What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd best receiver? (1 Viewer)

JShare87

Footballguy
Haven't seen this debated much but would like to get your opinions on the matter. I traded my first round and stocked up on a couple 2nd and 3rd rounders where I plan to get 3 wrs. Now my question is if you had a choice after Calvin to get any 3 receivers who would you take and in what order? (1 pt ppr league). Also is there a clear cut number 2: AJ,welker,Fitz,Julio?

What do you think? There could be a good argument made for four or five guys. I think Andre is the safe bet, Marshall is a reasonable gamble, and jones or green are a reasonable risk to take with some upside.

Julio. High floor, very high ceiling. In preseason Ryan has been targeting him a lot and he's looked like a man amongst boys out there.

Personally I feel it's Julio as well. AJ has been a stud for years but he has been snakebit by nagging injuries and inconsistent QB play. Fitz is on par with both of those guys but has never had a top notch thrower. Marshall had three 100 catch seasons with Cutler, so he has a fighters chance as well.

If you are looking for the player that will finish WR2 on points, and not necessarily who has more talent, it's gotta be Jones.

Greg Jennings. Ignore the concussion talk. I've been getting him at 36-37 overall too.

Julio has been looking great. Much hype this year

Also like Percy Harvin & AJ Green

I've had Julio #2 on my board for about two weeks but if we are talking PPR I keep coming back to that guy Wes Welker.

Last year he was the #2 WR by 3 ppg (discounting Britt's 3 game season).

I know they've added Lloyd and Gronk and Hernandez are there but all Welker does is get it done every single year. I don't know if he will equal his career high of 9 TDs again but the guy has had 112 or more receptions 4 of the last 5 years. And the fact that he is playing for a contract is always a good thing in my book.

PPR, I keep coming back to Welker as #2. Non-PPR I think I roll the dice on Julio's upside.

Long as AJ is out there Andre Johnson is not only the #2 fantasy wr but still the greatest all around wr in the game period.

Long as AJ is out there Andre Johnson is not only the #2 fantasy wr but still the greatest all around wr in the game period.
I love Andre Johnson and was one of his biggest proponents dating back before his ascent to the #1WR in FF.However, this comment sounds more like that of a fan than a FF player. He's a great talent and the argument can be made for him still being the best all around WR in the game though that's far from definitive. But there are several reasons I think he belongs ranked outside of the top 5 headed into 1012.Houston has transformed into a running team leading the league in rush attempts last year and 3rd in rushing TDs. That's a trend that looks to continue this year with Foster and Tate.Johnson is coming off another injury plagued season and seems to constantly battle leg problems. Not good for a WR.Schuab is coming off another injury and has his own share of problems over the years.Even when he was healthy and clearly the #1WR in the game Andre never recorded double digit TDs.Again, I love Johnson as a player but there are several other guys who have more upside IMO based on the offenses they play in and overall situations.

I love Andre Johnson and was one of his biggest proponents dating back before his ascent to the #1WR in FF.However, this comment sounds more like that of a fan than a FF player. He's a great talent and the argument can be made for him still being the best all around WR in the game though that's far from definitive. But there are several reasons I think he belongs ranked outside of the top 5 headed into 1012.Houston has transformed into a running team leading the league in rush attempts last year and 3rd in rushing TDs. That's a trend that looks to continue this year with Foster and Tate.Johnson is coming off another injury plagued season and seems to constantly battle leg problems. Not good for a WR.Schuab is coming off another injury and has his own share of problems over the years.Even when he was healthy and clearly the #1WR in the game Andre never recorded double digit TDs.Again, I love Johnson as a player but there are several other guys who have more upside IMO based on the offenses they play in and overall situations.
You're right i am clearly a very big AJ fan :) . I will say though that if he does play 16 games I truly believe he is the #2 fantasy wr (I'm not crazy enough to argue him over Calvin Johnson). Yes Houston is a little more of a running team right now, but the players people are ranking over him also have some potential issues (obviously we are nit picking for 2nd-early 3rd round picks).Julio Jones- Had an amazing first pre season game, in his 2nd game he also looked excellent but his numbers certainly don't jump off the page. Yes they are going to throw more this year but they still have Roddy and Tony Gonzalez who will both clearly see a high number of targets and TD's. He was also injured last year and is just a second year player. AJ Green- His situation is very similar to AJ's imo. Clear #1 target on his team, Cin will also run plenty. Talent wise I think he is fairly close but still not quite to AJ's level. Texans will likely score more points and also have an easier schedule (AJ's playoff schedule actually looks pretty damn good, Green has Pitt and Philly).Larry Fitz- He, Andre, and Calvin are the most talented wr's in the league imo. Clearly though fitz has issues at qb and thus his ceiling is simply not that high. He is safe, and is a mortal lock to produce top 15 numbers as long as he is on the field, but I dont see #1 or even #3-4 overall wr upside.Welker- I have seen a big split on were people are willing to take him, and personally don't consider him in the top overall wr format, but in a ppr I guess you could argue it. I think that with the addition of Lloyd though, talk of Hernandez getting more targets, and just the overall number of weapons, that he simply becomes a very safe and solid wr choice in a ppr.You can argue other players certainly, but imo all have as many or more potential things holding them back from the #2 overall wr as the guys listed above. If Andre Johnson plays healthy all 16 games he WILL finish top 10, he almost certainly will finish top 5, and he has a damn good chance to finish #2 (or who knows maybe #1?).

I don't feel comfortable with my Wr2 overallbut I have Andre Johnson. I say that because of the injuries the last 2 seasons but I think he's still got it and if healthy all year he'll be right there at the top.

Love the upside of Green and Julio but Green's Qb will limit him to be top 2 and Julio still has a legit WR1 opposite him.

After this year it could easily be Julio or AJ Green.

But atm im gonna have to go with Fitzgerald, Nicks or Andre.

So you guys are saying that AJ Green would probably be the best value pick?
Whats his ADP?This year so far I have Nicks as being the shark move at WR, but thats just my opinion.Ive seen him go late 3rd early 4th in 12 team leagues. I can understand people taking Cruz a few picks ahead of him, makes way more sense than the people preaching up and down last year when they took Manningham ahead of him, but when Cruz is going in the 2nd early 3rd sometimes, I just dont get it.

Just from talking with people in my league it seems Green is around a 3rd or 4th rounder. Also haven't heard anyone talk about Colston much in my opinion he is the best value pick.

I'm confused. The title of the thread is "2nd best receiver" but now you're talking about best value.

Which answer do you want?

Also haven't heard anyone talk about Colston much in my opinion he is the best value pick.
Hes competing for first with Dwayne Bowe and Desean Jackson for the most over rated WRs in the NFL ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the young studs will step up to #2. AJ Green, Julio, or Dez.

Or maybe not. Fitzy will still get his.

There is no clear #2, which is why most of the top 15 WR ADP is too high.
This sums it up IMO. You can make an argument for Fitz, AJ, Green, Welker, Nicks, Nelson, Jennings, and a few others but it's all opinion, choice, feel, or whatever after The Megatron if you ask me.I'll let others start the trend and grab any one of there WRs on the backside of the run. If I miss, I feel there are 5 or so more I'll be happy with.

Yea it was about the number 2 receiver I just saw that a bunch of you kept saying AJ green. I haven't heard him getting put with that 2nd tier behind Calvin until a lot of you starting saying so. So that's why I said he would be a great value pick. I just started this thread to see if there was a "hands down" number 2 receiver and a couple of you said AJ Green so what I gathered from this was instead of wasting a 2nd rounder on the other AJ or Fitz I could get Green in the 3rd or 4th and have just as good of a chance as him being the number 2 wr this season. I'm trying to get 3 stud wideouts and just wanted everyone's take on who they like.

Yea it was about the number 2 receiver I just saw that a bunch of you kept saying AJ green. I haven't heard him getting put with that 2nd tier behind Calvin until a lot of you starting saying so. So that's why I said he would be a great value pick. I just started this thread to see if there was a "hands down" number 2 receiver and a couple of you said AJ Green so what I gathered from this was instead of wasting a 2nd rounder on the other AJ or Fitz I could get Green in the 3rd or 4th and have just as good of a chance as him being the number 2 wr this season. I'm trying to get 3 stud wideouts and just wanted everyone's take on who they like.
In the last few years I've tried to hit on 2 top notch WRs in the 1st 4 rounds if the trends will allow me to be so greedy. Then either try to hit homers in the later rounds and/or scan the waivers for the next big thing. This is in a start 3 WRs, which I think you're talking about. In a start 2 the number drops to 1 and so does my strategy.

Also haven't heard anyone talk about Colston much in my opinion he is the best value pick.
Hes competing for first with Dwayne Bowe and Desean Jackson for the most over rated WRs in the NFL ever.
Not sure how Colston is overrated look at his ppg last season. Brees has to throw his 5,000 yards to someone besides for Jimmy Graham this year.
Or still Jimmy Graham and Sproles.
Who I'm sure are going to put up 120 catches for 1500 yards a piece and leave 2000 yards for the rest of the team..........To answer the thread question it almost has to be Fitz. He has been consistant his entire career with mostly bad QB play the last 3(?) seasons or more. When picking guys you cannot just say "well Fitz won't be the second best receiver so he shouldn't be the second receiver taken".I look at players in rankings of 5. especially early on. Who is more likely to be top 5 based off recent history? Fitz or Andre? Fitz or Green? Fitz or Julio? In all of those cases id say Fitz has the higher chance and is this safer of a pick.Saying that I'll have Fitz zero times in leagues because of how badly RB scares me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread