What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (15 Viewers)

This segment from Kyle Meinke is pretty spot on:

http://videos.mlive.com/mlive/2015/12/watch_detroit_lions_reporters_61.html#incart_river_index(6:33 mark)

• Caldwell is an outstanding organizer
  • Great leader of individuals throughout the week
  • Able to construct/help construct an effective game plan
  • When the bullets start flying, radip decision making with time management, quick decision play calls, adjustments - he flounders, and that's his biggest weakness
  • In 29 games as HC of the Lions, his strategic blunders in game have cost them 4-5 games
The good news takeaway from Fail Mary is I think that's the nail in the coffin. It wipes out all the good will of winning three straight, and negates anything that happens over the last 25% of the season.
This is exactly what I've always said about Caldwell. He's a poor man's Andy Reid.

What I've never understood is why a coach like that can't just recognize his limitations and bring in an assistant who specializes in game management. Essentially a CEO/COO type of relationship. Play to your strengths and delegate your weaknesses.

I can only assume it's because of the traditional football culture that venerates HCs as gods among mortals. Why should they voluntarily give up power like that? It would emasculate them.

One day a coach will figure it out, win a couple Super Bowls, and then maybe other teams will start to copy the model. But by that point Jim Caldwell's NFL career will be long over.

Aaron Donald had as many sacks as Eric Ebron had catches. Ebron looks like a clown out there.

I watch every Lion game and have yet to see Caldwell talk during a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monday Presser from Coach Caldwell:

-- On if losses along offensive and defensive line in the offseason was underestimated, Caldwell said he never looks at it that way and refuses to make excuses.

-- Team is still evaluating adding another tight end. Caldwell said the team will continue to play to Eric Ebron's strengths.

-- Asked if it's OK that Calvin Johnson wasn't involved, Caldwell said, "losing isn't OK."

-- Caldwell said most teams aren't able to carry over previous season success into the next season. Basically, you have to start fresh every year.

-- On giving up so many rushing yards against St. Louis, Caldwell said the team didn't do a very good job "playing on their side of the line of scrimmage," making good run fits or tackling.

-- "This next game is the most important game of the year because it's the next one."

-- Caldwell does say the coaching staff will change their approach with the players now that the team is eliminated from the playoffs. It's important to emphasize the group can't quit because they're disappointed. He's confident with the makeup of the team, but says there may a guy or two that who will slack off and they'll be replaced by an eager, young player who is ready to play.

-- Despite being eliminated from the playoffs, the approach will be the same.

-- When Brandon Pettigrew went out, the team had to make some adjustments to the game plan.

-- Pettigrew tore his ACL and will be out for the season.

-- Caldwell declines to comment on Eric Ebron's complaints about officiating.

-- Caldwell says he's never believed the Lions don't get the benefit of the doubt from officials.

-- On Manny Ramirez starting, Caldwell drops his first, "every week is different."

-- Caldwell didn't see any issue with the effort against the Rams.

-- On Matthew Stafford's struggles getting the ball down the field, Caldwell said that's always difficult to do that consistently. Against the Rams, there were a variety of reasons, including pass-rush pressure and poor route running.

-- Caldwell said his goal is still to "win now." We did that last year. We're working hard to be more consistent with that this year.

Previously on the misuse of Calvin Johnson: 'We let the defense dictate what we can do'.

Now it's: Asked if it's OK that Calvin Johnson wasn't involved, Caldwell said, "losing isn't OK."

Totally ignoring the question might actually be a step above admitting that you have no balls and allow the other team to push you around.

Fire this idiot.

Payton's ties to those in Lions' GM search raises speculation

Allen Park — Saints coach Sean Payton has deep ties to the two men at the center of the Lions' general manager search.

Lions interim general manager Sheldon White's first job after his NFL career was as an assistant coach at Miami (Ohio) where he and Payton worked together in 1994-95.

Payton later became an assistant with the New York Giants from 1999-2002 when Ernie Accorsi was general manager. Accorsi is advising the Lions in their search for a new GM.

With the Saints (5-8) likely heading toward back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since Payton took over in 2006, people have started speculating about his future in New Orleans. If for some reason he loses his job and the Lions fire Jim Caldwell, Payton's connection to Accorsi would surely stir speculation in Detroit.

That's certainly premature now, but Payton had good things to say about both White and Accorsi in his teleconference Thursday. And when asked about the possibility of working with White again, Payton didn't take the bait.

"Here's the trick question, right?" he said. "You guys are something else. Listen, the hard thing in our league, and it's the same kind of to some degree even with players, you really get so focused in the moment right now and how to predict if your paths would ever cross again.

"I think (White is) a fantastic worker, and sure, you would never rule out possibilities as to where you might, down the road, meet."

Payton said he and White started at Miami, White's alma mater, within a week of each other in 1994. White coached wide receivers, Payton coached quarterbacks and the two shared an office.

jkatzenstein@detroitnews.com

What would people think of Payton ? He seems like a total ****, but I'm far from being against hiring a complete %^&*@! if he's one that has a winning mentality and puts a winning team out on the pitch.

What would people think of Payton ? He seems like a total ****, but I'm far from being against hiring a complete %^&*@! if he's one that has a winning mentality and puts a winning team out on the pitch.
Obviously he's done very well with his opportunity in NOLA. I wasn't that impressed with him when he was with the Giants. He actually lost his job as play caller when he worked for Fassel. They went on a winning streak that led to their SB run after making that move.

He'll be THE hot name for a team with a young QB looking for a coach. I would think Indy, Miami and Tennessee would love to hire him.

Liked the shots of a pensive Martha & Sheila in the box during the 4th quarter last night. Can feel the hate for Caldwell growing.

Everyone knows Ernie Accorsi as the guy ran the Giants GM (1998-2007), but he has a decent track record as a consultant. Hired the Panthers GM two years ago, with the stipulation Rivera was going to be retained. Hired the Bears GM last year.

My predictions: in 13 days, Jim will be thanked for his two years of service, we wish you nothing but success in your future endeavors. Three weeks from today we'll be discussing the new GM, and his initials will not be SW.

Merry Christmas!

Liked the shots of a pensive Martha & Sheila in the box during the 4th quarter last night. Can feel the hate for Caldwell growing.
I always liked your posts on the board and I knew you were one of the more dedicated Lion's fans around here.

I wouldn't necessarily say I am a huge Lion's fan, but I have always liked underdogs, and if any team is one of those , one would think the Lions are certainly one.

Had Stafford on my fantasy teams there for a couple years, bought into the hype, never again btw. I don't blame that all on Stafford though.

He was really on fire there for a year or two.

Anyway, my two "favorite" underdog teams to root for are The Lions and Cleveland. Two teams that will likely never see any real success anytime soon, at least in the next 3-4 years.

NOTE- Cleveland may never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, and i'm 44. LOL

Last night as I had the game on, I remember Caldwell's face coming up on screen, and I couldn't help but shake my head.

We can't blame ALL of the Lions troubles on Caldwell, but from the scarce time I have watched the team (admittedly its essentially ALL fantasy related) the last few years, it seems he has made a number of bad decisions. I can remember a number of boneheaded play calls near the end of games, and I don't get it.

I never could figure out why they didn't just get rid of him.

Look, they certainly have the money, I'm getting the feeling they are more apt to hire someone that "fits in with the Lions brass, and is a good ###-kisser" versus a rock solid head coach.

How else can we explain Jim Schwartz...? :excited:

Regardless, I think Caldwell is just about done.

I think he was on borrowed time when they started all the house cleaning a while back, and I just don't see where he will be a part of the organization next year.

If he somehow returns, I will be truly surprised.

TZM

Great article on these idiots running the Lions. http://www.theoaklandpress.com/sports/20151222/pat-caputo-win-over-new-orleans-doesnt-remotely-cure-what-is-ailing-the-detroit-lions

The worst thing that can happen to this franchise is winning the next 2 games.
Pat Caputo is fat, self-hating whiner. That entire diatribe could have been written 15 years ago. His negative, loathing schtick hasn't changed his entire career. He's the less articulate version of Drew Sharp. Unlistenable on WXYT. Haven't heard or read a coherent thought from him in 30 years.

Thanks for sharing though!

Great article on these idiots running the Lions. http://www.theoaklandpress.com/sports/20151222/pat-caputo-win-over-new-orleans-doesnt-remotely-cure-what-is-ailing-the-detroit-lions

Pat Caputo is fat, self-hating whiner. That entire diatribe could have been written 15 years ago. His negative, loathing schtick hasn't changed his entire career. He's the less articulate version of Drew Sharp. Unlistenable on WXYT. Haven't heard or read a coherent thought from him in 30 years.

I think that analysis is spot on. If they keep Caldwell, what he says will in fact happen. They will be able to beat the worst of the worst and lose to anyone competent. Hiring a guy with no balls is a recipe for disaster. Keeping him after he shows that he has no balls gets you more of the same ole Lions.

I think that analysis is spot on. If they keep Caldwell, what he says will in fact happen. They will be able to beat the worst of the worst and lose to anyone competent. Hiring a guy with no balls is a recipe for disaster. Keeping him after he shows that he has no balls gets you more of the same ole Lions.
I don't want to dox you, Pat, but it's starting to make sense now.

I don't want to dox you, Pat, but it's starting to make sense now.
I see what you did there. Enjoy Caldwell.

Biggest problem imo with keeping Caldwell is it limits the quality of GM willing to come to the Lions.

Most GMs don't want the old lady owner telling them that if they want the job they have to keep her boyfriend.

Calvin Johnson has one 100 yard game this season. Seems like a pretty low bar for the Pro Bowl.

Ziggy Ansah has been a dominant force. Well deserved, and chances are he only gets better.

Darius Slay had a pretty stout 8 game stretch, but his poor play was a big part of their 0-5 start. I'm OK with getting snubbed. Hope he is pissed off and keeps working hard. Man he sucked as a rookie. Been fun to watch him develope through improved technique. Not sure which coach deserves the credit but impressive turnaround.

I feel good about Diggs and Lawson - they have stepped up in the second half. Desperately need a DT.

The O-line is a disaster. Not even sure we have foundation pieces to build around. Their best lineman (Ola) was in the street a couple months ago. Tomlinson played better, at times, as the season progressed. It's a mystery to me why Ramirez never supplanted Swanson; very disappointed with their 2nd year center. Reiff, Waddle and Warford all had poor seasons.

Lotta work for whoever Accorsi brings in.

Detroit Lions– Efficiency was the name of the game for Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford (+2.5), who made very few mistakes as the Lions cruised to a big halftime lead. He didn’t attempt a single pass beyond 10 yards, but finished the game with a positive grade on plays where he was under pressure, and completed a whopping 88 percent of his passes.

– With Calvin Johnson (-0.5) almost a non-factor, it was up to Golden Tate (+2.0) to pick up the slack, and he did just that. This was the perfect type of game for the Lions to get the ball in his hands on quick passes and let him do the rest, and he finished the evening having caught all six passes thrown his way for 45 yards and two touchdowns, with 41 of his 45 yards coming after the catch.

– Two players stood out as having good days in the defensive backfield, and it’s good news for the future of the defense that it was young stars Darius Slay (+2.0) and Quandre Diggs (+2.6). Slay wasn’t flawless, giving up eight receptions for 94 yards, but he did have two pass breakups, including one in the end zone late in the fourth quarter. Rookie Diggs was targeted nine times on Monday night, giving up just three receptions for 12 yards.

Top performers:

LT Riley Reiff +3.0

CB Quandre Diggs +2.6

QB Matthew Stafford +2.5

CB Darius Slay +2.0

WR Golden Tate +2.0

Biggest problem imo with keeping Caldwell is it limits the quality of GM willing to come to the Lions.

Most GMs don't want the old lady owner telling them that if they want the job they have to keep her boyfriend.
You hire a quality GM to make the call on Caldwell or you might as well have Marth Vader coach the team herself.

The O-line is a disaster. Not even sure we have foundation pieces to build around. Their best lineman (Ola) was in the street a couple months ago. Tomlinson played better, at times, as the season progressed. It's a mystery to me why Ramirez never supplanted Swanson; very disappointed with their 2nd year center. Reiff, Waddle and Warford all had poor seasons.

Most interesting thing I heard on MNF was Gruden saying that Sean Payton's biggest strength was designing pass protections.

Stafford is no Brees but a little more time in the pocket would improve things quite a bit.

BobbyLayne, on 22 Dec 2015 - 9:58 PM, said:Calvin Johnson has one 100 yard game this season. Seems like a pretty low bar for the Pro Bowl.

Ziggy Ansah has been a dominant force. Well deserved, and chances are he only gets better.

Darius Slay had a pretty stout 8 game stretch, but his poor play was a big part of their 0-5 start. I'm OK with getting snubbed. Hope he is pissed off and keeps working hard. Man he sucked as a rookie. Been fun to watch him develope through improved technique. Not sure which coach deserves the credit but impressive turnaround.

I feel good about Diggs and Lawson - they have stepped up in the second half. Desperately need a DT.

Had Mayhew drafted Donald instead of Ebron he would still be here. So would Lewand. 7-9 or better is job security in Detroit.

Although the Saints’ defense is not the best measuring stick, the quality of the Lions’ pass catchers was on display on Monday Night Football. Both teams are eliminated from playoff contention, shifting the focus to their outlooks for 2016. The Lions’ have some issues on the offensive side of the ball—not least on the offensive line—but few teams can boast the kind of playmaking threat in the passing game that Detroit can provide. Specifically, the wide receivers and running backs are amongst the most difficult to cover in the league.

Contrasting styles by complementary pieces
Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate have significantly contrasting styles, but both are among the best wide receivers in the NFL. Johnson is currently our 11th overall receiver, with 72 catches for 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns. The threat he poses downfield is almost unmatched. On deep targets, Johnson has nine receptions from 26 passes for 298 yards, two touchdowns, and no drops. In contrast Tate has been targeted just seven times on deep shots. That’s just 6.3 percent of his total targets, way down in comparison to the 21.8 percent of Johnson’s targets that are 20+ yards downfield. Tate is yet to catch a pass from those downfield shots.

Although Tate (28th in our WR grades) lacks the ability to threaten defenses vertically, he more than makes up for that with his ability in the intermediate game. Of his 720 yards, 488 have come after the catch. Only 193 of his yards have come on passes more than 10 yards down the field. The commitment to feeding Tate the ball is a wise strategy; his 23 broken tackles lead all wide receivers this season. Opposite him, Johnson has broken just a single tackle in 2015, and has accumulated less than a third of his yardage on throws within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Although they have contrasting styles, Detroit’s duo of starting receivers complement each other perfectly.

Backfield threat
To go with the threat posed on the perimeter, the Lions have a group of running backs who are outstanding in the receiving game. It all starts with Theo Riddick, who holds the best receiving grade amongst all running backs this year. He has numbers of 69 catches for 605 yards, three touchdowns, two drops, and 27 broken tackles. No other back can better Riddick’s 27 broken tackles in the passing game, and he has the third-best drop rate (2.82 percent) at the position.

Although only a bit-part player in comparison, Ameer Abdullah has flashed serious potential in the receiving game, too. He owns the 27th best grade in that facet of play, with 17 grabs for 146 yards, one touchdown, one drop, and six broken tackles.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/22/pro-passing-game-playmakers-give-lions-hope-for-future/

Lions HC with a winning record since the AFL-NFL merger:

Joe Schmidt, 43-35-7 (.558) from 1967-72

Gary Moeller went 4-3 (.571) in seven games as interim Lions coach in 2000.

Jim Caldwell, 17-14 (.548)
“They believe, and I believe, the time is now,’’ Caldwell said. “Not two years or three years from now down the road somewhere. We’re right here, right now.’’

- Jim Caldwell, January 15, 2014

See ya, Jim.

According to an Internet poll on MLive.com yesterday, 62.7% of Lions fans want Jim Caldwell back.

Calvin Johnson and other players spoke out in support of the HC.

Stafford wants to keep working with Cooter.

President Wood says the decision will be in the hands of the new unnamed GM.

I'm clinging to those words.

I swear to gawd Allen Park is bizarro world.

According to an Internet poll on MLive.com yesterday, 62.7% of Lions fans want Jim Caldwell back.

62.7% of the fans also don't know great football actually exists somewhere on this continent.

BobbyLayne, on 30 Dec 2015 - 5:41 PM, said:According to an Internet poll on MLive.com yesterday, 62.7% of Lions fans want Jim Caldwell back.

There is no doubt in my mind that Shelly White will be the next Lion GM and it will be business as usual in Allen Park. That it the Lion way and they don`t know any other way to operate.

Such a lions move to retain caldwell
I get the reasons people don't like him, but they made the playoffs last year. This year was disappointing, but they are finishing stronger after the most difficult early season schedule in the NFL. The season would look a lot better if they didn't have to take their annual 2 LOLions Ls. Can they just go one season without 2 WTF end of games?

Best 2 season win totals 1934-2015

1934-35 17-6-2

1952-53 19-5-0

1953-54 19-4-1

1961-62 19-8-1

1969-70 19-8-1

1990-91 18-14-0

1991-92 17-15-0

1993-94 19-13-0

1994-95 19-13-0

1999-00 17-15-0

2013-14 18-14-0

2014-15 18-14-0

Best 3 season win totals 1934-2015

1934-36 25-10-2

1952-54 28-7-1

1960-62 26-13-1

1969-71 26-14-2

1970-72 25-15-2

1991-93 27-21-0

1993-95 29-19-0

2013-15 25-23-0

The franchise had 9 consecutive winning seasons 1931-39, which includes their first 6 seasons in Detroit. Since 1940 they have had 12 back to back winning seasons, the last occurrence 20 years ago.

The Lions are one of four NFL franchises (and the only NFC team) to never appear in the Super Bowl.

Lions' Ford: No decision on Caldwell's future yet

New GM will have final say on whether Caldwell returns in 2016, president Rod Wood reiterates

CHICAGO - Jim Caldwell has the winningest record by a Detroit Lions coach in the first two seasons of his tenure, but owner Martha Firestone Ford is not ready to bring him back for a third season just yet.

Asked about Caldwell's job status after today's season-ending 24-20 win over the Chicago Bears, Ford said, "I haven't gotten that far yet," before declining further comment.

Caldwell is 18-15 in two seasons as Lions coach, including a playoff loss to the Dallas Cowboys last year.

The Lions started 1-7 this season, but won six of their final eight games to finish in third place in the NFC North.

While players have publicly pleaded for their coach to return and many within the organization and across the NFL expect Caldwell back for a third season, the Lions are leaving his future in the hands of their next general manager, president Rod Wood reiterated today.

"The GM search will start in earnest tomorrow," Wood said. "We'll be requesting interviews beginning tomorrow. I'm not sure when we'll get them scheduled and nothing's changed with the process of the GM still selecting and deciding on what's going to happen to the head coach."

Wood said interim GM Sheldon White will interview for the job and is "absolutely a candidate," but he declined to discuss other names.

The Lions are expected to request permission to interview a half dozen or so candidates, and Wood said they hope to make a hire "as soon as possible."

"I've been working with Ernie since the day we engaged him," Wood said, referring to consultant Ernie Accorsi, the former general manager of the New York Giants and Cleveland Browns. "A lot of the groundwork has been laid, we just had to wait till end of the season before we could really start the next step so we're ready to go."

NFL rules require the Lions to wait until after the regular season to interviews GM candidates currently employed by other teams. Candidates on playoff teams can be hired during the postseason.

Baltimore Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta, Green Bay Packers director of player personnel Eliot Wolf, Jacksonville Jaguars director of player personnel Chris Polian, Kansas City Chiefs director of football operations Chris Ballard, Houston Texans director of player personnel Brian Gaine and Minnesota Vikings assistant general manager George Paton are among those the Lions have an interest in interviewing, and the National Football Post reported New York Giants assistant GM Kevin Abrams could interview as well.

Abrams and Accorsi worked together for eight seasons with the Giants, and Caldwell and Polian spent three years as coach-GM with the Indianapolis Colts.

Wood said it's important for the GM to decide on Caldwell's future because "it's one of their main functions of their job."

The GM will have total control of football operations, and Wood said the Lions have identified the qualities they want in their hire.

"We're looking for somebody who can help come in and build a winning program for the long haul," Wood said. "And hopefully somebody that can take what we have on the field now, which obviously we demonstrated the second half of the season that we've got talent and build on it and produce a winning team next year and the years beyond."

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett

The Lions' 2016 schedule is complete.

The NFC West opponent for the home schedule, St. Louis, and the NFC South opponent for the road schedule, New Orleans, were determined Sunday.

Dates for the Lions schedule will be announced in April.

Home opponents: Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Washington, Jacksonville, Tennessee, St. Louis

Away opponents: Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, New York Giants, Houston, Indianapolis, New Orleans

The Lions' 2016 schedule is complete.

The NFC West opponent for the home schedule, St. Louis, and the NFC South opponent for the road schedule, New Orleans, were determined Sunday.

Dates for the Lions schedule will be announced in April.

Home opponents: Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Washington, Jacksonville, Tennessee, St. Louis

Away opponents: Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, New York Giants, Houston, Indianapolis, New Orleans
AFC South and NFC East. You get the 2 worst divisions in the NFL on your schedule That's how a mirage forms and you think you have turned the corner. Sorry Lions. Would be better off if you got the NFC West and AFC East.

The Lions finished 6-2 against teams with losing records. They were 1-7 against teams with winning records.
Exactly. Smoke and mirrors, 7 win season. Regression from smoke & mirrors 2014. 9-0 vs teams with losing records. 2-6 vs team with winning records. Only to be made worse by the fact that they draw the AFC South and NFC East next year.

The Lions finished 6-2 against teams with losing records. They were 1-7 against teams with winning records.
Exactly. Smoke and mirrors, 7 win season. Regression from smoke & mirrors 2014. 9-0 vs teams with losing records. 2-6 vs team with winning records. Only to be made worse by the fact that they draw the AFC South and NFC East next year.
2014 they were 10-1 against teams with a losing record - lone loss was @ 7-8-1 Carolina - and 1-5 against teams with a winning records (beat Packers at Ford Field.)

Lions win dropped them about 5 spots in the draft. They're last in the five team 7-9 group as they had the toughest schedule.

1. Tennessee Titans: 3-13 (.492)
2. Cleveland Browns: 3-13 (.531)
3. San Diego Chargers: 4-12 (.528)
4. Dallas Cowboys: 4-12 (.533)
5. Jacksonville Jaguars: 5-11 (.473)
6. Baltimore Ravens: 5-11 (.508)
7. San Francisco 49ers: 5-11 (.539)
8. Miami Dolphins: 6-10 (.469)
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 6-10 (.484)
10. New York Giants: 6-10 (.498)
11. Chicago Bears: 6-10 (.548)
12. New Orleans Saints: 7-9 (.504)
13. Philadelphia Eagles: 7-9 (.508)
14. Oakland Raiders: 7-9 (.512)
15. St. Louis Rams: 7-9 (.528)
16. Detroit Lions: 7-9 (.536)
17. Atlanta Falcons: 8-8 (.478)
18. Indianapolis Colts: 8-8 (.500)
19. Buffalo Bills: 8-8 (.508)
20. New York Jets: 10-6 (.441)

I have mixed feelings about Caldwell. I don't think he's a great coach, and I'd be fine if the new GM decides to fire him (although that's looking unlikely as of now), but as I posted in another thread, the hate has gone way too far on this guy. It's like a Titans-Pats game where NE is favored by 23.5; you don't think the Titans will win, but at that value you want to bet the spread.

The fact is, in terms of his record Caldwell has been a pretty damn successful NFL coach. He went 24-8 his first two years in Indy, and then the wheels fell off in a season where his QBs were Painter, Collins and Orlovsky. He's gone 18-14 in Detroit, and his 7-9 record this year could (and probably should) have been 9-7. Yet people are constantly looking for ways to discount whatever he's done.

My theory is that it's a combination of two factors. One, his strengths (building a staff, motivating players) are not as apparent to fans, while his biggest weakness (game management) is on full display every Sunday. Two, much like Art Shell, his demeanor on the sideline is so stiff and robotic that it creates an impression that he's passive and a do-nothing coach.

Anyway, assuming he sticks around for next year, it will definitely be a big test for him, especially if he has to replace Austin as DC. And I'm not at all confident Detroit can win a Super Bowl with him, though, to be fair, Detroit could hire the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi and I wouldn't be confident (Come to think of it, they kinda did.) Then again, I wasn't confident Joe Flacco could win a Super Bowl, especially not when the Ravens fired their OC late in the season and brought in someone new. That move worked out OK for them.

The fact is, in terms of his record Caldwell has been a pretty damn successful NFL coach. He went 24-8 his first two years in Indy, and then the wheels fell off in a season where his QBs were Painter, Collins and Orlovsky. He's gone 18-14 in Detroit, and his 7-9 record this year could (and probably should) have been 9-7. Yet people are constantly looking for ways to discount whatever he's done.
All fine until you read Bobby Layne post of who they beat. They beat other losers. They can't beat contenders. Caldwell has zero balls. That's why they lose to good teams. He won't be aggressive like he needs to be in order to beat the best.

Futz said:
BobbyLayne said:
Stafford in a nutshell.
And it's been the personality of the franchise for decades. When they're good, they're beating up on weak sisters. They win 9-11 games, squeak into the playoffs, lose in the first round. Next year they have a tougher schedule and it's back to 5-7 wins and oh with a coupe breaks we could have been right there. It was the same every other year pattern virtually the entire Fontes - Ross era. Then it was a lost decade under Millen (with lingering aftershocks), back into the same pattern under Swartz - Caldwell.

Never good enough for a deep run, never bad enough for a complete tear down / rebuild. Barry, Herman Moore & a couple other good players aren't all that dissimilar from Calvin & Stafford in terms of the net result. Not a formula for a championship run but unlikely to completely tank.

They're bums, but they're my bums. Just once before we die, Martha.

Futz said:
BobbyLayne said:
Stafford in a nutshell.
And it's been the personality of the franchise for decades. When they're good, they're beating up on weak sisters. They win 9-11 games, squeak into the playoffs, lose in the first round. Next year they have a tougher schedule and it's back to 5-7 wins and oh with a coupe breaks we could have been right there. It was the same every other year pattern virtually the entire Fontes - Ross era. Then it was a lost decade under Millen (with lingering aftershocks), back into the same pattern under Swartz - Caldwell.

Never good enough for a deep run, never bad enough for a complete tear down / rebuild. Barry, Herman Moore & a couple other good players aren't all that dissimilar from Calvin & Stafford in terms of the net result. Not a formula for a championship run but unlikely to completely tank.

They're bums, but they're my bums. Just once before we die, Martha.
Agree with everything. But it's still a hell of a lot better than 0-16.

Users who are viewing this thread