What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Kawhi introduces playoff load management (72 Viewers)

Anthony Davis is such a frustrating superstar. Often times his statistical impact seems sooo much greater than his actual impact on the game. He’s such a better player when he acts and plays quick—but so many times he’s such a ball stopper. Props to Denver fans as the Nuggets just feel like they are 4-8 minutes a game better than the Lakers. The Lakers seem to be able to compete with them for 40-44 minutes a game—but they end up with these several minute stretches where Denver just pushes ahead and wins.

Anthony Davis is such a frustrating superstar. Often times his statistical impact seems sooo much greater than his actual impact on the game. He’s such a better player when he acts and plays quick—but so many times he’s such a ball stopper. Props to Denver fans as the Nuggets just feel like they are 4-8 minutes a game better than the Lakers. The Lakers seem to be able to compete with them for 40-44 minutes a game—but they end up with these several minute stretches where Denver just pushes ahead and wins.
The thing that baffles me more than maybe anything with him is that he is CONSTANTLY behind the play after a defensive rebound for the Nuggets. Sometimes he is yelling at the refs, sometimes he is on the ground, sometimes he's tired, sometimes it's just frustration. It leads to a handful of easy buckets a game for the Nuggets and then another 5-10 possessions where the Lakers are mismatched defensively.

That also ties in to the most underrated aspect of Jokic the playoff player - he is in better shape than anybody that either he guards or who guards him. So, when Davis is behind the play, Jokic is sprinting (if you could call what he does, sprinting) up the court to create that mismatch for somebody.

Lakers were done when they had to rely on D-Lo as their 3rd man.

Games of 13, 23, 0 pts tonight.

With games of 1/9, 7/11, 0/6 from 3.

That kind of extreme inconsistency will not bring home a championship.

Less than halfway into the 2020s, already more 50 point playoff scorers than in any other decade.
8 of the 11 in the 80s and 90s were MJ and that's against WWE style defense. Yet another notch in the GOAT arsenal.
Teams averaged 10 fewer points per game back then as well. Jordan also averaged 2 ppg more for the Bulls in the post season than he did in the regular season. Given that it wasn't unusual for playoff games to be in the high 80s / low 90s, scoring a ton of points then was a lot tougher than it is today. (I remember Bulls playoff games when CHI scored in the 70s). Four times this season a team lost with a player scoring 60+.

Less than halfway into the 2020s, already more 50 point playoff scorers than in any other decade.
8 of the 11 in the 80s and 90s were MJ and that's against WWE style defense. Yet another notch in the GOAT arsenal.
Teams averaged 10 fewer points per game back then as well. Jordan also averaged 2 ppg more for the Bulls in the post season than he did in the regular season. Given that it wasn't unusual for playoff games to be in the high 80s / low 90s, scoring a ton of points then was a lot tougher than it is today. (I remember Bulls playoff games when CHI scored in the 70s). Four times this season a team lost with a player scoring 60+.
The Bulls/Knicks series' were insane and the level of punishment they were allowed to meet out under the basket and on drives would get players suspended in today's game. Maybe Draymond should time portal to a more friendly time for his game.

You can still get the Nuggets, the obvious best team in basketball, at +220 to win the title. Those odds are way off.
I feel like it's a little low, but it's possible the next two series in the west could be tough for them (or a complete breeze). I would probably have both them and Boston (such an easy path to the finals) in the +170 range with the field at about the same odds as well.

The Lakers laughed at the idea of tanking the first play in, but I think this series is showing that would have been the best choice if the goal was a title. If the goal was saving face and making the playoff revenue for Jeanie Buss, it was probably the right move though as losing the second play in would have been incredibly embarrassing.

You can still get the Nuggets, the obvious best team in basketball, at +220 to win the title. Those odds are way off.
I feel like it's a little low, but it's possible the next two series in the west could be tough for them (or a complete breeze). I would probably have both them and Boston (such an easy path to the finals) in the +170 range with the field at about the same odds as well.

The Lakers laughed at the idea of tanking the first play in, but I think this series is showing that would have been the best choice if the goal was a title. If the goal was saving face and making the playoff revenue for Jeanie Buss, it was probably the right move though as losing the second play in would have been incredibly embarrassing.
Right. This team wasn't going on a deep run anyway, it's a crummy roster past LeBron and Davis. They can't shoot and they can't rebound. They had to make sure they at least got in. Now they need to blow it up. They won't. Jeannie is running this thing like a retirement home for aging superstars.

Last edited:
Something has been wrong wirh the Bucks all year. I feel like they would be a better team even with Giannis injured with Jrue, even though Lillard is a better individual player.

Users who are viewing this thread