What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3rd Pick in First Round (1 Viewer)

tonyftony716

Footballguy
Hi All,

Thanks for having me on your boards. This is my first post but I am a long time listener to The Audible.

I have the number 3 pick in this years draft. Here is the point breakdown:

Passing, receiving and rushing TD's- 6 points

Points per reception 1/2 point

25yds 1 point per 25 yards

bonus after 100 yards 3 points

deduction for fumbles/interceptions -2 points

Start: 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR,1TE

So with this point set up(which favors QB's) am I reaching too far to draft a QB with the number 3 pick? 9 of the top 10 point scorers in last years draft were QB's. Drew Brees lead this and had 37 more points than the next QB. The closest RB was D Williams who had 60 points less than Brees and 35 points more than the closest RB. The highest WR was at #12 (Larry Fitzgerald).

I know normally at number 3 you want to grab a top RB but I just have too many questions about Turner,MJD,Forte,Jackson,Williams Etc to make them a slam dunk at 3. I am pretty confident though that Brees is going to be a top 3 QB. The problem i set up myself for is what type of RB I have left in the 2nd or 3rd round (snake draft) and if I don't draft Brees what will be left at QB? Based on previous years the top 4 QB's are sure to be gone. I'm am much less confident in QB's after the top 4.

Sorry if I sounded to wordy. If you need further information I'll be happy to reply. I would love to hear someones opinion on this.

Thanks

NO... Draft a top 4 RB and move on.... Then draft a top WR in the 2nd... Done... Discussion over...

If you're serious about a QB, then grab one at the 3/4 turn if one of the top 2nd tier guys are there, which they should be.

I think you should make a list of all the players that will be gone by the time you pick in the second round. Then look at your list and pick the one that you cant live without. There are lots of quality running backs and wide recievers this year. Taking a QB early isnt usually my preference, but if that is your inclination - there is a lot to be said for locking that position down. If you wait on a quarterback, you will likely feel the need to take two middle of the road qbs in the middle rounds. If you take a qb early, you can wait until near the end of your draft and take your backup. You will be more able to adjust to value in rounds 6-9 if you dont need to take 2 qbs.

I have played long enough that I have seen that different strategies can all work if you catch the right breaks. Dont get locked into the "consensus" 3rd pick. Every year sees about half of the first round turn out to be a bust. Your best option is to do what you want as long as your arent taking a guy that will be available at your next pick.

I'm in almost exactly the same kind of draft spot you are in, but my situation is weighted even more towards QB's with .5pt/completion and only -1pt/int. I've been doing mock draft after mock draft on the DD tool and it is always telling me to go QB at the #3 spot despite my gut reaction to it. I've found that I can wind up with a pretty good team if I got QB there and can usually snag a RB pair like R Brown and McFadden in the next few rounds which realistically may be as good as any duo this year.

With the ppr I'm also considering WR there like Fitz. I'm drafting on Sunday afternoon, when are you on the clock? How big is your league? Mine is a 14 team league so I know that if I want a Brady/Brees I need to take him at #3 b/c he won't last until pick #26.

What about taking Moss or Fitz? Is there any sure thimg about Turner/Forte/MJD?

I don't think so.

I'm in almost exactly the same kind of draft spot you are in, but my situation is weighted even more towards QB's with .5pt/completion and only -1pt/int. I've been doing mock draft after mock draft on the DD tool and it is always telling me to go QB at the #3 spot despite my gut reaction to it. I've found that I can wind up with a pretty good team if I got QB there and can usually snag a RB pair like R Brown and McFadden in the next few rounds which realistically may be as good as any duo this year.With the ppr I'm also considering WR there like Fitz. I'm drafting on Sunday afternoon, when are you on the clock? How big is your league? Mine is a 14 team league so I know that if I want a Brady/Brees I need to take him at #3 b/c he won't last until pick #26.
Thanks for the input guys. Draft is Sunday afternoon. It's a 12 team league (with keepers for selections made the previous year after round 8). A previous post said it best. To lock in the player who should be the leading point scorer at my slot is a good feeling no matter what position he plays in. Frankly I don't see much of a difference between Turner,Forte, Thomlinson then I do from someone who will be there at 2:10. Actually the RB's at 2:10 probably have more upside. If MJD falls I may have more to think about here but i'm expecting AD and MJD going 1,2. I've considered WR (Fitzgerald specifically). I think though I can get a good value WR at 2:10 who will not out produce Fitzgerald but based on where he falls to will be a good selection. Thanks again for everyone's opinion and input.

Sticking with the 3rd pick would I be a fool to take Brees or Brady there with a scoring system like this

12 team PPR league

qb

TD's are 6 pts

1 pt every 25 yds passing

1 pt every 3 completions

-2 for int

5 bonus pts @ 300 yds passing

5 bonus pts @ 450 yds passing

rb

TD's are 6 pts

1 pt every 10 yds rushing

1 pt every 10 yds receiving

1 pt per reception

5 pt bonus @ 100 yds rushing

5 pt bonus @ 200 yds rushing

It would be nice to lock up a top 3 qb but I will probably go with Sjax, Gore, or LT considering ADP and MJD are gone 1 and 2. Would I be a fool to take a Brees or a Brady at 3?

I am in the 4 spot in my league and thinking about taking Brady or Brees there. My league is very favorable QB scoring. 6 pts for TD's, as well as 1 pt for every 15 yards as opposed to the usual 25. If Turner slides to 4 I may take him but other than that I don't like my other options. I like my options at RB in later rounds so I think I should be fine. Really I think picks 4-8 are no mans land. Really not a good value pick to make there IMO.

I think that #3 is a little too high to grab a QB. If you must get one early, just grab one in round 2 like Rodgers.

Users who are viewing this thread