What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (9 Viewers)

Watching Dan Miller call a game us almost as fun as watching the game itself. Best in the business…..but I’m biased.
Dan Miller lives about 2 miles from me. I have seen him a number of times over the years. One time he was right behind me at the grocery store. I turn and said "Dapper Dan" he is the nicest guy.

The guy next to Miller works his tail off!

One of my favorite Miller calls was a couple years ago the Packers had a 4th and 1 and were going for it and Miller said "Lions defense needs a stop here, time for the defense to get their big boy pants on "

Last edited:
Shouldn’t be too hard to motivate the team for this next one, after last season. Tbh, if I’m believing in this team, which I am allowing myself to do, this should be our biggest victory of the season so far all going well. Bryce has not looked good so far

As much as getting Jamo back will fill out the offense, getting Mosely in the lineup with fill out the defense.

Sutton is quietly putting up an elite season and no one is really noticing. All QB's are targeting Jacobs who has been the biggest weakness on defense. Sutton has only been targetted about 18 times in the first four games and has only allowed a 50 percent completion rate and no TDs. Getting Mosely on the field will keep Jacobs on the bench in most situations and improve our pass coverage significantly. This will also help the DL get a few more sacks.

Considering our offense and defense has already been playing pretty good, it will be fun to see how getting new key players on both sides of the ball will help. IMHO, both Jamo and Sutton will be a huge boost as they will turn our biggest weaknesses into strengths.

As much as getting Jamo back will fill out the offense, getting Mosely in the lineup with fill out the defense.

Sutton is quietly putting up an elite season and no one is really noticing. All QB's are targeting Jacobs who has been the biggest weakness on defense. Sutton has only been targetted about 18 times in the first four games and has only allowed a 50 percent completion rate and no TDs. Getting Mosely on the field will keep Jacobs on the bench in most situations and improve our pass coverage significantly. This will also help the DL get a few more sacks.

Considering our offense and defense has already been playing pretty good, it will be fun to see how getting new key players on both sides of the ball will help. IMHO, both Jamo and Sutton will be a huge boost as they will turn our biggest weaknesses into strengths.

Considering Williams has contributed nothing to date, any production at all will be a bonus.

Considering Williams has contributed nothing to date, any production at all will be a bonus.

Most of which had nothing to do with how Jamo played. When they get the ball in his hands, he is untouchable and the defenders look like they are standing still. Jamo only has to be on the field to make the rest of the Lions offense much better.

This is why I like DC. No BS.

DC was not exactly gushing over Williams return in todays presser. I think we as fans are hoping for the big splash plays. DC seems to just want Williams to be a stable player.

When asked about Williams going forward this season Campbell said his only goal for Williams this fall is to be a reliable, dependable player when it comes to executing his job.

"Get lined up, know where you’re supposed to be. We’re going to get the depth out of you and we need to count on you to be where you’re supposed to be, when you’re supposed to be there. That’s it," Campbell said. "I’m not looking for yards, I’m not looking for explosives, not looking for touchdowns. Man, just be a reliable receiver, like all of those guys in the room. That’s it. Cause we’re about winning. It’s not about one player, and that’ll help us win."
Thats the coach delivering a message and sounds like he may not have been reliable to date. Williams career to date has been choppy. He's really still a rookie.

Appears he needs to show up with his lunch box each day on time ready to work.

Campbell has said each player develops in his own way. I'm glad he's back from his ticky-tack suspension. Hoping for good things for him and Gibbs as the season goes on. If either breaks out Lions offense becomes ferocious.

Goff trusts ARSB, LaPorta & Josh. Always where they’re supposed to be, at the right depth, on the same page with the QB on choice routes.

Reynolds has played his entire career [with Jared] (except the 1/2 season with the Titans), Amon-Ra 3 years; but Sam established chemistry back in OTAs. So did tryout UDFA Dylan Drummond.

We have yet to see that from Jamo. Consistently struggled during WR drills during OTAs & TC, would get sent back in line to run it again. Always did better in 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s.

Takes a lot more than raw talent to succeed at WR at the highest level. Unless you’re Randy Moss you’re not going to walk on the field and dominate everyone on your gifted ability. Gotta put in the work before his teammates will trust him.

This team is never going to be about one potential star.

Last edited:
2nd Quarter Opponents
  • WK 5 Panthers (-9)
  • WK 6 at Bucs (game has been flexed to 4:25pm start)
  • WK 7 at Ravens (I will be attending)
  • WK 8 Raiders (first MNF game in Detroit since 2018)
  • WK 9 bye
Panthers and Raiders are bottom quarter teams

Bucs are a solid middle tier team (they're bringing back the NFC Central era Creamsicle Orange just for WK 6)

Ravens and Lions are good teams just outside of the Top Tier SB contenders (Cowboys, Dolphins, Eagles, Bills, Chiefs, 49ers)

Two (s/b) easy home games and two tough road environments. Another 3-1 stretch would put them in solid position going into the bye.

NFL Week 5 Power Rankings of the Lions by various sources:
  • That Franchise Guy (random YT content creator - Packers fan) - 8th
  • The Athletic - 7th
  • ESPN - 8th
  • USA Today - 5th
  • NFL.com - 7th
  • PFT/NBC - 8th
  • PFF Team Grade - 5th

PFF named their First-Quarter All-Pro Team today. Three Lions made the list, two on 1st team & one on 2nd team.
  • TE Sam LaPorta - Kelce was 2nd Team
  • C Frank Ragnow got the nod over the Dolphins starting C
  • Flex D - Brian Branch was 2nd Team behind Trent McDuffie

[Jeremy Reisman Pride of Detroit]

The Lions are 3-1 despite:
  • 3 EDGE defenders landing on IR by Week 2
  • Only 1 week of a healthy starting 5 OL
  • Losing CJGJ for a couple months in Week 2
    [EDIT - Losing James Houston IV for a couple months in Week 2]
  • Missing other starting safety (Kerby Jospeh) for 2 weeks
  • No JaMo
  • Missing CB2 for first 4 games
  • “underused” Gibbs

Most of which had nothing to do with how Jamo played. When they get the ball in his hands, he is untouchable and the defenders look like they are standing still. Jamo only has to be on the field to make the rest of the Lions offense much better.

Yep, anything at this point is a bonus.

@Justin_Rogers

More good news than bad at Lions' Tuesday practice. No Branch, St. Brown or Cabinda.

The latter two are running on the side. Decker, Vaitai, Jamo, Kerby, Moseley all practicing.

Khalil Dorsey, on IR, is also running on the side, while PS tackle Dan Skipper is sitting out.

Am I missing something, guy has 1 reception in 6 NFL games?

Yes, you are.

Yes, you are.

I am hoping he lights it up for big splash plays all over the field but Wrigley is correct. Williams has 1 career reception to date for whatever the reasons.

I don`t expect him to come in and do what St. Brown or LaPorta have done early in their careers. Sounds like DC is not expecting that either.

What are your expectations?

Yes, you are.

I am hoping he lights it up for big splash plays all over the field but Wrigley is correct. Williams has 1 career reception to date for whatever the reasons.

I don`t expect him to come in and do what St. Brown or LaPorta have done early in their careers. Sounds like DC is not expecting that either.

I expect him to have at least 6 plays of over 40 yards the rest of the season. He won't be a high-volume guy, but he will give this offense the explosiveness it has been missing. More importantly he stretches the defense keeping the safeties deep allowing more big plays from Gibbs, LaPorta, ARSB, and Monty. And he will demand coverage by their fastest DB. He has two plays of 40 yards last season, plus he beat the Jets highly regarded secondary by 5 yards and Goff under threw him, plus he had a 65-yarder where he torched the defense which was called back on a hold. Just watch his college tape. Jamo has a gear no one can touch, plus his skillset is good enough to take advantage of it. He has not done much because he was hurt and then suspended and Goff is a difficult guy to earn his trust. There is no reason not to be excited about what Jamo brings to the team.

Yes, you are.

I expect him to have at least 6 plays of over 40 yards the rest of the season. He won't be a high-volume guy, but he will give this offense the explosiveness it has been missing. More importantly he stretches the defense keeping the safeties deep allowing more big plays from Gibbs, LaPorta, ARSB, and Monty. And he will demand coverage by their fastest DB. He has two plays of 40 yards last season, plus he beat the Jets highly regarded secondary by 5 yards and Goff under threw him, plus he had a 65-yarder where he torched the defense which was called back on a hold. Just watch his college tape. Jamo has a gear no one can touch, plus his skillset is good enough to take advantage of it. He has not done much because he was hurt and then suspended and Goff is a difficult guy to earn his trust. There is no reason not to be excited about what Jamo brings to the team.

I hope you are correct, but I listened to DCs presser and he did not sound endeared to Williams. More like "The train is leaving and either you are on board or will be left behind" Hope he gets the message.

Yes, you are.

I can see him getting a few snaps here and there with the Lions taking a deep shot to him on a second down and short. He didn't show much connection to Goff last year and I wouldn't expect it to be there his first couple games back from suspension. Probably run a reverse to keep him involved.

PFF Team Grades
  • Overall 84.3 (5th)
  • Offense 79,9 (3rd)
  • Passing 81.0 (3rd)
  • Pass Blocking 71.6 (5th)
  • Receiving 76.1 (3rd)
  • Rushing 72.6 (14th)
  • Run Blocking 70.0 (4th)
  • Defense 73.6 (10th)
  • Run Defense 69.9 (7th)
  • Tackling 56.5 (17th)
    was 31st; missed tackles by Week:
    1. at KC 8
    2. SEA 13
    3. ATL 11
    4. at GB 2
  • Pass Rush 69.4 (17th)
  • Coverage 72.9 (14th)
  • Special Teams 65.4 (21st)

RankPlayerPOS#GPASSCOVCOV %COVPEN (decl)TGTRECREC %YDSY/RECYACaDoT
1.BranchSCB415514794.880.32 (0)211466.71067.6335.0
2.MelifonwuS2787798.774.40 (0)3266.784.026.7
3.R OkwaraED34149.871.30 (0)0000
4.CJGJS2979395.968.91 (0)4375.04113.7511.0
5.SuttonLCB419119099.568.51 (0)191157.914813.52215.5
6.Walker IIIS3989799.067.20 (0)7342.93411.3314.9
7.JosephS2939298.966.01 (1)7457.15814.52510.9
8.AnzaloneLB418417595.165.11 (0)231878.31488.21112.5
9.BarnesLB41079084.163.60 (0)55100.0346.8281.2
10.C HarrisED41351712.662.41 (0)11100.02121.01110
11.OnwuzurikeDI43712.762.20 (0)0000
12.CominskyDI411121.862.10 (0)0000
13.JRMLB255100.062.10 (0)0000
14.PaschalDI11417.160.00 (1)0000
15.HutchinsonED417442.352.61 (0)0000
16,JacobsRCB419018898.951.45 (0)312064.51969.83111.3
17.CampbellLB4916268.145.60 (0)10770.07911.3517.8
18.Houston IVED223939.144.11 (1)11100.03131.0922.0
19.W HarrisCB31616100.043.00 (0)33100.05016.71113.0
20.RodriguezLB4494081.641.50 (0)8562.5479.4342.5
TEAM14 (2)1439767.81,00110.3376

Last edited:
NAMELNGFIFI%PBUINTDRITDNFL70.1S/TGTS/RECTKLASTMISMIS%STOP
Branch16314310290.66.59.815016.37
Melifonwu11133100070.124.336.56000.02
R Okwara110000.00000
CJGJ262502010107.321.528.770222.20
Sutton34211000082.89.416.270112.51
Walker III16114102058.013.030.34100.00
Joseph24114101084.212.321.563110.01
Anzalone1729200093.57.19.192635.36
Barnes1000000095.017.417.442114.32
C Harris21000000118.817.017.040120.04
Onwuzurike000000.01000.01
Cominsky000000.01100.02
JRM000000.00000
Paschal000000.00000
Hutchinson000000.010266.73
Jacobs3527120387.65.78.8201416.05
Campbell25110100093.35.78.14200.01
Houston IV31000000118.88.08.01000.00
W Harris44000000118.85.35.320133.31
Rodriguez1300000078.64.67.430125.00
TEAM44161621334590.795122136

Key:
POS: Season position
#G: Number of games in which the player appeared
PASS: Snaps lined up on the field on pass plays
COV: Coverage Snaps
COV%: The percentage of coverage snaps per passing snap played
COV: PFF Grade for Defensive Coverage against Receivers
PEN: Total (Declined+Offset): Total and (declined or offsetting) penalties
TGT: Receiving Targets
REC: Receptions
REC%: Percentage of targets caught
YDS: Receiving Yards
Y/REC: Yards per Reception
YAC: Yards After Catch
aDoT: Average Depth of Target
LNG: Longest reception allowed
FI: Forced Incompletions
FI%: Forced Incompletions per Target
PBU: Pass Breakups
INT: Receiving Interceptions
TD: Receiving TD
NFL: NFL Passer Rating Against
S/TGT: Coverage Snaps per Target
S/REC: Coverage Snaps per Reception
TKL: Tackles
AST: Assisted Tackles
MIS: Missed Tackles
MIS%: Missed Tackle Rate
STOP: Defensive Stops - tackles that constitute a "failure" for the offense

Last edited:

Yes, you are.

I hope you are correct, but I listened to DCs presser and he did not sound endeared to Williams. More like "The train is leaving and either you are on board or will be left behind" Hope he gets the message.

I did not read it that way at all. I heard Dan saying that Jamo just needs to focus on doing what he is suppose to and not worry about production. Production will come from being in the right place. A similar message to Mosely. Definitely not an ultimatem.

Yes, you are.

I did not read it that way at all. I heard Dan saying that Jamo just needs to focus on doing what he is suppose to and not worry about production. Production will come from being in the right place. A similar message to Mosely. Definitely not an ultimatem.

I will predict one play.

They will run the reverse play they ran last week, except Gibbs will fake the pitch to Williams and keep it. As the D will be expecting Williams.

Player
PositionInjuryWednesday*ThursdayFridayGame Status
Brian BranchDBankleNP
Jason CabindaFBkneeNP
Frank RagnowCtoe/resting playerNP
Amon-Ra St. BrownWRabdomenNP
Taylor DeckerTankleLP
Kerby JosephShipLP
Emmanuel MoseleyCBknee/hamstringLP
Julian OkwaraLBshoulderLP
Josh ReynoldsWRgroinLP
Halapoulivaati VaitaiGkneeLP
Jameson WilliamsWRnot injury related**FP
*The Lions did not practice on Wednesday. Practice participation designations for that day are based on estimations.
**Return from suspension

I will predict one play.

They will run the reverse play they ran last week, except Gibbs will fake the pitch to Williams and keep it. As the D will be expecting Williams.
I expect Jameson's presence will allow more big plays from Gibbs. Miami has run a few plays with motion to Tyreek, where the defense moves to follow him, and then Tua pitches the ball to Achane to the other side or runs it up the middle. Here's a 3 yard TD run up the middle when some defenders move towards Hill's motion:

With the return of the groin injury to Josh Reynolds, I think he's a fantasy bench this week. Also, based on stats posted by Bobby from last year, his big games came when Chark was out, so I may look elsewhere long-term.

How do we think DET D is gonna do this week? -10 at home vs. a rookie QB seems like juicy matchup. Drafted them as my backup to Philly D but I'm seriously considering switching to DET D this week. Need the win so afraid to get too cute, but really liking the set up here.

At this point, and based off of what the coaches have been saying, or not saying, I'm actually not expecting anything. So if he does anything it will be a success.

How do we think DET D is gonna do this week? -10 at home vs. a rookie QB seems like juicy matchup. Drafted them as my backup to Philly D but I'm seriously considering switching to DET D this week. Need the win so afraid to get too cute, but really liking the set up here.

Monitor the injury report for progress of SCB/S Brian Branch (ankle.) He’s the glue.

At this point, and based off of what the coaches have been saying, or not saying, I'm actually not expecting anything. So if he does anything it will be a success.

Yesterday WR coach Randall El said sternly when asked "He has had 4 weeks to study the playbook, he better know the plays and better know where he is supposed to be" Thats all.

Seems like something is up with the staff. Might be tough love time.

Yesterday WR coach Randall El said sternly when asked "He has had 4 weeks to study the playbook, he better know the plays and better know where he is supposed to be" Thats all.

Randell El had a ton of good things to say about Jamo and what he brings to the offense. Randel El was more frustrated about the rules which did not allow contact during the suspension. There are many in Detroit media who picks out comments to put in the worse light. I understand the concern, but there is a lot more reason to be excited about Jamo. But this negativity will disappear in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Antwaan Randle El explains what Jameson Williams will bring to the Detroit Lions offense​

After a four-game suspension for gambling, Detroit Lions wide receiver Jameson Williams finally reunited with his wide receivers coach, Antwaan Randle El. The excitement was palpable as Williams greeted his coach with enthusiasm. Randle El, however, didn't hesitate to express his displeasure with NFL rules that restrict contact between coaches and suspended players, deeming it “the worst thing."

Now that Williams is back, Randle El sees tremendous potential in the second-year receiver's ability to elevate the Detroit Lions' already potent offense. While he emphasizes that Williams isn't a “fix-all” solution, Randle El highlights the unique dimension he brings to the team. Williams' speed and downfield running style set him apart.

“We know our offense and putting him back in the mix, how much further we can go,” Randle El said. “And again, I always make sure everybody understands the humbleness part of it. It’s not that he’s the fix all, be all, from that standpoint, but he brings a different element that us and many other teams don’t have just in terms of his speed and the way he runs down the field.”
Despite the optimism surrounding Williams' return, he acknowledges the need to fine-tune certain aspects of his game after six weeks away—four due to suspension and two due to injury. In his second practice back, Williams showed moments of brilliance, albeit with some initial rust. Both Lions coach Dan Campbell and Randle El hold realistic expectations for him this season, with a focus on mastering the playbook and delivering consistent performance.

Randle El believes that Williams has had ample time to study and prepare, making it essential for him to understand the playbook and execute his role effectively. As Williams gradually regains his form, the Lions anticipate his impact on the field, eager to witness the results of his return.

“I’m expecting him to know it,” Randle El said. “You’ve been off, like get in here and know it. You had time to study, and that’s what I would venture that’s what’s going to show up for him, in terms of being where he’s supposed to be, when he’s supposed to be there. Now, when that takes place in terms of him playing, we’ll see what that looks like, but he’s got to get his legs under him and all that stuff and we’ll see what it leads to.”

“If you’re the safety and the corner, you can’t blink because the faster they get on you the deeper you got to get out and now it opens up lanes for everybody else,” Randle El said. “And if you don’t get back then ball’s up, it’s over the top and it’s six points. And it’s not just the deep ball. It’s, ‘Hey, I can catch a shallow route and hit a seam and they got to catch me.'”

Randell El had a ton of good things to say about Jamo and what he brings to the offense. Randel El was more frustrated about the rules which did not allow contact during the suspension. There are many in Detroit media who picks out comments to put in the worse light. I understand the concern, but there is a lot more reason to be excited about Jamo. But this negativity will disappear in a few weeks.

It`s go time!

It sounds like the Lions want to take it slow with Jamo, snap count and all. But I’m also seeing that ARSB and Reynolds are dealing with injuries and could be at risk of missing this week’s game. But I’m also thinking rather than press Jamo into action that Campbell would just have MJJ and Raymond start at receiver and LaPorta would get extra targets instead, and continue to have limited reps for Jamo. Do you Lions fans agree with this?

Thursday Injury report (Pride of Detroit)

No practice on Tuesday

• FB Jason Cabinda (knee)
  • WR Amon-Ra St. Brown (abdomen)
  • DB Brian Branch (ankle)
St. Brown continues to get in some intense work with trainers off to the side of the practice field, but at this point in the week, he is still not seeing practice reps. While not participating in back-to-back practicing is concerning, St. Brown told the media that right now it’s a pain management issue and his goal is to get his body comfortable enough to play this weekend.

“It’s just a little abdominal injury. I’m feeling pretty good,” St. Brown said. “I was running today. I actually think I might have hit one of my top speeds the other day, so I’m feeling pretty good.”

Being the tireless worker that St. Brown is, it’s tough to imagine he might miss a game because of pain, but the team has been very cautious with injuries this season, making sure not to turn a one-week injury into a season-long injury. Still, when asked if he was going to play this week, he said, “That’s my goal, yeah.”

Branch missing a second straight practice is not overly surprising after what we saw from him last Thursday night. As much as he worked to get back in the game, the ankle just wouldn’t cooperate.

Cabinda has not practiced for almost two weeks, which is not a great sign for his availability. Last week the Lions turned to Darrell Daniels to fill in on offense and that may be the solution again this week.

Limited practice

• WR Josh Reynolds (groin)
  • LT Taylor Decker (ankle)
  • RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai (knee)
  • EDGE Julian Okwara (shoulder) — evaluation clock has begun, days remaining: 18
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley (knee/hamstring)
  • S Kerby Joseph (hip)
Reynolds played through his injury last week and getting in two practices this week is an encouraging sign for his potential availability.

Decker continues to trend in the right direction after it looked like he may have suffered a setback last week. He still may not be 100%, but the odds are he is headed toward playing.

Vaitai is also trending in the right direction and his return could get the Lions starting five offensive linemen back on the field again. If Vaitai needs another week, Graham Glasgow has been more than solid starting at right guard in his stay.

Okwara continues to practice as part of his evaluation process but he still technically remains on injured reserve. If the Lions want him to be available this weekend, they’ll need to activate him to the 53-man roster, a move which would likely come on Saturday, if it happens this week. Okwara still has over two weeks of available evaluation time remaining, if he requires it.

Moseley appears to be on track to make his 2023 debut this week, as the Lions plan on giving him limited reps to begin his acclimation process to gameplay.

Joseph also looks on track to play this weekend after missing the last two games. A third practice this week could seal the deal for him returning to his starting role.

Full Practice

• WR Jameson Williams (not injury-related)
  • C Frank Ragnow (toe/rest) — back practicing after a veteran rest day
Williams remains on this list because he is returning to football this week after his suspension was reduced. He is no longer dealing with the hamstring injury he had before his suspension began.

Ragnow was back at practice after getting a veteran day off earlier in the week. Another routine week as Ragnow manages his lingering toe injury.

Most Carries without a rushing TD yet:
  1. (56) Alex Mattison (1 receiving TD)
  2. (53) Bijan Robinson (2 receiving TDs)
  3. (51) Khalil Herbert (1 receiving TD)
  4. (49) Najee Harris
  5. (39) Jahmyr Gibbs

Maybe nothing more than coincidence, but week 2 the Lions were home favorites coming off a win and 10 days off vs a team that beat them last year.

Hopefully that pattern doesn't repeat itself this week.

Hard game to read. Should be able to shut them down and even with Josh R & ARSB at less than 100% I can't see the Panthers stopping them.

(-10) is pretty much uncharted territory for the Lions, who are normally excellent ATS. Last time they were favored by 10 or more was 2017 against the Browns team that went 0-16.

Carolina dog walked us last year. New regime, new QB, RB1, most of the WR corps, just a lot of new players everywhere. They have the worst record in the league and are desperate to find a trading partner to acquire more weapons; they have only 3 picks in 2024 (2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders so GL getting that done.)

You would think Detroit would be highly motivated versus the teamt that effectively knocked them out of the playoff race in dominating fashion. I'm concerned with BB out - one of the reasons we struggled in Carolina last season was DeShaun Elliott was out - but on the plus side Kerby Joseph is back and Emmanuel Moseley will finally be taking the field.

Everyone seems convinced Detroit will lean heavily on the run game. Maybe, but I have a feeling LaPorta could have another double digit target game. Anything from Jamo would be a bonus, I don't expect him to see more than 20 snaps.

The defense has been playing at a very high level. Consistency is key. We know what they're capable of, the challenge is getting up for an opponent who on the surface looks like a walkover. Ford Field should be rocking, hopefully we get off to a good start and don't have difficulty. However, you just never know with the NFL.

Dan Campbell:
  • ARSB will not practice today; will evaluate tomorrow morning where he's at, looking like a GTD
  • Branch likely out and not sure if he'll be ready for the Bucs game Week 6
  • Will Harris could be the nickelback this weekend
    (I don't get it, I think Melifonwu did very good at S last week, would like to see him continue to get snaps; Joseph is back so he and Walker will play 100% of the snaps at FS/SS)
  • Should be a dogfight, you saw what the winless Bears did on the road last night
  • That said should be a "handle our business type game; offense needs to be patient, defense needs to show up"
  • Jameson has been one of the guys, putting the work in, good to have him back
  • St has a bigger impact than people realize, not only as a receiver but as a blocker, drawing coverage off teammates; there's no replacing all of that so it will be WRBC
  • Brian Burns is an elite Edge rusher and they'll have to account for him on every down
  • Vaitai trending toward playing

4. (49) Najee Harris
  5. (39) Jahmyr Gibbs
How many carries for Gibbs from 5 yards out or closer to goal line?
Montgomery is the choice for those.

4. (49) Najee Harris
  5. (39) Jahmyr Gibbs
How many carries for Gibbs from 5 yards out or closer to goal line?
Montgomery is the choice for those.

In20 - Gibbs 6, Monty 19
In10 - Gibbs 4, Monty 11
In5 - Gibbs 1, Monty 6

Gibbs has one RZ target, none In10 or In5; Monty has zero RZ targets (only 3 targets total on the season)

It was bad news last year when St. Brown was injured during the second quarter of the first Vikings game. He attempted to play through it but was ineffective.

Lions ended up losing to the Vikes. Offense struggled mightily against the Patriots and Cowboys in the next two games as St. Brown hobbled around like he had a ten pound anchor attached to his ankle. The Lions lacked other weapons to overcome these Good defenses.

Lions offense gains much of its confidence through him. Lions now though have more weapons in Gibbs. Jamo and Montgomery being an upgrade over Williams and LaPorta taking Hockenson’s place.

Defense is improved though Carolina is unimpressed. They ran the ball down the Lions gullet in a game that the Lions players were preoccupied with the poor field conditions.

The offense did struggle mightily when ARSB was playing only 10 snaps v NE and was incorrectly sent off after 20 snaps v DAL (possible concussion - was in the wake of the criticism following Tia’s multiple games of head trauma.)

They also scored 45 at home v Seattle in an early season loss sans St Brown.

How the Lions can replace their injured players vs. the Panthers

Detroit’s final injury report for Week 5 was discouraging. Two players were listed as out and another two are doubtful for Sunday’s matchup with the Carolina Panthers in Ford Field. There were also eight players officially designated questionable.

The list of the walking wounded includes several key pieces of the team. Guys like left tackle Taylor Decker, right guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai and wide receiver Josh Reynolds are pretty likely to all play despite being listed as questionable; all were full participants in Friday’s practice and appear good to go despite perhaps not being 100 percent. Cornerback Emmanuel Moseley is in line to make his Detroit debut too, though in a limited role.

There are a few who will require some shuffling to cover, unfortunately. Here’s how the Lions can adapt to some of the more important injuries heading into Week 5.

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown​

St. Brown, officially listed as doubtful with an abdominal injury, is a critical loss. He’s the team’s top passing target and catalyst for so much of the offense between the hashes in the intermediate range — where Jared Goff is at his best at quarterback.

Nobody else can offer St. Brown’s blend of toughness and ability to get open quickly and reliably against any type of coverage. Kalif Raymond figures to get some of the opportunities in the quick-hit passing game where St. Brown is used on quick outs and sluggos to keep the stick moving. Josh Reynolds, who is questionable with a groin injury, can also kick into the slot and take some of those targets.

Then there’s Jameson Williams, who is poised to make his 2023 debut. Detroit used Williams in the slot quite a bit during the summer and it was often effective. However, no small part of that effectiveness was due to St. Brown being to his outside flank and commanding coverage attention. Jamo’s speed on the drag routes and corner routes can be useful here.

Getting rookie RB Jahmyr Gibbs more looks as an aligned receiver was another option before he unexpectedly popped up on the injury report as questionable, too.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs​

Gibbs was a full-go all week until Friday, when he was listed as questionable with a hamstring injury suffered in Friday’s practice. Late-breaking injuries and designation are never good.
David Montgomery has already established himself as the clear workhorse of the running game.

Replacing Gibbs means finding someone who can work in the speed game on the outside and also offer pass-catching ability out of the backfield. Despite Craig Reynolds and Zonovan Knight being above him on the unofficial depth chart, that’s a role that fits Devine Ozigbo and his skills.

Ozigbo being promoted from the practice squad and getting work in the more obvious passing situations is one option. Using Craig Reynolds, who has emerged as a good receiver and an effective pass blocker, is another.

Of course, riding Montgomery for 32 carries like what happened in Week 4 works, too.

DB Brian Branch

Losing Branch, who is out with an ankle injury, is quite troublesome. The impressive rookie is Detroit’s primary slot corner but also a versatile piece that moves around different safety spots.

Kerby Joseph trended in the right direction by participating fully in Friday’s practice. He typically starts alongside Branch in the secondary at free safety and can handle the safety duties Branch often shifts into. Tracy Walker will see more action in that mix-and-match capacity of the securities, too.

It’s the specific slot CB role that will be difficult. Veteran Will Harris got those reps against the Packers. He didn’t play well in limited duty and has never engendered much confidence for his coverage out of the slot, however.

This could create a chance for Chase Lucas to step up. The second-year CB is on the Lions for his special teams, but he was primarily a slot corner at Arizona State. His ability to impact the run defense is notable.

Carolina’s primary slot receiver (over 75 percent of snaps) is Adam Thielen, so flexing an extra linebacker onto the crafty veteran isn’t a very good option. Playing more zone concepts is a better choice, particularly with the Panthers’ longest pass play of the season with Bryce Young at quarterback going for just 22 yards. If the Panthers won’t attack deep — or can’t, and Young has thus far not shown any sense of it so far — committing a safety like Walker into a more shallow zone in combination with athletic rookie LB Jack Campbell might be the best solution. If the tight ends (namely Hayden Hurst) aren’t a threat down the field, that can definitely work.

I miss Chauncey Gardner Johnson so much man. This blows that he and Branch are out.

Yeah I’m a little anxious with BB & St both out. Then again the OL starters are healthy again, Kerby will be back after missing two, Jamo & Moseley are making their season debuts.

They say CJGJ had a clean tear and it’s within the range of outcomes he could be back before the season ends + the playoffs. James Houston IV should be back by Thanksgiving. Not expecting much from him but Julian Okwara is on his IR-return window rn.

Overall health of the team is good.

They’re resilient & they have a diversity of leadership. Don’t lack for vocal leaders but also have steady quiet vets who don’t panic. I really like this teams character. When things go sideways they don’t quit. Relentless effort.

Users who are viewing this thread