What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Offseason Catchall (sooo close to 2023 kickoff!) (2 Viewers)

Who is wearing the green dot in Washington and will that signify the LB to win there?
I feel like I read that Barton was, which surprised everyone since we all expected Jamin Davis to wear the dot after seeing Barton's deficiencies last season.

Word on the street (Norton 1st preseason week notes) thinks it's leaning to Barton. I still think Davis is the target I would throw my dart at.

Yeah, I heard Barton but can't remember where I read it.

I watched Davis the past few years. He never seems to be around the ball, really.

Don't know where else to put this, but Jack Campbell looks darn good. He had a PFF grade of 90 last game and he's had two tackles today already. He just stuck the runner both times. Not losses, but he saw the gap, filled it, and stood the running back up for little to no gain.

This was good LB read

Eagles signed Zach Cunningham and Myles Jack because Morrow isn't working out.\

CUnningham been starting, and Jack is retiring.

On Thursday, before the preseason game, McDermott was extremely critical of the default top middle linebacker Tyrel Dodson and the state of the starting competition in general. The coach also simultaneously raised some eyebrows with his praise for 32-year-old veteran linebacker A.J. Klein in all the ways he had previously criticized the younger middle linebacker competitors. That praise for Klein was a bit of foreshadowing, as Klein has now entered the equation to be the opening day starting middle linebacker in 2023. Although Dodson started the game and received the first two defensive series with the top unit, Klein entered the game with all the defensive starters still on the field and played the next two series with them.

Don't know where else to put this, but Jack Campbell looks darn good. He had a PFF grade of 90 last game and he's had two tackles today already. He just stuck the runner both times. Not losses, but he saw the gap, filled it, and stood the running back up for little to no gain.
Campbell just always seems to be around the ball. I don't know if he'll make many "splash plays" but the combined solos + assists will be impressive starting right from Day One.

We pretty much knew this, though, since he excelled at this in a run-heavy Big 10 conference. I didn't see enough of his games, though, to know if he will produce the "big play" in the NFL or not. :shrug:

Campbell just always seems to be around the ball. I don't know if he'll make many "splash plays" but the combined solos + assists will be impressive starting right from Day One.

Good point. Thanks. My IDP league is tackle heavy, and we just got true position, so inside linebackers that rack up tackles just got extra valuable. Everyone’s desirability may vary.

While I was waiting for this to load, Gregg Rosenthal called him the DPOY of the preseason on Around the NFL.

One dollar at auction in Zealots, baby. Two or three weeks ago. I did that before the buzz because rumor was that he was pretty good at OTAs and might get moved to ILB. I figured ILB with DE scoring would be the bomb. Undersized but making waves in camp and in the preseason. He'll likely be third in the rotation behind Watt and Highsmith. So, no ILB, but a player to watch.

Good point. Thanks. My IDP league is tackle heavy, and we just got true position, so inside linebackers that rack up tackles just got extra valuable. Everyone’s desirability may vary.
Just got Campbell at 3.01 of our rookie draft in our tackle heavy league. Very pleased for the same reason.

:thumbup:

Just saw this:

Adam Schefter

Trade: Isaiah Simmons is being traded from the Cardinals to the NY Giants for a seventh-round pick in 2024, per source.
So is he being moved back to LB? Probably helps Jalen Thompson and Buddha a bit but not sure what happens in NY.

ETA: If he does get moved back to LB and your platform still keeps him at DB it may be a cheat code
No idea hopefully more comes out soon as you brought up great points!

Just saw this:

Adam Schefter

Trade: Isaiah Simmons is being traded from the Cardinals to the NY Giants for a seventh-round pick in 2024, per source.
So is he being moved back to LB? Probably helps Jalen Thompson and Buddha a bit but not sure what happens in NY.

ETA: If he does get moved back to LB and your platform still keeps him at DB it may be a cheat code
Great point Gally. Our auction is this Saturday and don't expect another MFL position update until next weekend.... this could be interesting. Fraught with risk, however.

Just saw this:

Adam Schefter

Great point Gally. Our auction is this Saturday and don't expect another MFL position update until next weekend.... this could be interesting. Fraught with risk, however.
We lock in our positions at the time of the draft. We don't want to screw someone who constructed their roster based on a position and then have it change 2 months into the season. So once a player is drafted at a position that is locked for the year. It alleviates the risk. Highly recommend that be put in place for you.

What's the word on Marcus Jones (CB - NE)? He was a cheatcode last year but looks like he isn't a starting CB this year. Anybody have any info on him?

Last edited:
Possible names of interest that were cut today include:

• AJ Klein (does this mean Dodson is safe as a starter?)
  • Trevis Gibson (once upside DE for Bears)
  • Darrian Beavers (NYG LB was expendable with Simmons getting to town)
  • Mykal Walker (CHI recent signing)
  • Johnathan Abram (Saints)
  • Jaylon Smith (NO)
  • Troy Reeder (Min)
  • Nicholas Morrow (PHI)
  • Jabril Cox (DAL),

Wow, Klein was talked up as possibly moving ahead of Dodson this week, Morrow really fell hard for a job that looked like it should be his.

What's the word on Marcus Jones (CB - NE)? He was a cheatcode last year but looks like he isn't a starting CB this year. Anybody have any info on him?
No clue. Some press from early Aug about him not sure if he's playing both ways. Definitely doesn't appear to be a starting CB but he wasn't last year, either. Jalen Mills and Jack Jones were both injured and that's when Marcus got 85-90% and blew up in the last few weeks. Tough to get snaps with Gonzalez and the other Joneses (Jonathan and Jack) ahead of him. Myles Bryant still seeing some reps too. Frustrating but I can't cut the guy until I see a few real games. The upside is too high.

Possible names of interest that were cut today include:

• AJ Klein (does this mean Dodson is safe as a starter?)
  • Trevis Gibson (once upside DE for Bears)
  • Darrian Beavers (NYG LB was expendable with Simmons getting to town)
  • Mykal Walker (CHI recent signing)
  • Johnathan Abram (Saints)
  • Jaylon Smith (NO)
  • Troy Reeder (Min)
  • Nicholas Morrow (PHI)
  • Jabril Cox (DAL),

Buffalo is still a tough read. Basically, Klein/Dodson didn't really impress and run away with it while Bernard was out with an injury. I'm still unable to find an article I saw tonight (to see if the source was worth their salt) but it noted Bernard coming back from injury may put him in the starting role by default. Another frustrating one... especially for one of my rosters where I have both and cutdown dates approach. :poop:

Morrow doesn't surprise me. I've had Christian Elliss in most leagues expecting him to beat Morrow. Jack/Cunningham signings were a monkey wrench but Jack is gone and I still think Elliss is the starter. No clue if that will be the case all year and I have no idea if he'll be a 3DLB next to Dean.

Oh wow - Christian Kirksey got cut too.
Yes, if Perryman is on the wire he's a must add. I was desperately trying to confirm green dot on him via YT highlights but couldn't be sure. IDP Gurus noted he did wear it in week 2. Several still have Kirksey wearing it. Seems like Perryman/Harris are the two that will stay on the field which means it's time to hop back on the Perryman train(wreck).

And Ivan Pace is starting. Wow.

Starting? Definitely need a source on this one. I only see "made the roster" but I didn't go deep down that rabbit hole.

Yes, if Perryman is on the wire he's a must add. I was desperately trying to confirm green dot on him via YT highlights but couldn't be sure. IDP Gurus noted he did wear it in week 2. Several still have Kirksey wearing it. Seems like Perryman/Harris are the two that will stay on the field which means it's time to hop back on the Perryman train(wreck).

Starting? Definitely need a source on this one. I only see "made the roster" but I didn't go deep down that rabbit hole.

Agree on Pace. I have only seen that he made the team but haven't seen anywhere that he overtook Hicks or Asamoah to be a starter.

Agree on Pace. I have only seen that he made the team but haven't seen anywhere that he overtook Hicks or Asamoah to be a starter.
This Viking and Buffalo situations are the two I’m monitoring the most. Lots of uncertainty and even once we find out who is starting week 1 these situations can drastically change by week 4-5

This Viking and Buffalo situations are the two I’m monitoring the most. Lots of uncertainty and even once we find out who is starting week 1 these situations can drastically change by week 4-5
I am not really thinking uncertainty in Minnesota. I think Hicks and Asamoah are pretty set and that Pace is the backup to each of them. Now, if either falter I would expect for Pace to get a shot but I don't think he is in the running to start. I also don't think those two will falter although Hicks could be an injury risk

I agree BUF is one that could easily be a week-by-week headache. Nobody running away with it means nobody good enough that they're not replaceable. So odd to see these guys be mediocre while R. Evans is on the wire after a beastly season last year.

I agree with @Gally on MIN. Everything I was following had a camp competition between Asamoah & Reeder (which I thought was dumb as Reeder = JAG) but that gets cleared up with Reeder's release. I'd need to see something solid for Pace to be considered a starter.

Copied from The IDP Guys newsletter (email sub) - Sicoli's Weekly Wrap: IDP quick hits. I'd link to the online version but I don't see any actual links in the email to open it.

Eagles cut LB Nicholas Morrow
Sicoli's Wrap: Morrow entered the summer as the projected starter next to Nakobe Dean, but now finds himself off the roster altogether. His struggles in camp led the team to bring in Zach Cunningham and Myles Jack. With the latter retiring, Dean and Cunningham will run the show with backup Christian Elliss.
My guy Elliss could be my first cut. :crying:

Vikings LB Ivan Pace Jr. rested in third preseason game
Sicoli's Wrap: You rarely see an undrafted rookie be rested in the preseason. This is a great sign for Pace, who has shined this month. Still, temper those expectations. Jordan Hicks and Brian Asamoah were also rested, and the LB2 role for the Vikings may not be as valuable under Brian Flores.

Where is that coming from? I haven't seen that news.

In MassRaider's defense, I read the same thing yesterday morning. Then, later in the day, went looking to confirm (because I found it odd that I hadn't heard anything more about it), and couldn't find it anywhere. Can't recall where I read it, but for me to make a mental note of it, I'm 95% sure it was something more than just someone's speculative post. In other words, I'm pretty sure I read it from a FF "news source." I just can't recall which one (and I read/browse a ton of this stuff daily).

So, yeah, I think somebody got a little ahead of themselves in making that announcement. Probably deleted once they realized they were wrong. Pace definitely made the team, but the closest I could find to him "starting" was something about him working his way towards "starter minutes." Big difference. But, again, unless I just imagined or misread something yesterday, I swear I saw a headline that said he had won a starting job (which appears to definitely be fake news).

No worries on it. I know that feeling of seeing it then being unable to find it, as I still can't find the Bills-local report that mentioned Bernard coming back from injury and potentially starting over Dodson. Holding both as roster cloggers while now assuming Kirksey may be starting week one. Ugh. :ROFLMAO:

I also thought I saw something that implied that the writer was a little behind the times, like Pace would be one of the three LBs when they deploy 3, and would be the backup to both of Asamoah and Hicks. So in 2015, that’s a starter. Today it’s very few snaps.

If anyone spots an updated projection of every-down LBs this week, please post a link. I’d love to see updated projections of guys like Rozeboom, Cunningham, Dodson, Perryman, etc. - guys who moved up during the preseason and might still be on the wire in some leagues.

Jeremy Chinn New Role Confirmed

Any thoughts on how this impacts fantasy production? Seems to suggest he will be closer to the line, but also in coverage more. Is there a comp for this role?
Yes. It is the slot corner / nickel back role. Pretty common in recent years.

Jalen Ramsey probably the most famous example in the role in recent years. L'Jarius Sneed for the Chiefs last season. C.J. Gardner-Johnson, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Antoine Winfield, Jr. have also played the position at times.

Remains to be seen how it impacts his fantasy production in Carolina's new scheme. My guess is it would be similar to his production last year (solid but inconsistent) but not necessarily a significant boost. It has been a highly productive spot for some (especially for the CB's who move there). Don't think it is quite as advantageous a position as a true in the box safety. Definitely better than a deep safety though.

Last edited:
Any Lions homers know safety situation for Detroit heading into week 1? I have opportunity to pick up Branch and start him week 1, but his role is still unclear. It’s a risky move but I can carry no bench DBs and might not want to wait to see what this guy does because it could be nice role and big game verse the Chiefs. Anyone with more insight care to give their thoughts on this secondary it would be appreciated. When he does see the field is he going to be utilized at a safety closer to the box or center field? Thanks

Any Lions homers know safety situation for Detroit heading into week 1? I have opportunity to pick up Branch and start him week 1, but his role is still unclear. It’s a risky move but I can carry no bench DBs and might not want to wait to see what this guy does because it could be nice role and big game verse the Chiefs. Anyone with more insight care to give their thoughts on this secondary it would be appreciated. When he does see the field is he going to be utilized at a safety closer to the box or center field? Thanks
The latest FBG IDP article discusses upside for Branch in detail. Pretty optimistic

Users who are viewing this thread