What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

Anybody draft or acquire Pittsburgh and ready to throw them back for a streamer? They’ve had a ton of injuries that have led to abysmal numbers, and Dusty Ben is hurting them on the other side of the ball. But they are getting Watt back so maybe they will turn things around. 

Anybody draft or acquire Pittsburgh and ready to throw them back for a streamer? They’ve had a ton of injuries that have led to abysmal numbers, and Dusty Ben is hurting them on the other side of the ball. But they are getting Watt back so maybe they will turn things around. 

They were dumped in my league this past week. I've taken several peeks at their schedule since and keep coming up with the same sentiment each time... Nah, I'm good.

Four home games in the next six weeks are worth consideration, DEN, SEA (if WRs, Carson are hurt), CHI, DET. But that's only if Watt is available and capable. Beyond those four, ROS is sketch, especially if there might be a QB transition to someone potentially even worse than Big Bum.

LawFitz said:
Did the same about 30 min ago. Wishing us both luck. Such a crap shoot, these streaming D calls - especially on Thursdays! I could see the Bengals scoring anywhere from negative points to 20+ tonight, depending on the amount of fight in Lawrence to prove he's not a bust. Marvin Jones Jr. is also back tonight after an inglorious exit from Cincy and Carlos Hyde is out, which could be addition by subtraction if it means more opps for Robinson. My gut says the Jags aren't going to just roll over. Too early in the season for that.
Yeah, the fact it was Thursday night also scared me off the Bengals.  It used to be Thursday nights were low scoring affairs, but lately they seem to have been higher scoring.  Don't know what caused that to flip.

In my league they ended up scoring 1 point, so I'm hoping the Cowboys can at least beat that.  Although with CMC out and Lockett hurting, and I am playing against the highest scoring team in the league this week, I don't think it's going to matter what DST I plug in this week.

themeistersinger said:
Bengals are missing a starting CB and starting safety.  I just dropped them for the Cowboys.

Good call, I didnt have the Bengals defense, but the person I played started them, only got them 1 point and that was a bogus Lawrence sack where he ran out of bounds 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. 

I still have them on my team with Denver def in a league with limited transactions, but have been contemplating dropping this week. I haven't used them once this year, but it is getting to the point with Denver where they don't have any more cupcakes and i'll have to possibly use Pittsburgh moving forward. They are different defense without Watt that is for sure, he can at least create a sack for a teammate or get a sack on his own every game. 

Someone just dropped the PIT D (@GB). 

Lousy matchup this week, DEN the following, then SEA, then bye.

Thought they may be one of those buy and hold D's this year, but maybe with these injuries and the offense holding them down that's not the case. Tempted to grab.

I still have them on my team with Denver def in a league with limited transactions, but have been contemplating dropping this week. I haven't used them once this year, but it is getting to the point with Denver where they don't have any more cupcakes and i'll have to possibly use Pittsburgh moving forward. They are different defense without Watt that is for sure, he can at least create a sack for a teammate or get a sack on his own every game. 
I’m in a similar situation with Pitt, except I just received them back as a throw in on a much larger deal that included me sending away Denver (wanted to sell high, as like you, I know they just had their three best matchups of the season).

It’s a tough call. I was asking around the Steelers thread and the sentiment was they have just had too many injuries right now. It wasn’t just Watt, I believe in game 2 they were missing like 4 starters. That’s going to crush any defense. Watt looks like he’s back this week and that will definitely help.

There is still no chance in hell I’m starting them versus Rodgers in a possible audition for the Pitt QB job next season, but perhaps better days are ahead. My biggest concern at this point isn’t even the injuries (as none of them were long term from what I recall), but rather a thoroughly cooked Ben and the bad spots he’s going to leave the D in field position wise. 

Right now I’m considering holding and make room for a streamer for a few weeks to see if they can right the ship.

I’m in a similar situation with Pitt, except I just received them back as a throw in on a much larger deal that included me sending away Denver (wanted to sell high, as like you, I know they just had their three best matchups of the season).

It’s a tough call. I was asking around the Steelers thread and the sentiment was they have just had too many injuries right now. It wasn’t just Watt, I believe in game 2 they were missing like 4 starters. That’s going to crush any defense. Watt looks like he’s back this week and that will definitely help.

There is still no chance in hell I’m starting them versus Rodgers in a possible audition for the Pitt QB job next season, but perhaps better days are ahead. My biggest concern at this point isn’t even the injuries (as none of them were long term from what I recall), but rather a thoroughly cooked Ben and the bad spots he’s going to leave the D in field position wise. 

Right now I’m considering holding and make room for a streamer for a few weeks to see if they can right the ship.

What defenses are on your WW? Maybe that will help direct you in one way or another. 

Like you, I have concerns with Pitt's offense staying on the field or giving the defense decent field position to work with. 

Miami feels like a good pick this week. Nelson is out, the OL besides him has been mediocre at best this year, Wentz is playing hurt, and Pittman is the only real passing game weapon, and likely draws Xavien Howard.

Unless Taylor blows up, and that might be tough against frequent 8 man fronts, I'm not seeing the Colts topping 20 points this week. I kinda think the Colts might just suck anyway. 

Denver also becomes an obvious nice play Lamar is actually out. I feel like they were dropped in many/most leagues this week.

Yes, dropped them this week.  Will be going by committee going forward.  So far, failing, as Cincinnati was a bust.  But they scored about the same that Pitt had been.

This kind of scenario seems to come up 5-6 times a year. Really bad, turnover prone offense versus lousy defense. I have never seen data on it - I can’t back this up but - in my experiences, it usually doesn’t work out. Maybe 1/5th or 1/4th or 1/3rd of the time it does, it’s def a nonzero chance.

The thing is, because I’ve never tried to do a study on my own, and I don’t really understand what the determining factors might be, I just try to avoid it. Just from a range of outcomes perspective, I’m not getting any kind of an edge picking up that defense.

Good post.

Should have listened to what this guy was saying and started Baltimore or Denver. Why would anyone think the Bengals DT is trustworthy?

Good post.

Should have listened to what this guy was saying and started Baltimore or Denver. Why would anyone think the Bengals DT is trustworthy?

This exchange getting me nervous about the TN D.

Have that ugly feeling in my gut that TN is going to lay an egg. Especially now that they are minus weapons.

Could actually see many getting booted out of survivor pools because of TN this week. 

Something feels rotten about this one.

Have that ugly feeling in my gut that TN is going to lay an egg. Especially now that they are minus weapons.

Could actually see many getting booted out of survivor pools because of TN this week. 

Agree. The fact that BOTH AJ and Julio are now out for Tenn makes this a much tougher call. 

Man, the Bengals were disappointing last night.  Even that second sack would have been nice (but got wiped off the table due to a penalty).  I can't help but wonder how much they missed Bates in the secondary.  Seems like he's the quarterback of that defense, although I really like what Wilson is doing at LB.  That guy is a stud in the making.

I'm actually glad I didn't get CIN in a couple of my leagues, where I was outbid and got "stuck" with DAL or GB as a secondary option.  

Picked up Ten but they are making me nervous too after watching Cincy.

Balt and Den both on the wire...also considering Miami, Packers or Bears.

Thoughts?

In the same boat.  I know Balt's secondary hasn't been great, but is that a reason people are dropping them?  I thought they would have been one of the few set and forget DST for the season.  I'm sitting here with NE and TN on a short roster, but considering dropping TN for Balt.  Are they a good season hold, or fool's gold?

I went back on my keeping of Denver. They seem like a good defense but not sure if they're worth keeping a roster spot for. Might be a mistake but with their upcoming schedule, I don't think people will be running to grab them. 
This one is going to cost me long term I think. Could have just kept them and played them especially now that Lamar is out. 

This one is going to cost me long term I think. Could have just kept them and played them especially now that Lamar is out. 
Where did you see Lamar was “out”? Latest reports I see have him okay and playing.

Who's in the what now?

You had me wondering if I had missed something, but I just double-checked and he's listed as questionable after practicing in full Friday

Picked up Ten but they are making me nervous too after watching Cincy.

Thoughts?
I dumped Tenn for Miami due to the same concern. See Travdogg’s post above about why Miami looks promising this weekend.

Bengals Elevate Safety From Practice Squad to Help Fill in for Jessie Bates Against Jaguars

Excerpt:

Bengals will be without two key players for Thursday night's game against Jaguars

Excerpt:

Paging @QuizGuy66 @knowledge dropper @Timmay

What will be the likely impact from Bates & Awuzie missing in action tonight? I also see that Trae Waynes is slated to play tonight. Should I be worried about streaming the Bengals Defense tonight?
sorry I missed this post @Faust :(

-QG

At a certain point in the year, streaming stops working because everyone else is trying to stream defenses and starts holding 2 so you're stuck starting bad defenses against bad offenses which I detest.

I usually try to pick the emerging star/top 5 defense early in the year while everyone is still trying to rank offenses. Usually there's a star out there on the waivers in the first 4 weeks that you can ride till the end of the year and support with a weekly streamer if need be. This can tide you over if you fail to pickup the DST of the week on waivers.

I was trying to figure out which offenses to avoid vs start against and this is the list I came up with. Some teams just faced poor competition so I don't think their current fantasy rank (shown) is deserving.

Top waiver wire DSTs (ESPN Standard DST Scoring)

Based on list below, I looked at the top 14 fantasy ranked defenses that have lower than 70% ownership per ESPN standard DST rules.

3 - Carolina - 5 bad, 4 good, 3 neutral

5 - Arizona - 7 bad, 3 good, 2 neutral

6 - New England - 6 bad, 3 good, 3 neutral

7 - Cleveland - 5 bad, 3 good, 4 neutral

7 - Chicago - 8 bad, 3 good, 1 neutral

9 - Cincinnati - 7 bad, 3 good, 2 neutral (including JAX)

10 - Dallas - 3 bad, 2 good, 7 neutral

11 - Indianapolis - 4 bad, 4 good, 4 neutral

12 - Philadelphia - 4 bad, 2 good, 6 neutral

14 - LA Chargers - 4 bad, 2 good, 6 neutral

Dallas, Indianapolis, LA Chargers, and Philadelphia all had two tough matches in first 3 weeks so they may be better than their current rank and could potentially do better over the rest of the season since they have the most neutral / favorable matchups going forward (8+)

Cowboys and Colts have a great few games after this week. Then you need to pick someone up for week 7 and beyond. Browns, Eagles, and Chargers have terrible matchups until week 8 and then they only have 1-2 bad matchups after so they fit in perfectly. Can probably grab one of those in week 7 as I expect their ranks to fall before then.

Carolina, New England, Cincinnati had two great matchups in the first three weeks so they may not be as good as their rank indicates.

Arizona, New England, Chicago, and Cincinnati have the worst schedules going forward with 6 or more unplayable games against top tier teams.

Fantasy Rank - Bottom Worst Offenses - Start Against

32 - NYJ - Must start

31 - ATL - Must start

30 - CHI  - Must start

29 - JAX  - Must start

27 - MIA  

26 - NE

24 - PIT 

23 - DET 

22 - IND

Fantasy Rank - Middle Offenses - Unsure of team quality / Start if good DST or key injuries to O

13 - HOU - Start against as long as Tyrod is out

27 - CIN - Think they are better than their current rank / bottom offenses. Bears game heavily skewed it. Wouldn't start weak DST against them.

25 - TEN  - Think they are better than their current rank / bottom offenses. Cardinal game heavily skewed it.

20 - NO - I think the Panther game where they had 8 coaches out was an aberration so they may not be as bad as current rank

20 - PHI - They did not do well against SF and DAL but crushed ATL. Willing to start a good defense against them if favorable matchup.

18 - NYG - I could go either way on this - I think they are middle of the road.

18 - WSH - Not afraid of starting a good quality defense against them. 

16 - DEN - Their competition was so weak that I don't know if they are really this good. I'm not afraid of them. 

15 - BAL - I do think this team is better than its current rank but struggling right now. Iffy start.

10 - CAR - I do not buy that they are a top 10 offense granted the caliber of their opponents so far. This offense runs through McCaffrey and I'm willing to start against them without him.

Fantasy Rank - Top Offenses - Bad Matchup / Do not start against

1 - MIN - I think Kirk Cousins is playing as good as ever and I would not start anyone against them. ARI week 2 scarred me.

3 - LAC 

5 - ARI

5 - DAL

5 - LAR - Unstoppable. Super bowl bound.

5 - TB 

5 - SEA

10 - KC

16 - GB - That week 1 was a fluke. NO just out schemed GB, I don't think other defenses will be able to do the same.

14 - SF 

5 - CLE

10 - BUF - Bad start brought their rank down but I would not want to start a D against them going forward.

2 - LV - I'm still not sure if LV belongs here or not. I definitely don't think they are top 2 but not sure if I would say you absolutely can't start a D against them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling with Dallas over Chicago.  Best WW choices.  Only other is GB and that one I’m not sure about.  Think Dallas exposes Carolina.  

I own Tennessee and in the process of the last two weeks have dropped Carolina and New England who are still out there. Amongst a few okay defenses still available… MIA, BAL.

So here I am a few beers deep on Saturday night trying to convince myself that TEN is the right call even if their offense might stutter… looking at the yahoo app and dissecting the Jets D.

The leading Jets rusher has run for 89 yards. No. Not in a game… through three games.

Zero rushing tds

The leading receiver on the Jets is something named B Berrios… who has 150 yards in 3 games. 

The Jets have thrown for 2 touchdowns all year.

Zach Wilson has thrown for 2 TDs and 7 interception at just 209 yards per game.

The Jets have made 2-3 field goals. 

32nd in points per game

This team is historically bad and feels like a start your studs (TEN) mentality, no matter what the offense looks like.

I can be convinced otherwise but it’s gonna require buying me a drink and a dance.

I own Tennessee and in the process of the last two weeks have dropped Carolina and New England who are still out there. Amongst a few okay defenses still available… MIA, BAL.

So here I am a few beers deep on Saturday night trying to convince myself that TEN is the right call even if their offense might stutter… looking at the yahoo app and dissecting the Jets D.

The leading Jets rusher has run for 89 yards. No. Not in a game… through three games.

Zero rushing tds

The leading receiver on the Jets is something named B Berrios… who has 150 yards in 3 games. 

The Jets have thrown for 2 touchdowns all year.

Zach Wilson has thrown for 2 TDs and 7 interception at just 209 yards per game.

The Jets have made 2-3 field goals. 

32nd in points per game

This team is historically bad and feels like a start your studs (TEN) mentality, no matter what the offense looks like.

I can be convinced otherwise but it’s gonna require buying me a drink and a dance.
In one league I rolled with them last week because I wanted them for this and next. Was an ok game which Is a fine floor for this week. I hate playing bad d against bad o but every year there’s like one offense so inept that they make the 32 best defense look like a top 10. This year is absolutely the jets.

Have you seen this breakdown of the jets offense? Kids spot on lol.

https://youtu.be/O16V10vm5xY

Tennesse D/ST sitting on the waiver wire. I think the injuries to Titans stud WR's may have others questioning them, along with their prior track record to date is low production and it's only one week. But, it is the NYJETS who give up double digit fantasy points.

So, hanging onto NE D who gets HOU in week 5 and those Jets in week 7. Picked up MIA because of Wentz. Not a bad play and could be of further use. OR, pick up TEN for one week because of the higher upside. That's my dilemma. What happened with CIN could happen with TEN.

Tennesse D/ST sitting on the waiver wire. I think the injuries to Titans stud WR's may have others questioning them, along with their prior track record to date is low production and it's only one week. But, it is the NYJETS who give up double digit fantasy points.

So, hanging onto NE D who gets HOU in week 5 and those Jets in week 7. Picked up MIA because of Wentz. Not a bad play and could be of further use. OR, pick up TEN for one week because of the higher upside. That's my dilemma. What happened with CIN could happen with TEN.

Yup scared to death of TN, but I'm rolling with them. Only other option is DEN D, but I'm not going with them against Lamar.

TN could completely lay an egg, but I doubt they'll get negative points. The upside is still there for a huge game if Vrabel can avoid his usual letdown against crap teams.

Anyone who watched Cowboys-Panthers have an opinion on Carolina D going forward? Is Dallas' offense that good? Did they just have a bad day? Should it make us rethink them as a ROS option?

Have them in one league with no backup option. Their match-up against Philly is OK. Meanwhile, NE vs Houston is sitting there on the wire. 

On the other hand, if this was just a one-week blip, Carolina is a great hold. No truly scary match-ups until Arizona Week 10, then two more good match-ups (Mia/WFT) before their bye. (You'll definitely need to explore other options for the playoffs, since they have @Buf/TB/@NO).

Other question is whether we need to start thinking of Dallas as a plug-and-play D. They've been very solid so far, and have two good match-ups (NYG/NE) coming up before their bye.

Someone dropped Balt on the WW last week. I'm thinking of putting in a decent FAAB bid to have them when the matchups are bad for streaming.

Otherwise I see Ari out there playing SF this week possibly against the rookie QB and then Hou in 2 weeks who looks like we thought they would.

Cowboys home vs NYG and @NE next 2 weeks before a bye also a decent play. Their offense will force other teams to take risks they don't want to.

All the defenses this week were pretty bad. I think only BUF (who wasnt a streaming option) and Baltimore scored double digit points.

All the defenses this week were pretty bad. I think only BUF (who wasnt a streaming option) and Baltimore scored double digit points.
I was happy with 8 out of Indy...wasn't happy with the late TD...but still a nice solid week.

Next week some decent matchups...LV becomes a viable option with Chi banged up at RB?

I was happy with what I got out of Dallas yesterday especially after seeing TEN and CIN defenses struggle against terrible teams. I like them moving forward in the near future as well, even though their opponents often times will have to attempt to score a lot to keep up with Dallas' offense. 

I was happy with what I got out of Dallas yesterday especially after seeing TEN and CIN defenses struggle against terrible teams. I like them moving forward in the near future as well, even though their opponents often times will have to attempt to score a lot to keep up with Dallas' offense. 
Diggs alone is probably good for an INT or two every week

Anyone who watched Cowboys-Panthers have an opinion on Carolina D going forward? Is Dallas' offense that good? Did they just have a bad day? Should it make us rethink them as a ROS option?

Have them in one league with no backup option. Their match-up against Philly is OK. Meanwhile, NE vs Houston is sitting there on the wire. 

On the other hand, if this was just a one-week blip, Carolina is a great hold. No truly scary match-ups until Arizona Week 10, then two more good match-ups (Mia/WFT) before their bye. (You'll definitely need to explore other options for the playoffs, since they have @Buf/TB/@NO).

Other question is whether we need to start thinking of Dallas as a plug-and-play D. They've been very solid so far, and have two good match-ups (NYG/NE) coming up before their bye.
It’s too early to think of any as a set it and forget it defense. However I think many can be a start unless they go against an elite offense type of defense. Dallas was already on my list as an elite offense so not sure why many started Carolina when it was clear the first three matchups were highly favorable and nowhere near the quality of Dallas.

I also thought Dallas on the flip side faced tough offenses so they would be better than their rank indicates. Both Dallas and panthers were teams I’d feel comfortable starting against weak opponents but only when any team crushes the elite offenses like Vikings Arizona Tampa and rams that you start to think they may be matchup proof.

Arizona, Cleveland, and New England looked good in this respect but not enough games to be definitive. Wait and see yes.

I still think Carolina is a viable option against weaker opponents. Dallas has too strong of an offense and too many weapons to guard, any defense is going to struggle against them right now. They have decent not great matchups moving forward with Eagles, Vikings, Giants and Falcons. All of the QB's are prone to make some mistakes with Daniel Jones believe or not the least likely too right now. 

Looking to next week I am dumping the Bengals D.  I have CAR and can grab one of Packers, DAL or ATL (versus NYJ).  Any thoughts?

I drafted Buffalo in two leagues - two shutouts so far has been awesome but now they face KC in Week 5.  Don't really like rostering two defenses this early in the season so I think I'm just going to shut my eyes and roll them out there.  But looking at available options I had a couple thoughts: 

Jets sacked Tannehill 7 times this past week - could Jax DST be a sneaky stream against Tenn this week?  TN giving up most sacks (17) so far this year. 

Jets DST facing Atlanta (they are beyond turrible) - might be worth a spot start.  It's the London game though, who knows what could happen with that going on...Jets giving up 2nd most sacks (16) this year but no way I'd use Atlanta against them, bad defenses are bad even in good matchups (see Cincy and TN in Week 4)

Minnesota DST has been decent (certainly not great though), facing the Lions and their weak offense...could be an ok play.  Vikings have 13 sacks so far this year but if Detroit has a strength it's their O-line so I wouldn't expect more than 2 sacks given up. 

Raiders DST facing Chicago this week - unsure QB situation, Fields looked putrid two weeks ago, and this week I think he was propped up by Monty's big day.  Bears give up 2nd most sacks (16) so far this year. 

Chargers looked good last night against LV, had 4 sacks and only gave up two TD's.  Cleveland's offense is no better than LV's..., and both (Cleveland and LV) have given up same number of sacks (12) so far. 

Football Guys used to publish an article with recommended DST pairings for tandem streaming.  Do they still do that?  I haven't been able to find it.

wlwiles said:
Raiders DST facing Chicago this week - unsure QB situation, Fields looked putrid two weeks ago, and this week I think he was propped up by Monty's big day.  Bears give up 2nd most sacks (16) so far this year.  
And Montgomery looks to be out.  Looking at Raiders to stream this week.

wlwiles said:
Chargers looked good last night against LV, had 4 sacks and only gave up two TD's.  Cleveland's offense is no better than LV's..., and both (Cleveland and LV) have given up same number of sacks (12) so far. 

Really think the LAC D is the one that could emerge as the D you grab and hold. They have it all. Pressure on the QB, secondary with tons of talent. Not many holes. And a coach that seems like he's a non-idiot.

And this offense could force the opposing offenses to play catchup (and play stupid with the ball).

Want to find a way to get them on my roster. Don't love the upcoming schedule and a bye week you'd have to hold either, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread