What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also worth keeping an eye on this lawsuit West Virginia and a couple other states have pending against the NCAA regarding player transfers. The case involves basketball, but any ruling will presumably apply to all NCAA sports. The case regards players who have transferred a second time, and were therefor prohibited by the NCAA from playing this season. The court previously issued a TRO allowing those players to suit up and play, and had the matter set for a final hearing on injunctive relief on Dec 27 with the Court indicating a trial would happen before the end of the season. The parties reached a temporary agreement that put off the 12/27 hearing date, allowing the players to continue to play. All indications from my news feed are that the NCAA knows it will lose, and is just desperately trying to hang on to some control it has by reaching some middle ground settlement.

It was just a couple years ago a fantastic young basketball player from my community was told by the NCAA that he had to sit out an entire year because he had to change schools for personal reasons. Imagine being a young kid in your prime at the top of your game and having a year taken from you by these twats. Not really going out on much of a limb here, but I have been saying for some time all these restrictions and eligibility rules will soon be gone.

Our kids will look back on things like Tatoo-gate and similar incidents and that era will be so foreign and contrary to common sense it will be like us thinking about the Salem Witch trials.

Not great news for the NCAA in this one today. While the NCAA was in Washington pleading with congress for much needed antitrust exemptions, the US DoJ joined the states as another plaintiff in this lawsuit.

“NCAA Division I institutions compete with each other not just on the playing field or in the arena, but to recruit and retain college athletes,” Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Kanter of the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division said. “College athletes should be able to freely choose the institutions that best meet their academic, personal, and professional development needs without anticompetitive restrictions that limit their mobility by sacrificing a year of athletic competition.”

Alabama freshman Julian Sayin, the top-ranked quarterback in the Class of 2024, intends to enter the NCAA transfer portal, sources told ESPN. Sayin is expected to initiate the transfer process Friday, sources said.

Sayin is the highest-ranked offensive player in the 2024 ESPN 300, as he is No. 3 overall and was one of the marquee players in Alabama's recruiting class. Sayin enrolled early at Alabama, and his first day of classes earlier this month coincided with the announcement of coach Nick Saban's retirement.

The reason for Sayin initiating the process to depart Alabama, sources said, is that he came to play for Saban. Since Saban abruptly retired, Sayin is going to explore his options.

Sayin's eventual entry into the transfer portal is one of the biggest additions this offseason. He is considered a unanimous five-star recruit and earned MVP honors at the Elite 11 finals heading into his senior year.

The impending transfer adds to the high-profile defections under new coach Kalen DeBoer, as the Crimson Tide have lost top returning wide receiver Isaiah Bond, freshman All-America safety Caleb Downs and seven other players since Saban's retirement.

Sayin threw for 2,369 yards, 24 touchdowns and one interception as a high school senior in Carlsbad, California.

Sayin picked Alabama over LSU, Ohio State and Texas out of high school. By transferring, Sayin would use his one-time transfer exemption. He is expected to enroll in a new school to take part in spring practice in the upcoming weeks.

I know reaction has been mixed, but as an Ohio State fan, I really like this hire.

Returning basically everyone except MHJ, adding an uber-talented recruiting class with a few players who could have day 1 impact, and then topping that off with probably the best year any team has ever had in the transfer portal, the 2024 Buckeyes are loaded. On paper this may be the most talented OSU team I can remember. But they still have a relatively young and inexperienced coaching staff, including at the top. While BOB's record is a mixed bag, having a coach that has been around all the talent at Alabama and in the NFL and who has learned from Saban and Belichik has to be beneficial. And his play calling ability will allow Day to focus on the big picture and can also serve to help groom Hartline for the same role in the future.

If it lands the Buckeyes Julian Sayin that is icing on the cake.

I know reaction has been mixed, but as an Ohio State fan, I really like this hire.

Returning basically everyone except MHJ, adding an uber-talented recruiting class with a few players who could have day 1 impact, and then topping that off with probably the best year any team has ever had in the transfer portal, the 2024 Buckeyes are loaded. On paper this may be the most talented OSU team I can remember. But they still have a relatively young and inexperienced coaching staff, including at the top. While BOB's record is a mixed bag, having a coach that has been around all the talent at Alabama and in the NFL and who has learned from Saban and Belichik has to be beneficial. And his play calling ability will allow Day to focus on the big picture and can also serve to help groom Hartline for the same role in the future.

OSU is absolutely stacked. Loads of talent both coming back and coming over via the transfer portal. It would be a challenge for them not to contend for the national championship - but if anyone can overcome that challenge, it’s Bill O’Brien. Dude is just the worst.

Ohio State is having a big offseason. Ryan Day must be feeling the pressure. I guess losing three in a row to the National Champion Michigan Wolverines will do that.

Talent's never been an issue at OSU :lmao: There's probably ONE class in the last 10 years not in the top 5. And I'd likely guess ZERO classes, but I know Meyer left so I'm guessing if there is one, it's around the time he bailed. OSU's trajectory doesn't change until Day starts paying attention to toughness and the O/D lines.

Talent's never been an issue at OSU :lmao: There's probably ONE class in the last 10 years not in the top 5. And I'd likely guess ZERO classes, but I know Meyer left so I'm guessing if there is one, it's around the time he bailed. OSU's trajectory doesn't change until Day starts paying attention to toughness and the O/D lines.
Remind me again how many seniors TTUN had on their championship* team?

This has nothing to do with what I posted. :lmao: I'd probably want to be deflecting at this point too. Keep holding out hope that the NCAA is going to erase the last three years though :thumbup:

But to answer the question (not sure of the point of it) these were the "seniors" on this team..in bold are the notable losses

• OL Reece Atteberry (3)

• TE A.J. Barner (2)

• RB Blake Corum (2)

• WR Eamonn Dennis (3)

• RB Isaiah Gash (3)

• EDGE Jaylen Harrell (2)

• TE Matthew Hibner (2)

• OL Myles Hinton (2)

• DL Kris Jenkins (2)

• EDGE Braiden McGregor (2)

• RB/LB Kalel Mullings (2)

• DB Makari Paige (2)

• OL Jeffrey Persi (3)

• WR Roman Wilson (2)

• OL Zak Zinter (2)

Maybe you wanted to know about graduates?

This has nothing to do with what I posted. :lmao: I'd probably want to be deflecting at this point too. Keep holding out hope that the NCAA is going to erase the last three years though :thumbup:
Your response was in the middle of a discussion that included talent coming back. You glossed over that part (talk about deflection), and chose to focus on recruiting classes. A big part of TTUN’s success this year was because of the experience their upper classmen had. You can minimize what tOSU’s bringing back at your peril. They’re using Slippin’ Jimmy’s blue print.

Your response was in the middle of a discussion that included talent coming back. You glossed over that part (talk about deflection), and chose to focus on recruiting classes. A big part of TTUN’s success this year was because of the experience their upper classmen had. You can minimize what tOSU’s bringing back at your peril. They’re using Slippin’ Jimmy’s blue print.
Maybe this will make my point clearer.....talent (regardless of it's recruiting classes or people coming back) has never been the issue at OSU. I fully acknowledge the talent coming back and what they are accumulating in recruiting classes.

Maybe this will make my point clearer.....talent (regardless of it's recruiting classes or people coming back) has never been the issue at OSU. I fully acknowledge the talent coming back and what they are accumulating in recruiting classes.
There’s no question tOSU has underachieved, considering their talent level year in and year out. However, it’s also a lot easier to win when you know exactly what your opponent is going to do, even with 3 stars.
That being said, other teams have been loaded with young talent and not made it over the hump. Experience counts. Next season is undoubtedly make or break for Day, considering the talent AND experience on both sides of the ball.

OSU is absolutely stacked. Loads of talent both coming back and coming over via the transfer portal. It would be a challenge for them not to contend for the national championship - but if anyone can overcome that challenge, it’s Bill O’Brien. Dude is just the worst.

I think OSU is thinking that two negatives (Day and Obrien) equal a positive. I am not sure coaching works like math does, but it is a bold strategy.

Man.....Michigan wins a championship for the first time in the internet era and Ohio State fan is right there to take a steaming dump on 'em. What a rivalry.

Can't wait for Oregon to show you clowns what up. ;)

Teams in the big ten will just wear Penix jerseys and watch Oregon fold like a cheap suit.

Michigan fan reaction shots are a mural in my basement. Inject this into my veins all day long.
That video can legally drive.

Man.....Michigan wins a championship for the first time in the internet era and Ohio State fan is right there to take a steaming dump on 'em. What a rivalry.

Teams in the big ten will just wear Penix jerseys and watch Oregon fold like a cheap suit.

Michigan fan reaction shots are a mural in my basement. Inject this into my veins all day long.

I think that's the game that got Lloyd Braun fired, iirc

Why does it seem like very financial planner I settle on (fiduciaries, reputable) seems to underperform the market? Even with similar 70-30 ratios I do better in 401K’s with present and past employers I didn’t roll over to them. Seriously, I like the retirement planning, Monte Carlo simulations, a little bit of tax loss harvesting etc. but that’s it. Seriously thinking of just becoming a Boglehead or invest in Todems list and yank from these guys.

Beat me to it.

I think that's the game that got Lloyd Braun fired, iirc
Serenity now

Based on the video quality, I assumed he upload it from his Commodore 64

However, it’s also a lot easier to win when you know exactly what your opponent is going to do, even with 3 stars.
Imagine how easy it must be stacked with a bunch four and five stars then...oh wait..... It was no secret what Michigan was going to do this year to ANYONE and yet......

:lmao:

Do you think there will be no consequences for their actions? I'll admit that UoM won the Championship Game fair and square, but how they got there is still under question. I don't think that should be trivialized.

Do you think there will be no consequences for their actions? I'll admit that UoM won the Championship Game fair and square, but how they got there is still under question. I don't think that should be trivialized.
I have no idea what the NCAA is going to do. I'm sure "something" will happen though I think they've already tried to do most of what they possibly could by leaking this stuff prematurely. It just didn't work. I don't care what they do on paper honestly and it seems like the only ones that do are OSU fans. The more the coaches/teams were asked about it through Dec, the more clear it became that it's not all that rare and with all the other alleged events that have supposedly happened, it's rather obvious stealing signs is pretty common and likely mild compared to some of the other things alleged (like schools colluding to scout other schools and the hacking of catapult tape systems)...again, allegedly.

Obviously a lot of pros and cons, but it has to suck going from your home being the largest football stadium in the country to a stadium that will have more opposing than home fans.

He didn't provide a link, but some guy in the shark pool says Harbough to Chargers is a "done deal".
Also being reported from "sources" that Harbaugh will be taking Minter with him as DC.

Leaving Sherrone Moore as highly likely to succeed as head coach at Michigan (which was a pretty obvious anyway).
That's the bigger gut punch. Minter and MacDonald are rising stars in coaching. It was a matter of time before Minter was snatched away.

He didn't provide a link, but some guy in the shark pool says Harbough to Chargers is a "done deal".
Also being reported from "sources" that Harbaugh will be taking Minter with him as DC.

Leaving Sherrone Moore as highly likely to succeed as head coach at Michigan (which was a pretty obvious anyway).
That's the bigger gut punch. Minter and MacDonald are rising stars in coaching. It was a matter of time before Minter was snatched away.
Yep. The Harbaugh bros. had a nice two-way defensive coaching pipeline going between Michigan and the Ravens.

Well it sucks but all the best to him. He's a legend forever in Ann Arbor. And he left us in a great position.

I reckon it won't be 24 hours before Sherrone Moore is named head coach.
Smart move. Goes out on top.
When has a National Championship winning HC ever left immediately after for an NFL job? Why hasn't anyone from UoM been on the recruiting trail and using that National Championship win to bring in new talent now that they are losing half their team. I think Harbaugh said they would have 22 drafted players this year. He is leaving that cupboard bare for Moore - especially if he's taking Minter and Jay H with him. They still haven't backfilled the LB spot (Minter's dad was interim help this year). There's also rumors that Harbaugh will take the QB coach and OL coach with him to the Chargers also.

So Moore is now left to pick up the pieces, deal with any blow back from the NCAA, try to recruit new talent, all while trying to convince any existing players to remain. The 30 day transfer window is now open with Harbaugh heading to the NFL. Who at UoM will stay, who will go? Alabama needs a new DB, and Johnson could now be in play. Things are going to be interesting.

Well it sucks but all the best to him. He's a legend forever in Ann Arbor. And he left us in a great position.

When has a National Championship winning HC ever left immediately after for an NFL job? Why hasn't anyone from UoM been on the recruiting trail and using that National Championship win to bring in new talent now that they are losing half their team. I think Harbaugh said they would have 22 drafted players this year. He is leaving that cupboard bare for Moore - especially if he's taking Minter and Jay H with him. They still haven't backfilled the LB spot (Minter's dad was interim help this year). There's also rumors that Harbaugh will take the QB coach and OL coach with him to the Chargers also.

So Moore is now left to pick up the pieces, deal with any blow back from the NCAA, try to recruit new talent, all while trying to convince any existing players to remain. The 30 day transfer window is now open with Harbaugh heading to the NFL. Who at UoM will stay, who will go? Alabama needs a new DB, and Johnson could now be in play. Things are going to be interesting.

The cupboard is far from bare. And the coaches have been recruiting.

I know you are excited that Ohio State may break the streak and beat the National Champion Michigan Wolverines next year. But they will be ok. So I guess we will see.

The cupboard is far from bare. And the coaches have been recruiting.

I know you are excited that Ohio State may break the streak and beat the National Champion Michigan Wolverines next year. But they will be ok. So I guess we will see.
A lot of guys picked up experience during the first half of the season (and throughout the season for the D-line). They might have experienced Tuttle (last year's Indiana transfer) at QB or maybe the new stud, Jadyn Davis ...Edwards leading the crop of RBs ...solid at TE ..WRs including Semaj Morgan ..Mason Graham and others on the D-line ...talent in the secondary. But we'll see how things play out with the transfer portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread