cowboys have a more talented offensive line, even with the loss of Frederick, I expect Zeke to be used in the passing game more than previous seasons (and he has been so far even if the efficiency is turrible). I also couldn't get the notion out of my head that the last RB to repeat as #1 overall was Priest Holmes about a hundred years ago so I figured I would target one of the few guys who had a chance to finish there other than Gurley and Zeke seemed like the safest bet of the bunch.

After two games I am even more impressed with Sean McVay than before.  I really underestimated him and thought the rest of the league would catch up to the Rams this season, but maybe not.  Man that guy not only schemes during the week but he calls a helluva game on Sundays.
He's a great coach and it seems that Gurley will keep truckin.  My only issue with the post was that you're worried about Zeke.  I don't think the Cowboys offense will sniff what they were in 2016, but I don't think you need them to.  Even if he gets heavy usage but less TDs, he still seems like he'll finish a top 10 back.  Out of a first overall pick, you can't really expect or hope to land the RB1 of the year, you have to be happy with Top 5 numbers.  Especially this year when there were (so far) so many top rbs that have hit.  I'd be regretful I didn't take Gurley for sure, but if fantasy drafts re-drafted today, Zeke would still likely go top 3. 

Bankerguy said:
After 2 Weeks:

Defense. To be fair they have not played elite Offenses. However, you have to like what we are seeing here.  I honestly cannot remember the last time we had corners who played properly.  Using leverage while also playing the ball.  Jones looks like a Pro Bowl corner and Awuzie is looking like a baller too.  The pass rush is stout and when mixing in some blitzes we are causing havoc. We are also getting some players (Gregory and Irvin) back from injury soon - which will increase our depth and freshness. LVE is a tackling machine, looks like a rugby player.  Jaylon while not perfect is flashing and made a few elite plays vs the Giants. 

Edit - ...and if you want to throw to Gathers in the Red Zone-great. Please have in in for a few plays though. Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to him on the throw to the right corner of the end zone.
the one who stood out to me was Jaylon Smith. Looks like you guys have a guy who can start for multiple years if his injury is behind him.

surprised how quiet it is in this thread. i know you guys aren't the fair weather types, so is it just a feeling of defeat? i'm not trying to push buttons, just curious on the thoughts on your team. 

my opinion, i think this game against Detroit is where you guys can likely see what you have. Back is against the wall, team is at home, can they bounce back or turtle up? I also am surprised at all the anti-Dak talk. I could see if people were viewing him as a top 3-5 QB in the league, but all this talk about moving on from him is just crazy. It isn't like there is an obvious replacement, and that isn't even the big issue. any QB in this current offense is going to struggle. Dak is currently set up to fail in the current situation, guarantee if Dallas makes a move to move past him and he gets to another team he will be an above average QB if in a good situation

If anybody was still backing Garrett, it's time to stop. I've actually given him the benefit of the doubt in the past, but the charade is over.

The Clapper couldn't coach is way out of a wet paper bag & we can't waste the young talent we have. 

Everyone & their brother is going to be interested in this job given our young talent not to mention the cap space we'll have. The cap is the elephant in the room & we'll have that advantage soon.

I trust Stephen & JJ will hire the right guy.

surprised how quiet it is in this thread. i know you guys aren't the fair weather types, so is it just a feeling of defeat? i'm not trying to push buttons, just curious on the thoughts on your team. 

my opinion, i think this game against Detroit is where you guys can likely see what you have. Back is against the wall, team is at home, can they bounce back or turtle up? I also am surprised at all the anti-Dak talk. I could see if people were viewing him as a top 3-5 QB in the league, but all this talk about moving on from him is just crazy. It isn't like there is an obvious replacement, and that isn't even the big issue. any QB in this current offense is going to struggle. Dak is currently set up to fail in the current situation, guarantee if Dallas makes a move to move past him and he gets to another team he will be an above average QB if in a good situation
In short, I cautioned against being a year away & we also have the HCing disadvantage which is obviously a huge factor.

When I say The Clapper has no clue, it's not schtick.

If anybody was still backing Garrett, it's time to stop. I've actually given him the benefit of the doubt in the past, but the charade is over.

The Clapper couldn't coach is way out of a wet paper bag & we can't waste the young talent we have. 

Everyone & their brother is going to be interested in this job given our young talent not to mention the cap space we'll have. The cap is the elephant in the room & we'll have that advantage soon.

I trust Stephen & JJ will hire the right guy.
I wouldn’t say I was backing him I’ve just been happy with the process and I was worried if we fire him we would blow the whole thing up. So it wasn’t so much as supporting Garrett as much as it was supporting the front office/direction of this team. 

I hate him. We need a new voice. Promote Richard and hire far better assistants.  I bet if Bill Callahan was here this line would be good again. I have no idea why we didn’t throw boatloads of money at that dude ( as a offensive line coach only )

In short, I cautioned against being a year away & we also have the HCing disadvantage which is obviously a huge factor.

When I say The Clapper has no clue, it's not schtick.
looks to me like the passing game is 8th grade stuff.  Dak fades back, scans the field, hits a WR with a defensive guy all over him.  This WR group has got to be on of the worst.  Also regarding the passing game,  no timing at all like say a NE.

I'm far from a Dallas homer, but an interested fan & their offense just seems herky jerky to me with no flow.  I have Zeke in 3 leagues & last year had Witten so have watched with interest.  Sad thing is-their defense is playing lights out for as long as they have been on the field.  IMO 

Users who are viewing this thread