What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd tier Dynasty Prospects Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

rabidfireweasel

Footballguy
I saw a good bit of him his first two years when I lived in Houston. He had a great freshman season, and then slid a bit this year. He is a very hard player to get a read on for me. He is very athletic, throws well on the run, will also step up into the pocket (something another QB in Houston will not do), has played all four years and is very experienced. He took care of the ball this year and led Houston to the conference USA title. That doesn't sound like much, but UH was a disaster before he got there. An absolute disaster.

On the negative side, he might be a shade short (he listed as 6'3", but that would surprise me), and has actually been in the exact same system for 8 years- he had the same coach/system in HS.

So draftniks, where do you see him drafted and how much success do you think he will have? I think he has about a 35% chance to be a viable starter in the league.

We'll be talking about Kolb a lot in the offseason. I have him sitting squarely atop the 3rd tier after Quinn/Russell and Stanton/Smith. I expect him to make it into the first day - if Clemens/Jackson/Croyle/Whitehurst can, Kolb sure can. He seems like he'd work best in a WCO that would have him move around and make quick reads all over the field.

The Texans could toss the hometown fans a bone by taking him in the early 3rd. I think Kubiak could do good things with a QB like Kolb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing- Houston, Round 3. I see him as having David Carr/Jake Plummer like skills- athletic and mobile. I think he could, with experience, make quicker decisions and fewer mistakes than those guys. I am curious about Kubiak as a game planning architect. Shanahan ran the show in Denver. How much does Kubiak take from that system, and how much does he reconfigure?

Speaking Carr and Houston, in terms of playing style Kolb does remind of Carr. Not so sure if that is a compliment though. He has good mobility and what looks to be a strong arm. Because UH's goofy system the chances are that he won't be ready for at least one year and maybe a couple. Qbs with talent tend to go higher than they grade out, so I would not be shocked to see him go as high as the lower end of round 1 depending on the offense season stuff.

In terms of system, Kubiak's model looks alot like Denver's with all the bootlegs. There has been a ton of three step drops in Houston's passing game, but I don't think Kubiak trusts the combination of Carr's reading of defenses nor the OLs ability to protect using 5 and 7 step passes regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread