What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (16 Viewers)

"He's unquestionably the guy," Team USA coach Steve Kerr said of Edwards. "You can see he knows it. But now the team knows it, and I think the fans see it. ... He genuinely believes he's the best player in the gym every single night. And he's such a dynamic young player. I think he's taking a leap."

"He's unquestionably the guy," Team USA coach Steve Kerr said of Edwards. "You can see he knows it. But now the team knows it, and I think the fans see it. ... He genuinely believes he's the best player in the gym every single night. And he's such a dynamic young player. I think he's taking a leap."
Too bad Ant doesn't play for a winning organization or a head coach like Steve Kerr (sorry Frosty).

It's been discussed a million times, but that Gobert trade is going to go down as one of the worst transactions in NBA history. Not taking into account Ant's timeline as a championship player is just one of the many, many reasons it was a disaster.

Too bad Ant doesn't play for a winning organization or a head coach like Steve Kerr (sorry Frosty).

It's been discussed a million times, but that Gobert trade is going to go down as one of the worst transactions in NBA history. Not taking into account Ant's timeline as a championship player is just one of the many, many reasons it was a disaster.
That's certainly the popular narrative.

Harden fined $100k (the most allowed) for his comments about Morey. Sounds like the league was more upset about the “never going to play with” comments than the “liar” one.

Harden gettin way too much play. Washed up cancer
He led the league in assists last year and single handedly beat the Celtics in game 1 of the playoffs.

He still has some gas in the tank...when he wants to.
to jayhans point maybe ole poopbeard will put on his fatsuit and come in with about 10 extra gallons of tank this year which would be the most fitting end to the process take that to the bank bromigos

So for the sake of this move, the Mavs are going to save probably a little more than $1M in cap/tax this year and replace McGee with Morris. McGee may be mostly washed but he has more in the tank than Morris. It also isn't really giving them any room to work with next offseason either. Kind of a strange move, IMO.

So for the sake of this move, the Mavs are going to save probably a little more than $1M in cap/tax this year and replace McGee with Morris. McGee may be mostly washed but he has more in the tank than Morris. It also isn't really giving them any room to work with next offseason either. Kind of a strange move, IMO.
I admiitedly haven't seen much of either recently but I would rather have McGee than Morris. I think the Warriors will chase him to fill the glaring void at center depth.

I admiitedly haven't seen much of either recently but I would rather have McGee than Morris. I think the Warriors will chase him to fill the glaring void at center depth.
I could also see the Lakers going after him for their open roster spot if Wood doesn’t work out.

I haven't looked, but shouldn't it give them a little more space next offseason, at least below the tax, since McGee was signed through next year?

I haven't looked, but shouldn't it give them a little more space next offseason, at least below the tax, since McGee was signed through next year?
next year they should save like 3.5 million, though of course they add $2.3 million for each of the following 2 years. The makes a little bit of sense, though the timing seems weird just to be able to get Morris in.

next year they should save like 3.5 million, though of course they add $2.3 million for each of the following 2 years. The makes a little bit of sense, though the timing seems weird just to be able to get Morris in.
Other than they'll likely fill that roster spot with somebody, which will negate some of that savings. A one year minimum salary for a player with at least two years of experience counts at juuuust over $2M on the cap.

Other than they'll likely fill that roster spot with somebody, which will negate some of that savings. A one year minimum salary for a player with at least two years of experience counts at juuuust over $2M on the cap.
good point, though in theory it gives them a little more flexibility for next year. Maybe just a good job by his agent - checks notes - BJ Armstrong!

But the league already investigated the deal Harden signed last summer and found no evidence of shenanigans. Silver docked them 2 seconds for “tampering” in signing Tucker and House (even though literally everyone does the same thing when 35 deals are announced 5 minutes into FA every year) but it would have been far worse if they found something related to the Harden deal.

If Harden is saying Morey lied that he’d trade him this summer, well, nobody stepped up with a good enough offer.
Looks like that is exactly the case.

pretty sure he was plating under the TMLE so that space should be available regardless of who they sign as roster filler

Big win for Canada, beating the 3rd best team in the tournament by 30 points. Kelly played great of course.

Think we have a shot to lose the final by less than 20 points.

Lol at this clown screaming like a banshee during every US FT. They're up 20 and are 24-25 from the line. It's not working buddy.

The PHI fans went agains their instinct and gave Trea Turner a standing ovation instead of booing him out of the ball park about a month ago. He's batting over .350 since then and the team has gone on a tear. It would be worth getting Simmons back to hear the pro/con arguments for giving him a standing O amongst the fans.

Canada had looked so good all tourney but slipped up against Brazil. Loser of Canada-Spain on Sunday is out.

Headline should be NBA forces ref to retire so they can cover up another Ref betting scandal the league is and has been involved in for yrs. Tim Donaghey was just a tip of the iceberg of this fixed league.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38291889/nba-ends-investigation-ref-eric-lewis-retiring
That's not what this was about. Like, at all.
Exactly.

It's the BS double standard that coaches and players can criticize the refs on social media and pay a fine equivalent to pocket change but if a ref publicly defends himself, they get fired.

It happens all the way down to the HS level. I know 2 FB officials who were dismissed (1 HS, 1 college) for social media activity about games they worked.

The PHI fans went agains their instinct and gave Trea Turner a standing ovation instead of booing him out of the ball park about a month ago. He's batting over .350 since then and the team has gone on a tear. It would be worth getting Simmons back to hear the pro/con arguments for giving him a standing O amongst the fans.

People don't get Philly fandom but I also wouldn't say 76ers "fans" either. Everyone and their mother wants to be a 76ers fan when they are doing good but when this team is bad a ticket thats gonna cost me in the high rise behind the basket and media press area lower level that might cost me $85 right now I can easily get for $30. $150 court side during the tank a thon I was getting for $50. Butler's last season with Chi I got tickets behind the bulls bench with entry into the Well Fargo Cadilac Grille an exepnsive restuarant. That ticket should've been like close to $200 I got for $50 before fees.

Either way Philly fans all they want is players to try hard and win. If you aren't playing well but sucking they will acknowledge the fact you tried hard. With certain players thats hard. My Grandmom went to church with former Phillie Ryan Howard. Ryan tore his achilles and was never the same player but Ryan being a private guy people never saw his behind the scense work to try and get back to his MVP form. The achillies destroyed a lot of good power. But because of this he got booed and **** on.

Turner there's been reports of him trying all year including from the manager and teammates. Simmons issue was a lot of his "trying" was all a facade. Going into the NBA Jonathan Giovany (who numerious 76ers fans owe an apology too right now) put out in writting what lack of effort Ben Simmons had. 76ers tried playing it off oh we can fix him. Is like the NFL coach with the bad QB and teams trying to be the QB whisperer. Also the 76ers had a lot of infighting back then. If you remember The Caulder report and how Embiid's Shirley temples got famous that was in that report of Brown and Hinkie in fighting.

I went to a game before the all star break and saw behind the basket against the Kings. There was a fan behind us talking to a 76ers personel guy who sounded like he was from one of the islands in the carribean. Cool guy and my frien and I got into the convo. A few details from that day stuck with me and this was around the time Sam Hinkie turned in his resignation:

Details:
Brown told the organization he'd turn in his resignation if Hinkie were to stay. 76ers were trying to tank then to get Ben Simmons. Brown coached Ben's father when he coached in AUstralia so 76ers called his bluff and let Hinkie go as optics it'd look bad letting the famiy friend of the best draft prospect at the time go and then draft said guy.

2. 76ers asked the league for help on finding a GM because no one and their mother wanted the job. League never forced the team to fire Sam. This was just a PR move the team made to keep the fans happy. Hinkie wasn't respected around the league at all. Many thought he was immature and didn't handle dealins with other league personel in a professonal matter and many didn't wan to go to an org where such behavior was being allowed by the owner.

3. Colangelo used his team USA contacts before leaving to get a feel how players around the league felt about the 76ers and org. Found out no one trusted the org and felt if it didn't work in 2 yrs after signing they'd tank again and players didn't want to go to a org they couldn't trust to try and win multiple years. JC figured he had to sign for a disgruntled star or a player who would resign with his current team and hoped he'd extend with the 76ers. Given the 76ers supplementary of picks etc he realized this. It's wh you saw the Teague for Nerlens Noel and why eventually they got Butler and Harris as Brand continued that trend JC left. When Butler didn't extend the team was pretty mch ****ed from going after big names as players don't trust the ownership at all

4. Going back to the cualderon Brett and Hinkie had different mindsets on Coaching. Harris wanted the players to be happy and didn't want to piss off his possible stars to the point they ask for out. He wanted the org to baby players. Brett Brown comes from the Gregg Popovich tree of coaching where players aren't babied and held accountable but also understood you can't be a hard *** all the time. There was infighting on how to coach and treat players like Embiid and Ben Simmons

Details from else where

5. Brown wanted to keep Butler but Butler didn't want to stay in Philly if Ben Simmons was there. I was able to confirm this with my cousin who works for the miami heat. He said the reason MIA got Butler is because Butler liked Brown but didn't like the organizational culture and felt Ben SImmons was the center of the issues. Harris and company didn't want to do that. Butler's they chose Tobias over me comment was more in line of yeah they chose Harris over me because of my demends and not wanting to play with Ben Simmons. My cousin is from philly and a 76ers fan and has a friend from college who works with the 76ers and still does.

6. Brown was fired because of indifferences with Harris and company on coaching philosophy. One of my coworkers was Brett Brown's neighbor. He said Brown when he got let go felt relieved and wasn't going down without a fight. Brown was lied to about numerious things and players like Joel and Ben were going behind his back and complaining to Josh Harris when their feelings were hurt. .
7. Doc Rivers was brought in as players coach but from else where many felt he allowed players to walk all over him. Former CLippers such as Paul George and others have talked about this. A friend from HS who works in a talent Agency in LA and gets a lot of athlete cliantel (had Kobe Bryant a few times, amongst others) told me CLipper players use to brag how easy it was get over on Doc. 2 players did complain how Doc had zero control of the locker room and no one was ever held accountable. This happened with the 7ers as well

8. Harris wanted to move to a new arena this is all for show as he wants to move the team to Camden near the practice facility located next to the Freedom Mortgage Center AKA
Waterfront Music Pavilion, BB&T Pavilion, Susquehanna Bank Center, Tweeter Center, and the Blockbuster-Sony Music Entertainment Centre (the E-Centre) over the years so he's giving ******** ideas he knows many in Philly won't go for.

9. From what my cousin said feeling around the league is if Philly doesn't right the ship this could be Embiid's last year in Philly. The problem is the price it'd take to acquire him. No question the talent is there but orgs question his long standing health plus his will to actuall win. Some people were turned off by his constant MVP talk and felt he was more concern with personal success then wanting to be a leader on the team. They feel Joel should've been more of a leader with the Simmons fiasco and put some of the blame on him. Many feel the 76ers enabled Ben's behavior for yrs and he's been spoiled rotten for yrs.

10. James Harden no one wants at his asking price. Rumors of him going to CHI was agent drummed up 76ers trying to see if teams would bite and didn't work. Everyone sees what a cancer he is. My cousin IHHO feels like the 76ers got off easy on the Harden investigation with Rubin. Rubin was eventually going to step down but he did sooner when the league started to investigate the 76ers. Kevin Durant who is a partial owner of the Philly Union soccer club someone close to him I talked to said almost everyone on the nets knew the 76ers were talking to James illegally with Rubin. One of the reasons KD and James had a falling out was KD felt James wasn't truthful about his matters and others on the team felt that. Cousin told me had Rubin stayed what he heard is the team would've lost multipke first rounders, fined heavily and both Josh Harris Elton Broand and possible Doc Rivers would've gotten leangthy suspensions

11. From what my cousin heard from his buddy in the 76ers org Harden was fined for his comments about not playing. There's talk if he doesn't show up 76ers will give him the Ben Simmons treatement and suspended him till he decides he wants to play ball.

12. Twofinal thing was my Cousin told me the 76ers got away unscathed in the Ben Simmons issue of blame. It became easy PR thanks to Rich Paul and company to throw all the blame on SImmons and the fans backed it. The 76ers played a major part in enabling Simmons behavior over the years and theres not enough talk about that. A lot want to talk about Ben not shooting work ethic etc but no one wants to talk about how it got to that point or going back to Giovoni's scouting report before the draft on him. I think and a few people I talked to think if Ben and his camp didn't pull the Mental illness BS the 76ers may have gotten more blame here. People saw right through that BS with Simmons camp which only infuriated the fans and media more.

13. The final thing was Morey F'd up on the Simmons trade. He backed himself in a corner of saying we want a top 25 player for him. Noone in their right mind was giving that up for cancer on their team unless they were trading their own disgruntled player *What's up James Harden!!!!*. Morey should've instead found the best deal in terms of getting depth back. He screwed the ppoch giving up their best 3PT option in Seth Curry a good back up in Andre Drummond and 2 future first you could've used. Instead they could've gotten more depth especially for their bench and maybe an adequate point to run the offense and shoot the 3. My cousin felt that really screwed them up. Many wee happy to get Harden and for some reason thought he'd change when he never will. He has some juice in his tank but Harden's question for when he wants too is a big issue

Overall it sounded more like the 76ers are viewed as the NBA laughing stock once again

Users who are viewing this thread