What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 FBG WSL1 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Wasn't sure where Samuels was on anyone's radar. Almost decided to see if he would last another round. Glad I decided to pounce.
He was on mine, knocked him down a bit after reading that he might not recover from his injury well 

So I drafted the broken butt instead. :oldunsure:

Gonna be Norv's deep burner.  Probably will come close to Funchess's numbers at a 10 round discount.
Maybe, if he's fully healthy.

He was on mine, knocked him down a bit after reading that he might not recover from his injury well 

So I drafted the broken butt instead. :oldunsure:
Where did you see this? My research said he was expected to make full recovery and be ready for start of camp.

Didn't really want another old RB, but couldn't keep passing on old man Gore. Sure looks like he'll be playing next year, though perhaps not in Indy. 

QB:

Allen, Josh ROOKIE QB 

Keenum, Case MIN QB

McCarron, A.J. CIN QB

QBs went fast and furious, and while they do so every year, I feel as though this season was especially fast.  While not one of my QBs is "set" in a role, I feel confident that between the three of them, I will get decent output on a weekly basis.  Would love it if one of the vets ended on the same squad as Allen, so I would be assured a starter, but we will see.

RB:

Bell, Le'Veon PIT RB

Cohen, Tarik CHI RB

Johnson, Kerryon ROOKIE RB

Miller, Lamar HOU RB

Feeling "fine" here.  Bell, of course, can carry a weak RB2, and I think between Cohen, Miller and Kerryon, I will have a good flow of points coming from that second slot.

WR:

Funchess, Devin CAR WR

Hill, Tyreek KCC WR

Matthews, Jordan BUF WR 

Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR 

Shepard, Sterling NYG WR

This is a good group thus far.  Hill should not be hurt with Mahomes, and Funchess is an ascending player.  Sanders/Shepard make a great WR3 combo, and Matthews will have a decent floor when healthy.  Not many upside guys (yet), but I feel very comfortable going into the season with this group.

TE:

Engram, Evan NYG TE 

James, Jesse PIT TE

I went earlier on TE than I ever have in one of these, so we will see whether it pays off.  If Marshall is back with the Giants (you never know with him), it could hurt his numbers, but all the WRs were injured in 2017, so it would be a miracle for all of the same guys to get through 2018 unscathed.  Was lucky to get Jesse James when I did...there really was nothing after him (not that I think so highly of him).

The Rest

Catanzaro, Chandler NYJ PK

Crosby, Mason GBP PK

Jets, New York NYJ Def

6.11 Patrick Mahomes QB19 KC
7.06 Ryan Tannehill QB22 MIA

Might need to add a flyer here....but expecting Mahomes to post a decent score each week with the occasional monster games mixed in....Tannehill should be fine as a QB2...word came out about AJ McC about 5 minutes after one of my picks below or I may have gone that route and added a third while also hurting Sweet Love....

1.06 Alvin Kamara RB5 NOS
2.11 DeVonta Freeman RB15 ATL
10.11 Peyton Barber RB47 TB
15.06 LaGarrette Bount RB60 FA
16.11 Jonathan Stewart RB63 CAR

Blount: looks like the same player he did years ago, doesn't seem to be losing steam.....should assume the same kind of role wherever he ends up, which usually has him playing more than people think and he can still sniff the end zone...guess he loves PHI and wants to stay...wouldn't be the worse spot....guy can post a usable score on 2 carries for 2 yards...finished as RB45 last year

Stewart: have a piece of every running game in the NFC south as it stands now...Stew finished as RB41 and not sure what will really change so maybe some value at RB63....

OK with rolling with these 5....just need bye weeks to be kind...ignored the position for 7 rounds after going RB-RB to start so ok with how this shook out...if Barber is handed the keys that would help this group a ton....may add another piece if I decide to go solo at PK...

3.06 Josh Gordon WR15 CLE 
4.11 Jordy Nelson WR25 GB
8.11 Josh Docston WR48 WAS
9.06 Mohamed Sanu WR52 ATL
13.06 Tyler Lockett WR73 SEA
17.06 Allen Hurns WR82 JAC

Lockett: not a bad option in best ball with big play ability, Richardson a free agent, so Lockett very well could be SEA WR2, Graham may be gone as well....Lockett finished as WR57 and his situation could improve....

Hurns: missed 6 games down the stretch.....still finished as WR47 in weekly average at almost 10 PPG....looked good against the Pats....could be released, which might be a good thing...a new landing spot/QB situation could seriously help his value..

Kind of a funky crew have thrown together here....going to be leaning on Gordon/Nelson to actually provide upper level production..

5.06 Kyle Rudolph TE9 MIN
11.06 Tyler Kroft TE23 CIN

I think I may be higher on Kroft than most....not sure most think he will be relevant as I saw some rankings where he isn't even on the list....but he was startable/serviceable at times last year...

12.11 Harrison Butker PK KC2: Chiefs fan so kind of a homer pick, but kid is a stud, offense should generate plenty of opportunities.

14.11 Baltimore Ravens DST7: meh

oof....gonna have to have things go my way and hit on some of my gambles.....ouch... :banned:

Sweet Love said:
QB:

Allen, Josh ROOKIE QB 

Keenum, Case MIN QB

McCarron, A.J. CIN QB

QBs went fast and furious, and while they do so every year, I feel as though this season was especially fast.  While not one of my QBs is "set" in a role, I feel confident that between the three of them, I will get decent output on a weekly basis.  Would love it if one of the vets ended on the same squad as Allen, so I would be assured a starter, but we will see.

Wanted to block AJ from you as I saw the corner you kind of backed yourself into....this will be a fun group to monitor as you could be just fine or in a ton of trouble....when I think of Keenum and AJ, I guess I just ask myself how comfortable I would be with either of them going in as "the man" for my team....while he played pretty well for MIN, there seems to be some hesitancy from the front office and coaching staff there about Case....AJ's played in 11 games, so sample size pretty small....fantasy wise, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they are playing.

RB:

Bell, Le'Veon PIT RB

Cohen, Tarik CHI RB

Johnson, Kerryon ROOKIE RB

Miller, Lamar HOU RB

Feeling "fine" here.  Bell, of course, can carry a weak RB2, and I think between Cohen, Miller and Kerryon, I will have a good flow of points coming from that second slot.

Yeah the definition of fine here is important....Miller won't be on many of my teams, but Nagy should help Cohen...don't know much about the rookie...all about Bell staying healthy here IMO....."fine" could be just fine and everything really is ok...or the "fine" you get when you ask your wife how she is doing after cleaning the house all day while you were out golfing, drinking, and smoking cigars....do you golf?

WR:

Funchess, Devin CAR WR

Hill, Tyreek KCC WR

Matthews, Jordan BUF WR 

Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR 

Shepard, Sterling NYG WR

This is a good group thus far.  Hill should not be hurt with Mahomes, and Funchess is an ascending player.  Sanders/Shepard make a great WR3 combo, and Matthews will have a decent floor when healthy.  Not many upside guys (yet), but I feel very comfortable going into the season with this group.

agree this group is pretty decent...IMO 3 #1's as I think Sanders is better moving forward than DT....not sure what Mathews will bring to a new team off his injuries....

TE:

Engram, Evan NYG TE 

James, Jesse PIT TE

I went earlier on TE than I ever have in one of these, so we will see whether it pays off.  If Marshall is back with the Giants (you never know with him), it could hurt his numbers, but all the WRs were injured in 2017, so it would be a miracle for all of the same guys to get through 2018 unscathed.  Was lucky to get Jesse James when I did...there really was nothing after him (not that I think so highly of him).

Engram is solid....McDonald seems to have cut into James's fantasy stock pretty heavily....might need a third dart throw to hit here....

The Rest

Catanzaro, Chandler NYJ PK

Crosby, Mason GBP PK

Jets, New York NYJ Def

good luck.... :banned:

-OZ- said:
Didn't really want another old RB, but couldn't keep passing on old man Gore. Sure looks like he'll be playing next year, though perhaps not in Indy. 
Thought about him a couple times. Just fear that he is only getting on a team in mid August and only as an injury replacement. Then he comes in as 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart behind a couple guys that have been through OTAs and camp and has to work his way into playing time by week 4 or 5.

Thought about him a couple times. Just fear that he is only getting on a team in mid August and only as an injury replacement. Then he comes in as 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart behind a couple guys that have been through OTAs and camp and has to work his way into playing time by week 4 or 5.
As long as he's on the field by bye weeks I'm probably good with that.

Rookies as a group are a little more risky this early due to unknown fit and their compassion to get better. However, if you trust the talent then it seems that drafting them in the WSLs and even the PDSLs is more of a bargain than you will get later, especially if your preferred rookie hits.

:rant:  you're a GD thief!

To be honest, Hurns wasn't at the top of my "late round flyers who might be steals" list, but he was up there. Lockett and Blount were at the top. I am a little wary of Blount only due to the influx of talent in the draft. I don't expect anyone to sign him before the draft, so he might have difficulty finding a role without a camp injury due to his age. But if he gets a chance, I think he'll hang onto it. I agree that he hasn't lost it yet, but it's hard to fight the ageism present in NFL front offices. I fully agree that Lockett has a lot of upside for the reasons you stated. Hurns is still young and he's proven he can be a fantasy WR2 in the right situation. The biggest risk is that he isn't cut. It becomes even worse if they tag AR15. But he's an excellent flyer bc he seems likely to be cut.

To give a full analysis, I like the Mahomes/Tannehill combo - great value plays. Tannehill was putting together a nice season in Gase's first year in Miami. Things should improve in year 3. Mahomes has a lot of upside. The combo would make me a little nervous, and like you I'd be considering a 3rd QB, but from the outside looking in, it could be a great value combo if everything breaks right for you.

I like your RBs, although I feel like Barber was a wasted pick. I like his talent ok, but I think he goes back to being buried on the depth chart. But on a whole, even if he disappears, you should be ok so long as Carolina doesn't replace Stewart. Would not be great to start the year with only 3 guys getting meaningful snaps.

If Jordy isn't cut, this is a solid squad of WRs even if I'm not sure about Doctson. I feel like he had his opportunity last year and botched it, but maybe he gets a re-do with a reinvigorated Alex Smith...

TE is definitely the kink in your armor. Rudolph fell off way more than expected and while Kroft has looked serviceable, his situation is up in the air. They could easily sign someone (including Eifert) or he could get leapfrogged on the depth chart. If he doesn't, I'm not sure anyone can expect him to improve upon last year's numbers. With this being a TE premium league, I'd have probably used a 3rd spot here. With the unfair advantage of hindsight, I'd have used the Barber pick.

All in all, a formidable WSL team.

Whew.... Sorry for any Delays... I was up Skiing and I was told there would be internet access but, of course my Sprint Service was excluded so, I needed to get to a place each time to pick..... Not even sure who I picked lol... I was winging it - I know i took 2 D's 2 K's and 2 Scrubs.....

If I were around I would have wanted to target rookies in there maybe waited on a D..... could have stretched the clock a little but hated using as much overnight time as I had to....... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Stafford

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

David Johnson

Sony Michel (R)

Theo Riddick

Danny Woodhead

Elijah Mcguire

Alshon Jeffery

Doug Baldwin

Kelvin Benjamin

Donte Moncreif

John Brown

Hunter Henry

Austin Hooper

Zeurlien

Fair'Barn

JAX

Seattle

I like the looks of this squad, with one pick to go. In hindsight I should of done something else with the Flacco pick and went Baker Mayfield/Nick Foles (man love alert) later. 

Recent picks  I really like - Ricky Seals Jones and Trent Taylor -wr- SF, I was thinking about RSJ but I didn't want to be too short at RB/WR with 3 QBs already in tow

There were a couple rookie RBs like liked this past round but passed on. lets see if they go.

Not that it's make or break, but I'm pleasantly surprised to get Dallas D as Def30 off the board.  I had them solidly in the middle of the pack.

Wow, got straight up jacked at the last second. Been holding off on my WR6, thinking there's no way anybody is going to take Albert Wilson... he's way off the radar. Then, at 19.13, right before my 19.14 pick... Mr. Irrelevant steps in and snipes me. Cost me 15 minutes of sleep last night trying to find a replacement. Did not have a contingency plan.  :kicksrock:

Nice pick Mr. I... hopefully as a FA somebody finds a way to get him more involved. He's a very underrated player. 

Wow, got straight up jacked at the last second. Been holding off on my WR6, thinking there's no way anybody is going to take Albert Wilson... he's way off the radar. Then, at 19.13, right before my 19.14 pick... Mr. Irrelevant steps in and snipes me. Cost me 15 minutes of sleep last night trying to find a replacement. Did not have a contingency plan.  :kicksrock:

Nice pick Mr. I... hopefully as a FA somebody finds a way to get him more involved. He's a very underrated player. 

I was eyeing Him as well..... If I wasn't lacking internet he would have been my pick last round,,,, Hating that Austin pick on the fly now.

I was eyeing Him as well..... If I wasn't lacking internet he would have been my pick last round,,,, Hating that Austin pick on the fly now.
Austin is an ideal best ball player. You just gotta hope he gets cut and signs somewhere that will utilize him more. 

OK.. Glad to be back in Draft mode, gettin' the feet wet..... Let's see what this mess looks like...

Cousins, Kirk WAS QB409.0-6.01

Ryan, Matt ATL QB339.5-5.16

Drafting at 16,, the ole QB conundrum... Looked at a few past year drafts and more QB's went before round 6 in this one over a few I peeked at. I used to do a ton more stats checks but, overall I feel like QB run was hit harder in this draft..... Don't love this duo - Of course depends on Where Cousins lands - And as a Jet fan I'm not even sure if I'm all in for Kurt over the rookies at the $$$$ being talked about... Probably better landing spots fantasy wise too (like anywhere)

Ryan was middle of the pack last year in FF but, solid, hopefully they get back on track.

Was debating Brady in round 4 At which point I would have waited on QB2 till round 7/8 or more and loaded up on better RB/WR early

Drake, Kenyan MIA RB

Thompson, Chris WAS 

ROOKIE: NICK CHUBB RB

Jones, Aaron GBP RB

Hill, Jeremy CIN RBMon 

ROOKIE: RB Nyheim Hines

Well, I got 6 of em...... Looks like I took 6 Darts and just threw em at a wall at once LOL... Lotta risk this time of the year but, a bunch of backs that could fill some weekly numbers - soured on Chubb a little after the pick over other rooks / later value but, like Hines late as a speedy pass catcher who might get spot duty / change of pace somewhere asap. I like to get rookies at this time of year. They will clear up and move around boards by next draft.

Drake/Thompson/Jones/Hill.... Oh My.

I admit I saw a top $$ Best ball drafter take Thompson WAY early in another draft (Pick 60) and just took him here myself at pick 112... Not really sure how I feel about it...lol

Austin, Tavon LAR WR50.7-17.16

Godwin, Chris TBB WR92.5-10.01

Grant, Jakeem MIA WR46.5-19.16

Hilton, T.Y. IND WR177.6-4.01

Jones, Zay BUF WR (Q)70.6-12.01

Stills, Kenny MIA WR178.7-9.16

Thomas, Michael NOS WR258.5-2.01

Again, Strength in Numbers?  Miami situation is interesting - Is Landry a sign and trade? I doubt  it myself. Would be nice for this squad to see Landry go, of course and get Grant some more work.... Not a hug Fan of TY Hilton but, where I got him and considering he had almost 1000 yards in a possible Worst Case scenario at QB? Two 2nd year WR's: healthier Zay Jones. Godwin hopefully gets more play maybe slot work in year 2... K Stills gets his points.... I don't hate this group with M Thomas as an anchor - Better darts than the RB's...

Kelce, Travis KCC TE318.5-1.16

Hopefully the #1 TE and with Gronk talk!!!!

Hauschka, Steven BUF PK116.0-13.16

McManus, Brandon DEN PK99.0-14.01

Bills, Buffalo BUF Def109.0-16.01

Patriots, New England NEP Def102.0-15.16

Overall I like it for Draft 1.... The Ski Trip threw me off a little - I would have tweaked a few things late with some internet..... Maybe jump at QB earlier Depending on Draft slot... Rolled with the 1 TE and tried to bolster RB/WR.... Hopefully that bye week doesn't kill me. 

CURRENT ROSTER

Manning, Eli NYG QB

Rosen, Josh ROOK QB

Wentz, Carson PHI QB

Rosen probably wasn't necessary but at this point it's partly about upside, partly value, partly because I don't know Wentz plays week 1, although the rookie might not either.  Overall I like this group. 

Fournette, Leonard JAC RB

Gore, Frank IND RB

Henry, Derrick TEN RB

Lynch, Marshawn OAK RB

My weakness for sure, even worse if Gore doesn't play or start. I think they'll be enough to keep the team competitive but this is a below average group unless Lynch and Gore show their old man strength.

St. Brown, Eq ROOK WR

Cole, Keelan JAC WR

Davis, Corey TEN WR

Evans, Mike TBB WR 

Ridley, Calvin ROOK WR

Westbrook, Dede JAC WR

I like this group although a lot will depend on Ridley and St Brown. Evans is a wr1, Davis I think a 2, then it's WRBC.

Butt, Jake DEN TE

Doyle, Jack IND TE

Everett, Gerald LAR TE

Doyle should provide a nice floor each week, Everett and butt bring the upside. 

Bailey, Dan DAL PK

Gano, Graham CAR PK

Browns, Cleveland CLE Def

Texans, Houston HOU Def

Two kickers with jobs, two defenses.

If I had liked my te1 it qb2 more I would have taken a 5th RB, but I felt like I needed to go 3 deep there. Probably took butt way too high. Just for the record, if I hadn't taken butt there I almost certainly would have taken Samuels. Then instead of St Brown it would have been butt. So I'll keep an eye on Samuels vs. St Brown and see what it would have meant.

FF Ninja said:

The funny thing is I had Jonnu Smith queued up in the 19th under the same principle ... only to have Broncos snipe him from me two picks ahead. Man, this crew is always on their game.

I was as surprised as anyone to see Wilson still on the board.

• QB12 Goff (5.14)
  • QB15 Dak (6.03)
It's weird. I feel like I've got nothing against either of these guys, but at the same time I'll be shocked if I have either of them on another team this year. They're both fine players with safe jobs and good upside. I'm content at QB. By looking at rankings, I had previously assumed I'd have Stafford/Rivers at the 5th/6th round turn. Was shocked they went earlier than expected while these two slipped a bit.

• RB20 Guice (3.14)
  • RB31 Crowell (7.14)
  • RB53 Gio (11.14)
  • RB71 Dougie (17.14)
  • RB76 Vereen (19.14)
Little risky to go with a rookie RB as my RB1, but Guice should get a heavy workload out of the gate. He'd be the best RB of his class in most years. Crowell's uncertainty makes him cheap, but as a 25 year old workhorse, I think he'll find a nice job somewhere. Gio at RB53 felt like a steal. I'm hoping Doug Martin finds a role somewhere at age 29 and Vereen keeps his job as a pass catcher. I love that WSL has 20 rounds so I can afford to go 5 deep at this position. As a whole, I feel good about this group, but won't feel at ease until I see where Guice, Crowell, and Martin end up.

• WR6 Julio (2.03)
  • WR22 Diggs (4.03)
  • WR46 Coleman (8.03)
  • WR56 Cobb (10.03)
  • WR68 Pryor (12.03)
  • WR98 Beasley (20.03)
Funny that I took all my RBs going into the turn and all my WRs coming out. My subconscious must value RBs over WRs. Really debated between Julio and Evans as my WR1, but don't feel like you can really go wrong either way. Diggs is elite when healthy. I'll take that in best ball. Coleman can't break his hand 3 years in a row... right? I think we'll see why he went 15th overall in his 3rd season. Cobb at WR56 just felt like thievery. What's the difference between Cobb and Crowder? About 4 rounds! Couldn't believe Pryor was still sitting around this late. The guy has to latch on somewhere and he'll be looking for a place that will give him targets. He's not going to be at the bottom of anybody's depth chart. And finally, Beasley who was supposed to be Albert Wilson. I don't know why Beasley fell out of favor last year, but here's to hoping he recaptures that 2016 magic... All in all, I think this is probably the strength of my team despite the mid-level draft pick investment.

• TE1 Gronk (1.14)
  • TE18 Eifert (9.14)
  • TE34 Gathers (18.03)
If healthy, this is going to be a crazy group. But these guys are all injury risks. Even if just two are healthy, this will be a good group. Since I've already got him in WSL, I probably won't take Gronk in one of the 18-man roster leagues. I bit on him in the 1st round as a no-brainer in this format, but quickly regretted that I'd feel obligated to use one of my two "extra" roster spots at TE. Normally I would expect to only use 2 spots if I invested a 1st or 2nd rounder on the TE position.

• PK12 Elliott (13.14)
  • PK17 Lambo (14.03)
  • D13 Panthers (15.14)
  • D16 Saints (16.03)
Sucks to block off 4 rounds in a row to PK and D, but I wanted to make sure I'm not stuck with a PK that gets cut. I figure Philly can't move on from Elliott and Lambo did great work in JAX after he took over early in the season. These two defenses scored fairly well last year. That's about all the thought I put into PK & D. Hopefully neither kicker gets injured. Sturgis did me wrong last year. I think I finished 2nd or 3rd despite only having 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1PK, and 2D healthy. So starting off with all these backups will feel good while it lasts. 

Had planned to take a second rookie QB here to shore up my rather weak sauce two deep roster, but OZ grabbed Rosen. I considered a free agent QB, but with the two ppr for TEs decided to shore up that also weak position. Mike Gesecki PSU is the pick.

i also could have drafted a second PK to shore up that weak position, get the picture here. 

I’ll try to give some comments over the nex day or so, but work is super busy this week and I am headed to church choir practice in a few minutes.

i do like my RBs and WRs.

PLAYER 2017 YTD PTS BYE DRAFTED
Brady, Tom NEP QB 424.1 - 4.04
Trubisky, Mitchell CHI QB 188.8 - 8.04
Coleman, Tevin ATL RB 167.7 - 5.13
Dixon, Kenneth BAL RB (Q) - - 11.13
Grant, Corey JAC RB 43.9 - 17.13
Hyde, Carlos SFO RB 235.8 - 3.13
McCaffrey, Christian CAR RB 230.6 - 2.04
Beckham, Odell NYG WR (Q) 74.0 - 1.13
Garcon, Pierre SFO WR (Q) 90.0 - 6.04
Golladay, Kenny DET WR 94.6 - 10.04
Meredith, Cameron CHI WR - - 9.13
Ross, John CIN WR (Q) 1.2 - 14.04
Washington, James ROOK WR - - 15.13
Wilson, Albert KCC WR 116.0 - 19.13
Davis, Vernon WAS TE 168.8 - 12.04
Fleener, Coby NOS TE (Q) 85.5 - 20.04
Howard, O.J. TBB TE (Q) 131.2 - 7.13
Prater, Matt DET PK 130.0 - 13.13
Cardinals, Arizona ARI Def 113.0 - 16.04
Washington WAS Def 115.0 - 18.04

1.13 - Odell Beckham, NYG (WR3) - Transcendent talent with MVP upside. QB situation a potential concern but, frankly, Eli has been replacement-level for most of OBJ's career already.
Also considered: Gronk, Kelce

2.04 - Christian McCaffrey, CAR (RB12) - Anyone who confidently predicts how he's going to be used next season is lying. 100+ targets should assure a floor, but will he get a shot at being the lead back and can he improve on 3.7 YPC if he does?
Also considered: M. Evans, J. Mixon, Z. Ertz

3.13 - Carlos Hyde, FA (RB19) - OZ sniped Henry from me, so I settled for the likely highest-paid FA RB out there. Hoping he re-signs with the Niners - I want as many pieces of that offense as I can grab - but there are several other attractive landing spots.
Also considered: K. Drake, R. Wilson

4.04 - Tom Brady, NE (QB4) - Counting on him holding off Father Time for one more season. If his 2018 is Peyton's 2014 - the stopgap year between "consensus MVP" and "oof, someone please get that guy off the field" - I'll take it.
Also considered: C. Wentz, J. Graham

5.13 - Tevin Coleman, ATL (RB26) - OZ sniped me again on Davis, because of course he did.  Went in another direction entirely by grabbing an RB3 early, which I rarely bother with. Some uncertainty about whether he'll stay with ATL, but if so I expect a bounceback from the entire Falcons' pass game, which should disproportionately benefit Coleman.
Also considered: K. Cousins, C. Thompson

6.04 - Pierre Garcon, SF (WR33) - Admittedly a reach, but I wasn't willing to hold my breath hoping he comes back to me. #1s are target hogs in Shanahan's system, and Garcon looks more likely than anyone else on the roster to fill that role. 
Also considered: Closing my eyes and throwing a dart at the Rams' WR depth chart

7.13 - O.J. Howard, TB (TE12) - Had my eye on him since my last pick as I really needed to start gunning for upside. Brate is a RFA and I suspect / hope he'll get an offer the Bucs won't match, leaving a lot of targets for a guy with top-5 talent.
Also considered: None (would have settled for Njoku)

8.04 - Mitch Trubisky, CHI (QB24) - Probably the last unquestioned starter left on the board. Excited to see what he can do now that the Bears have swapped Fox for Nagy, which in NFL offense terms is like swapping a Tesla engine into your Nissan Leaf. 
Also considered: None

9.13 - Cameron Meredith, CHI (WR53) - The likely #1 option on the aforementioned Tesla engine-swap project seems like a steal in the late 9th. All sources indicate he'll be full-go by the time TC rolls around.
Also considered: K. Stills, R. Cobb, K. Golladay

10.04 - Kenny Golladay, DET (WR57) - Really flipped a coin here between him and Westbrook - talented rookies who flashed but face uncertain opportunity. No one else left at the position offers their upside, which I really needed, but although Kenny G's a higher-risk play I trust his QB situation more.
Also considered: D. Westbook

11.13 - Kenneth Dixon, BAL (RB52) - I owned a lot of Alex Collins shares last year, but for all his production, the Ravens aren't exactly falling over themselves to anoint him the bellcow. Dixon is probably still more naturally talented than Collins, and certainly has more to offer in the passing game.
Also considered: A. Jones

12.04 - Vernon Davis, WAS (TE27) - Reunites with the QB who force-fed him in San Fran. And betting against Jordan Reed's health is the kind of wager that would get you banned from Vegas casinos.
Also considered: D. Amendola, J. Ross, T. Burton

13.13 - Matt Prater, DET (PK11) - Because I needed one. 

14.04 - John Ross, CIN (WR74) - Best-ball cheat code ACTIVATED
Also considered: PK2, if I actually went about these things rationally

15.13 - James Washington, ROOK (WR77) - Crazy that only two WRs went off the board in the almost two full rounds between my picks. I know next to nothing about Washington, but if he's good enough for Matt Waldman, he's good enough for my WR6.
Also considered: Patriots or Cardinals DST

16.04 - Cardinals DST (Def17) - Finished 4th in both PFR's and FO's team defense metrics. Hoping they bring in a veteran FA like Keenum who can milk the clock and keep them in games rather than handing the reins to a rookie (I still have flashbacks of watching that Skelton/Lindley 58-0 horror show with a friend from Phoenix).
Also considered: None 

17.13 - Corey Grant, JAX (RB70) - Fun Trivia that Interests Nobody But Me: Who led all RBs in FO's DVOA (most value per play) in 2017? That'd be Corey Grant, who's got the ability to play the lightning to Fournette's thunder in 2018, especially if (as seems likely) one of Yeldon or Ivory gets the boot.
Also considered: B. Allen, J. McKissic, M. Gillislee

18.04 - Washington DST (Def25) - Only remaining unit that finished above average in PFR/FO metrics last season. And while I don't think Alex Smith is *better* than Cousins, he excels at clock-killing drives and giving opposing offenses longer fields to deal with.
Also considered: Cowboys DST

19.13 - Albert Wilson, FA (WR95) - An underappreciated and underutilized asset who led the NFL in average yards of separation and IMO will be the "wait, he signed for how much?" surprise of the 2018 FA class. Has WR3 upside at the right destination.
Also considered: T. Benjamin, C. Conley (a little surprised he went undrafted)

20.04 - Coby Fleener, NO (TE40) - Lo, how the mighty have fallen!
Also considered: Drafting a third DST just to #### with someone

Overall ... not my favorite team ever, but not too bad. QB will be top quartile. WR positioned well with one stud, a couple reliable #1s, and a bunch of dart throws from which I should cobble 1-2 scores each week. My RB group has a fairly low upside but a high floor and should produce consistent points. TE is gonna be the big question mark ... if Brate re-signs and Reed stays healthy, I could be bringing up the back of the pack at a critical position. Ideally, the three of them will put up enough solid weeks to at least not be a boat anchor. ST's are  below average as well, but that never cost anyone a title in these leagues.

I think this squad has enough of both ceiling and floor to be a threat, but it's gonna take some lucky breaks in FA and TC to realize it. I should be able to give a pretty good assessment in August if this team is a contender or a September out.

Best of luck to all ... these things are always a blast.  :suds:

Mariota, Marcus TEN QB301.1-6.10

Rivers, Philip LAC QB394.0-5.07

Reached a bit for Rivers, wanted his consistency.  Marietta was drafted last year in the qb10-12 range as I recall but disappointed.  I expect a bounce back and he did perform better in the playoffs this year.  Overall two solid starters with no job threat.

Abdullah, Ameer DET RB126.4-14.10

Cook, Dalvin MIN RB (Q)67.4-1.07

Royce Freeman RB--18.10

Powell, Bilal NYJ RB147.2-9.07

Prosise, C.J. SEA RB (Q)17.0-15.07

Williams, Jamaal GBP RB142.8-8.10

Not sure what to make of this group.  A lot riding on Cook.  If he performs then a bunch of darts at RB2.  On paper Powell and Williams are currently at the top of the depth chart on their teams.  The NFL draft will change this, but both should get plenty of touches this year.  Prosisie is the best back on Seattle's roster but always gets hurt.  Abdullah will get a shot somewhere.  With a good combine I could see Freeman jumping 8 rounds in the SSL

Adams, Davante GBP WR222.5-2.10

Benjamin, Travis LAC WR124.3-20.10

Cooper, Amari OAK WR158.4-3.07

Decker, Eric TEN WR116.3-16.10

Fuller, Will HOU WR (Q)113.2-7.07

Maclin, Jeremy BAL WR102.0-17.07

Williams, Mike LAC WR20.5-10.10

I think many won't like this group.  Adams should be Rodger's #1 this year.  Maybe not huge yardage upside, but good for 10 TDs.  Cooper has the talent and should bounce back with a health Carr.  Really like Fuller in this format.  Won't score often but his long TDs should post a score 6-8 weeks.  Williams was basically drafted as the equivalent of a rookie TE.  Missing the whole preseason set him back so I'm discounting 2017.  More talent than any of the rookies coming out this year.  Feel like Decker and Maclin were excellent value in rounds 16 and 17.  They'll be on a roster this year and fell like one will land in a good spot to bounce back this year.  Benjamin was a Williams hedge.  Worst case he posts 3-4 scores this year.

Cook, Jared OAK TE188.8-11.07

Graham, Jimmy SEA TE226.0-4.10

A lot riding on Graham ending up in a good spot.  NO would be ideal.  Cook shouldn't have been there at 11.7.

Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK156.0-12.10

Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def115.0-19.07

Eagles, Philadelphia PHI Def154.0-13.07

Went with one PK.  Wouldn't do this in a total points leagues, but after having 6 WRs on the same bye last year I like having more RB/WR.  Defensive pairing should be above average.

Looking at this roster I understand why I don't win many titles but have never been eliminated in week 1.  Just looks like too conservative of a roster to post big weeks late in the year.

6.11 Patrick Mahomes QB19 KC
7.06 Ryan Tannehill QB22 MIA

1.06 Alvin Kamara RB5 NOS
2.11 DeVonta Freeman RB15 ATL
10.11 Peyton Barber RB47 TB
16.11 Jonathan Stewart RB63 CAR

3.06 Josh Gordon WR15 CLE 
4.11 Jordy Nelson WR25 GB
8.11 Josh Docston WR48 WAS
9.06 Mohamed Sanu WR52 ATL
20.11 Demarcus Robinson WR100 KC

5.06 Kyle Rudolph TE9 MIN
11.06 Tyler Kroft TE23 CIN
19.06 Ricky Seals-Jones TE37 ARZ

12.11 Harrison Butker PK2 KC

14.11 Baltimore Ravens DST7
18.11 San Francisco 49ers DST26

Ended by adding:

SF DST: things should be getting better in SF.

TE Ricky Seals-Jones: showed a little for ARZ last year.  Gresham with a pretty brutal injury in week 17, so he may not be back.  RSJ could grab the keys and drive the car there at TE.  Felt adding a third TE in this format is never really a bad thing.

WR: Demarcus Robinson: showed a little in the time he got in KC.  Wilson may not be back and Conley tore his Achilles, so if the season started today, Robinson is looking at being the WR2 in KC.  He should at least fill the WR3 role there and with Mahomes may have some decent weeks. 

Overall: Decided to roll with one PK, felt the 5 RB’s would be ok, felt the need to add a 7th WR and a third TE.  Not a great team by any means.  Don’t feel like I have a ton of pop unless Gordon and Nelson show me some old time love. Could use the break through from Doctson that people are expecting as well as Lockett being the WR2 in SEA.   Wow…just realized I am kind of asking for stuff from a lot of my guys as I could go on with the same comments about Barber, Hurns, Kroft, Seal-Jones, etc.  To me that signals I didn’t do a very good job here, but maybe will feel differently in September. I usually go rookie free in these and did it again, oh well…we’ll see what happens….good luck… :banned:

. I usually go rookie free in these and did it again, oh well…we’ll see what happens….good luck… :banned:
Good team Imo

The rookie thing is tough in wsl. On one hand you have no idea where they'll play or if they will backup someone. Otoh, there's the potential payoff. My best team last year had Hunt which was fantastic value. I think I only lost because my one kicker was janikowski and I had way too many players on bye week 8.  

Most likely many of the rookies won't do much. But there will be a few who pay off big.

Adams, Davante GBP WR222.5-2.10

Benjamin, Travis LAC WR124.3-20.10

Cooper, Amari OAK WR158.4-3.07

Decker, Eric TEN WR116.3-16.10

Fuller, Will HOU WR (Q)113.2-7.07

Maclin, Jeremy BAL WR102.0-17.07

Williams, Mike LAC WR20.5-10.10

I think many won't like this group.  Adams should be Rodger's #1 this year.  Maybe not huge yardage upside, but good for 10 TDs.  Cooper has the talent and should bounce back with a health Carr.  Really like Fuller in this format.  Won't score often but his long TDs should post a score 6-8 weeks.  Williams was basically drafted as the equivalent of a rookie TE.  Missing the whole preseason set him back so I'm discounting 2017.  More talent than any of the rookies coming out this year.  Feel like Decker and Maclin were excellent value in rounds 16 and 17.  They'll be on a roster this year and fell like one will land in a good spot to bounce back this year.  Benjamin was a Williams hedge.  Worst case he posts 3-4 scores this year.
Then they're not paying attention.

This group right here screams why my plan in MFL10s and money leagues is going to be one stud WR and then waiting forever on the rest. There's just so many guys in the 7th-10th rounds and even later (Maclin is a great example, or even Albert Wilson, who I got in the late 19th) that can put up consistent WR3 numbers with WR2 weeks that there's no point in investing multiple 3rd, 4th, 5th-round picks at the position.

IMO Cooper was your only misstep. I think your team looks stronger if you swap out Cooper / Decker for two of Shepard / Hogan / Matthews / Sanu / Stills given you'd have Derrick Henry as your RB2 instead of Powell or Williams.

This group right here screams why my plan in MFL10s and money leagues is going to be one stud WR and then waiting forever on the rest. There's just so many guys in the 7th-10th rounds and even later (Maclin is a great example, or even Albert Wilson, who I got in the late 19th) that can put up consistent WR3 numbers with WR2 weeks that there's no point in investing multiple 3rd, 4th, 5th-round picks at the position.

IMO Cooper was your only misstep. I think your team looks stronger if you swap out Cooper / Decker for two of Shepard / Hogan / Matthews / Sanu / Stills given you'd have Derrick Henry as your RB2 instead of Powell or Williams.
:boxing:  (fwiw I would have had to take Hyde)

we might need to slow the roll a little and lets not get too carried away....if you drafted Maclin last year you got 40-440-3....not sure what you are looking for at WR2/3, but not exactly PPR gold there....Wilson chiming in with 42-554-3 with almost a forth (10) of his receptions and over a forth (147) of his yards coming in the last meaningless game of the season against Denver....again not sure what you are looking for from your WR2/3 but I wouldn't exactly say the two guys you listed gave you "consistent production", especially in this survivor format....in fact if you were counting on either of them last year as your WR2/3....you were probably eliminated very early....especially with Wilson...

we might need to slow the roll a little and lets not get too carried away....if you drafted Maclin last year you got 40-440-3....not sure what you are looking for at WR2/3, but not exactly PPR gold there....Wilson chiming in with 42-554-3 with almost a forth (10) of his receptions and over a forth (147) of his yards coming in the last meaningless game of the season against Denver....again not sure what you are looking for from your WR2/3 but I wouldn't exactly say the two guys you listed gave you "consistent production", especially in this survivor format....in fact if you were counting on either of them last year as your WR2/3....you were probably eliminated very early....especially with Wilson...
True enough ... and I don't think that far down the list asking for consistent WR3 production is reasonable ... but seeing as how Maclin is Bass' WR6 and Wilson is my WR7 neither one of us has to rely on them every week for that. If I can get four countable weeks from a WR7 over the course of a season I'd call it a win.

Now when you start looking at names like Shepard, Hogan, Meredith, Stills, Enunwa, Mike Williams from the 9th/10th rounds, yeah, I think consistent WR3 numbers with some WR2 upside weeks is very achievable from that group. Put four names from that list together with an OBJ or Green and a dart throw or two later on, and I think you'd be solidly mid-pack in WR scoring, at a really low draft capital cost. I might try something like that come PDSL time to test the theory ...

Mr. Irrelevant said:

I guess I would be interested to see how a team would do in these 16 team start 3 formats with only (1) WR through 6 rounds....that would be pretty ballsy....

Stinkin Ref said:
Not to dwell on Maclin, but I think his injuries and Flacco missing the preseason and that being his first year in Baltimore really hindered him.  Talent - check, Relatively young - check, Pedigree - check.  Just seems like one of those guys who can throw up a 60-800-6 season and at the end of the season you say why didn't I draft him?

Not to dwell on Maclin, but I think his injuries and Flacco missing the preseason and that being his first year in Baltimore really hindered him.  Talent - check, Relatively young - check, Pedigree - check.  Just seems like one of those guys who can throw up a 60-800-6 season and at the end of the season you say why didn't I draft him?
Meh...Maclin game has fallen off a cliff....good chance he gets cut...I disagree with with the first two checks...he seems to be playing older than he is IMO....not sure what pedigree means at this point....I’ll take the under

Meh...Maclin game has fallen off a cliff....good chance he gets cut...I disagree with with the first two checks...he seems to be playing older than he is IMO....not sure what pedigree means at this point....I’ll take the under
Pedigree means nothing at this point. Talent does. I've been a big Maclin fan since his time at Mizzou but he seems to have fallen apart. He's been below 45 yards per game the last two years. I thought he'd bounce back in 17, now I don't think he's got it. But I kinda hope I'm wrong (don't own him anywhere but still would like to see him succeed)

Pedigree means nothing at this point. Talent does. I've been a big Maclin fan since his time at Mizzou but he seems to have fallen apart. He's been below 45 yards per game the last two years. I thought he'd bounce back in 17, now I don't think he's got it. But I kinda hope I'm wrong (don't own him anywhere but still would like to see him succeed)
Im with ya...I grew up in Missouri long time Tigers fan and liked Maclin too...so I’m not hating on him, he may bounce back and put up some decent numbers but just not sure he avoids getting cut and his game seems to have slowed a touch....

Im with ya...I grew up in Missouri long time Tigers fan and liked Maclin too...so I’m not hating on him, he may bounce back and put up some decent numbers but just not sure he avoids getting cut and his game seems to have slowed a touch....
It's funny. As the name implies I spent some time in Kansas, graduated from KU law in 06. We disliked Mizzou. But for whatever reason I actually liked Maclin. 

So like the year chambers came back to life and won people the league from the late rounds?  May have been Heartline but some fins wr most wrote off

This draft was a totally by the seat of the pants draft for me. I generally either have a hand-written list of players that I want to target or else make an excel file with previous year stats to use as a baseline. For this draft, I had neither. I also love to track all drafts with the Draft Dominator, but did not have time to set it up before leaving for vacation just as this draft kicked off.

QBs – Alex Smith WSH 6.9 & Josh Darnold Rookie 12.9

I am probably out on a limb, but I see Alex Smith maintaining Cousin’s production in Washington. Cousins ranked 5th and 5th the past two seasons in Footballguys.com standard scoring, so I see Alex Smith as a great value pick for 2018. In this league I drafted him as QB 17 and I will likely be taking him often in that spot. I rank Darnold as one of the top rookie QBs and with the abundant needs at that position, I see him starting early, possibly in week one. I did not like having only Smith and a rookie, but wound up adding depth at wide receiver and tight end with my last three selections. As I stated in the thread, I was going to pair Darnold with Rosen, but missed out on that opportunity. I also considered Sam Bradford late, but opted for the three receivers.

RBs – Mark Ingram NO 2.9, Jerick McKinnon FA 7.8, James White NE 9.8, Rashad Penny Rookie 11.8 & Kalen Ballage Rookie 16.9

I have become a big fan of Ingram the past four seasons. Early on, it looked like he was not going to make it in New Orleans, but he has finished 15th, 15th (both in injury shortened seasons and then 10th and 6th in non-ppr and close to the same in ppr. Bargain there. I definitely took McKinnon earlier than I had to (not much prep, but lots of fun in South Florida). I do like his opportunities as a solid receiving back. My general strategy for running backs is wait for bargains and then focus on solid pass catching backs. I like McKinnon and James White as those solid receivers. Then I added two rookies, who I like quite a bit, Rashad Penny and Kalen Ballage. Not my best position, but hopefully Ingram will be steady and the others will post several outstanding weeks to keep my afloat.

WRs – DeAndre Hopkins HOU 1.8, Brandin Cooks NE 3.8, Nelson Agholor PHI 5.8, Paul Richardson FA 8.9, Courtland Sutton Rookie 10.9, Christian Kirk Rookie 18.9 and D. J. Chark Rookie 19.8

I generally focus early on wide receivers and I did that again here. My top two should score most weeks and the next two I believe are value picks for 2018. I might have selected Agholor a little early, but the Eagles had him heavily involved down the stretch run and that worked out well. Richardson seems like he was under-utilized in Seattle and hope he will get more chances in 2018 after Free Agency. I took an abnormally high number of rookies, with three being taken at WR late. I do particularly like Sutton and Kirk, who seemed to last much longer than he should have. Chark might should have been my third QB and I actually took him with Rosen still available. I do like having 7 WRs, but we’ll have to see how he works out opposed to having Rosen. May regret that one.

TEs – Delanie Walker TEN 4.9, Trey Burton FA 15.8 & Mike Gesicki Rookie 20.9

Tight ends are critical in these leagues with the two ppr scoring. Walker has been tremendous for Tennessee for the past five seasons and I hope he has another banner year before he gets old. Trey Burton is a free agent that I see signing somewhere to start. He is capable of a top fifteen TE season. Gesicki is a late rookie wild card that could produce in his first season.

PK – Will Lutz NO 13.8

Only one kicker. Lately, the multiple team kicker changes through the season make selecting PKs a difficult challenge this early. I realize that sounds a little backward but what I am trying to say is that even apparently solid PKs can lose their job so I will risk having some zeroes here to build depth elsewhere. Looking closer, maybe the Saints PK was not the best choice to go solo due to his coach's history.

DSTs – Chargers 14.9 & Raiders 17.8

Chargers seem to have very active rushers and that usually helps the defense get turnovers. The Raiders have disappointed on the defensive side but seem to have some talent more than Mack and I hope the new coaching staff gets much better results out of them.

Because of the quantity of rookies, some of them are going to have to produce for this team to have a chance to stay.

So like the year chambers came back to life and won people the league from the late rounds?  May have been Heartline but some fins wr most wrote off
Joey Galloway on tampa comes to mind, I seemed to have him in every league that one year he absolutely blew up, won me a lot of leagues that year

Users who are viewing this thread