What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (9 Viewers)

The culture in Detroit has changed. You guys have a ton to look forward to!

And a heads up - yall play in SF next season, maybe we will get a week 1 rematch!
There's no crying in Detroit tonight
Nothing but good times ahead and you got one bad *** Head Coach
He just needs to know when it's time to retreat and kick a FG

-MoP the GM for Detroit...I don't say a bleeping word to DC but I go out and get the best kicker I can afford and just let him know he has a new weapon any time he wants
I also would get him anything else he thinks he needs on Offense, another OL, a 2nd TE although La Porta is plenty, JAMO looks promising, maybe a couple playmakers at DB
I would not rock the boat much here

I would wear a shirt that says I ♥️ Dan Campbell into the office every day just to make sure there is no hazy on where I stand

I waited to post, but this loss was so painful. I truly feel sick right now.

I love what DC has done, and he has gambled all year but when you have a chance to go up 3 scores in the third with a 47 yard FG, then kickoff and have SF start at the 25 with half the third quarter gone..seems like the right decision. Pressure would be on Purdy and SF.

That stop changed the dynamics of the whole game.

Right after they get the bounce off the facemask for a quick TD, then Gibbs fumbled for another quick TD.

You have to put your team in the best position to win regardless if that is how we have done it all year.

Great season..so close yet so far. As DC said it will be twice as hard to get back to where they were today next season..let hope.

I waited to post, but this loss was so painful. I truly feel sick right now.

I love what DC has done, and he has gambled all year but when you have a chance to go up 3 scores in the third with a 47 yard FG, then kickoff and have SF start at the 25 with half the third quarter gone..seems like the right decision. Pressure would be on Purdy and SF.

That stop changed the dynamics of the whole game.

Right after they get the bounce off the facemask for a quick TD, then Gibbs fumbled for another quick TD.

You have to put your team in the best position to win regardless if that is how we have done it all year.

Great season..so close yet so far. As DC said it will be twice as hard to get back to where they were today next season..let hope.
I was rooting for the Lions too since I usually root for underdogs. But I think the Lions are in good shape for an improved year next year. If your OC leaves for a HC gig elsewhere that'll be a problem but a solvable one. Your HC will still be there as will most of the players, who play like hell for their HC.

Lions 3rd quarter:
  • 4th-down drop by Josh Reynolds
  • Kindle Vildor dropped INT --> 51-yard completion Aiyuk
  • 3rd-down drop by Josh Reynolds
  • Lost fumble by Jahmyr Gibbs
  • Punt coverage botched by Chase Lucas
49ers 2nd half possessions:
  • FG
  • TD
  • TD
  • FG
  • TD
  • Downs (end game)
There were plenty other coulda-woulda-shoulda plays but bottom line is the Lions players didn’t make plays when they needed to, and the 49ers players did.

Doesn’t matter, sometimes the other team is just better. Back to player acquisition & replacing coaches, they have a great core group to add to, next season they should have another good team.
Tough loss but great season all around BL. Whole family was rooting for you guys tonight. DC and Detroit will come back stronger next year with this experience to draw upon.

Lions key free agents this off-season:
  • QB Teddy Bridgewater (expected to retire)
  • WR Donovan Peoples-Jones
  • Josh Reynolds
  • T Dan Skipper
  • T Matt Nelson
  • G Graham Glasgow
  • G Jonah Jackson
  • G Halapoulivaati Vaitai
  • DE Charles Harris
  • DE Romeo Okwara
  • LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley
  • CB Kindle Vildor
  • S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Jr.
  • S Will Harris
  • LS Jake McQuaide
  • K Michael Badgley

Costa

The Lions won all year by going for it on 4th and short. Campbell stuck to his guns. They went down swinging.What lost them the game was the Reynolds drop(s), the ball off the facemask and the Gibbs fumble. The series of mistakes lost momentum more than his decision.

Coming into tonight the Lions went 18-21 (86%) on 4th and 3 or less in enemy territory this seasonIt was a big part of their success this year

@NextGenStats
·
4h

Nick Bosa generated a game-high 7 pressures and 2 sacks on 42 pass rushes (16.7% pressure rate), averaging a 2.27-second time to pressure.

Bosa did not generate a single pressure across 18 one-on-one matchups against Lions right tackle Penei Sewell.

@NextGenStats
·
5h

The Lions win probability reached as a high as 90.4% with 8:29 left in the third quarter (leading 24-10 with possession).

Just over 5 minutes of game clock later, the 49ers now have a 59% chance to win the game (with the game tied 24-24).

chart

Lions 3rd quarter:
Yup, that was the game right there. One terrible quarter after playing so well in the 1st half. People will blame the coach but players have to make plays and ours didn't.

Lions 3rd quarter:
Yup, that was the game right there. One terrible quarter after playing so well in the 1st half. People will blame the coach but players have to make plays and ours didn't.
Exactly. I debated this with the guys I was watching the game with. They felt Campbell blew it. I felt the players just failed to make plays.
I would add Jameson Williams not catching the flea flicker to that list. A defender jabbed his right arm just before the ball got there, but that is still a catch he has to make. It's a shame, because Reynolds had been rock solid all year, and Gibbs only had one fumble this year prior to that one. Just unexpected failures, at the absolute worst time.

For arguments sake, I think I kick the FG in the 3rd, just because of the mental strain it puts on the opponent when you are up 3 scores, but it was still a statistically sound decision to go for it. The play was there... Reynolds just didn't make it.

Lions 3rd quarter:
Exactly. I debated this with the guys I was watching the game with. They felt Campbell blew it. I felt the players just failed to make plays.
I would add Jameson Williams not catching the flea flicker to that list. A defender jabbed his right arm just before the ball got there, but that is still a catch he has to make. It's a shame, because Reynolds had been rock solid all year, and Gibbs only had one fumble this year prior to that one. Just unexpected failures, at the absolute worst time.

For arguments sake, I think I kick the FG in the 3rd, just because of the mental strain it puts on the opponent when you are up 3 scores, but it was still a statistically sound decision to go for it. The play was there... Reynolds just didn't make it.

Jamo had an awesome game, his two catches were difficult and the run was fantastic. I think the nudge did throw him off, but it was still catchable. Technically should have been flagged, but they were not calling much so can't complain.

I’m in two minds about all of this. As previously stated we were playing with house money, had exceeded what we wanted and arguably got further along in our story ahead of time. The things are in place for us to continue to improve.

HOWEVER, teams that have been better than us have never ended up in a position of 24-7 ahead at the half in a conference champ game. It’s just such a great position and opportunity to be in to get to a superbowl so in that moment you expectations DO change and it’s hard to swallow not going on to win the game.

I’m fine with us having gone for it. Players just didn’t execute on 3 big plays.

Whether the draft was a success long term we still need to see. It is undeniable that Gibbs/Campbell/Laporta/Branch improved us THIS year and will be good players going forward. That doesn’t necessarily equate to them being the correct choices though, because as time goes along and we need to replace players in more important positions eg Oline, CB or wherever else we still will need to see if we manage to do that successfully whilst having spent high draft capital on an RB/LB/TE. I have faith under Holmes that we can do

Mixed emotions today but very proud of the whole club

You guys had it in the bag. The game just needed to be managed a whole lot better. This is a squandered opportunity no doubt. Lions have the o-line and skill players to dominate TOP and keep their defense fresh at all times. Playing hard and balls to the wall all the time is not needed in certain situations and it looks like the lights were too bright yesterday. Time will tell if this can be repeated but probably not considering the Vikings are solid, the packers look like a top team, and Chicago will probably have Caleb Williams.

Andy Reid and Dan Campbell were two ships passing in the night as to how to manage a game to perfection
I would probably disagree with this. One team made the plays when it mattered more so than the other. I think Campbell has - and will be - getting more criticism than he deserves. The only one I really disagreed with was running Montgomery at the goal line with about a minute left.

You guys had it in the bag. The game just needed to be managed a whole lot better. This is a squandered opportunity no doubt. Lions have the o-line and skill players to dominate TOP and keep their defense fresh at all times. Playing hard and balls to the wall all the time is not needed in certain situations and it looks like the lights were too bright yesterday. Time will tell if this can be repeated but probably not considering the Vikings are solid, the packers look like a top team, and Chicago will probably have Caleb Williams.

Your last statement doesn't make a lot of sense. The Lions probably can't repeat this because the Packers and Vikings are going to repeat this year's performance or be better and Chicago with Williams is a guarantee?

So they make all the adjustments and the Lions make none? Did the Lions forfeit all their picks going forward? All their cap space? Did McNeil, Hutchinson, LaPorta, Gibbs, Branch, St. Brown, Houston, Sewell, Ragnow etc all turn 35 after last night?

Lions 3rd quarter:

When you lose a game like this it is a combo of things. Not getting a stop in second half was a killer.

Sometimes a team has to have what some call luck or good fortune and Purdy had a little of both. Overthrown ball bounce off Lions defenders facemask for a huge gain to the goal line. Also Purdy was rolling left under pressure throws right across his body to the middle of the field, a pass like that is either batter down or picked off 90% of the time and it is completed for a first down. Same type of throws Love was picked off on.

Josh Reynolds catches that one crossing pass 99-100 times...but missed that one.

Needless to say I did not sleep good last night..feel like crap today as I started drinking bourbon in the second half when things were falling apart.

Andy Reid and Dan Campbell were two ships passing in the night as to how to manage a game to perfection
I would probably disagree with this. One team made the plays when it mattered more so than the other. I think Campbell has - and will be - getting more criticism than he deserves. The only one I really disagreed with was running Montgomery at the goal line with about a minute left.

DC does not call the plays on offense. Ben Johnson does.

On goal line or 4th down when DC says go for it, Johnson is the one who calls the play..DC just gives the go ahead.

Hutch was kept off the stat sheet. Not sure how many pressures he had but he was just a quarter step slow a few times. He came in on a tear, can’t complain about the season he had.

Bosa came in with 4 straight playoff games without a sack. Generated 7 pressures & 2 sacks.

49ers averaged 8.3 yards per play in the second half. Scored on 5 straight possessions. Lions defense did a good job in the first half but in the end they just don’t have enough dudes on that side of the ball.

Kicker has been a problem for 3 years. That has to change. Not as important as another pass rusher, outside corner and IOL, but they need to find someone with long range.

Fox was great last night and throughout the playoffs. One FC at the 12, the other was a 74 yarder that should have been down inside the 2.

Dave Fipp is one of best ST coaches in the league.

I thought AG did quite well the last third of the season. Let’s get him more to work with.

Not too worried about the offense. As @fatness mentioned upthread, solvable issue replacing the OC. They’re always coming after your coordinators when you finish top 4, high quality problem to have.

Great season for the Lions. The Superbowl was so close. Bummer they couldn't get that done.

I wonder if you played this game 10 times how often the Lions win? I am thinking more than 50%

DC does not call the plays on offense. Ben Johnson does.

On goal line or 4th down when DC says go for it, Johnson is the one who calls the play..DC just gives the go ahead.
We'd been picking up like 6 yards per run all game. I'm sure they were very confident in picking up the one yard on a play where the 49ers should have been expecting pass.

Hutch was kept off the stat sheet. Not sure how many pressures he had but he was just a quarter step slow a few times. He came in on a tear, can’t complain about the season he had.

Bosa came in with 4 straight playoff games without a sack. Generated 7 pressures & 2 sacks.

49ers averaged 8.3 yards per play in the second half. Scored on 5 straight possessions. Lions defense did a good job in the first half but in the end they just don’t have enough dudes on that side of the ball.

Kicker has been a problem for 3 years. That has to change. Not as important as another pass rusher, outside corner and IOL, but they need to find someone with long range.

Fox was great last night and throughout the playoffs. One FC at the 12, the other was a 74 yarder that should have been down inside the 2.

I thought AG did quite well the last third of the season. Let’s get him more to work with.

Not too worried about the offense. As @fatness mentioned upthread, solvable issue replacing the OC. They’re always coming after your coordinators when you finish top 4, high quality problem to have.

On The Ticket this morning they said Badgley`s range was 54-55 in warmups. So he does have plenty enough leg but even though he was 4-4 since his return they still don`t seem to trust him.

Last edited:

On The Ticket this morning they said Badgley`s range was 54-55 in warmups. So he does have enough leg but even though he was 4-4 since his return they still don`t seem to trust him.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

They shot their shot. Didn’t work out. Josh has to make that catch. Jahmyr can’t have a brain fart and go the wrong way. Chase has tap that ball backwards instead of catching it - have to know where goal line is. Cam and Ceedy have to be sure tacklers. Jamo tracks that flea flicker better it never gets to 4th down.

Lots of blame to go around. Players have to make plays.

On The Ticket this morning they said Badgley`s range was 54-55 in warmups. So he does have enough leg but even though he was 4-4 since his return they still don`t seem to trust him.

They shot their shot. Didn’t work out. Josh has to make that catch. Jahmyr can’t have a brain fart and go the wrong way. Chase has tap that ball backwards instead of catching it - have to know where goal line is. Cam and Ceedy have to be sure tacklers. Jamo tracks that flea flicker better it never gets to 4th down.

For sure, it is never one play.

I kept looking at the score on the TV at half. 24-7..24-7! I really thought Lions are actually going to the Superbowl. My sister lives right outside of LV and my wife and I were going to go just for the hoopla. My sister texted me at half and said look for airline tickets now!

I told my wife and kids if we can get a stop on the first drive and get any points on our first drive Lions will win. Of course none of that happened.

Firsker doesn't step out of bounds

:rant:

Don’t know what to add to what’s already been said. The only call I really disagreed with was the run on third down late, but let’s be real. The game was pretty much lost at that point anyway.

I hope Campbell doesn’t change, and I’m sure he won’t. I love this team and I love the way they play.

Damn. I’m pretty bummed out today but the future sure looks good.

Sorry to see you guys get eliminated, was cheering for you to win it all. Was a good season, good stepping stone hopefully.

Edit to add: Barnwell had a decent article today that Campbell made the right call. Gave the odds, applied the strengths and weaknesses of the teams on top of it, the odds for the kicker, and how the Lions offense had done that day. The straight stats made it a coinflip, but the other game situations favored going for it on 4th.

First four draft picks:

Round 1: No. 29
Round 2: No. 61
Round 3: No. 73 (via Minnesota for T.J. Hockenson)
Round 3: No. 93

These will all be on days 1 and 2 in Detroit.

First four draft picks:

Would you guys expect these to be primarily defensive picks?

The Lions seem somewhat similar to the Broncos when Peyton Manning was slinging 50 TD passes but got crushed in the Super Bowl by the Legion of Boom. It wasn't until they shifted emphasis to defense that they got a ring.

First four draft picks:

The Lions seem somewhat similar to the Broncos when Peyton Manning was slinging 50 TD passes but got crushed in the Super Bowl by the Legion of Boom. It wasn't until they shifted emphasis to defense that they got a ring.
The offense is mostly there except for OL depth. I would expect 3 of the 4 picks to be on defense.

Final 4 NFL teams total cap space per over the cap:

TeamCap SpaceEffective Cap Space*Dead Money
Baltimore13.7 million5.2 million789K
Detroit58.6 million (7th most)45.3 million (7th most)1.4 million
Kansas City28.5 million19.1 million457K
San Fran(-2.9 million)(-11.8 million)6.0 million

*Represents the maximum cap space a team will have when it signs at least 51 players to its roster for that season.

Detroit Lions draft picks for 2024​

• Round 1: No. 29 overall
  • Round 2: No. 61 overall
  • Round 3: No. 73 overall (from Minnesota)
  • Round 3: No. 92 overall
  • Round 5: No. 162 overall
  • Round 6: No. 206 overall
  • Round 7: No. 246 overall

First four draft picks:

they need defense and their 2 starting guards are free agents...so some oline depth to go with defense

Don’t know what to add to what’s already been said. The only call I really disagreed with was the run on third down late, but let’s be real. The game was pretty much lost at that point anyway.

I hope Campbell doesn’t change, and I’m sure he won’t. I love this team and I love the way they play.

The run on third down and goal was unforgivable and unfortunately casts shade on the other decisions.

The run on third down and goal was unforgivable and unfortunately casts shade on the other decisions.
That was Ben Johnson calling the play.

A lot to look forward to with this team Detroit fans - very tough loss but the Lions have talent everywhere, to the point I don’t think they need to bring in anyone on offense. That offensive line is unreal.

I think the question is how they will address D. I hear so many say invest in the secondary first and foremost but I think if they can add a few talented players to the D Line the secondary will benefit immensely.

Great season.

Final 4 NFL teams total cap space per over the cap:
49ers will be fine. According to Forbes, the 49ers could save an estimated $69 million by restructuring Williams, Armstead, Kittle, Warner, Samuel, and Hargrave before the 2024 offseason.

The cap is so easily manipulated, its almost like there isn't much of a cap.

Just realized I’m in a period of grieving. Hard to watch any of the talk shows or be on this board.

Have no real desire to watch the SB at this moment have no desire to root for either the Niners or Mahomes.

So hard for Dan Campbell last night to give the post game. Head was bowed down throughout.

Just realized I’m in a period of grieving. Hard to watch any of the talk shows or be on this board.

Have no real desire to watch the SB at this moment have no desire to root for either the Niners or Mahomes.

So hard for Dan Campbell last night to give the post game. Head was bowed down throughout.

I’m not really down today. When we kicked the FG at the end of the 17 play, 68 yard drive at the end of the first half, I immediately thought of the 1957 Western Conference Playoff game at Kezar Stadium.

49ers led 24-0, 24-7 at the half, and 27-7 after the first possession of the second half. Lions won 31-27.

After Josh Reynolds dropped the first 4th down when it was 24-10, I stopped watching on the big screen. Put on my noise canceling headphones and watched it on my laptop on the kitchen. I made a couple of batches of almond milk, ate a bowl of chili, washed the dishes. A few feet away everyone in the living room was losing their minds.

I knew what could happen. By the time the onside kicked bounced off Craig Reynolds I was already past anger, denial and bargaining. Been oscillating between depression and acceptance for the last 16 hours.

My initial reaction was their guys made plays and our guys didn’t. It’s the best Lions season of my life.

It hurts. But at the end of the day, it’s sports. There is always a winner and a loser. And there are a lot of things that matter more in life than me going to see the Super Bowl.

A week ago I woke up to find a message from an acquaintance that he wanted to buy me a Super Bowl ticket. That was an incredibly generous & magnanimous gesture, and of course I replied gratefully. I checked air fare and hotel prices daily.

But I was also cognizant the whole week that the odds were not in my favor. Even at halftime I didn’t allow my mind to go there.

It didn’t work out. All that was beyond my control, and when that’s the case, I have to accept it.

The team brought me a lot of joy the past season and a half. The Detroit Lions have never gone 22-8 over any 30 game stretch of my life. I’m at peace, I am glad I was able to have that experience.

NFCCG PFF Grades

Offense:
  • Penei Sewell 92.2
  • David Montgomery 81.3
  • Frank Ragnow 78.9
  • Sam LaPorta 75.3
  • Jared Goff 73.3
  • Amon-Ra St Brown 73.0
  • Jameson Williams 72.5
  • Graham Glasgow 70.3
  • Taylor Decker 69.0
  • Jason Cabinda 66.9
  • Donovan Peoples-Jones 60.3
  • Craig Reynolds 58.6
  • Antoine Green 56.6
  • Anthony Firsker 55.0
  • Jahmyr Gibbs 53.2
  • Kayode Awosika 53.2
  • Josh Reynolds 51.6
  • Dan Skipper 31.9
Defense:
  • Brian Branch 77.0
  • Alim McNeill 71.6
  • Alex Anzalone 71.5
  • Malcolm Rodriguez 71.0
  • Ifeatu Melifonwu 63.5
  • Tyson Alualu 63.3
  • Kerby Joseph 61.8
  • Anthony Pittman 60.0
  • Derrick Barnes 60.0
  • Benito Jones 56.2
  • Kindle Vildor 55.1
  • Aidan Hutchinson 53.7
  • Jack Campbell 49.9
  • Levi Onwuzurike 49.5
  • James Houston IV 49.2
  • Will Harris 47.1
  • Josh Paschal 45.9
  • Romeo Okwara 45.5
  • John Cominsky 44.4
  • Jalen Reeves-Maybin 44.4
  • Cameron Sutton 36.1
  • C.J. Gardner-Johnson 33.9
16 missed tackles - 3 each by CJGJ & Sutton. SF had 9.

Best run defenders - Anzalone, Sutton, Campbell, Melifonwu were all above 70

Pass Pass Rush - McNeil & Hutch were the only 2 to grade above 70

Coverage - Rodriguez 78.1, Branch 77.1

I feel exactly the same. I just want to get home and go to work.

Users who are viewing this thread