What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (1 Viewer)

Love the write up. Makes me wish I selected “She Said, She Said” for my list.
Now that the late night (East Coast!) ebb and flow of the thread is upon is, I'd like just acknowledge this and say thank you. In a thread full of great write-ups, this is high praise and a nice compliment to have gotten. Thanks, Doc Oc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Comments on the 6 of mine that have been revealed so far......

"I'm Looking Through You": This one has grown on me over the years. As a teenager and young adult, I was more into the flashy side of the late 60s Beatles - especially the psychedelic stuff. But somewhere along the line my tastes have changed, or at least become more fluid. This song, to me, is just about Apex-Beatles. And it's pretty obvious to me that Paul's biggest influence in writing vocal melodies is Smokey Robinson. Not that Smokey would have written these lyrics or arranged the tune this way, but the way that the words are strung together is definitely like a Miracles record. If you count the human voice as a musical instrument, I'm not sure the Beatles laid down a better musical track than this.

"No Reply": I wanted to cover as many sides of the early Beatles (my favorite period nowadays) as I could in my Top 25. This one has everything the band was great at on mid-tempo love songs. There's an urgency to it, but also a floating quality about this record I always loved.

"Do You Want To Know A Secret": The Beatles cross Johnny Mathis off of their bucket list.  My mom was born in 1943 and was a huge rock-and-roll fan after Elvis hit big (though I think Little Richard may have been a bridge too far for her). She had Elvis sneakers, for god's sake (which she ruined cutting grass with an engineless mower). Anyway, she told me that most of the rock fans she knew also were buying Mathis records (and Perry Como and Dinah Shore and...pick an MOR artist from the '50s). It wasn't all-rebellion-all-the-time - a retcon by Boomer music writers in the 60s & 70s. Kids (& me) then, before, and after also love smooth voices singing about love and wanting to shuffle around a dance floor holding someone tight. The Beatles understood this (10,000 bar gigs will ten to do that) and they, unlike most of the Invasion bands, had the chops to pull it off. I wonder if Johnny Mathis ever covered this one.

"Fixing A Hole": I just love the melody. I don't really care what Paul thought he was singing about (this is true for me with most every artist's songs, but especially with Paul's). 

"Boys": I wrote about this in either this thread or the sign-up thread. I don't have much to add except that I can't imagine 4 youngsters sounding like they are having more fun than the Beatles did on this one. You can hear them getting more and more lost in the groove they are making as the song goes on until - towards the end - it's like they are communicating in a whole different language. There are very few artists I can think of that can pull that off without it sounding forced (Elvis & Otis are the two biggies).

"She's Leaving Home": There are times when I wish this remarkable piece of music was 60 minutes long. The melody, the Greek Chorus, the sway. I'm not smart enough to describe what they've done here musically. I just know I could listen to it all day long.

The Beatles put together a series of promo videos for this one that were…interesting.  Such as the one with hula dancers at the end:  https://vimeo.com/436562046

Or the one in their Sgt. Pepper’s uniforms – wtf is John doing :lol:  https://vimeo.com/269302327

Those videos make me enjoy the song more.
I love the "Maori Finale", never knew it had a nickname. I have seen another one in their everyday clothes labeled outtakes but it's got an annoying Revolver TV logo plastered over it so not worth posting. The wtf is John doing version is way more fun anyway.

:lmao:

I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
2022 Ranking: 60
2022 Lists: 13
2022 Points: 122
Ranked Highest by: @Murph (6) @jamny (6) @Pip's Invitation (7) @zamboni (7) @shuke (15)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 72/4/34

Getz comments:  Getting to the point where it's going to be hard to @ everyone in every song that voted. Very solid increase from 2019 on the amount of voters and points. Hope this makes my 64 list.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  75

2019 write-up:

I Want You (She's So Heavy) (Abbey Road, 1969)

This is the prime example in Beatledom of a song I admire more than love.  If I were to do a list of "best" songs, this would probably be in the top five.  I think everything about it is brilliant, especially the bass lines.  I also think that, among all the Beatles catalogue, this song is the one that could most likely fit right into music today.  Not saying it's a single that [insert name of popular singer right now since I am old and have no clue] would release it, but it could slide right into alternative rock.  It's just that, if I'm going to listen to Beatles music, there are 54-94 songs I'll probably put on first.

I don't feel like I'm going to do this song justice in my write-up, so I'm hoping that someone who has it in their top 10 can step in and talk about it instead.  This is my friend Jane's favorite Beatles song; maybe I should ask her.   

Mr. krista:  "It’s a really good song that reminds me of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins's 'I Put a Spell on You.'  [Sings.]  Paul McCartney’s bass line is the rock star in there.  The song is such a dirge.  [Sings bass line and plays air bass.]  I like the Moog freak-out at the end.  I had a Moog app for a while and thought I could make noise music.  I couldn’t."

Suggested covers:  This makes sense:  Flaming Lips This makes less sense:  Sarah Vaughan  Thanks, munga!:  Umphrey's McGee

2022 Supplement:  Hey!  Here’s one where I really fell down on the job in 2019, so I have a chance for redemption.

This song, like many from this time, was a love song for Yoko.  John wanted to see how far he could go in expressing himself with an economy of words:  “In 'She's So Heavy,' I just sang, 'I want you, I want you so bad, she's so heavy, I want you,' like that.”  He described his ultimate goal as writing a “perfect” song using only one word; Yoko had made this drawing in 1964 that contained only one word:  https://www.moma.org/collection/works/127491

The sound of this song is among the heaviest the Beatles ever recorded, with layers and layers of overdubs and use of a variety of new playthings, including the Moog synthesizer, to give the massive sound that the band wanted.  John’s desperate, increasingly distressed vocal flows perfectly from whisper to scream, with the tempo changes to match, and the punctuation of his lines with the guitar imitation of the vocal is brilliant.  Other standouts to me are Paul’s wandering bassline and Ringo’s unusually heavy and deranged drumming.  The ending might be a “love or hate,” but I love it.  At that point John has worked the band (and the listeners) into such a frenzy that the abrupt silence seems perfect.  Geoff Emerick has said that he thought it was going to fade out, but “suddenly John told me, 'Cut the tape.’ I was apprehensive at first: We'd never done anything like that. 'Cut the tape?' But he was insistent, and he wound up being right.”

We got a bit of rehearsal of this song in the Get Back documentary:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjxNCYgahA  and a longer audio-only version of an early, funkier jam session of the song can be found here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00yc9deNrL0

Guido Merkins

By 1969 John was totally in love with Yoko.  Like it or not, most of the material he was cranking out, had to do with his relationship with Yoko.  One of those is I Want You (She’s So Heavy) which closes out side one of the Abbey Road album.

The song is unusual for several reasons.  It’s length, almost 8 minutes.  The minimalist lyrics.  The time signature changes.  The laid back sections of I Want You contrasted with the shouting of the She’s So Heavy sections.  That one section of I want you that almost goes into a Latin rhythm.  And while most people try to avoid white noise on a record, John asked for it and got it, louder and louder at the end until you can’t stand it anymore, then it just cuts off abruptly.  When I first got the cassette I thought it was defective.

I Want You(She’s So Heavy) is another of those songs you can play with joy to people who call the Beatles “not rock” or “bubblegum.”  It’s an extremely heavy record that predates even Black Sabbath by a few months.  Also notable is Ringo’s drumming and Paul’s bass runs which is in between verses.
My rank: 7

If you’ve been tracking my Led Zeppelin rankings, you’d know I love the epic stuff, so of course this song is going to be high on my list. It’s both heavy and fluid, minimalist and technical. The guitars are the biggest selling point for me, but I love everything about it. Even the white noise and tape cut at the end. 

I have seen this live twice, by 2 bands you’d think were quite disparate, Umphrey’s McGee and Ambrosia. But remember that Ambrosia began their career as a prog band.

Oh! Darling
2022 Ranking: 59
2022 Lists: 10
2022 Points: 129
Ranked Highest by: @Wrighteous Ray (6) @FairWarning @ManOfSteelhead (7) @Dr. Octopus (9) @turnjose7 (14) @pecorino (14) @Westerberg (16) @PIK95 (19) @shuke (19) @zamboni (20)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 73/3/32

Getz comments:  Last song with 10 voters. Two more with 12, and then it’s 13+. Shuke with a 3-peat!

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  77

2019 write-up:

Oh! Darling (Abbey Road, 1969)

Paul was so determined to do this in a throwback style that he had Geoff Emerick record this with 50s-style tape echo and tracked his vocal directly from the speakers (rather than through headphones) to get a "live audience" quality.  The story behind the recording is equal parts sweet and sad.  Paul would come into the studio every day before the other Beatles arrived in order to record this vocal.  Day after day (alone on a hill?), he'd record a shredding version, and, according to Emerick, George Martin "would frequently announce triumphantly, 'That's it; that's the one,' but Paul would overrule him, saying 'No, it's not there yet; let's try again tomorrow."  Paul just couldn't quite get it to match what he had in his head that he wanted to hear.  But unlike prior songs, he would never sing it in front of the others, nor did he play any recordings of it to seek their input, perhaps because at that point he didn't want to hear their negative remarks.  It tells us how bad the vibe was among the band at that point, and I hate picturing Paul on his own trying over and over to get this perfect, though I admire how dedicated he was to getting it just right.  Such a contrast to the sessions for "This Boy," where you can hear Paul encouraging John that he can get that solo right.

Despite the sorta sad circumstances, he delivered, though.  Maybe he wasn't used to these blistering vocals by this time - it was a long time after his "Kansas City" or "Long Tall Sally" days - but he pulled it off.  Even John complimented this song, though he let it be known he wished he could have done that vocal instead and that he would have done it better as it was more in his style.

Mr. krista:  "It’s very very good.  Very heavy.  Good heavy blues doo-*** stuff.  The breakdown…[sings the doodoodoo]…is in a lot of rock songs.  Fats Domino type song.  The vocals are great.  It’s the best you ever hear Paul, really beltinit out a bit."

Suggested cover:  Florence + the Machine

2022 Supplement:  In the marathon solo sessions in which Paul worked on this song, he tried every conceivable setup – standup mic, hand mic, etc. – except that one thing he did not try was using headphones.  Instead he sang along with the backing track being played over speakers, as he wanted to imagine he was singing it to a live audience.  It’s a bit ironic, then, that he has never played this song at any of his shows.  I understand it’s outside of his range now, but I’m surprised he didn’t attempt it when his vocal cords were younger.

We were treated to an early rendition of this song in the Get Back documentary, with Paul at the piano on their last day at Twickenham while the crew is packing up the rest of the gear (song starts ~1:28):  

Guido Merkins

By 1969 Paul’s perfectionism in the studio was getting on the other Beatles nerves.  Songs like Obla-Di Obla-Da and Maxwell’s Silver Hammer had tested their patience as they went through lots of takes to get something that only Paul could hear.

So it’s not very surprising that when Paul was struggling to get a vocal sound on a new song Oh Darling, that he started coming into the studio early every morning to sing it.  Paul was looking for a certain sound and thought that he could only get it by coming in several days in a row.  Several days in a row, he’d come in, do a vocal and say “nope, that’s not it. I’ll try again tomorrow.”  Needless to say, he finally got it.

Oh Darling harkens back to Paul’s bluesier efforts on She’s A Woman and I’ve Got a Feeling.  It is an absolutely brilliant vocal performance.  Using all the tricks he had learned, the Little Richard whail, the growl, parts that are sweet and soulful.  John said in interviews that he thought Paul didn’t sing it very well and that he could have done it better.  Not sure what drug John was on when he said that because it might be Paul’s best vocal ever, at least until Maybe I’m Amazed a year later.  

My Dad once said that he loved that song, but who did the original.  I told him it was written by McCartney but I see what he meant.  It sounds very much like a New Orleans R&B song or something we call “swamp pop.”  Great Fats Domino style piano, great guitar and great drumming by Ringo, and George on bass.  What a great, soulful song.
Interesting that we have what may be Paul’s best vocal and what may be John’s best vocal within 2 picks of each other.

Paul’s vocal is the definite highlight of this song for me. The music seems pretty straightforward. Sonically it seems like a better fit for Let It Be than Abbey Road.

Eight Days A Week
2022 Ranking: 58
2022 Lists: 13
2022 Points: 133
Ranked Highest by: Shaft41(Son1) (5) @landrys hat (5) @PIK95 (9) @fatguyinalittlecoat (14) @Dennis Castro (17) @whoknew (17) @Alex P Keaton (18) @Encyclopedia Brown (20) @ConstruxBoy (22) @AAABatteries (25)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 55T/6/60

Getz comments:  YT is all Shea Stadium film. I had this at #25 in 2019. 

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  74

2019 write-up:

Eight Days a Week (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

The title to this song has been varyingly attributed by Paul to being either a Ringo-ism (as in "hard day's night") or coming from a chauffeur driving Paul out to John's place who, when asked how he was, said he was working hard, eight days a week.  The song was first intended to be a potential title song for the movie that eventually became Help!, but it was relegated to this album instead once John came up with the title song, "Help!"  My favorite part of the song is also the portion that was groundbreaking at the time:  that fade-in.  It was one of the first times (or possibly the very first time) a fade-in had been used in a pop song, and I love the way it builds the excitement around the song.  Oooooo, what's happening here?  What's going to happen next?  The way the song kicks in the vocal so dynamically after the fade-in is exhilarating, and the harmonies on the bridge and the unison singing elsewhere are infectiously happy.  Love the chiming guitars at the end!  I might usually lean toward downer songs and rock songs, but I can also love a perfectly charming pop song like this.

Mr. krista:  "Eight days a week is another great phrase.  I like all of it.  I like that it fades in.  Nothing sounds like that.  That’s neat up and down."

Suggested cover:  The Dandy Warhols

2022 Supplement:  This was a truly shared work between Paul and John, with Paul coming up with the title, working together on most of the lyrics, but John taking the lead vocal.  Paul has used this song as an example of how he and John worked together so well because if one of them were stuck for a line, the other would magically be able to finish it:  “We could suggest the way out of the maze to each other, which was a very handy thing to have.  We inspired each other.”  So when Paul showed up with nothing more than the title, John was inspired to have that starting point.  Unlike in later years when they would “audition” their songs more individually, Paul and John together brought this one to the others, and within 20 minutes had taught it to them.

Love this song, and my favorite part continues to be the cool and revolutionary fade-in.  To hear it as a merely very good song, without that fade-in and lacking some of the energy of the final version, check out this earlier take that was released on the Anthology series:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0GMbqhNU

Guido Merkins

Sometimes the years can play tricks on the mind.  Paul at one time attributed Eight Days A Week to one of Ringo’s malapropisms (like Tomorrow Never Knows or A Hard Day’s Night.)  Later Paul attributed it to a chauffeur and that seems to be the correct story.

So Paul is being dropped off somewhere by a chauffeur and says something like “you working hard.”  The chauffeur says “feels like I’m working eight days a week.”  Paul loves that line and writes a song around it.  Later on, the Byrds were looking for a number for a song and liked the Beatles use of the number eight, so they called their song Eight Miles High.

Eight Days a Week is notable in that it seems to be the first time a song was faded in.  It started life with the Beatles singing “Ooooo” at the beginning (you can hear this on Anthology 1), but ended up with the guitar riff intro that they fade in which was George on the 12 string Rickenbacker (the outro is the same.)  

John was known to not like the song.  Not sure what Paul’s opinion is of it, but it is interesting that the Beatles didn’t play the song live, and that’s despite it being a #1 hit in the US.  
The fade-in is great and the arrangement seems pretty advanced for rock music in 1964. And it’s catchy as hell. They were kind of good at that. 

Twist & Shout - Performed Live On The Ed Sullivan Show 2/23/64
2022 Ranking: 57
2022 Lists: 12
2022 Points: 135
Ranked Highest by: Krista(TJ/Holly) (2) @John Maddens Lunchbox(4) @MAC_32 (5) @lardonastick(6) Krista(rob) 8 @Alex P Keaton (15) @Dwayne Hoover (22) @ManOfSteelhead (24) @wikkidpissah (24) @Dennis Castro (25)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 59T/5/51

Getz:  Just about the same rank as 2019. First song to have three Top 5 votes and five Top 10 votes.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  78

2019 write-up:

Twist and Shout (Please Please Me, 1963)

It's our last cover song!  I've probably unfairly given the covers short shrift in comparison to the other songs; I love a lot of them, but it's hard to say I love them more than Beatles originals.  Though the Beatles version of this one is based on the Isley Brothers record, the original recording of the song was actually by a band called the Top Notes.  

John's vocal on this has become legendary not just because of the quality on the record, but due to the fact that it was the last of ten songs recorded in a marathon 12+-hour in the same day!  It's nearly impossible to imagine that at this point, but the entire Please Please Me record, minus the four songs that had come out as singles, was put to tape on the same day in February 1963.  "Twist and Shout" was left as the last song to be recorded, because, according to George Martin, he knew that the larynx-shredding vocals would torture John's voice such that he'd be destroyed for anything else.  By the time they came to the song, John was sick and his vocal cords were a mess.  He sucked on some lozenges and gargled warm milk, stripped off his shirt, and hoped that the performance would be acceptable, because doing it a second time seemed impossible (in fact a second take was made, but the first one is what is on the record).  What we hear is exactly how the Beatles recorded it, with no overdubs or other editing.  It's essentially a live performance, and it's ####### extraordinary.  John's delivery is full of raucous energy and passion and sex, and the other Beatles clearly find it exhilarating as they continually raise their energy to match John's, culminating in Paul's "Hey!' and John's howling and Ringo's.

Mr. krista: "They took a rave-up and raved it the #### up. Til Lennon’s eyeballs were bleeding. Yeah, monster rock song.  One of the great rock vocal performances on record. And one of those moments where you can tell he loses himself and sings with abandon.  Mostly that kind of combustion is what I think rock bands try to achieve.  Oh, yeah, that’s worth a 700-mile drive with no sleep with no one listening except your sound guy, but that’s why you do that.  They burned the way rock bands do."

2022 Supplement:  This is a song I suspect would do even better if we did a top 64 or whatever, as I think many of us might have considered it but couldn’t spare a top 25 for a cover.  Like “Long Tall Sally,” this song was a favorite for years at the Beatles’ live performances, having first started to perform it in Hamburg in 1962 and continuing to include it in their shows through their August 1965 concert in San Francisco.  At first, they used it as a raucous closer, including during their (in)famous performance at the Royal Family’s annual variety show in 1963, when John introduced the song:  "For our last number, I'd like to ask your help. The people in the cheaper seats, clap your hands. And the rest of you, if you’d just rattle your jewelry.”  Apparently the Queen enjoyed the joke! https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a10284914/beatles-royal-variety-performance/  Later the song was shortened and made their opener, giving John’s voice a little break, but it continued to be a crowd favorite anywhere they went.  There are approximately eleventy squillion live versions of this available, so I hope Getz chooses the best one.  No pressure, buddy!

Guido Merkins

The Beatles are mostly known for songwriting.  Lennon/McCartney being the most successful songwriting team in the rock and roll era.  Harrison also grew into a top notch talent as well in that area.

So it is surprising that the Beatles are known for several of the best covers of all time.  Perhaps the best (I say perhaps to be kind, it’s the best) is an Isley Brothers song called Twist and Shout.  Twist and Shout was the Beatles show stopper for years sung by John Lennon in their Hamburg days.  But the true legend of the song starts and ends in 1963 during the one day recording of their debut album Please Please Me.

It was the end of the day and they needed another song.  Twist and Shout was suggested.  John had a cold so he struggled with his voice all day taking cough drops.  They knew they had one shot at it because the way John sang that song, plus the cold, meant his voice would probably be gone after.  So, John had a gargle with milk and off he went to sing.

The sound that remains on that record is nothing less than one of the most dazzling vocal performances of the rock and roll era.   John absolutely lets it rip and delivers a performance that feels like the earth moves.  John isn’t alone in that the other Beatles deliver a performance that barely manages to match the energy of John’s frantic vocal.  

I love the scream that Paul does out of the first vocal buildup.  I also love the audible exhale from John at the end of the song as it fades away.  

This is a top 5 vocal performance in the history of rock and roll.  For sheer power, guts, and soul it has few peers.
Not only their best cover, but IMO their high water mark until the I Feel Fine/She’s a Woman single. It’s one of the first Beatles songs I remember hearing. John’s vocal is one of the definitive examples of rock and roll singing. There is so much passion and power here.

I do think this song was hurt by the lists being only 25 entries long — too many amazing originals to reward. I think it will do better on the 64 lists. It will be on mine.

Hello, Goodbye
2022 Ranking: 56
2022 Lists: 12
2022 Points: 136
Ranked Highest by: Shaft41(Son2) (2) @Dinsy Ejotuz (10) @AAABatteries (13) @prosopis (13) @Dwayne Hoover (14) @Anarchy99 (15) @Dennis Castro (18) @Yankee23Fan (19) @Just Win Baby (24)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 62/4/48

Getz comments:  So four of the bottom ten chalkers picked this one. For me, if fell from #8 to #19, this time. 

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  141

2019 write-up:

Hello, Goodbye (single, 1967)

Paul's song about duality, and he said, unsurprisingly, that it was meant to advocate for the positive side of duality.  Sunny, cheery Paul.  He even used "ebony ivory" as one of the dualities in an interview about the song.  Hmmmm...ebony and ivory...where have I heard that?  

My favorite parts of this song are the violas and the coda, which was nicknamed the "Maori Finale."  Overall the song all feels too slight for my taste, and despite Paul trying to make a substantive statement with the lyrics they fall flat for me.  I don't have much to say about this one - nice melody and an interesting ending, but not enough to get ranked higher.

Mr. krista:  "It’s a good song that seems totally trivial. I mean, so cheesy."

Suggested cover:  The Cure

2022 Supplement:  According to Alistair Taylor (who worked with Brian Epstein and was called “Mr. Fixit” by the Beatles), Paul composed this on a harmonium, instructing Taylor to sit at the other end and hit a note while Paul did the same, and then when Paul shouted a word he was to shout the opposite.  I treat some of Taylor’s stories with suspicion, but this one seems about right for Paul.

Even with the duality being front and center in the lyrics, for some reason this song was called “Hello Hello” through its first 16 takes, including this one, which was later released in the Anthology series:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3TMKw7A-c

The Beatles put together a series of promo videos for this one that were…interesting.  Such as the one with hula dancers at the end:  https://vimeo.com/436562046

Or the one in their Sgt. Pepper’s uniforms – wtf is John doing :lol:  https://vimeo.com/269302327

Those videos make me enjoy the song more.  Pretty fun.  Still wouldn’t rank it any higher, though.

Guido Merkins

Songs don’t always have to be meaningful and deep.  Sometimes they can just sound good.  Someone asked Paul about how he writes songs and Paul, as an example said, say the opposite of what I say.  So, high became low.  Yes became no.  Stop became go.  And hello became goodbye.

Hence was born another #1 single.  Hello Goodbye is a great sounding track.  Love the guitar and the bass and, of course Ringo.  Great vocal.  The best part is the ending with the “Heba…heba hello.”  It reminds me of Ticket to Ride where they go off into another universe at the end.  Paul tells the story of the ending as they did it and it wasn’t quite right, then he had the engineer put full echo on Ringo’s tom toms and it came alive.

As far as the video, it’s also one of my favorite of their promotional videos.  They pulled out the Spt Pepper costumes and mime the song.  It shows them at different times in regular clothes, the Sgt Pepper clothes and even dressed in the old colarless jackets waving like the young Beatles.  There are hula dancers and at the end we see the Beatles dancing with the hula girls, John especially mugging for the camera and doing and exaggerated twist.  The funniest part, IMO, is Ringo’s comically small drum kit.  Great video.  Always entertaining.
Great coda and probably the best use of viola in rock. It’s an attention grabber every time it comes on the radio. I’ve always loved the “wa wa wa wa wa wa, do you say, goodbye, goodbye” part.

4.   If I Needed Someone (76)

9.  Oh, Darling (59)

23.   She's Leaving Home (63)

25.   I Want You (She's So Heavy) (60)

I have a few entries already for the Guess The Final 15 Contest.

If you send one in today and you pick one of the five songs I'm going to post today, I will out you in this thread I'll PM you right back to make a change. 

I expect a list from @krista4 and @Guido Merkins also!!

Getzlaf15 said:
I have a few entries already for the Guess The Final 15 Contest.

If you send one in today and you pick one of the five songs I'm going to post today, I will out you in this thread I'll PM you right back to make a change. 

I expect a list from @krista4 and @Guido Merkins also!!
Nah, I sent in too many from friends and family for it to be fair for me to send a list.

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
2022 Ranking: 55
2022 Lists: 14
2022 Points: 139
Ranked Highest by: @whoknew(7) @Wrighteous Ray(hub)(9) @Yankee23Fan (10) @DocHolliday(11) @lardonastick (16) @Ilov80s (18) @JustWinBrady (18) @ConstruxBoy (21) @John Maddens Lunchbox (24) @heckmanm(24)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 36/7/106

Getz comments: The first of three songs today that take a pretty decent hit from 2019 in the rankings. Despite getting seven more votes and 33 more points.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  62

2019 write-up:

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

This is a song that used to be a "skip" for me most of the time; once I had the benefit of being forced to listen to it for this project it just kept growing on me.  I think what's turned me off in the past is mostly John's vocal on it, and I'm still not a huge fan of the tone of it, though I like the mellow dreaminess.  But I love the dreamy quality of the song as a whole, love the bass line, love the drum part that kicks everything up a notch into the chorus, and love the 6/8 to 4/4 and back tempo changes between the verses and chorus.  More than anything else, love that Mellotron opening.  Some of the lyrics are nonsense, but somehow they still paint a vivid picture for me.  And I'm not even taking LSD at the moment!

The belief that the song was about LSD caused it to be banned by the BBC, but John has insisted (and is backed up by Paul) that this was not about LSD and instead is based on this drawing that Julian did of his friend Lucy O'Donnell.  When John asked what the drawing was, Julian said was "Lucy in the sky with diamonds."  John also has said that the imagery was inspired by Alice in Wonderland, though Paul recalls bouncing psychedelic phrases off each other at John's house.  The line "plasticine porters with looking glass ties" appears to have come from The Goon Show, which John loved.

Fun fact:  Probably the only song to have 3.2-million-year-old skeletal remains named after it.

Mr. krista: "I like how it started with descending, falling down a staircase, Alice in Wonderland stuff going into psychedelic, like every teenager’s introduction into fantasy or surreality, suspending disbelief.  Wish the record had started out with this song; it’s sort of playful but there’s a real menace as well, much like Lewis Carroll’s work.  It’s also disorienting and impossible."

Suggested covers:  Elton John  Black Crowes  Bono & Secret Machines  And, of course, we can't talk about the song without this classic:  William Shatner

2022 Supplement:  I still struggle with this song sometimes and should have knocked it down a bit on my 2019 rankings.  Everything I loved about it then I still do, except the dreamy quality, which is I think where my ambivalence lies.  Sometimes it’s just a bit too much psychedelia for me.  Never having dropped acid must have its downsides.

Lucy Vodden, the childhood friend of Julian Lennon about whom he drew the picture, died of lupus in 2009.  A few months later, Julian released a tribute song, “Lucy,” with a portion of the proceeds going to two lupus-related charities:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoW4EFQZf0 Love me some Julian.  Say what you will about John’s abilities as a father to Julian, but he sure did end up with an outstanding son.  Two of them, actually, as Sean is by all accounts a fantastic person as well.

Guido Merkins

John really disliked people trying to read things into his lyrics.  Case in point, one day Julian comes home from school with a drawing of a girl floating in the clouds surrounded by stars.  John asked what it was, Julian said “Lucy in the sky with diamonds.”  Lucy was one of Julian;s classmates.  John thought it was beautiful and writes a song around it.  The record comes out and somebody notices that the letter spell LSD.  I’ve seen pictures of the drawing and Lucy was a real person, she died a few years back and Julian talked about it.  John wrote plenty of acid songs and usually admitted it, but was adamant that Lucy was not an acid song.

John was into Lewis Carroll and the song is inspired by Alice In Wonderland.  The lyrics are surreal.  Newspaper Taxis, Plasticine Porters, Looking glass ties, tangerine trees, marmalade skies are just some of the images in the song.

The song is interesting in that the verses are in ¾ time and the chorus is in 4/4 time.  Paul’s bass part is almost the lead instrument along with the organ.  George plays a great guitar part though a Leslie speaker.  Ringo coming in on the 4/4 chorus is also a highlight.  Lennon’s vocal is just stunning.  This is another song that is slightly different in mono and in stereo.  The mono version has some flutter on Lennon’s lead vocal.

Lennon was having issues coming up with material, but Lucy is so spectacular that people forget about that.  It’s definitely one of the highlights on Pepper.

Pip's Invitation said:
Not only their best cover, but IMO their high water mark until the I Feel Fine/She’s a Woman single. It’s one of the first Beatles songs I remember hearing. John’s vocal is one of the definitive examples of rock and roll singing. There is so much passion and power here.

I do think this song was hurt by the lists being only 25 entries long — too many amazing originals to reward. I think it will do better on the 64 lists. It will be on mine.
I understand why others pivoted because it's a cover, but it had no bearing on where I slotted it. The bolded is why this was a no brainer top 10 before figuring the rest out. I didn't expect top 5, but that's how the cards shook out in February. I think if I re-did this now it'd be closer to 10 than 5, but due to absorbing and re-familiarizing myself with more of their other work and not this track itself. This track was, is, and always will be legendary.

5 Twist & Shout (57)

6 I'm Down (97)

12 Glass Onion (86)

13 Within You Without You (103)

17 Martha My Dear (132)

18 I Want You She's So Heavy (60)

19 Love You To (161)

20 Good Morning Good Morning (113)

22 Lady Madonna (77)

Ranked Highest by: @whoknew(7) @Wrighteous Ray(hub)(9) @Yankee23Fan (10) @DocHolliday(11) @lardonastick (16) @Ilov80s (18) @JustWinBrady (18) @ConstruxBoy (21) @John Maddens Lunchbox (24) @heckmanm(24)

Getz comments: The first of three songs today that take a pretty decent hit from 2019 in the rankings. Despite getting seven more votes and 33 more points.

Krista4

2019 write-up:

This is a song that used to be a "skip" for me most of the time; once I had the benefit of being forced to listen to it for this project it just kept growing on me.  I think what's turned me off in the past is mostly John's vocal on it, and I'm still not a huge fan of the tone of it, though I like the mellow dreaminess.  But I love the dreamy quality of the song as a whole, love the bass line, love the drum part that kicks everything up a notch into the chorus, and love the 6/8 to 4/4 and back tempo changes between the verses and chorus.  More than anything else, love that Mellotron opening.  Some of the lyrics are nonsense, but somehow they still paint a vivid picture for me.  And I'm not even taking LSD at the moment!

The belief that the song was about LSD caused it to be banned by the BBC, but John has insisted (and is backed up by Paul) that this was not about LSD and instead is based on this drawing that Julian did of his friend Lucy O'Donnell.  When John asked what the drawing was, Julian said was "Lucy in the sky with diamonds."  John also has said that the imagery was inspired by Alice in Wonderland, though Paul recalls bouncing psychedelic phrases off each other at John's house.  The line "plasticine porters with looking glass ties" appears to have come from The Goon Show, which John loved.

Fun fact:  Probably the only song to have 3.2-million-year-old skeletal remains named after it.

Mr. krista: "I like how it started with descending, falling down a staircase, Alice in Wonderland stuff going into psychedelic, like every teenager’s introduction into fantasy or surreality, suspending disbelief.  Wish the record had started out with this song; it’s sort of playful but there’s a real menace as well, much like Lewis Carroll’s work.  It’s also disorienting and impossible."

Suggested covers:  Elton John  Black Crowes  Bono & Secret Machines  And, of course, we can't talk about the song without this classic:  William Shatner

2022 Supplement:  I still struggle with this song sometimes and should have knocked it down a bit on my 2019 rankings.  Everything I loved about it then I still do, except the dreamy quality, which is I think where my ambivalence lies.  Sometimes it’s just a bit too much psychedelia for me.  Never having dropped acid must have its downsides.

Lucy Vodden, the childhood friend of Julian Lennon about whom he drew the picture, died of lupus in 2009.  A few months later, Julian released a tribute song, “Lucy,” with a portion of the proceeds going to two lupus-related charities:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoW4EFQZf0 Love me some Julian.  Say what you will about John’s abilities as a father to Julian, but he sure did end up with an outstanding son.  Two of them, actually, as Sean is by all accounts a fantastic person as well.

Guido Merkins

John really disliked people trying to read things into his lyrics.  Case in point, one day Julian comes home from school with a drawing of a girl floating in the clouds surrounded by stars.  John asked what it was, Julian said “Lucy in the sky with diamonds.”  Lucy was one of Julian;s classmates.  John thought it was beautiful and writes a song around it.  The record comes out and somebody notices that the letter spell LSD.  I’ve seen pictures of the drawing and Lucy was a real person, she died a few years back and Julian talked about it.  John wrote plenty of acid songs and usually admitted it, but was adamant that Lucy was not an acid song.

John was into Lewis Carroll and the song is inspired by Alice In Wonderland.  The lyrics are surreal.  Newspaper Taxis, Plasticine Porters, Looking glass ties, tangerine trees, marmalade skies are just some of the images in the song.

The song is interesting in that the verses are in ¾ time and the chorus is in 4/4 time.  Paul’s bass part is almost the lead instrument along with the organ.  George plays a great guitar part though a Leslie speaker.  Ringo coming in on the 4/4 chorus is also a highlight.  Lennon’s vocal is just stunning.  This is another song that is slightly different in mono and in stereo.  The mono version has some flutter on Lennon’s lead vocal.

Lennon was having issues coming up with material, but Lucy is so spectacular that people forget about that.  It’s definitely one of the highlights on Pepper.
This is a song that seems more "important" than enjoyable to me. I wouldn't skip it while listening to Peppers but it's not a song I would seek out individually or add to a playlist (even one strictly limited to the Beatles).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a song that seems more "important" than enjoyable to me. I wouldn't skip it while listening to Pepper's but it's not a song I would seek out individually or add to a playlist (even one strictly limited to the Beatles).
Aptly put - I never skip it when listening to Pepper's, but I rarely don't skip it if it comes up on shuffle and never seek it out on its own.

This is a song that seems more "important" than enjoyable to me. I wouldn't skip it while listening to Peppers but it's not a song I would seek out individually or add to a playlist (even one strictly limited to the Beatles).
So this is kinda backed up by it being on 14 lists, but with zero Top 5 and only three Top 10.

It's not going to make my Top 64, but I won't skip it if it comes up also.

I ranked Lucy in the Sky high.  

This has always been a favorite of mine.   I love the dreamy, psychedelic music and lyrics and the lyrics put such vivid beauty images in my head.  More so than most songs.   The song is simple but well constructed with great harmonies in the chorus and lovely transitions from chorus to verses which are very different from the transition from verse to chorus.   It doesn’t get more abrupt than everything stopping, a few drum beats, and then the chorus.   Throw in the switch from 3/4 time to 4/4 time.  Just cool.   Definitely a Beatles classic for a reason.   

Getzlaf15 said:
Article V) Prizes:
The winner will have Krista and her mom donate in your name to the World Central Kitchen.  Final amount will be posted in the thread. Additional prize donors are more than welcome to contribute!

I thought I was adding on to someone else's prize money when I said this.  If not, it doesn't seem fair not to let the winner choose his/her own charity.  So I'll do a donation to wherever the winner wants, and my Mom can do the WCK donation.  :)  

Krista4

2019 write-up:

Guido Merkins

I don’t autoskip anything except Wild Honey Pie. Although I was shuffling this morning, most often I pick an album or a Super Deluxe to listen straight through. Of the latter I find the 50th anniversary edition of Pepper to be the least interesting.

Probably just familiarity thing. I used to blindly accept rock critics (esp. RS) declaration SPLHCB was the first concept album and the apex of Beatles creativity. A) Highway 61 Revisited & Pet Sounds preceded it, and B) it’s a good record it’s more like 4th/5th/6th of the 11 to rank (MMT & YS were really half albums.)

Anyway, I dig Lucy. Have always loved John’s imagery. Songs don’t always have to be about something to appreciate them. Had it at #62 & could probably rank it higher.

All You Need Is Love
2022 Ranking: 54
2022 Lists: 15
2022 Points: 141
Ranked Highest by: @John Maddens Lunchbox (5) @Dinsy Ejotuz (6) @whoknew (8) @prosopis (9) @ProstheticRGK (13) @Tom Hagen (18) @ekbeats (18) @Just Win Baby (19) @Alex P Keaton (23) @BobbyLayne (24) @ConstruxBoy (25)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 48/7/78

Getz comments:  Five of the Bottom 10 Chalk list selected this one. And down goes Bobby Layne, leaving Krista4 as the only one without a song posted so far. I had this at #20 in 2019. Just could not find room for it on the 2022 list. Enjoyed the Elvis cover. The Echo cover was eckkk.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  43

2019 write-up: 

All You Need Is Love (single, 1967)

From @OrtonToOlsen:  "Love the lyrics and vocals but the ‘bun duh dunna dun’ really detracts from everything else."  For once, I agree with him on something (other than cats)!  I realize I've gone on and on about John's vocal in a variety of songs, but for some reason this is my favorite vocal from him.  It's not flashy or difficult like "Twist & Shout" or some of the others, but the tone in his singing here does it for me.  His voice sounds sleepy but sincere, and incredibly fluid and hypnotic; it almost feels like a lullaby to me, and I'm entranced by it.  The lyrics are lovely; Ringo summed them up as, "It was for love and bloody peace.  It was a fabulous time.  I even get excited now when I realize that's what it was for:  Peace and love, people putting flowers in guns."  [Requisite photo of dorky t-shirt I own.]  What I don't like in the song, and I dislike it enough to take this from a top 20 down to here, is the simplistic chorus and especially the "bun duh dunna dun."  It sounds cheesy, circus-y, and brings the song down.

Setting that aside, there's so much else to love, including the impressive production that I'll cover below.  With respect to the song itself, I love to try to keep time through the frequent tempo changes and especially love tapping out those alternating 4/4, 3/4 beats in the intro and the verses.  There's something about that dropped note that's charming; I'm just glad I wasn't Ringo.   I'm also a huge fan of Fifth Beatle George Martin's arrangement on this; starting with La Marseillaise (French national anthem) to open, through the coda with, among others, snippets of "Greensleeves" and "In the Mood," along with a bit of one of the Brandenburg concertos, the orchestration is outstanding.  Speaking of that coda, I love the sonic cornucopiaTM of it.  

While I said my write-ups might be truncated for a bit, the background of this song's coming to be is too important and interesting to skip.  Might sound quaint now, but the song was written for what was a very big deal at the time:  the first live international satellite television broadcast, a BBC show called Our World.  More than 20 countries were scheduled to participate, and the Beatles were selected to represent Great Britain in the "Artistic Excellence" portion of the show, much to their...indifference.  Brian Epstein showed up to the studio during one of the Sgt. Pepper's recordings, greatly excited to announce this to the lads, but he was met with yawns.  It didn't get better for him, as, when pressed by Epstein to be more enthused, John spoke for the group by telling him, "that's what you get for committing us to doing something without asking us first."  It seemed the Beatles saw this as a violation of their desire not to perform live anymore, but John unenthusiastically agreed that he'd write a song for it.

Several weeks later, Paul casually asked John if he'd written anything yet, and realizing that they had only a couple of weeks to prepare, John got down to writing the song.  The band recorded some backing tracks, including George on a violin(!), but when it came to the vocal, John boldly declared that he would not lip-sync but instead would do the lead vocal live.  Not to be outdone, Paul then stated that he would also play the bass live, and the two of them together talked George into performing a live guitar solo as well.  Luckily for Ringo, due to technical issues of microphone seepage from the orchestra that would be playing, the drums would have to be pre-recorded, though a last-minute decision did allow him to do a live version of the snare drum roll at the beginning.  Though the backing vocals were also pre-recorded, Paul was given a live mic for the show for the ad libs you hear at the end of the song.

The night of the broadcast arrived, and in addition to the Beatles and their wives and girlfriends, a variety of friends were enlisted to sit on the floor surrounding the band while it performed, including usual suspects Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Marianne Faithfull, Keith Moon, Graham Nash, and Keith Richards.  John was visibly nervous, perhaps because he couldn't use his lyric sheet as he normally would.  The broadcasters had decided to station an additional camera in the control booth, and when the broadcast began about 40 seconds early, they nearly caught George Martin and Geoff Emerick in a Scotch toast; they had to scramble madly to hide the bottle and glasses from the camera.  Another mad dash was then made to get the pre-recorded tape spooled back to its correct spot to start the song.  But somehow, despite everything that could go wrong with a live broadcast, everyone pulled it off! As mentioned, John's vocal is astounding, despite the fact he forgot to take his chewing gum out before they started and he did flub a couple of lyrics.  The orchestra hit all its marks perfectly.  George pulled off the guitar solo he'd been so nervous about, though he did hit an off note or two starting ~1:26.   Most amazingly, there were no technical glitches with the music, but the broadcast did lose video for a few seconds.

The song was then rushed into the studio for some overdubbing in order to release the single, but not much had to be done to it.  John redid two lines of flubbed vocal, and Ringo replaced the snare roll they'd made a last-minute decision to perform live.  A "wobble" was added to the end of George's solo to mask the bad last couple of notes.  Most people might not have even realized the single version wasn't precisely the same as the version they'd watched on TV a couple of weeks prior.

(By the way, for some reason I previously had this listed under Yellow Submarine.  While it was used on that as well as Magical Mystery Tour, based on how I've listed other songs this should probably be under the "Singles, etc." category.)

Mr. krista:  "Nice job. All-star cast.  I think one needs other things – food, shelter.  Love is definitely up there.  You need love before you need, say, a Nintendo 64.  But there are other things I’d put above love. So I disagree with the lyrical premise."

Suggested covers:  Nothing can replace that John vocal for me, but if you're Elvis Costello, you can surely come close.  Surprised to like this one, but I enjoyed their incorporation of other Beatles's motifs:  Echo & the BunnymenDaniel Johnston gets to the heart of the matter.

2022 Supplement:  Good lord, do you see all those paragraphs up there?

Guido Merkins

In the summer of 1967 the Beatles were a big deal.  Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band was a phenomenon.  Like Thriller or Nevermind later on, Pepper was THE album of the moment. Everyone was grooving on it.

The Beatles were asked to represent Britain on the Our World TV broadcast which was the first show that would be broadcast all over the world via satellite.  Days before the broadcast, John said “oh yeah, I need to write something for that.”  As usual, the pressure didn’t impact the quality of the work as All You Need Is Love was the PERFECT song for that summer.

All You Need Is Love is like most of the best of Lennon’s work.  Seemingly very simple, but with a depth that was more than it seemed on the surface.  “All you need is love, love is all you need” is just about as simple a message as can exist, but of course, if you think of the ramifications of what that means, and especially if you believe in a higher power, love IS all you need.  The world revolves around love and love is what makes human beings unique.

Apart from the philosophy of the song, the song is interesting.  First, John loved songs with changing time signatures, not because he did it on purpose, but because he would write lyrics first sometimes.  4/4, 7/4, 6/4 etc.  Second, there are several musical quotations in the song.  Greensleaves, Brandenburg Concerto, In the Mood, La Marsailles, and the Beatles own She Loves You are quoted in the intro (La Marsailles) and during the fade out (everything else.)  In fact, John singing “she loves you yeah yeah yeah she loves you yeah yeah yeah” is one of the great moments, IMO, in Beatles history.

All You Need Is Love is, in many ways, the Beatles at their absolute zenith.  Sure, they would have better songs, but released only weeks after Pepper, at this point the Beatles domination of popular culture was absolute.  Just as Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane were a part of Pepper because they led the sessions, All You Need Is Love is kind of a Pepper postscript.  They could only go down from here.  Brian Epstein would die soon after, then everything would change.

Five voters just selected the last song posted from this list. 

Top 10 Least Chalk

62 --Dinsy Ejotuz---278.5

63 --Getzlaf15---266

64 --Simey---257

65 --Ted Lange as your Bartender---235

66 --Tom Hagen---216

67 --falguy---162

68 --Krista (TJ/Slug)---127

69 --Bobby Layne---119

70 --WorrierKing---98

71 --Krista4---0

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
I am much more a Paul guy than a John guy, but this performance is extraordinaryily good. 

No mention of Its use in Ferris Bueller. One of the great feel good coming of age movies and this song is used to such good effect and a great feel good moment, 
That's a good point.  Throughout from the ages of 12-15, I was that weird kid that liked the Beatles.

Ferris Bueller came out and suddenly everyone's handing me cassette tapes to make a copy.  I wonder how many kids my age in the mid 80s had Twist and Shout and Ferris Bueller as their gateway drug into the world of the Beatles.....

This is it at the bottom of the list for # of songs to have appeared...

66 --falguy---2

67 --Krista (TJ/Slug)---2

68 --Tom Hagen---2

69 --WorrierKing---1

70 --Bobby Layne---1

71 --Krista4---0

Yeah, I hid almost as soon as I posted.  I was more confused about his ranking vs. worrierking, but I get it now.

ETA:  I keep thinking higher numbers are less chalky.  Now I know how Binky feels.  Where is @Binky The Doormat, btw?
Bolded:  They are right now, but that is starting to rapidly change as the points and number of voters for each song get posted.

There are a lot that were 100-200 two days ago that are in the 500-800 point range now after having a few songs posted in the last ten.

Binky doesn't wake up for another hour.

This list is changing rapidly.  Won't be long before the Top 10 start a major free fall to the bottom.

Chalk Rankings Top 10. #54 = 119 pts. each Sponsored by: The Bottles

1 --ManOfSteelhead---1390.5

2 --anarchy99---1225

3 --Krista (Sharon)---1216.5

4 --Shaft41---1095

5 --Krista (TJ/Michael)---1085

6 --fatguyinalttlecoat---999

7 --BinkyTheDoormat---964.5

8 --Man Of Constant Sorrow---942.5

9 --OTB_Lifer---929

10 --Dwayne Hoover---890.5

11 --Wrighteous Ray(Hub)---845.5

12 --John Maddens Lunchbox---838.5

13 --FairWarning---833

14 --PIK 95---828

15 --Krista (Craig)---809

16 --Encyclopedia Brown---780.5

17 --zamboni---775.5

18 --rockaction---726.5

19 --murph---702.5

20 --Shaft41(Daughter)---699.5

21 --Shaft41(Son2)---695

22 --Krista (Rob)---693.5

23 --Krista (Worth)---689.5

24 --Oliver Humanzee---672.5

25 --Mac32---670

26 --Guido Merkins---652

27 --Krista (TJ/Alex)---629

28 --ConstruxBoy---620

29 --ProsteticRKG---585

30 --landryshat---578

31 --Dennis Castro---571.5

32 --WhoKnew---543

33 --Krista (Doug)---538

34 --DaVinci---519

35 --turnjose7---518.5

36 --Pip's Invitation---515.5

37 --shuke---514

38 --Uruk-Hai---499

39 --ekbeats---485

40 --jamny---480.5

41 --prosopis---474

42 --Wrighteous Ray---465.5

43 --Alex P Keaton---464

44 --Shaft41(Son1)---458

45 --pecorino---443

46 --Dr. Octopus---434

47 --wikkidpissah---386.5

48 --jwb---382

49 --Heckmanm---378

50 --Gr00vus---371

51 --Just Win Baby---362

52 --Neal Cassady---350

53 --Lardonastick---347

54 --AAABatteries---346

55 --Eephus---339

56 --Oliver Humanzee(Dad)---323

57 --Westerberg---320

58 --Ilov80s---313

59 --DocHolliday---306

60 --yankee23fan---305

61 --Krista (TJ/Holly)---288

63 --Getzlaf15---266

64 --Simey---257

66 --Tom Hagen---216

67 --falguy---162

69 --Bobby Layne---119

70 --WorrierKing---98

71 --Krista4---0

This list is changing rapidly.  Won't be long before the Top 10 start a major free fall to the bottom.

Chalk Rankings Top 10. #54 = 119 pts. each Sponsored by: The Bottles

1 --ManOfSteelhead---1390.5

2 --anarchy99---1225

3 --Krista (Sharon)---1216.5

4 --Shaft41---1095

5 --Krista (TJ/Michael)---1085

6 --fatguyinalttlecoat---999

7 --BinkyTheDoormat---964.5

8 --Man Of Constant Sorrow---942.5

9 --OTB_Lifer---929

10 --Dwayne Hoover---890.5

11 --Wrighteous Ray(Hub)---845.5

12 --John Maddens Lunchbox---838.5

13 --FairWarning---833

14 --PIK 95---828

15 --Krista (Craig)---809

16 --Encyclopedia Brown---780.5

17 --zamboni---775.5

18 --rockaction---726.5

19 --murph---702.5

20 --Shaft41(Daughter)---699.5

21 --Shaft41(Son2)---695

22 --Krista (Rob)---693.5

23 --Krista (Worth)---689.5

24 --Oliver Humanzee---672.5

25 --Mac32---670

26 --Guido Merkins---652

27 --Krista (TJ/Alex)---629

28 --ConstruxBoy---620

29 --ProsteticRKG---585

30 --landryshat---578

31 --Dennis Castro---571.5

32 --WhoKnew---543

33 --Krista (Doug)---538

34 --DaVinci---519

35 --turnjose7---518.5

36 --Pip's Invitation---515.5

37 --shuke---514

38 --Uruk-Hai---499

39 --ekbeats---485

40 --jamny---480.5

41 --prosopis---474

42 --Wrighteous Ray---465.5

43 --Alex P Keaton---464

44 --Shaft41(Son1)---458

45 --pecorino---443

46 --Dr. Octopus---434

47 --wikkidpissah---386.5

48 --jwb---382

49 --Heckmanm---378

50 --Gr00vus---371

51 --Just Win Baby---362

52 --Neal Cassady---350

53 --Lardonastick---347

54 --AAABatteries---346

55 --Eephus---339

56 --Oliver Humanzee(Dad)---323

57 --Westerberg---320

58 --Ilov80s---313

59 --DocHolliday---306

60 --yankee23fan---305

61 --Krista (TJ/Holly)---288

63 --Getzlaf15---266

64 --Simey---257

66 --Tom Hagen---216

67 --falguy---162

69 --Bobby Layne---119

70 --WorrierKing---98

71 --Krista4---0
middle of the road - the place I feel most comfortable.

Uruk-Hai said:
"She's Leaving Home": There are times when I wish this remarkable piece of music was 60 minutes long. The melody, the Greek Chorus, the sway. I'm not smart enough to describe what they've done here musically. I just know I could listen to it all day long.

:thumbup: yep.

Oh! Darling was my #6 song and I think it is great.  What can I say about it that hasn't already been better said by others.  I could listen to it several times in a row, and frequently have, sometimes just to focus on the many different aspects of it. 

I think Paul loved being "bluesy".   I really like the blues and have several CD's (yes, I still have a few CD's) of fabulous blues artists of the past, so I was pleasantly surprised to come across a documentary about Howlin' Wolf last night.  He was pretty fantastic.  Not only was his voice amazing, but he was also a really good guitar and harmonica player.  He was also a good business man and really made it big in the Chicago blues circuit.  In the documentary, he talks about how the blues come from folks singing about their lives, both the good and not-so-good parts, but usually the latter.  I think that is very evident in true blues music.  Although he did not write it, he sang and played the heck out of Goin' Down Slow.  In the documentary, there is a section about his kidney and heart disease and how he continued to entertain even though very ill.  The video of him singing that song is shown then, although he recorded it much earlier, and it is very moving.  

Anyway, watching this made me see ways in which Wolf, blues and the Beatles are alike.  The songs often are about what is happening in the singers' and song writers' lives.  And, Hubert Sumlin, a guitar player and long-time friend of Wolf's had these quotes about him, which again I see reflected in Beatles music:  "He made you feel things" and "His music was magic."  And I love this quote from the man himself: "I couldn't do no yodelin', so I turned to howlin'.  And it's done me just fine."  The Beatles could probably say the same about some of their best and most famous songs.

Wow, I got wordy and carried away a little.  I wonder if Krista got that trait from me!

Users who are viewing this thread