What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 NFL Coaching Carousel & Front Office Changes (1 Viewer)

@Bri any info on Terrell Williams? The Lions hired him as their D-Line coach and run game coordinator.
Yeah I mentioned him earlier a few times. He's absolutely adored around the league and a big loss for the Titans.
Sirius guys said if Titans aren't careful someone will scoop him up and then supposedly Dan Campbell wanted him and soon enough people are saying he's thrilled to get him.
He's a DL coach.
He was the assistant head coach last year. He ran a whole week of preseason and a week during the bye.
Big smile engaging type that is half surprising to hear him bark at players. He works that line of loving the players n getting on them perfectly.
Titans went thru injuries and ended the year with mostly street free agents. The story was he was telling em give me one move you'll win with and gimme all you've got and I'll make it work. He did, he sure did. He moved em around alot and... Whew it was impressive.

Jeffrey Simmons loves him, as does everyone on the DL. He helped him reach his massive potential.

He was the senior bowl coach which was a bit surprising but...people love that guy.

Detroit has a gem til he gets a head coaching job. He interviews each year.

He's going to be the run game coordinator too and I would bet that means he's barking at both lines in camp, standing just off the TE. 😊

Campbell probably wants the assistant head coach angle too and doesn't say it because the press would run negatively with it. HC is a very hectic job some weeks and if there's a bad practice it's a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a story like you take that group, I got this one. Campbell is a great fit for him.

See-
Dianna Russini
@DMRussini
Here at the Senior Bowl, Head Coach of the American Squad, Terrell Williams, will leave the Titans to accept the Run Game Coordinator and DL Coach position with the Detroit Lions. Dan Campbell gets his guy out of Nashville

The Browns allowed Callahan to go coach with his son in Tennessee so their line should get a lot better

The Browns allowed Callahan to go coach with his son in Tennessee so their line should get a lot better
As a Browns fan, I am deeply disappointed. As a Levis owner, I am intrigued.
Yeah it's a tough one.
I think throwing the Browns a fifth round or something would be .... something.
Yes family family family but they gave him a job and he just gets out of his contract?
I can understand this from both sides

Titans hired Dennard Wilson as DC, I thought that was mentioned here already.
Titans hired Nick Holz as OC. He was the Jags passing game coordinator. He was on the same high school team as new HC Brian Callahan

Alex Tanney interviewing with Giants, Colts, and Titans shortly. He's had two interviews already, mentioned earlier.
The huge amount of young QBs entering the league have made the QB coach a considerable hire.
Not sure that that means the Giants will draft a QB. I think it could simply be Daniel is still developing and can use someone and Tommy too. Although I fully expect social media to overreact if he's hired.
Tanney seems to get more n more credit for Hurt's turnaround two years ago, every time someone interviews an Eagles coach or player.

Charles London was Desmond Ridder and Will Levis' QB coach and got a lot of praise for his work with them and Willis. I don't know that he's had any interviews but writers just mention he's gotten calls.

Shane Bowen to the Giants as DC has some wings but they didn't sign him and the Titans haven't agreed to release him yet. The Titans have a new DC so maybe it's just procedural but then again, Callahan said how Bowen's defenses gave him some trouble and we thought that meant he was staying. Very unclear but he had a good interview with the Giants.

I had mentioned Terrell Williams and the Lions...Dan Campbell has a whole rant you'll want to read/see about how "Big T" helped him (years ago in Miami) get acclimated to coaching and funnel that passion to the players the right way.

Kliff Kingsbury's agent withdrew his name from consideration
I have no idea if sincere or a negotiation tactic

Looks like Greg Roman will be the OC for the chargers. Not sure I like that as a Herbert owner.
Not sure why considering Lamar is about to win MVP.
Say what? That would be thanks to Todd Monken.

I don’t dislike Roman, but he’s really succeeded with running qbs and the run game. If he can get Herbert to run a lot, well that will be nice, but I am skeptical of that and I don’t think he is great with the pass game. We will see.

Looks like Greg Roman will be the OC for the chargers. Not sure I like that as a Herbert owner.
Not sure why considering Lamar is about to win MVP.
Say what? That would be thanks to Todd Monken.

I don’t dislike Roman, but he’s really succeeded with running qbs and the run game. If he can get Herbert to run a lot, well that will be nice, but I am skeptical of that and I don’t think he is great with the pass game. We will see.
Fair - this year it was Monken but Roman has to deserve some credit for helping groom Lamar to be a top notch QB. Have to think he’ll play to Herbert’s strengths.

I'm ok with the hire for Herbert. They are not actually saying he's going to be hired as the OC so that part is TBD. My guess is Harbaugh's been out of the NFL awhile and likes having a trusted confidant on staff and someone else will be the OC.

I am a little worried for Herbert's fantasy value though. Imagine he'll be more efficient, might run more, but hard not to see less pass attempts in general, less 4th down attempts, maybe worsening weapons but that's TBD.

Washington makes it official:

OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Joe Whitt, Jr

I think getting Whitt is a big time get, he’s been due for a shot at coordinator for awhile and he’ll be a great lieutenant for Quinn.

KK, man, I’m not sure what to think. He has experience, worked with a bunch of high profile young QBs, and is aggressive. That much I like. Also think he’s a bit of a live wire and sequencing play calls seems to be a weakness. Most important thing is how he will mesh with whichever QB we end up with of course. It’s so hard to dissect these guys, there’s so much we don’t know. Definitely like him better than Chip Kelly. Wanted Klint Kubiak but it’s not like I had some great read on him either. Ill keep an open mind for sure, will see.

OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Joe Whitt, Jr

I think getting Whitt is a big time get, he’s been due for a shot at coordinator for awhile and he’ll be a great lieutenant for Quinn.

KK, man, I’m not sure what to think. He has experience, worked with a bunch of high profile young QBs, and is aggressive. That much I like. Also think he’s a bit of a live wire and sequencing play calls seems to be a weakness. Most important thing is how he will mesh with whichever QB we end up with of course. It’s so hard to dissect these guys, there’s so much we don’t know. Definitely like him better than Chip Kelly. Wanted Klint Kubiak but it’s not like I had some great read on him either. Ill keep an open mind for sure, will see.
Question: Is there any data to back up my anecdotal observation that failed HCs who go back to being DCs tend to do well, but the ones who go back to being OCs do not?

Off the top of my head:

DCs: Schwartz, Fangio, Flores, Frazier, Wade Phillips, Ray Rhodes*
OCs: Garrett, McAdoo, O'Brien, Nagy, McCoy, Haley

My hypothesis is that defensive-minded coaches tend to be the introvert type who are happy spending all their time scheming up blitz packages, while offensive-minded coaches (many of whom are former QBs) are more charismatic and have stronger leadership qualities. Therefore, when a defensive-minded coach fails, it's likely because of his people skills, but he can easily go back to thriving as a DC. But when an offensive-minded coach fails, it's because he was never a great schemer to begin with, so he's not going to be a great OC.

Obviously, there are exceptions, and the best coaches (McVay, Shanny, Reid) are brilliant schemers who also have strong leadership skills. But it just seems like on average, this difference exists. And doesn't bode well for Kingsbury.

* Matt Patricia doesn't count since he's been both an OC and a DC since leaving Detroit and sucked at both, so he cancels himself out

OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Joe Whitt, Jr

Question: Is there any data to back up my anecdotal observation that failed HCs who go back to being DCs tend to do well, but the ones who go back to being OCs do not?

Off the top of my head:

My hypothesis is that defensive-minded coaches tend to be the introvert type who are happy spending all their time scheming up blitz packages, while offensive-minded coaches (many of whom are former QBs) are more charismatic and have stronger leadership qualities. Therefore, when a defensive-minded coach fails, it's likely because of his people skills, but he can easily go back to thriving as a DC. But when an offensive-minded coach fails, it's because he was never a great schemer to begin with, so he's not going to be a great OC.

Obviously, there are exceptions, and the best coaches (McVay, Shanny, Reid) are brilliant schemers who also have strong leadership skills. But it just seems like on average, this difference exists. And doesn't bode well for Kingsbury.

* Matt Patricia doesn't count since he's been both an OC and a DC since leaving Detroit and sucked at both, so he cancels himself out

I don’t have an opinion really but this theory wouldn’t apply to Quinn. He’s a charismatic leader type personality by all accounts. And a nugget I learned today is Quinn actually hired outside consultants to review his time coaching Atlanta to assess his strengths and weaknesses to help determine how things ended up poorly toward the end of his time there so he doesn’t repeat the same mistakes. I was pretty blown away by that. Not many HCs have that kind of humility and interest in self awareness. One of Riveras huge flaws was he never adapted or evolved and seemed completely unaware of it.

If your point is aimed at Kingsbury, maybe that shoe fits, but I’m not sure he was HC material to begin with. I’m curious to see how he does back in the league focused solely on running an offense and developing a rookie QB.

OC- Kliff Kingsbury
DC- Joe Whitt, Jr

Off the top of my head:

I don’t have an opinion really but this theory wouldn’t apply to Quinn. He’s a charismatic leader type personality by all accounts. And a nugget I learned today is Quinn actually hired outside consultants to review his time coaching Atlanta to assess his strengths and weaknesses to help determine how things ended up poorly toward the end of his time there so he doesn’t repeat the same mistakes. I was pretty blown away by that. Not many HCs have that kind of humility and interest in self awareness. One of Riveras huge flaws was he never adapted or evolved and seemed completely unaware of it.

If your point is aimed at Kingsbury, maybe that shoe fits, but I’m not sure he was HC material to begin with. I’m curious to see how he does back in the league focused solely on running an offense and developing a rookie QB.
Yeah, I wasn't referring to Quinn. His is another former HC who succeeded as a DC, but I agree he seems different from the Schwartzes and Fangios of the world. I'm cautiously optimistic that he's not destined to be a lifelong DC, and that he'll improve on his performance in Atlanta.

As for Kingsbury, I worry he'll be yet another retread OC who has no juice left. I don't know what his exact role at USC was last year, but it's worrisome that Williams regressed after he came along

I'm ok with the hire for Herbert. They are not actually saying he's going to be hired as the OC so that part is TBD. My guess is Harbaugh's been out of the NFL awhile and likes having a trusted confidant on staff and someone else will be the OC.

I am a little worried for Herbert's fantasy value though. Imagine he'll be more efficient, might run more, but hard not to see less pass attempts in general, less 4th down attempts, maybe worsening weapons but that's TBD.
Looks like you are correct that Roman is not the OC, so that makes me feel a bit better

Looks like you are correct that Roman is not the OC, so that makes me feel a bit better
He in fact was hired as the OC.

:kicksrock: thanks a lot for getting my hopes up!

🤣🤣🤣
@Sheena_Marie3
Steve Wilks is not bitter about how things shook out in Carolina.

“I learned a lot there - a lot of what not to do.”
Adds that the York family runs the organization the right way.
“They’ve really given Kyle and John everything they need to succeed.”

Washington just snagged Brian Johnson, former OC of Eagles, to what is presumed to be a passing game coordinator role or perhaps QB coach.. More specifically though, he’s expected to be a QB whisperer. Really love this hire for whichever rookie QB they take and this is a nice reinforcement to Kingsbury in my view. Really solid staff coming together here IMO.

Washington just snagged Brian Johnson, former OC of Eagles, to what is presumed to be a passing game coordinator role or perhaps QB coach.. More specifically though, he’s expected to be a QB whisperer. Really love this hire for whichever rookie QB they take and this is a nice reinforcement to Kingsbury in my view. Really solid staff coming together here IMO.
This QB whisperer is possibly inaccurate and he'll be proving it in Washington. After last year's super bowl, Hurts praised Alex Tanney. He explained in some detail different things he worked with him on. After their staff scattered around the league, lots of them praised Alex Tanney.

If ya go back and reread some, it also reads like anyone that worked with Hurts got promoted.

Now that Tanney got the job in Indy, lots of people are snipping no no it was this guy not that guy.

From Hurts- Something he struggled with was coaches wanting perfect technique while he's got a defender on his leg, or wanting him to scramble but get your feet set before passing and very text book ish. Whereas Tanney would talk about using his hip, if he could get his one leg in this position and be balanced...anyways to each their own. One is probably a coach the other an advisor or ...idk

Sorry pal.

Greg Roman is the suck. The Chargers will pass the ball less now and Roman is going to need a bunch of players to run his offense as well.

Bo Hardegree was hired as Titans QB coach, forgot to mention
Rookie Mac Jones, OConnell, now Levis for him

Sorry pal.

Greg Roman is the suck. The Chargers will pass the ball less now and Roman is going to need a bunch of players to run his offense as well.
I'm pretty much unmoved on the Roman hire, was always a way Harbaugh is going to want his offense to work and that way was always going to be trying harder to establish a running game more then anything we've seen in Herbert's tenure.

Article below from The Athletic were a poll of 4 execs and 3 coaches gave some thoughts and ranked the HC hires with votes going 1-3.

If you can't access it I'll summarize. Harbaugh as expected got top ranking, Morris next. Macdonald was only other coach then those two getting a vote as best hire, got 3 of them, and finished third. I would personally also consider those the 3 best hires of the cycle.

Canales and Pierce were the only two how failed to get a vote. Third to last was Mayo or got one second place vote as his only vote.

NFL new coaching poll

Users who are viewing this thread