What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (6 Viewers)

I believe the Dolphins are between a rock and a hard place with Tua. On the one hand he could be one concussion away from the broadcast booth and if you invest a long term contract in him, that could be devastating. On the other hand, you're in a win now situation and may feel obligated.
He gets a contract is where I’d place my bets

I believe the Dolphins are between a rock and a hard place with Tua. On the one hand he could be one concussion away from the broadcast booth and if you invest a long term contract in him, that could be devastating. On the other hand, you're in a win now situation and may feel obligated.
You think?

-I love what Grier said..."Yeah we hope to have a contract before training camp opens" ...weak sauce

That should have been a HUGE warning signal that Grier is seriously considering QBs in the Draft and I know nobody likes the guy i like but Penix is going to do well in the NFL and he coems at the end of the 1st/early 2nd, that's dirt cheap for 4 years and you don't have to dismantle the whole team.

-If Tua does not net a couple 1st round picks in a trade then he isn't worth $250M, that's where I stand.
I have a feeling that behind closed doors there's a lot of shuffling going on

Jerome Baker released.

:pickle::pickle::pickle:
He actually did pretty well according to PFF, he stunk in pass coverage but I prefer my MLB shut down the run and he was effective doing that.

-As I always say, who is filling this spot...right now Miami has a HOLE at Cornerback, X is gone and that's fine, looks like NT/DT in Wilkins, now MLB...where we getting all these guys from with not much cap space either...we don't do well in the Draft

I'm not 3 pickles on this, sorry

You think?

-I love what Grier said..."Yeah we hope to have a contract before training camp opens" ...weak sauce

That should have been a HUGE warning signal that Grier is seriously considering QBs in the Draft and I know nobody likes the guy i like but Penix is going to do well in the NFL and he coems at the end of the 1st/early 2nd, that's dirt cheap for 4 years and you don't have to dismantle the whole team.

-If Tua does not net a couple 1st round picks in a trade then he isn't worth $250M, that's where I stand.
Miami is far from the only one in this position.

Bucs - do you pay Mayfield $40+ million a year off one solid season ? If you don't who is your QB?

Vikings - same spot with Cousins, 36 at the start of the season and coming off an achilleas injury. But if you don't resign him do you waste one of Jefferson's prime years with some journeymen?

Then you have those with no QB - Falcons (Ridder): Broncos (Stidham); Raiders (O'Connell); Patriots (Zappe/Jones); Steelers (Pickett); Commanders (Howell)

That does even go into the teams that have QB's signed to deals that they will likely regret (Giants; Browns; Seahawks)

Jerome Baker released.

:pickle::pickle::pickle:
He actually did pretty well according to PFF, he stunk in pass coverage but I prefer my MLB shut down the run and he was effective doing that.

-As I always say, who is filling this spot...right now Miami has a HOLE at Cornerback, X is gone and that's fine, looks like NT/DT in Wilkins, now MLB...where we getting all these guys from with not much cap space either...we don't do well in the Draft

I'm not 3 pickles on this, sorry
Miami's weakness was over the middle. Baker was one of the reasons for this. CB can be had in FA (has Miami ever not gotten the guy they want at corner?).

Wilkins will be a loss if he goes. I hope he wants to come back and Miami can make the numbers work. We shall see.

Anyone excited about Jonnu Smith? Seems like the perfect TE for the McDaniel system.

Miami is going to have to get younger and cheaper at O line and most of the Defense. Money is being taken up by 4 main guys: Ramsey, Tua, Hill, and Chubb.

You think?

Bucs - do you pay Mayfield $40+ million a year off one solid season ? If you don't who is your QB?

Vikings - same spot with Cousins, 36 at the start of the season and coming off an achilleas injury. But if you don't resign him do you waste one of Jefferson's prime years with some journeymen?

Then you have those with no QB - Falcons (Ridder): Broncos (Stidham); Raiders (O'Connell); Patriots (Zappe/Jones); Steelers (Pickett); Commanders (Howell)

That does even go into the teams that have QB's signed to deals that they will likely regret (Giants; Browns; Seahawks)
"Then you have those with no QB - Falcons (Ridder): Broncos (Stidham); Raiders (O'Connell); Patriots (Zappe/Jones); Steelers (Pickett); Commanders (Howell)"

-I love you bud, you just gave me a great idea for a new thread title and wouldn't any one of those want to trade a couple 1st Rounders for Tua?

You think?

"Then you have those with no QB - Falcons (Ridder): Broncos (Stidham); Raiders (O'Connell); Patriots (Zappe/Jones); Steelers (Pickett); Commanders (Howell)"

-I love you bud, you just gave me a great idea for a new thread title and wouldn't any one of those want to trade a couple 1st Rounders for Tua?
I can answer that for you, none of them. Because if you are going to give up two number ones you can likely move up in the draft and get one of the top guys and have them on a rookie contract. Outside the top elite guys (Mahomes, Allen, Burrow) I don't know if any QB is getting you 2 number ones given what you then need to pay them. Lamar was MVP this year and when he was available a franchise player last year no one would do it. It's not because the picks are that valuable it's because you are giving up the picks and have to pay on top of it. If you could trade Tua and the other team only had to pay what they would be paying those two #1 picks I bet you could do it in a heart beat. Tua has shown enough teams would rather have him then reaching on Maye/McCarthy/Penix/Nix. Williams I have been saying for 3 years is going to be a generational talent and elite, I think his floor is Prescott so I don't think a team is trading that pick and the more I hear on Daniels it sounds like some consider him that special as well, i honestly haven't watched much of him. Do you thin Carolina would rather have Tua then Bryce Young? Damn straight but probably not at $45 million a year.

Wilkins is off to Las Vegas

$110M over 4 yrs. $84M guaranteed
1st Rd pick, 5 years and Pro Bowl level just allowed to flee thru free agency
There is no doubt the Miami Dolphins are going backwards now

There is no reason to keep Hunt or Van Ginkel, just a waste of money all the way around, Phins are going nowhere
Make Tua play on the 5th Yr or let him sit out, maybe someone wants to trade for him, the start of the rebuild is in full swing

Shame they get nothing for Wilkins as he walks out the door, good luck in Vegas

Last edited:
21st and 55th is all Miami is working with, don't forget Ross was docked not only the 1st
But also the 3rd this season so we're still suffering for tampering and trying to throw games from the prior HC and current GM/Owner

-Miami is taking big steps back with Wilkins walking, obviously they think offense can overcome bad defenses and we know the truth
Plus this offense was not that good last half of the season, Tua had like 12 pass TD last 10 starts
He did nothing to will this team thru the Playoffs, I know the frostbite atmosphere of KC but that could have been avoided with a win or two that we let slip away regular season.

Let's not sugar coat it, huge loss for Miami and even if they plug the hole at 21 with several different players, they aren't getting better by replacing Wilkins.
And feels like a player we should have traded if we thought we couldn't afford him, even a 2nd or 3rd to recoup some of the loss felt here.
Another bad mark IMO on Grier and the front office.

Shame they get nothing for Wilkins as he walks out the door, good luck in Vegas
A 3rd round comp pick for Wilkins. His contract qualifies. For Brandon Jones, a likely 6th round comp. Jones has bad coverage skills, good run stopper. Wilkins was also a volume guy, playing more than most DTs, so we never developed good backups.

Draft oline and try to outscore everyone.

So no one on the roster to rush a QB until mid season?
If we're lucky. Achilles injuries are hard to predict. More optimistic about Chubb returning in form. Low priced veterans and UDFAs will have to do.

Miami has a tough OOD schedule, HOU, JAX, CLE, SF, GB, LAR, IND might also be good. Unless Tua plays better vs good teams, is this another rebuild starting?

Was never going to favor spending that kind of money on Wilkins, but he did improve in some aspects of his game over the past couple of years.

The sky is falling.

We hope Easy E becomes the 3rd WR, Cracraft the 4th, Cam Smith becomes a starting CB, draft an IOL & ILB. In June, we get $18mil more in cap space from X's release; then we can bid for 2nd and 3rd tier FAs for OL, DL, etc.

>>Dolphins need 2 starting DTs, starting corner, starting safety, two starting guards, starting inside LB, starting center and 2 heavy usage edge players capable of starting. And 3 backup WRs. Otherwise set.<<

All 4 FAs I had the same reaction: "Gonna miss him, but that's an overpay".
The only one I would say I could kinda see was AVG for 10m AAV, but he's more a glue guy than a real talent.

Once we consider that Chubb and Phillips will likely either be not playing or at least nowhere near 100% at the start of the season, it's hard to believe how much we're missing from last year. That's what, 5 of the 6 best players (pretty much only Ramsey still around) from a unit that was merely "pretty good" when at full strength last year.

This is going to be brutal.

Brewer-Center 3yr/$21M
Jordyn Brooks-LB 3 Yr/$30M

Not much fanfare in these signings
Feels like the Zonk prizes on Let's Make a Deal
Brewer was 11th ranked C overall, great as a run blocker, poor as a pass blocker. Has G experience. The hope is he will continue to improve, he became a FT center last year. He was undrafted. Per reports, Brooks is a good tackler vs the run, bad vs the pass. Former 1st rounder. Both are 26.

These deals cancel the 5th and 6th round 2025 comp picks for AVG and Jones. The Brewer pickup gives time to evaluate Connor Williams.

BTW, before we signed Connor Williams, Elliot, and Long in the past, I didn't know who they were. Except that Connor was penalty prone. We still have holes, especially on defense.

Brewer-Center 3yr/$21M
Jordyn Brooks-LB 3 Yr/$30M

Not much fanfare in these signings
Feels like the Zonk prizes on Let's Make a Deal
Brewer was 11th ranked C overall, great as a run blocker, poor as a pass blocker. Has G experience. The hope is he will continue to improve, he became a FT center last year. He was undrafted. Per reports, Brooks is a good tackler vs the run, bad vs the pass. Former 1st rounder. Both are 26.

These deals cancel the 5th and 6th round 2025 comp picks for AVG and Jones. The Brewer pickup gives time to evaluate Connor Williams.

BTW, before we signed Connor Williams, Elliot, and Long in the past, I didn't know who they were. Except that Connor was penalty prone. We still have holes, especially on defense.
An IOL be it C/G that can't pass block when you have Tua as your starting QB is pretty much useless.

No matter how you slice it, not replacing Wilkins, AVG, Jones and X on Defense, also cut Baker and Ogbah for good reasons but I thought some of it was to sign Wilkins
None of these comp picks will replace any of the big free agents we lost.
LG-C-RG right now is a mystery...Robert Jones was brought back, Liam Eichenberg makes nobody feel good as a potential starter, Miami OL looks worse than last year for sure.
Holes everywhere on defense, this team is going nowhere in '24, 3 years in a.row no Playoff wins for Wonderboy, neither the coach or the QB

The entire rebuild that started when Fitzmagic was here is now over and done, no Playoff wins to show for any of it
And yet Grier is still here making critical decisions on the Miami Dolphins future for the next 3-4 years.
His track record of drafts is not good, the players he did hit on just left the building.

LG-C-RG right now is a mystery...Robert Jones was brought back, Liam Eichenberg makes nobody feel good as a potential starter, Miami OL looks worse than last year for sure.
The homer hope is that McDaniel and Frank Smith and Butch Barry can continue to improve players on the oline. Austin Jackson was a lost cause and then he became worthy of an extension. Connor Williams was average as a guard in DAL and then he became a top center in the league. Robert Hunt was already on an upward trajectory, but now he has 100,000,000 reasons to be thankful for his time in Miami. If Miami drafts someone NFL-ready like Jackson Powers-Johnson, and brings back Kendall Lamm, I'd feel better about our oline. Plus Jonnu is our best combo TE in years.

The homer hope is that McDaniel and Frank Smith and Butch Barry can continue to improve players on the oline. Austin Jackson was a lost cause and then he became worthy of an extension. Connor Williams was average as a guard in DAL and then he became a top center in the league. Robert Hunt was already on an upward trajectory, but now he has 100,000,000 reasons to be thankful for his time in Miami. If Miami drafts someone NFL-ready like Jackson Powers-Johnson, and brings back Kendall Lamm, I'd feel better about our oline. Plus Jonnu is our best combo TE in years.
1st of all, I need someone to counter all my doomsday outlook, you're doing a great job of it :lol:

-Brewer has played all 3 of the IOL positions, Center all last year but he's logged a lot of snaps at RG/LG
Now imagine if they were to bring Connor Williams back even on a 1 year deal while he rehabs a torn ACL, he might be ready by Week 1, October latest.
Miami has signed 2 LBs, there was Anthony Walker, former Colts/Browns nobody really mentioned.
You brought up Smith, not sure this offense works for the TE spot, he can run block but he's never been much of a receiving threat, 25-35 catches, 50 last year was a career high

And just for S&Gs, I did a mock draft and accepted several trades to move down. Turned 21/55 into 57, 69, 78, 84 and 119, and 2025-1st and 2nd
Braswell-Edge Bama, Wilson- LB NC St, Kris Jenkins-DT Michigan, Javon Bullard-Safety GA, Ellis-Edge Utah and the point is Miami could in theory rebuild a lot of their F7
And frankly I don't see where they have much choice.
Replacing in the Draft does not fill the shoes of Wilkins, let's be clear
Miami has to draft in order to plug holes on players lost in FA, they're not getting better
We watched KC get younger mostly on Defense and passed on skill guys to help Mahomes, they still win B2B titles, it's just Miami has Tua and it's not enough to overcome things.

Welp - they’ve completely overhauled the LB positions. But coming from the days of Elandon Robert’s & Jerome Baker that’s not saying much.

There needs to be a heavy focus on DLine & Oline in this draft.

I am plenty ok not giving Wilkins $27,5m, Hunt $20m, or either the Jones or AVG contracts (to a lesser extent). Happy for those guys, but I think those are just bad deals.
Brewer seems like a good signing, gets out and pulls well and looks like he'll be an asset in the run game McD wants to run. The pass blocking is a big concern though.
Tua is a bit on the smaller side and it seems like teams that really gave him problems got pressure up the middle. I feel like we have seen the same with other smaller QBs, and the ones that succeed like Brees, or Russ in Seattle, had strong IOL to protect against that. Looking like a downgrade on the IOL so far, but maybe the draft changes that. Hopefully it's an area Brewer improves.

I like that he has not missed a lot of time with injuries. That will be a novelty with this OL.

Yeah. I think it is lot more likely that Barry can turn chickenshit into chicken salad than all of these guys suddenly because high-end starters.

1st of all, I need someone to counter all my doomsday outlook,
Hi MOP,

Ok, lets look at this for what it is: losing Wilkins and Hunt hurts, but DT and OG at those prices isn't what any team should be sad about. Miami proved with Wynn that they can find unconventional talent and move it from tackle to guard. AVG hurts as well, but not as much and let's face it, the defense is about to undergo its third change in 3 years. I'd rather have Ramsey than X.

Jonnu smith is a get. In talking to a buddy of mine down here (who does business with JS) he thought he was going to be a bengal right up to the point where he signed with Miami.
The two LBs and the Center are decent guys at those prices.

Finally, Miami has won day one of FA how many times these past 10 years with nothing to show for it. Them seemingly having a plan and taking the "New England" route to FA is ok by me.

Are the Jets any better off? Well AA will be back this year so maybe
The Bills just had their own fire sale
Pats are in a rebuild with Brissett as the Bridge QB....

Shaq Barrett is the 1 year AVG replacement (1 year $9m). Release guy, so he doesn't threaten the 2 comp 3rds.

I interrupt this FA discussion to ask a question I figure only the regulars of this thread can help with:

My youngest, who turns nine on May 1, has become a huge football fan over the past year. I'd love to do some kind of Dolphins-themed party for his birthday, but aside from the obvious (custom Publix sheet cake!) what is actually possible?

Like if I'm dreaming up an ideal scenario, we can do it at Hard Rock, the kids get to run around on the field, and a current/former player shows up. But is any of that remotely realistic? (And for the record, we do OK financially but are nowhere near the "pay a $10K appearance fee" kind of rich. Not to mention that if I ever did pay out that kind of money for a birthday party, I would regret not having it available to pay my attorney when my wife filed for divorce the next day).

I interrupt this FA discussion to ask a question I figure only the regulars of this thread can help with:

My youngest, who turns nine on May 1, has become a huge football fan over the past year. I'd love to do some kind of Dolphins-themed party for his birthday, but aside from the obvious (custom Publix sheet cake!) what is actually possible?

Like if I'm dreaming up an ideal scenario, we can do it at Hard Rock, the kids get to run around on the field, and a current/former player shows up. But is any of that remotely realistic? (And for the record, we do OK financially but are nowhere near the "pay a $10K appearance fee" kind of rich. Not to mention that if I ever did pay out that kind of money for a birthday party, I would regret not having it available to pay my attorney when my wife filed for divorce the next day).
Should at least do an inquiry here: https://www.hardrockstadium.com/host-your-event/#

I would guess prices are pretty high.

My sister in law got me a cameo from Yachtley Crew for my birthday. We went to see them that night at the Whiskey and it was awesome. The cameo was funny (and unexpected) and I got a birthday shout-out at the show.
Maybe get your son a cameo from a player he really likes? I never thought much of them, but it was pretty cool as a gift.

Shaq Barrett is the 1 year AVG replacement (1 year $9m). Release guy, so he doesn't threaten the 2 comp 3rds.
So washed, Tampa wanted nothing to do with him and they had stacks of cash going into the off season
lol - do you think they are going to get names without dings at this point?
Sad, remember when they stripped it bare for a rebuild? I guess for all of that sacrifice and starting 0-9 or whatever, no playoff wins and now we look for Vets off injury w/warts
Fun being a Miami Dolphin fan
When does Grier get released or fired? After the Draft?
That would be about right for this organization

Chris Perkins just dropped a column
"Miami Dolphins are on pause in '24"

-No reason to really watch much of what they do right now, it's all gonna be gone in a year or two, Tua extension will be a mistake
Only smart thing would be to extend Waddle before he turns sour under a 5th yr option and all that noise.
Tyreek last season this year? Might as well clear the books, gonna be some unhappy campers when the season starts

Tyreek last season this year?
Cmon MoD… have an edible and sip a chocolate stout.
It’s still early .. they’ve restructured a bunch of players… got under the cap. Some FA got HUGE bags… AVG was a fan favorite, I’d like to have kept him. If B Jones plays like he did last year he is not gonna be missed.

They’ve done some nice bargain shopping and if they retain the 2 3rd round compensation picks they’ll be ok.
I Ike what I’ve seen from Brewer & Brooks. Jonnu should be be able to open things up and the Barrett Poyer one year deals make sense. I wanted Poyer last year.

Users who are viewing this thread