What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

Yeah that was bad but aside from that he didn’t look awful.

On the other hand he sure hasn’t shown that he deserves the backup job over Haskins.  I’m sure it’s a foregone conclusion but I just don’t see much upside in Rudolph.  

He seems to be another Landry Jones, maybe a hair better
AJ McCarron just tore his ACL, any chance we can trade Rudolph to ATL for a late round pick? I agree that he just doesn't have any upside and that a season with him as the starter is a lost season. We might make the playoffs, but there's almost 0 chance he could take down the top teams in the AFC. There's a reason his drives didn't end in TDs...

I really hope they keep Jamir Jones over Marsh if they only keep 4 OLBs.  Marsh is a total liability in the run-game.  I also want them to keep Roche over Marsh if they keep 5, but that is more debatable.  I just recall Marsh being terrible last season and he hasn't shown anything new this summer . . . .

AJ McCarron just tore his ACL, any chance we can trade Rudolph to ATL for a late round pick? I agree that he just doesn't have any upside and that a season with him as the starter is a lost season. We might make the playoffs, but there's almost 0 chance he could take down the top teams in the AFC. There's a reason his drives didn't end in TDs...

That would be great.  I just fear that the Steelers are all-in this season, and like their chances better if Ben goes down having both Rudolph and Haskins -- so we don't end up with a Duck situation again.  Dobbs can't lead the team through the playoffs.

Predicted 53?

QB (3):  Ben; Rudolph; Haskins

RB (4):  Harris, Ballange, McFarland, Watt

WR (5):  Juju; Claypool; DJ; Washington; McCloud

TE (3):  Ebron; Freiermuth; Gentry

OL (9):  Chuks; Dotson; Green; Turner; Banner; Moore; Coward; Haus; Haeg

DL (7😞 Hayward, Tuitt, Alualu, Wormley, Loudermilk, Davis, Buggs

ILB (5):  Bush, Shobert; Spillane, Buddy, Allen

OLB (5): Watt, Highsmith, Ingram, Jones, Marsh (wish was Roche)

CB (5): Haden, Sutton, Pierre, Layne, Brooks

S (4):  Fitz, Edmonds, Killebrew, Norwood

K:  Boswell

P:  Harvin

LS:  Canaday

Would not surprise me at all if we signed a vet safety or CB after some cuts this week.  Depth pretty thin there.  I would think Norwood goes to PS, Marsh gets cut, and/or Haeg gets cut in that scenario.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There is none.  "He is who we thought he was" at this point.  The team would be better served with Haskins above him on the depth chart.
There's an article saying that Steelers fans should give Rudolph the same chance for improvement that they're giving Haskins. IMO that's idiotic. Haskins was a better prospect originally, and he's coming from a different situation that was chaotic (much his own fault). Rudolph has been in the Steelers system since day 1 and has shown that he's a mediocre backup QB. He can come in if the starter is hurt and maybe go 500. That's not something to invest in as a starter. I'm not sure Haskins can do better than that, but he's cheaper, and we have to go for upside when trying to get a starting QB/team leader. 

There's an article saying that Steelers fans should give Rudolph the same chance for improvement that they're giving Haskins. IMO that's idiotic. Haskins was a better prospect originally, and he's coming from a different situation that was chaotic (much his own fault). Rudolph has been in the Steelers system since day 1 and has shown that he's a mediocre backup QB. He can come in if the starter is hurt and maybe go 500. That's not something to invest in as a starter. I'm not sure Haskins can do better than that, but he's cheaper, and we have to go for upside when trying to get a starting QB/team leader. 
Haskins is also younger.

Agree 100%.  I don't think Rudolph is terrible but he sure isn't anything special.   There is no guarantee Haskins will ne any better but he sure has more upside.

My prediction is they keep both with Rudolph as the #2 backup but if Ben goes down for any length of time Haskins will eventually get a chance to start.

Haskins is also younger.
Younger, and still an RFA, so they could tender him next year if they wanted to. 

Agree 100%.  I don't think Rudolph is terrible but he sure isn't anything special.   There is no guarantee Haskins will ne any better but he sure has more upside.

My prediction is they keep both with Rudolph as the #2 backup but if Ben goes down for any length of time Haskins will eventually get a chance to start.
I also assume that it will be Ben, Rudolph, Haskins with Dobbs cut or sent to PS. If Rudolph could be benched for Duck, then he definitely has the chance to get benched for Haskins.

And just for the record, I'm not a Haskins believer. I think he has some talent but that he's also missing some key elements that most great QBs have and that another year in college would have done wonders for his game. But he just has more upside at this point. 

I don't believe Haskins is anything more than a "maybe", but I know that Rudolph isn't even that.  We have seen that movie already and we know how it ends.  He's "just a guy."   Haskin may be more (or less) than that, but we don't know yet. 

With Rudolph, we know.  That's a solved problem.

Absolutely zero reason not to find out in the time they have with Haskin if he CAN be more than "just a guy." Make him the #2 option and have done with it.  Opens up the option to do some stuff with him on the field during games rather than watch him sit around with his hat on backwards (even if he just winds up sitting around with his hat on backwards anyway).

I don't believe Haskins is anything more than a "maybe", but I know that Rudolph isn't even that.  We have seen that movie already and we know how it ends.  He's "just a guy."   Haskin may be more (or less) than that, but we don't know yet. 

With Rudolph, we know.  That's a solved problem.

Hey.  You must not realize that Rudolph is 4th in passing this preseason so far!

...right behind Nate Peterman, Kyle Lauletta and Jacob Eason

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Well nevermind then lol

Anybody worth signing out there, or is it Sutton slot and Pierre outside in nickel, with less dime played this year keeping Bush ans Shobert on the field?
Doesn't appear to be anyone of even mediocre status. Gareon Conley and Prince Amukamara aren't going to improve our team. That said, there's still many cuts still to come, so some decent talent may get cut for cap savings. 

I wonder if we trade James Washington prior to the final cut downs to a team for a CB. I'd rather just roll with JW on our team for the year because he's one of the best WR4's in the entire league, but I completely get why he'd want out. 

Sounds like Rudolph is locked in as the QB2, based on Tomlin's recent interview comments. I wonder if Haskins and Dobbs are playing the final game in the hopes of trading Dobbs again. 

Recent article by the Trib makes it sound like Pitt locked Haskins in as the QB3 so he wouldn't feel under pressure. 

Fantasy Points crew sees PIT Offense morphing into is ground heavy with Play action deep balls to Claypool... with Dante and Juju taking a step back (juju a bigger step). 

Thoughts? 

Also, Ben's arm good for those deep hucks? 

TIA :wub:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantasy Points crew sees PIT Offense morphing into is ground heavy with Play action deep balls to Claypool... with Dante and Juju taking a step back (juju a bigger step). 

Thoughts? 

Also, Ben's arm good for those deep hucks? 

TIA :wub:  
That is the plan: Ben under center more to utilize play-action more often. Of course you have to have a decent running game to be able to pull that off.  Harris is legit but the revamped o-line needs to be much better.

I’m no doctor but from what I’ve seen Ben’s arm looks fine.  The question is whether or not he will have the time.  Again the o-line is the question mark here because the Steelers have some great weapons at the skill positions.

Minshew to the Eagles for a 6th. Why the hell cant the Steelers make a trade like this?

They need a better backup QB and Minshew wild have been perfect. He makes under $1million and is signed through next year. 

O-line is still bad. Maybe better than last year, but still bad. I don't expect much ground game. I think shotgun will be the dominant formation again. I will be amazed if Ben throws less than 600 times.

Haskins is better than both

I would argue he is a push.   Haskins had a ton of opportunities against 2nd string this preseason and he was average at best.   To be fair Rudolph as just as average.    Last night Haskins looked real bad in the first half.  I don't think the Panthers had a bunch of starters on defense playing.  

Really isn't much to look at from last night's game.   Yeah Darnold completely trashed the Steelers D but there was no starters out there.  We all know that if the Steelers have to deal with depth this season then this season is a waste

If Ben goes down I’m not sure any of those guys would be able to salvage the season.  

I would much prefer they trade for or sign an offensive lineman or DB

Drunken Cowboy said:
I do think they have one more move planned. I am still hoping LT, but a good CB would be great. 

I expect Watt will be signing an extension within the next day or two and then we'll see what they have left in cap space.

I'm worried the Steelers are going to try and sneak some younger players onto their practice squad and have them sniped away, just to keep older mediocre players like Marsh...

I'm worried the Steelers are going to try and sneak some younger players onto their practice squad and have them sniped away, just to keep older mediocre players like Marsh...

Marsh is terrible. Jamir Jones should make the team over him.  I can see Marsh if they keep 5 OLBs, but I also don't want Roche going somewhere else.

Did Shakur Brown clear so he can go to the practice squad?

I like Mark Gilbert -- not sure he has a spot on the 53, but hope he is on the team one way or another.

They need to keep 7 on the d-line at least until Tuitt is back fully.

I don't see any reason to keep both Snell and Ballange.  One should be gone.

Users who are viewing this thread