What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (5 Viewers)

Saw on twitter/X a suggestion that the Raiders should look at trading for a young QB stuck on someone else depth chart. It's a fun thought, that probably never becomes reality. But the name specifically mentioned was Hooker.

A quick run through the depth charts, others could be; Desmond Ridder (ARZ), Penix (ATL - HAHAHA), Tyler Huntley (Browns), Trey Lance (Dal), Stidham (Den), Davis Mills (Hou), Jacoby Bissett, Malik Willis (Ten)...

To be clear, I'm not advocating for this. Just seemed like a fun topic to shoot around.
It could make sense to bring in a project. It should be AOC/Minshew all year but a guy like Lance or Willis where there is natural talent that could potentially develop into a starting QB level.... if you get them on the cheap, sure. Penix isn't going anywhere and AZ just traded for Ridder.

Penix was a joke to make fun of the poor decision by Atlanta! haha
I wanted hooker :oldunsure:

I doubt det gives up on him yet. This year will be his first true injury free season. It’d be cool to bring another young guy but why trade for one? One unknown is as good as another. Let the UDFA and the fodder from other teams duke it out on the practice squad

Not a young guy but tannehill is out there.

Saw on twitter/X a suggestion that the Raiders should look at trading for a young QB stuck on someone else depth chart. It's a fun thought, that probably never becomes reality. But the name specifically mentioned was Hooker.

A quick run through the depth charts, others could be; Desmond Ridder (ARZ), Penix (ATL - HAHAHA), Tyler Huntley (Browns), Trey Lance (Dal), Stidham (Den), Davis Mills (Hou), Jacoby Bissett, Malik Willis (Ten)...

To be clear, I'm not advocating for this. Just seemed like a fun topic to shoot around.
It could make sense to bring in a project. It should be AOC/Minshew all year but a guy like Lance or Willis where there is natural talent that could potentially develop into a starting QB level.... if you get them on the cheap, sure. Penix isn't going anywhere and AZ just traded for Ridder.

I doubt det gives up on him yet. This year will be his first true injury free season. It’d be cool to bring another young guy but why trade for one? One unknown is as good as another. Let the UDFA and the fodder from other teams duke it out on the practice squad

Sign the best looking QB from the UFL when their season ends and give him a shot (AJ McCarron?)

The second round of FA is off and running....

A few positions that we could/need to go to the bargain bin....

QB- There really isn't anything to compete for starter but Tannehill is still available and could add good depth.

WR- We really need depth. Gallup? Maybe Boyd but if I am getting a WR now, I would prefer a guy that can only lineup outside versus a guy that is only a slot guy we have plenty of guys who can go slot if need be.

OT- We drafted some OL and I think we are well covered inside. I wouldn't mind a vet to compete. Becton could be interesting though I am not sure he can play RT or is a LT only guy.

CB- I am not 100% confident that Bennett can lineup as a starter and Hobbs, I think, is best in the nickle spot. Nelson? Gilmore? Howard? Herndon? Wallace? Jackson? Two of them?
Raiders signed WR Michael Gallup to a one-year, $3 million contract.
Gallup made his rounds during the legal tampering period but ultimately went without a contract through the NFL Draft. That is, until the Raiders signed him to a one-year “prove it” deal Monday. Considering the Raiders are thin at the position behind Davante Adams and Jakobi Meyers, Gallup could push for starters snaps out of 11-personnel to start the season, assuming he can beat out Tre Tucker and Kristian Wilkerson. The one-year contract is worth up to $3 million.

QB- There really isn't anything to compete for starter but Tannehill is still available and could add good depth.

WR- We really need depth. Gallup? Maybe Boyd but if I am getting a WR now, I would prefer a guy that can only lineup outside versus a guy that is only a slot guy we have plenty of guys who can go slot if need be.

OT- We drafted some OL and I think we are well covered inside. I wouldn't mind a vet to compete. Becton could be interesting though I am not sure he can play RT or is a LT only guy.

CB- I am not 100% confident that Bennett can lineup as a starter and Hobbs, I think, is best in the nickle spot. Nelson? Gilmore? Howard? Herndon? Wallace? Jackson? Two of them?
Gallup made his rounds during the legal tampering period but ultimately went without a contract through the NFL Draft. That is, until the Raiders signed him to a one-year “prove it” deal Monday. Considering the Raiders are thin at the position behind Davante Adams and Jakobi Meyers, Gallup could push for starters snaps out of 11-personnel to start the season, assuming he can beat out Tre Tucker and Kristian Wilkerson. The one-year contract is worth up to $3 million.
I am happy with that. A 1-year prove it deal. He was a legit deep threat for the first few years but injuries derailed him. He trended in the right direction last year but is far from what you would want out of a $55 million 5 year contract, thus his release. Low risk, good upside on a cheap deal. Love it. If healed up then he can add some good snaps... if not, not that big of an investment to ride the bench.

Wonder how often the Raiders will be in 11 personnel with both Mayer and Bowers. This seems like a crusher for any possible Gallup fantasy value (without injury ahead of him), since the QB situation isn't great and Adams, Bowers, and Meyers will all presumably be clearly ahead of him in the target pecking order. But he could be a quality WR3 in real life.

I am happy with that. A 1-year prove it deal. He was a legit deep threat for the first few years but injuries derailed him. He trended in the right direction last year but is far from what you would want out of a $55 million 5 year contract, thus his release. Low risk, good upside on a cheap deal. Love it. If healed up then he can add some good snaps... if not, not that big of an investment to ride the bench.

Perfect vet depth WR signing with upside. Love it as well.

Wonder how often the Raiders will be in 11 personnel with both Mayer and Bowers. This seems like a crusher for any possible Gallup fantasy value (without injury ahead of him), since the QB situation isn't great and Adams, Bowers, and Meyers will all presumably be clearly ahead of him in the target pecking order. But he could be a quality WR3 in real life.
I think by the time FF rolls around the top 2 guys to go early will be Zamir White and Brock Bowers , the Adams then Meyers , after that who knows

Sign the best looking QB from the UFL when their season ends and give him a shot (AJ McCarron?)
I think they’re temporarily satisfied at QB with Brown and Bradley as their developmental guys.
It would make no sense to bring in another vet. AOC and Minshew are going to battle it out and I bet throughout the season we’ll see both guys start games at some point.

I think CB is their thinnest spot right now. I’m not sold on Bennett or Facsyon either. Shoot, Jack Jones still needs to show more IMO. Let’s see how he does as a day one starter. I’d like to see them make a run at Gilmore. A solid vet would do a lot to solidify that group. The guys they drafted seem to be developing guys and most likely depth and/or ST players if they make the roster.

I am thinking you are going to want to try to stretch the field a good amount of plays. You really are going to look at Tucker or Gallup. If Gallup is healthy and the level he was before injury, he will get some snaps for sure. And on top of that, though I am a huge advocate of going heavy on 11 personnel with Bowers and Mayer but you also have to switch it up.... go spread with Adams, Meyer, Gallup and Tucker there to give teams a different look.... but I want them to err on the side Bowers and Mayer as I don't think teams can match up against that effectively as most teams are geared towards defending 3+ receivers.

If they were smart, they would try to trade Mayer to Jets for 2025 1st. Jets would have taken him at 1.15 if Will McDonald had not been available. Given how all-in the Jets are, and with Conklin/Ruckert as their TE's, seems like the Jets might bite on that offer.

I think CB is their thinnest spot right now. I’m not sold on Bennett or Facsyon either. Shoot, Jack Jones still needs to show more IMO. Let’s see how he does as a day one starter. I’d like to see them make a run at Gilmore. A solid vet would do a lot to solidify that group. The guys they drafted seem to be developing guys and most likely depth and/or ST players if they make the roster.
I have no worries about Jones. What he showed coming off cold from another team mid season and picking up the system on the fly... that was enough for me.

Facsyon is a good depth guy but you can't have him starting. Jones and Hobbs are starters.... we need a third outside guy. I am not sure who that is. I think Nelson, Gilmore and Howard all have declined recently in ability.... how much of a decline though? Can they still be a reliable starter? I dunno

I have no worries about Jones. What he showed coming off cold from another team mid season and picking up the system on the fly... that was enough for me.

Facsyon is a good depth guy but you can't have him starting. Jones and Hobbs are starters.... we need a third outside guy. I am not sure who that is. I think Nelson, Gilmore and Howard all have declined recently in ability.... how much of a decline though? Can they still be a reliable starter? I dunno
I’d feel better with one of those three you mentioned even if their skills have declined. The hope is Bennett can be a starter but whether he can’t due to performance or injury, it would be nice to have a guy like Gilmore to turn to.

I’m really enjoying these podcast videos Crosby is putting out. Very candid and refreshing.

Davante - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9cHmu2TrN
Minshew - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AsmXD7Xb8v0&t=1432s

AP - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLJVu8DRIg
Oh man...i love Minshew , hes sooooo joe cool . He`s nothing you would expect an NFL QB to be like , his laid back demeanor , living in a van down by the river , you would think he was a complete stoner the way he acts , like a Spicoli in fast times . The Raiders are not just building a team ripe with talent, they are creating a team with electrifying personas , this is going to be a wild ride Raider Nation, enjoy it .

Zay Jones released. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back.
When I saw that he was released, I wondered if it had happened before we signed Gallup, if we would’ve opted for Jones instead.
I thought the same thing but after thinking about it further, I don’t know that either will make much of an impact on the team. The WR room is solid and adding Brock as the big slot WR makes the room look fantastic.

Not the Raiders but interesting and also shows tbe impact of FA'S signing with us versus some other teams...

Detroit Lions star WR Amon-Ra St. Brown will only net $15.7M of his record-breaking $30M salary after taxes & fees:

- $11.1M: Federal Tax
- $900k: Agent Fee
- $894k: Jock Tax
- $703k: FICA/Medicare
- $637k: Michigan Tax

Via Andrew Petcash.

I was ridiculed for saying they should go with O'Connell and maybe that is justified, but here we are. Minshew could beat him out, but maybe not.

I was ridiculed for saying they should go with O'Connell and maybe that is justified, but here we are. Minshew could beat him out, but maybe not.
IF AOC wins the job, the raiders coaching staff will be ridiculed if he doesn’t perform well. You’re not alone.

Just because they didn’t obtain a qb via the draft or trade or whatever doesn’t suddenly make any of us AOC converts. He’s still exactly what he was before, a middling, stone footed, slow processing, young qb, With a pretty good arm. Nice kid. Works hard. We’ll see.

I fully expect uncle Rico to win the job and to be the starter.

IF AOC wins the job, the raiders coaching staff will be ridiculed if he doesn’t perform well. You’re not alone.

Just because they didn’t obtain a qb via the draft or trade or whatever doesn’t suddenly make any of us AOC converts. He’s still exactly what he was before, a middling, stone footed, slow processing, young qb, With a pretty good arm. Nice kid. Works hard. We’ll see.

But what about the report that he would have been a top 10 pick this year based on what he showed last year?

He did reasonable well last year, but I still can't believe anyone can say that with a straight face.

But what about the report that he would have been a top 10 pick this year based on what he showed last year?

He did reasonable well last year, but I still can't believe anyone can say that with a straight face.
AOC is a solid backup. He isn’t mobile at all but his biggest challenge last year was his processing speed. If that improves, he could be a solid starter in the NFL since he does have a great arm. The battle between AOC and Minshew for the starting QB position should be fun to watch. Unfortunately, LV is still stuck in the Carr tier of QB talent.

AOC is a solid backup. He isn’t mobile at all but his biggest challenge last year was his processing speed. If that improves, he could be a solid starter in the NFL since he does have a great arm. The battle between AOC and Minshew for the starting QB position should be fun to watch. Unfortunately, LV is still stuck in the Carr tier of QB talent.
The game usually slows down for players entering their 2nd season.

I don't think anyone ridiculed, just had other preferences. I myself said I'd understand the temptation to see if we had a gem first, and if not go all in next chance we get.

I really don't get some of the AOC hate. Count me as someone who is good with giving him another year to see if he can build upon what he showed last year. He showed a lot more than just having a good arm. But I suppose beauty is in the eye.

Hope so. But uncle Rico will probably win the spot

I’m not sure they even have Carr level talent. @Chadstroma MARK IT DOWN CHAD. :lmao:

@LawFitz I don’t think anyone has “hate” for AOC. He wasn’t supposed to be in that position. The dreamboat crashed and burned and he was thrown into the fire. He was ok. We’ll see what a year of growth looks like. :shrug: but that qb room is mid. At best

:shrug: but that qb room is mid. At best

Based on last year, with an unprepared rookie AOC, sure.

Let's see what a fully-prepped 2nd-yr AOC with Bowers-Powers to upgrage the weapons and blocking look like before we call it mid 'at best.' If you had said mid at worst, I'd agree.
We’re definitely in a wait and see situation. But when both the qbs on the roster would most likely be a backup on every other team in the league. That’s mid. At best.

ETA: they can win with middling qb play. But the rest of the team needs to ball out.

I am guilty of writing off Minshew once I heard he had been signed but the more I've read about his past seasons (including college) the more I'm loving this signing.

First year he had a decent rookie year on a bad Jax team after being forced into a starting role thanks to Foles getting hurt.

Second year he started and played through a busted thumb (which pissed off the HC since he didn't say **** about his thumb)

Third and fourth year's in Philly he was obviously never there to take over for Jalen.

Fifth year he was more than serviceable for the Colts and helped lead them into the playoffs.

He lit it up his final year at WSU under Mike Leach, and while I'm not a Leach fan I do love me some air raid offense.

I am guilty of writing off Minshew once I heard he had been signed but the more I've read about his past seasons (including college) the more I'm loving this signing.

First year he had a decent rookie year on a bad Jax team after being forced into a starting role thanks to Foles getting hurt.

Second year he started and played through a busted thumb (which pissed off the HC since he didn't say **** about his thumb)

Third and fourth year's in Philly he was obviously never there to take over for Jalen.

Fifth year he was more than serviceable for the Colts and helped lead them into the playoffs.

He lit it up his final year at WSU under Mike Leach, and while I'm not a Leach fan I do love me some air raid offense.
He’s incredibly likable and is absolutely a gamer. Here’s hoping!

He had the second best season last year behind CJ Stroud of all the rookie QB's starting last year.

He had the second best season last year behind CJ Stroud of all the rookie QB's starting last year.

AOC showed flashes of his preseason self more and more as the season wore on, save for the Chiefs and Vikings games, where, to be fair, two of the more exotic defensive systems had his head spinning. But again, let's see what's what if/as the game slows down and the offense around him improves.

I hope he’s great. But y’all making me smile.

So you’re telling me you’d rather have AOC over every other rookie qb from last year? 😂

Users who are viewing this thread