What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (24 Viewers)

There are only 3 teams right now that anyone should be scared to play in the playoffs if they are healthy. The Celtics, Nuggets and Clippers.

Scared probably isn't the right word, they are beatable, but that team will have to have their A game for a 6 or 7 game series and in the West you will probably have to do it twice to make the finals.

I'm still kinda high on the Suns. 32-22 is fine, and they really haven't been at full strength at all. Durant has barely fallen off so far, and I suspect people would be looking at his entire career and current level of play differently if his foot had been an inch further back in 2021. And I think they're just being wildly overprotective of Beal given his history and his absurd workload the last couple years so he's ready in May.

There are only 3 teams right now that anyone should be scared to play in the playoffs if they are healthy. The Celtics, Nuggets and Clippers.

Scared probably isn't the right word, they are beatable, but that team will have to have their A game for a 6 or 7 game series and in the West you will probably have to do it twice to make the finals.

I'm still kinda high on the Suns. 32-22 is fine, and they really haven't been at full strength at all. Durant has barely fallen off so far, and I suspect people would be looking at his entire career and current level of play differently if his foot had been an inch further back in 2021. And I think they're just being wildly overprotective of Beal given his history and his absurd workload the last couple years so he's ready in May.
I'm just skeptical of a team that hasn't played much with their entire core group together and has not had playoff success yet. They have the parts to be great, but they haven't put them together yet, seem to have let downs and will have to run through the tougher West without the benefit of home court for most of the playoffs.

Heat win by 30 at Milwaukee with no Jimmy Butler, no point guard
Doc Rivers is now in place after the team had a coup and ran off their head coach
And now Milwaukee is losing games

The Heat are still like a 7-10 seed this year but my goodness it's nice to know they can start as an 8-seed again and just take the regular seaosn off

If playoffs started today (and 7/8 seeds held their spot through the play-in) we would have the following 1st round matchups:
EAST
Boston v Orlando
Cleveland v Miami
Milwaukee v Indiana
NYK v Philly

WEST
Minnesota v Sacramento
OKC v Dallas
LAC v Phoenix
Denver v New Orleans

I see only 1 compelling matchup in the East right now (Cleveland/Miami) unless Embiid gets back to speed and then that NY/PHI matchup could be fun.

The West could be fantastic if it fell like that with 4 good series right out of the gate.

ETA: I guess the MIL/IND series would be interesting but only to see if the Bucks will completely implode or not.

Yup. They are the only 3 teams I'm sold on. The rest of the list is fluctuating week to week. The next group either has little to no playoff experience or has some flaws or both. OKC, MIN & CLE all have complete teams but I don't trust them to win 4 straight 7 game series against good teams.

One of the biggest differences between the regular season and playoffs is facing the same team several times in a row. It creates a very different dynamic that make playoff experience and good coaching more important than in the regular season.
Not sure how everyone is still sleeping on the Heat. Same W/L percentage as last year. Been to 3 eastern conference finals and two finals in the past 4 years. Same core of players. Same great coach

You can only go to this well so many times. I am not a buyer that a team can just barely make the playoffs and go on a magic run every year. Maybe I am wrong, but they had a lot of things break their way last year to make the finals. I don't see lightning striking twice.

I'm just skeptical of a team that hasn't played much with their entire core group together and has not had playoff success yet. They have the parts to be great, but they haven't put them together yet, seem to have let downs and will have to run through the tougher West without the benefit of home court for most of the playoffs.

Sure, that's fair. Counterpoint would be that the org made the Finals and almost won it fairly recently, albeit with a different leading cast. And the only concern anyone can have about Durant is whether he knows where his feet are vis a vis the three point line (usually not a problem) and whether any of his teammates are insane antisemitic conspiracy theorists (not familiar enough with Phoenix roster).

They have problems defensively. The team is asking Durant to play a prominent role on that end and he's not capable of anchoring the defense anymore. Outside of their top 2 (3, I guess, if you want to include the 5% likelihood that Beal is playing in a given game), they also are reliant on trick-or-treat role players who don't create real well. I think the Suns are properly in that group of 4/5-8 teams in the West that can beat anybody on a given night but aren't going to be consistently great.

Can someone explain to a no nothing fringe NBA fan why the Heat are so much better when one of the following 3 are OUT?
Bam-Jimmy-Tyler Herro, they are fairly mediocre when ALL 3 play together and when one of them is OUT then the Heat go to the Finals

Yup. They are the only 3 teams I'm sold on. The rest of the list is fluctuating week to week. The next group either has little to no playoff experience or has some flaws or both. OKC, MIN & CLE all have complete teams but I don't trust them to win 4 straight 7 game series against good teams.

One of the biggest differences between the regular season and playoffs is facing the same team several times in a row. It creates a very different dynamic that make playoff experience and good coaching more important than in the regular season.
Not sure how everyone is still sleeping on the Heat. Same W/L percentage as last year. Been to 3 eastern conference finals and two finals in the past 4 years. Same core of players. Same great coach

Yeah, I think a lot of folks put way too much stock in the regular season. I have a feeling teams like DEN and MIA are just slow rolling their way through the regular season before they turn it on

Plus, culture.

They have problems defensively. The team is asking Durant to play a prominent role on that end and he's not capable of anchoring the defense anymore. Outside of their top 2 (3, I guess, if you want to include the 5% likelihood that Beal is playing in a given game), they also are reliant on trick-or-treat role players who don't create real well. I think the Suns are properly in that group of 4/5-8 teams in the West that can beat anybody on a given night but aren't going to be consistently great.

Appreciate the incite.

When I left this place way back when I figured this thread would be the thing I'd miss most, and I was right. I think I've watched as much non-Wiz basketball in the last week as I did from October to December 24. Knowing more about both the teams and their fan bases/vibes changes everything. Thanks folks, keep it coming

i'm not watching them every night so maybe someone who does can weigh in but the Bucks feel like Giannis, Dame playing offense, a couple old guys and a bunch of nobodies. that's not really a winning recipe.

Middleton isn't peak Middleton. the defense is full of holes not just because of Lillard but he's not helping. the defensive scheme is completely different and doesn't seem to be a good fit for what they have.

they don't really have any way to improve barring..... trading Dame?? and all that is kind of OK for this year. they aren't winning anything and that sucks because Giannis should be in contention every year but that's just not reality. they have to eat the season and look to next year.

If I am Boston, or Milwaukee, or a healthy Philadephia, I would much prefer to play Indy, Orlando, New York, or Cleveland in the first round over Miami

I get that players and teams that have already won are perceived to be more likely to win again, but the teams with the core of their main pieces still in place that have won before are DEN, GSW, MIL, and LAL. The Lakers had a nice run last year, but I don't think they have the horses this year. The Warriors appear to be a .500 / play in team. They have work to do to get out of the play-in tournament. They've played better the last couple of weeks, but I still don't love their chances as a finalist. I suppose the Bucks have time to right the ship, but for now they don't look great. The Nuggets didn't win anything until they suddenly did. A team has to win their first title together before than can win a second.

The two other notable guys that have won titles before are on different teams now (KD and Kawhi). Harden / George / Westbrook / the Clippers haven't won before . . . does that matter?. Even if the Sixers get Embiid back, they haven't made it past the second round. The other young / limited experience teams (CLE / NYK / OKC / MIN) are unlikely to win 4 series, but they certainly could win a series or two.

As far as BOS goes, there has been a lot of talk that the C's won't win with Tatum as their main guy and point to their lack of a title so far. But he's still only 25. Durant won at 28. LeBron first won at 27. Jokic won at 27. Curry first won at 26. Giannis won at 26. Kawhi first won at 22 (but was not the main guy back then) and won as the top dog at 27.

At some point playoff experience should start to matter, right? Total playoff games for players under age 30 currently in the Top 30 in scoring:

Brown (105)
Tatum (94)
Giannis (79)
Jokic (68)
Embiid (53)
Mitchell (44), Booker (43)
Bridges (39), Brunson (36), Maxey (35)
Doncic (28), Young (27), Jackson Jr. (23)
KAT (16), Randle (15), SGA (13), Edwards (11)
Fox (7)
Markkanen, Banchero, Cunningham, Zion, Haliburtron (0)

Even though the Celtics haven't won a title, Brown and Tatum have a ton of playoff experience compared to many other younger players. IMO, that helps them a lot more than their lack of a title hurts them. I still say anything but a trip to the finals will be a massive disappointment for them.

If I am Boston, or Milwaukee, or a healthy Philadephia, I would much prefer to play Indy, Orlando, New York, or Cleveland in the first round over Miami

Indy or Orlando sure, but the Knicks and Cleveland have some playoff experience and are playing better right now. So if the playoffs started today and I was a Celtic my order would be Magic, Pacers, Miami, Cavs, Knicks.

We still have 2 monthish before the playoffs start so that can change.

I get that players and teams that have already won are perceived to be more likely to win again, but the teams with the core of their main pieces still in place that have won before are DEN, GSW, MIL, and LAL. The Lakers had a nice run last year, but I don't think they have the horses this year. The Warriors appear to be a .500 / play in team. They have work to do to get out of the play-in tournament. They've played better the last couple of weeks, but I still don't love their chances as a finalist. I suppose the Bucks have time to right the ship, but for now they don't look great. The Nuggets didn't win anything until they suddenly did. A team has to win their first title together before than can win a second.

The two other notable guys that have won titles before are on different teams now (KD and Kawhi). Harden / George / Westbrook / the Clippers haven't won before . . . does that matter?. Even if the Sixers get Embiid back, they haven't made it past the second round. The other young / limited experience teams (CLE / NYK / OKC / MIN) are unlikely to win 4 series, but they certainly could win a series or two.

As far as BOS goes, there has been a lot of talk that the C's won't win with Tatum as their main guy and point to their lack of a title so far. But he's still only 25. Durant won at 28. LeBron first won at 27. Jokic won at 27. Curry first won at 26. Giannis won at 26. Kawhi first won at 22 (but was not the main guy back then) and won as the top dog at 27.

At some point playoff experience should start to matter, right? Total playoff games for players under age 30 currently in the Top 30 in scoring:

Brown (105)
Tatum (94)
Giannis (79)
Jokic (68)
Embiid (53)
Mitchell (44), Booker (43)
Bridges (39), Brunson (36), Maxey (35)
Doncic (28), Young (27), Jackson Jr. (23)
KAT (16), Randle (15), SGA (13), Edwards (11)
Fox (7)
Markkanen, Banchero, Cunningham, Zion, Haliburtron (0)

Even though the Celtics haven't won a title, Brown and Tatum have a ton of playoff experience compared to many other younger players. IMO, that helps them a lot more than their lack of a title hurts them. I still say anything but a trip to the finals will be a massive disappointment for them.
MIA down?
Not a single word I see about the Heat, 3 of the last 4 ECF and 2 trips to the Finals
I don't think they can win an NBA Championship with that roster however most don't believe what they've done recently
And someone has to take them out in Rd 1 or Rd 2 to have a deep run

Here's Jayrod's Super Unscientific Championship Favorites list:

1. Boston - I'm not just being a homer, they are the best team in the NBA and it's obvious. They don't play perfect, but the talent is undeniable and the East is weak.
2. Denver - If they weren't struggling so much at times this year, I'd be tempted to put them first. This is still essentially the same team that won it all last year but they seem to be coasting at times. Jokic should win the MVP again and he is the best player in the world.
3. LA Clippers - Kawhi/PG13 are the best 2-way wing tandem in the league and they have scoring to spare. They have a gear most teams can't reach and a guy who has done it twice before when healthy.
4. OKC - SGA is a superstar and Chet is a good running mate. Add in all of their Williamses, Dort and Giddey and they have enough pieces to make a run, but they have no experience there yet.
5. Dallas - Luka is the most skilled non-big in the league. He can single handedly win 2 games in a 7 game series. I dislike Kyrie, but he is a walking bucket and I like the moves they made at the deadline.
6. Minnesota - I like what they have cooking, ANT has made a leap and McDaniels has been great. But, I don't trust the Gobert/KAT combo in the playoffs and they are likely to get exploited before the Finals.
7. Milwaukee - Lillard hasn't been good enough to offset the loss of Jrue, but they have Giannis and he is still the 2nd best player in the world. Middleton is struggling to provide what they need from him and I just don't see them getting out of the East.
8. Cleveland - They are good, but not great. Fun to watch and have a lot of important pieces, but are short on playoff experience and are small on the perimeter. They match up poorly vs Boston especially.
9. Miami - One word.....culture. They have it and you don't. Honestly though they still scare me and will probably embarrass someone in the playoffs.
Great write up. I feel like Philadelphia is too early to rule out (if Embiid is healthy around the playoffs—I think they easily have to be up here). I also think that Phoenix and Sacramento are arguably more scary than Miami, Dallas, or Milwaukee. I also personally feel like you are too low on Minnesota. That team played the Nuggets really hard in last seasons playoffs with no Naz Reid or McDaniels. They are playing with more cohesion and chemistry this season. While McDaniels is great—they have Nickeil coming off of the bench—and he’s almost like a second McDaniels. The Timberwolves might very well be the most ”complete” team in the NBA. They have solid ball handling, they have a lot of talent at the wing positions, they are deep and talented in regards to bigs. They have perimeter shooting, they have length, they have quickness, and they have athleticism. I’d personaly have a hard time keeping them out of the top 5, and I could easily see them in that 3-4 range.
We should all pay more attention to this guy. He sounds really smart at basketball.

MIA down?
Not a single word I see about the Heat, 3 of the last 4 ECF and 2 trips to the Finals
I don't think they can win an NBA Championship with that roster however most don't believe what they've done recently
Is the current Heat team a former champion (which was what I was discussing)? As of now, they would have to get through the play-in (and any of the 1-6 seeds would be able to advance without facing them if they didn't get one of the last two spots).

But since you brought them up, lots of things broke their way last year (Giannis banged up, insanely hot stretch shooting the ball, Tatum hurt on the first play of Game 7). As of now, they are mostly an up and down team with a +0.1 scoring differential. They currently rank 22nd in offensive rating, 10th in defensive rating, and 19th in net rating. They are 11-17 against teams with winning records.

Sure, they still have time and could start playing better more consistently, they could get hot in the playoffs, and they could go up against teams with injuries again. No one will really want to play them in the first round, but whichever team they face (if they advance from the play-in) should be able to beat them (most likely one of BOS-MIL-CLE who they are a combined 2-6 against this season). I could just as easily see them losing in the first round like they did to MIL in the 20-21 season. I like their chances of winning a first round series a lot more if they earn the 5 or 6 seed.

MIA down?
Is the current Heat team a former champion (which was what I was discussing)? As of now, they would have to get through the play-in (and any of the 1-6 seeds would be able to advance without facing them if they didn't get one of the last two spots).

But since you brought them up, lots of things broke their way last year (Giannis banged up, insanely hot stretch shooting the ball, Tatum hurt on the first play of Game 7). As of now, they are mostly an up and down team with a +0.1 scoring differential. They currently rank 22nd in offensive rating, 10th in defensive rating, and 19th in net rating. They are 11-17 against teams with winning records.

Sure, they still have time and could start playing better more consistently, they could get hot in the playoffs, and they could go up against teams with injuries again. No one will really want to play them in the first round, but whichever team they face (if they advance from the play-in) should be able to beat them (most likely one of BOS-MIL-CLE who they are a combined 2-6 against this season). I could just as easily see them losing in the first round like they did to MIL in the 20-21 season. I like their chances of winning a first round series a lot more if they earn the 5 or 6 seed.
Things have been breaking the Heat's way for over 2 decades
Down 2-0 and 100 points in Game 3 but come roaring back for their 1st Title
So many stars were out when the Big 3 went to 4 straight and won B2B titles
Such a dumb luck team, those damn Heat

MIA down?

LOL. Since you are referencing multiple seasons for a team that currently rosters none of those players that were on that team, do I get to talk about old Celtics teams too? Even the last one that won (which shared Ray Allen with those Heat teams)? Both MIA and BOS have the same number of titles in the past 10 years . . . that alone begs the question as to why either one could win one now.

MIA down?

LOL. Since you are referencing multiple seasons for a team that currently rosters none of those players that were on that team, do I get to talk about old Celtics teams too? Even the last one that won (which shared Ray Allen with those Heat teams)? Both MIA and BOS have the same number of titles in the past 10 years . . . that alone begs the question as to why either one could win one now.
I'm simply defending that you make it sound like things break the right way for the Miami Heat and I would say we could walk that back for 2 decades
Has any other team in the East accomplished more over the last 20 years?

I'm simply defending that you make it sound like things break the right way for the Miami Heat and I would say we could walk that back for 2 decades
Who cares what the team did 10-15 years ago (or any team for that matter). It's completely irrelevant. Does this team have three HOFers on it? Do they have the #1 player in the world? I mentioned ONE SEASON when they had good fortune (last year). Congrats on making it to the finals. They lost. Just like Boston the year before. Second place is the first loser. I would be very surprised if the Heat win the title this season. Some sites have them at +4500.

Who cares what the team did 10-15 years ago (or any team for that matter). It's completely irrelevant. Does this team have three HOFers on it? Do they have the #1 player in the world? I mentioned ONE SEASON when they had good fortune (last year). Congrats on making it to the finals. They lost. Just like Boston the year before. Second place is the first loser. I would be very surprised if the Heat win the title this season. Some sites have them at +4500.
Eastern Conference CHAMPIONS is what you meant to say

i'm not watching them every night so maybe someone who does can weigh in but the Bucks feel like Giannis, Dame playing offense, a couple old guys and a bunch of nobodies. that's not really a winning recipe.

Middleton isn't peak Middleton. the defense is full of holes not just because of Lillard but he's not helping. the defensive scheme is completely different and doesn't seem to be a good fit for what they have.

they don't really have any way to improve barring..... trading Dame?? and all that is kind of OK for this year. they aren't winning anything and that sucks because Giannis should be in contention every year but that's just not reality. they have to eat the season and look to next year.

Disagree that the Bucks are in "look to next year" mode - not by a long shot. Of course they could implode and crash out in the first round again, but they have plenty of time to figure things out with a new coach, new scheme and a nice new piece in PBev to incorporate into the mix. I was at the game on Monday and they hardly broke a sweat against Denver - dominated from start to finish.

Disagree that the Bucks are in "look to next year" mode - not by a long shot. Of course they could implode and crash out in the first round again, but they have plenty of time to figure things out with a new coach, new scheme and a nice new piece in PBev to incorporate into the mix. I was at the game on Monday and they hardly broke a sweat against Denver - dominated from start to finish.
like i said, i'm not watching every night. just feels like they are a cog missing some teeth and a few more are wearing down.. not a real title contender.

crazier things have happened. lots of basketball left, but lots feels off about their season.

Appreciate the incite.
This thread can definitely incite people.

This typo was a tribute to the Wizznutzz, a blog from the early days of internet sportswriting. Two lunatics who viewed Wizards basketball through the prism of the players' eating habits and the works of 19th century Swedish playwright August Strindberg. However weird you think that sounds, it was weirder than that.

The only remaining record of their work that I was able to find in the ten seconds I was willing to devote to it was someone at McSweeney's making the mistake of letting them write a column for the site: A Brief History of Bacon: A Quarter Century of Wizards Basketball. Not one of their best, but a good representation of the work.

and a nice new piece in PBev to incorporate into the mix.
There is a reason Pat Bev is on his 5th team in 3 years. That reason is not because he is a "nice new piece"

He is garbage

I've only seen him play twice and so far he is an upgrade over Cam Payne in that role - but yeah, no one is looking to him to change the team's fortunes. Its really up to Dame, Middleton and Lopez to play better come playoff time.

and a nice new piece in PBev to incorporate into the mix.
There is a reason Pat Bev is on his 5th team in 3 years. That reason is not because he is a "nice new piece"

He is garbage

I've only seen him play twice and so far he is an upgrade over Cam Payne in that role - but yeah, no one is looking to him to change the team's fortunes. Its really up to Dame, Middleton and Lopez to play better come playoff time.
Bucks 32-18 when Payne played. 1-1 with Beverly

:wink:

100%. It's not really fair to judge them too harshly under Doc... they haven't been healthy since he started and it was understood that it would take some time to adjust to Doc's different system. I'm seeing improvements in the defense already (maybe save last night's effort), and I think Dame is more likely than not going to have a (much) stronger second half than first. If Kris gets healthy (maybe a fairly big 'if') and Lopez can step up, Bucks certainly will be in the mix.

Unless they play Indiana in the first round. Then it's over.

100%. It's not really fair to judge them too harshly under Doc... they haven't been healthy since he started
Huh? Dame missed one game since Doc took over. Giannis, Lopez, Middleton have played in every game. Their top 9 has played in almost every game besides the one Dame missed

I think the Bucks will be a factor in the playoffs. 4/5 starters were starters on the championship team and the 5th guy is Dame.

I don't think they can win it all, but that is more of an indictment of Doc than the roster.

Chicago giving the Cavs all they can handle. Coby White has made a huge leap this year. Should be a MIP candidate.

4/5 starters were starters on the championship team and the 5th guy is Dame.
Giannis, Middleton, Lopez, and???
Huh, for some reason I thought Conaughton was their 5th, but it looks like DiVencenzo started most of the season and PJ Tucker was the 5th guy in the Finals. Plus that's all wrong since Beasley is the guy this year.

As usual, good job making sure every post is 100% factual.

4/5 starters were starters on the championship team and the 5th guy is Dame.
Giannis, Middleton, Lopez, and???
Huh, for some reason I thought Conaughton was their 5th, but it looks like DiVencenzo started most of the season and PJ Tucker was the 5th guy in the Finals. Plus that's all wrong since Beasley is the guy this year.

As usual, good job making sure every post is 100% factual.
Hard to forget what a great performance PJ Tucker put in against Harden in the ECF.

Harder still to understand why the Clippers keep him and Bones Hyland on their roster doing nothing.

10:51 a.m. ET: The Oklahoma City Thunder are finalizing a trade to acquire Charlotte Hornets wing Gordon Hayward for guard Tre Mann and forward Davis Bertans, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

1:03 p.m. ET: The Charlotte Hornets are finalizing a trade to send forward P.J. Washington to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Grant Williams, guard Seth Curry and a lightly protected 2027 first-round pick, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Good moves from Charlotte today. Getting rid of Gordon is a positive. PJ is good but always knew a contender was going to get him eventually. Forwards that can shoot the 3 are valuable.

Hornets roster is pretty terrible, glad they are actually tearing it down. They are frequently playing guys that a G league quality.

Seth Curry coming home to have games called by his dad is pretty cool.
Tear down team is 3-0.

10:51 a.m. ET: The Oklahoma City Thunder are finalizing a trade to acquire Charlotte Hornets wing Gordon Hayward for guard Tre Mann and forward Davis Bertans, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

1:03 p.m. ET: The Charlotte Hornets are finalizing a trade to send forward P.J. Washington to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Grant Williams, guard Seth Curry and a lightly protected 2027 first-round pick, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Good moves from Charlotte today. Getting rid of Gordon is a positive. PJ is good but always knew a contender was going to get him eventually. Forwards that can shoot the 3 are valuable.

Hornets roster is pretty terrible, glad they are actually tearing it down. They are frequently playing guys that a G league quality.

Seth Curry coming home to have games called by his dad is pretty cool.
Tear down team is 3-0.
Break up the Hornets.

Hahahaha, nice game Draymond.

Warriors choke down the stretch. Clippers win with no Kawhi, Lue ejected early in 4th qtr and George fouls out with 5 minutes left. Norman Powell torches them in the 4th while the Warriors offense sputters. Draymond with the game worst -12 plus/minus. He also got hit in the face in the 3rd qtr and just layed in the lane not moving for 4 straight possessions while they played 5 on 4.

like i said, i'm not watching every night. just feels like they are a cog missing some teeth and a few more are wearing down.. not a real title contender.

crazier things have happened. lots of basketball left, but lots feels off about their season.
i feel like we have a bad matchup with the heat and it has been that way for the last three of four years but i also think that this most recent loss to them was a let down game after beating denver which im not crazy about but at least makes some sense i just want to see more pat bev and how he changes things and if doc can find a d where most of our players find thier inner give a shart again take that to the bank brohan

Users who are viewing this thread