What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 NBA Playoffs Contest!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Yo Mama

Footballguy
Hey NBA nerds, time for some playoff predictions. No money involved, but board cred is eternal.

Here’s how I’m thinking we do this. Pick the total (cumulative) number of wins each team wins throughout the playoffs.

For example, if you think the Celtics are winning it all this year, you would predict 16 wins for them. If you have the Nuggets losing in the finals in six games, you would predict 14 wins for them. If you have the Suns losing the first round in six games, you predict 2 wins for them.

Combined closest to the pin wins all the glory.

Tie breaker is the combined final game score of the last finals game.

Question to vote on if you’re interested - do we include play-in games in the contest? If so, all entries would be due before games start tomorrow (4/16). For example, if you have the Hawks winning it all, you would predict them with 18 wins (2 play-in and 16 playoff wins).

If we don’t include play-in, picks are due Friday evening (4/19).

Let me know if you’re interested and what we should do with play-in.

Google sheet :

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am in interested but since I have watched maybe a total of 48 minutes of NBA basketball this year I would need a list of the brackets to even know what teams are in the playoffs. But I fully expect to win because I am not tainted by any knowledge of who is good or not.

Also, will it be "Price is Right" rules (closest without going over)?

I am in interested but since I have watched maybe a total of 48 minutes of NBA basketball this year I would need a list of the brackets to even know what teams are in the playoffs. But I fully expect to win because I am not tainted by any knowledge of who is good or not.

Also, will it be "Price is Right" rules (closest without going over)?
Awesome - glad to have you!

No, it’s not price is right. If a team wins 7 games, a prediction of 6 games has the same variance as a prediction of 8 games.

Here’s the bracket. I’ll have a google spreadsheet set up later today.

Here are my totals (assuming play in is counted)

Denver - 16
Boston - 15
Milwaukee - 11
OK City - 10
NY Knicks - 7
Orlando - 6
Phoenix - 6
Clippers - 6
Golden State - 4
Dallas - 3
Minnesota - 3
Cleveland - 3
Lakers - 3
Philly - 2
Miami - 2
Indiana - 2
Chicago - 1
Sacramento - 0
Pelicans - 0
Atlanta - 0

Tie Break: Final Score Nuggest 124 vs Celtics 111

ETA: I think I spent more time on coming up with these totals than I did watching actual NBA action this year.

Last edited:
My unofficial tally is 8-2 in favor of play-ins (including me).

Unless we get a flurry of super-fake mail in votes or bamboo ballots from Hugo Chavez against play-ins, sounds like we’ll include it.

I’ll have a google sheet set up later today for people to put their picks in.

Oh, are we sure no money involved??

I have some QUARTERS!!!!!111 to burn from my recent thrashing of seven unlucky FDGs.

I have some QUARTERS!!!!!111 to burn from my recent thrashing of seven unlucky FDGs.
Yeah, mainly because I’m way too lazy to pass money around. Side bets between participants is fine though.

Yeah, mainly because I’m way too lazy to pass money around. Side bets between participants is fine though.
My work week isn't bad* so I'd be happy to spearhead and organize in anybody wants to play for a few bucks.

*Knock on wood.

My work week isn't bad* so I'd be happy to spearhead and organize in anybody wants to play for a few bucks.

*Knock on wood.
I’d prefer to keep it Free, For All. But if people want to do a side pot for whoever’s interested, have at it.

Reactions: Zow
Let me know if anybody wants in for a side pot. Maybe just like a $20 winner take all? Open for other suggestions.

Google sheet is active.

Input your picks in the blue shaded cells. Put your FBG name in the top cell. Don’t change any other cells or formulas.

Keep in mind I suck at setting up google workbooks, so it’s very possible I messed something up. Let me know if you can’t input your picks.

Picks are due prior to first play-in games tomorrow (4/16).

@Gally - I input your picks from up thread to show how to input, but feel free to change anything before game time tomorrow.

I’ll update the win totals in the file as playoffs progress.

Thanks again!

Sweet. I am beating Frosty 100-94. Let's end it now.
You want the lowest number. Frosty always wins (jinx).
Oh, that's right.

I assumed that score was based on the number of wins you have predicted for the playoffs. If you predict every series to go 7 that number will be the highest possible (at the moment).

I wonder if that scoring will not quite be right now that I think about it. Essentially you are trying to predict the exact number of total wins for the entire playoffs so it may not matter how you assign the wins. For example, if you predict Dallas to have 5 wins and Lakers to have 2 wins. They could flip flop and you would still have total of 7 wins predicted and be a net zero off of your score.

It seems like it ought to be some sort of absolute value so that you can't get lucky that way. Unless I am missing the way it's being scored (I didn't look at the spreadsheet to see the formula so I may be really off).

Sweet. I am beating Frosty 100-94. Let's end it now.
You want the lowest number. Frosty always wins (jinx).
Oh, that's right.

I assumed that score was based on the number of wins you have predicted for the playoffs. If you predict every series to go 7 that number will be the highest possible (at the moment).

I wonder if that scoring will not quite be right now that I think about it. Essentially you are trying to predict the exact number of total wins for the entire playoffs so it may not matter how you assign the wins. For example, if you predict Dallas to have 5 wins and Lakers to have 2 wins. They could flip flop and you would still have total of 7 wins predicted and be a net zero off of your score.

It seems like it ought to be some sort of absolute value so that you can't get lucky that way. Unless I am missing the way it's being scored (I didn't look at the spreadsheet to see the formula so I may be really off).
It’s absolute value by team, not in total. There are some hidden rows at the bottom calculating that.

There are two scores on the spreadsheet:

Score -Final: I will only input win totals for teams once they are eliminated. This will be the official tally.

Score - Current: I’ll just be inputting wins as the games progress. It’s meaningless, but serves as a running tally of everyone’s current scores.

Maybe some picks with my heart instead of my head. Boston with 16 and GSW with a 0. LIGHT THE BEAM!!!

Users who are viewing this thread