What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Kawhi introduces playoff load management (12 Viewers)

Hawks defense was embarrassing bad that quarter.

All season. They just don’t give a ****.
It appears the Atlanta Hawks and Trae Young have finally reached the "irreconcilable differences" stage of their relationship.
He just seems to not quite get the difference between putting up numbers and winning basketball. His 2 plays at the end of the half were bad last night. He gambled on defense at mid court with about 30 seconds left that led to a wide open 3 and then on their final possession he threw an unnecessary behind the back pass at the end of the clock to Murray that he couldn't catch cleanly and they didn't even get a shot off. Those plays are a microcosm of Trae's problems.
Genius move on his part. The more he looks like an overrated *******, the more likely it is Atlanta will trade him, and the lower the asking price is going to be. He is playing the long game. Or he is an overrated ******* that refuses to play defense. Hard to tell.

I like the thought of him on San Antonio. He'd make a fun duo with Wemby.
Off-season is going to be fun.

I hope so, but I have a bad feeling because we have a bad draft and bad free agency class.

Bulls @ Heat - no Butler takes the wind out of Miami's sails a bit and the Bulls would love to have a bit of a coming out party and actually make the playoffs. I think Chicago pulls it out...but culture and all that, so who knows. As a Celtics fan, "Butler-less" Miami and "Just happy to be here" Chicago don't scare me so I'd just like to see a good game.

Kings @ Pelicans - no Zion hurts New Orleans bad and the Kings looked good in their route of the Warriors. Brandon Ingram needs to show up and CJ McCollum needs to quit chucking up bricks if the Pelicans are going to have a chance here (both of those guys killed them against LA). At least they are at home and have some solid role players in Herb Jones, Trey Murphy & Alvarado. I'd like to see the Kings win because I think they can challenge OKC a little better than NOP would.

Bulls @ Heat - no Butler takes the wind out of Miami's sails a bit and the Bulls would love to have a bit of a coming out party and actually make the playoffs. I think Chicago pulls it out...but culture and all that, so who knows. As a Celtics fan, "Butler-less" Miami and "Just happy to be here" Chicago don't scare me so I'd just like to see a good game.

Kings @ Pelicans - no Zion hurts New Orleans bad and the Kings looked good in their route of the Warriors. Brandon Ingram needs to show up and CJ McCollum needs to quit chucking up bricks if the Pelicans are going to have a chance here (both of those guys killed them against LA). At least they are at home and have some solid role players in Herb Jones, Trey Murphy & Alvarado. I'd like to see the Kings win because I think they can challenge OKC a little better than NOP would.
The Kings managing to go 0-6 against a team in a year without playing said team in the playoffs would be a very Kings thing to do.

Please skip this post if you are uninterested in a Kings fan defending Sabonis's third team all NBA candidacy. But I just listened Simmons and Russilo dismiss him because he isn't one of the 15 best players in the league. I agree with that assertion as a general matter, but the dude definitely had one of the best 15 seasons in the league. Averaged 19.4/13.7 (led the league)/8.2 on efficient shooting. Most minutes and rebounds in the league and ranked 4th (4th!) in total assists as the best player on a 46 win team. There's the thought he's incapable of being on a reasonably proficient defense, but that argument has lost a lot of its force as the Kings closed the season as one of the 3 best defensive teams in the league after Huerter got replaced in the lineup. I know he has shortcomings as a player, for sure, but he's had an incredible year. /rant

He's like a poor man's Joker
Fixed... even with him having 1 more triple-double than Jokic this past season.

Dude is criminally underrated, and I'm no Kings fan.

Just joking around buddy. We were previously discussing upthread how everyone says he's a poor man's Joker.
My bad, I only drop into this thread every now and then and clearly missed that discourse.

I've started listening/watching a couple new (one new to me, one new) podcasts that I think are worth a listen.

JJ Redick and Lebron started a podcast a few weeks ago call Mind the Game Pod. We'll see how long it can go without getting stale, but through the first five episodes, which need to be watched not just listened to, it is the most informative basketball podcast I've ever watched/listened to. They breakdown the game at a reasonably high technical level more in like a coaching/strategy way rather than the typical talking heads. 10/10 and I think a total must watch for NBA fans.

Michael Porter Jr. started a podcast a couple years ago called Curious Mike. It's less of a must listen, but he does interview some people that I've found very interesting including Josh Kroenke, Jokic, Lana Rhodes, Peyton Manning, a handful of other current and former players, and some random folks. The Jokic interview is fantastic because he doesn't interact with the press, so it was a rare look at him the person. He is a surprisingly good interviewer that is more charismatic than I thought.

Please skip this post if you are uninterested in a Kings fan defending Sabonis's third team all NBA candidacy. But I just listened Simmons and Russilo dismiss him because he isn't one of the 15 best players in the league. I agree with that assertion as a general matter, but the dude definitely had one of the best 15 seasons in the league. Averaged 19.4/13.7 (led the league)/8.2 on efficient shooting. Most minutes and rebounds in the league and ranked 4th (4th!) in total assists as the best player on a 46 win team. There's the thought he's incapable of being on a reasonably proficient defense, but that argument has lost a lot of its force as the Kings closed the season as one of the 3 best defensive teams in the league after Huerter got replaced in the lineup. I know he has shortcomings as a player, for sure, but he's had an incredible year. /rant

Just joking around buddy. We were previously discussing upthread how everyone says he's a poor man's Joker.
My bad, I only drop into this thread every now and then and clearly missed that discourse.
I appreciate the timing, personally.

Updated The Ringer Top 50 NBA players (listed by playoff teams):

BOS (5): 7, 25, 39, 42, 47
OKC (3): 4, 37, 41
LAC (3): 6, 21, 38
MIN (3): 14, 27, 34
DEN (2): 1, 18
DAL (2): 2, 30
MIL: (2): 3, 26
PHI (2): 5, 32
GSW (2): 8, 50
PHO (2): 9, 11
LAL (2): 10, 12
NYK (2): 13, 44
MIA (2): 15, 23
IND (2): 17, 40
CLE (2): 19, 48
NOP (2): 20, 29
SAC (2): 22, 24
ORL (1): 33
ATL (1): 35
CHI (1): 49

Don't apologize. 75% of the posts in this thread missed 75% of prior discourse.

ESPN got their experts to pick the play ins and 6 set first round series'. Some interesting results. Is it just the homer in me that thinks the Sixers have a shot against the Knicks?

Final tally: Kings 10, Pelicans 2
Final tally: Bulls 8, Heat 3
Final tally: Nuggets 11, Lakers 0
Final tally: Timberwolves 6, Suns 4
Final tally: Mavericks 6, Clippers 4
Final tally: Knicks 10, 76ers 1
Final tally: Pacers 6, Bucks 5
Final tally: Cavaliers 7, Magic 4

Saw that Twolves are plus money as a series bet against Phoenix.....like +125 or something?

I want to hammer the HELL out of that. @Frostillicus
I don't want to jinx you guys but that seems to good to be true. OK if I plunk some wood on that?

Reactions: Zow
ESPN got their experts to pick the play ins and 6 set first round series'. Some interesting results. Is it just the homer in me that thinks the Sixers have a shot against the Knicks?

This is nutty. The Pels beat the kings without Zion by 30 already this year.

Who is 50th for the Warriors?

Hmm ya. And Pels are 2.5 point favourites (this actually shocks me, thought it would be the Kings favoured). Heat also favoured tonight by 2 which surprises me. I guess HCA.

Saw that Twolves are plus money as a series bet against Phoenix.....like +125 or something?

I don't want to jinx you guys but that seems to good to be true. OK if I plunk some wood on that?

That series gives me vibes of the first round Nets vs Celtics series a few years ago when the Celtics swept Kyrie and Durant.

Dray

Dray

They forgot another 0 at the end.

I do think that people may be over correcting a bit based on what phx did to min this regular season. Phx has to do it from the midrange which is the way to beat Rudy but also can be a tough way to live for the whole series. Certainly Phoenix has a certain schematic advantage but feels a little like the wolves are getting overlooked. :shrug:

:lmao: :lmao:

I do think that people may be over correcting a bit based on what phx did to min this regular season. Phx has to do it from the midrange which is the way to beat Rudy but also can be a tough way to live for the whole series. Certainly Phoenix has a certain schematic advantage but feels a little like the wolves are getting overlooked. :shrug:
Agreed. They finished strong to get out of the play-in but they’ve had the look of a team who’s ready to get bounced 4-1 in the first round for most of the season. I’m not buying it, I like the Wolves.

Any wagering leans tonight? Need a distraction.

Figured it out all by my lonesome! So easy!

$20 Parlay +300
CHICAGO w/ SAC

1) screw Miami. I will root against them as long as I breathe. I am the Anti-Herro.

2) @FatMax

Light the Beam for Seth.

Well, this isn't going great.
Ya, the bulls really need to shake it off and play better in the 2nd half.

Otherwise the Bulls and GM will have bad blood.

Coby White is playing like garbage.

Bulls either forcing shots they can't finish, turning it over, or missing the few open looks they get.

Hmm ya. And Pels are 2.5 point favourites (this actually shocks me, thought it would be the Kings favoured). Heat also favoured tonight by 2 which surprises me. I guess HCA.

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on SAC tonight as the Pels are terrible at home and lacking Zion. Seemed a little too good to be true so I held off. I'm also terrible at betting on individual NBA games.
Really hoping for OKC v. SAC in round 1. That should be :popcorn:

Den vs LAL, BOS vs Mia

2020 Conference Finals
2023 Conference Finals
2024 First Round

(BOS/Mia was also 2022 Conference Finals)

Boston not having to face Butler is lame.
I concur.

But either way, they better beat the crap out of them. I'm glad they get the Heat. I liked the Bulls, but they clearly are not a good team.

I kind of want the Heat to win game one because the basketball world would explode, but the Celtics need to end that series in five or less. I don't think I can survive another postseason from fringe Heat fan chanting "Heat culture, bruh"

All the numbers show BOS should win, but as discussed as nauseum, until they win people will continue to say they can’t win.

Despite the narrative that the C’s can’t perform in the clutch, they have dramatically improved in that area. In the playoffs last year, they had a -11.4 net rating in clutch situations. This year in the regular season, they were +15.4 (4th best in the league). By comparison, DEN was +10.4 in the regular season and +17.3 in the playoffs last year. The Nuggets were even better this year.

Overall, clutch situations were not nearly the issue for BOS like they were last year.

Final tally: Bulls 8, Heat 3
Final tally: Nuggets 11, Lakers 0
Final tally: Timberwolves 6, Suns 4
Final tally: Mavericks 6, Clippers 4
Final tally: Knicks 10, 76ers 1
Final tally: Pacers 6, Bucks 5
Final tally: Cavaliers 7, Magic 4

0-2 so far....

ESPN is dumb

Welp, not exactly how we drew it up, but PLAYOFF PELS engaged! Finally a home win!

We've played OKC 3 times this year, and went 1-2. 2 without B.I., and 1 with but without Zion. 2 single digit margins of victory and they blew us out in the other one. The fact that OKC has home court advantage may actually be in our favor as poorly as we've been playing at home. OKC has the better overall team (when we aren't at full strength), but we aren't going to just roll over. Just hoping for competitive games. Hoping Z may get back before series is over. Maybe if it goes 6 or 7.

I was bored, so I made a new final regular season standings including only games played by and against the 16 playoff teams. Again, this means nothing moving forward into the postseason. This includes games where stars were out injured, on load management days, before key trades were made, when a team may have had nothing to play for, etc.

BOS 29-14 .674
OKC 26-15 .634 2
MIN 25-18 .581 4
DEN 23-17 .575 4.5
IND 23-19 .548 5.5
LAL 24-20 .545 5.5
MIL 24-20 .545 5.5
PHO 20-20 .500 7.5
LAC 20-22 .476 8.5
NOP 19-23 .452 9.5
PHI 19-23 .452 9.5
ORL 18-23 .439 10