What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4K TV (1 Viewer)

looking at best buy.....can't seem to find a difference in m series vs p series vizio tv...other than $600...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-home-theater-display-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4989200.p?skuId=4989200

the link is m series...but you can compare to p series..
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio

Basically, HDR10 and Dolby Vision aren't available in the M-series. The local dimming isn't as good and the wide color gamut isn't there in the M-series. It's why I was willing to pay a premium for those things vs the M-series.

To me it seems like HDTVs when they first came out.  They look amazing and all when you have certain content going into them.  With HDR10 and Dolby Vision, you're paying a premium for a TV when there simply isn't a whole lot of content that can take advantage of those capabilities.  At this point, I'd just be getting a TV to replace one that's working perfectly fine.  I'll wait a bit till this stuff sorts itself out (and they inevitably come down in price). 

At this point, I'd just be getting a TV to replace one that's working perfectly fine.  I'll wait a bit till this stuff sorts itself out (and they inevitably come down in price). 
Yep. My nearly 10 year-old Panasonic 720P plasma still looks and works great. I kind of hope it dies so I have an excuse to get a 4K.

Yep. My nearly 10 year-old Panasonic 720P plasma still looks and works great. I kind of hope it dies so I have an excuse to get a 4K.
I nearly did just that myself on Friday.  I was up anyway getting something else and stopped in the local Wal Mart.  Still had their "doorbuster" TV deal available - $298 for a 55" 4k from Philips.  I doubt it has any of the stuff above in it's specs, so I'd just be getting it to replace a perfectly fine 42" 1080p Samsung in the family room.  Don't have any 4k source I can plug into it, though, unless I upgrade my Netflix or find out what 4k content is actually available in Amazon video (still can't find a list or anything). 

Andy Dufresne said:
Samsung 55" 4k TV for $500.

That's gotta be about the best deal there is for a 4k TV that size, right?
Unless you want HDR or Dolby Vision.  You can get a same sized Vizio that has both for $200 more, here.  If they have both up on the wall you may want to check out the HDR capable screen to see if you notice the difference. 

Unless you want HDR or Dolby Vision.  You can get a same sized Vizio that has both for $200 more, here.  If they have both up on the wall you may want to check out the HDR capable screen to see if you notice the difference. 
Thanks, I'm sure l'd notice the difference. But not $200 worth.

Heard yesterday that the last manufacturer of 3D TVs (I think LG) will stop making them in 2018.  Back when I was looking at my last bigscreen (it's been years) I debated spending the extra few hundred to get a 3d model, but decided against it.  Good thing, apparently.

So with that said, with all these new TV technologies on the market, which are just marketing hype and which will actually end up being a thing?  4k?  HDR?  120 refresh rate?  10 bit vs 12 bit color?  Smart TV (which I've kinda been against vs a separate smart device connected to it)?

And for you guys who know these kind of things - what about on the audio side of it?  I have an older Onkyo receiver (first major one that had the blu-ray audio codecs built in), but may look to upgrade it in the near future.  Dolby Atmos?  HDCP 2.2?  What does that even mean?  DTS:X?

Thanks!

Heard yesterday that the last manufacturer of 3D TVs (I think LG) will stop making them in 2018.  Back when I was looking at my last bigscreen (it's been years) I debated spending the extra few hundred to get a 3d model, but decided against it.  Good thing, apparently.

So with that said, with all these new TV technologies on the market, which are just marketing hype and which will actually end up being a thing?  4k?  HDR?  120 refresh rate?  10 bit vs 12 bit color?  Smart TV (which I've kinda been against vs a separate smart device connected to it)?

And for you guys who know these kind of things - what about on the audio side of it?  I have an older Onkyo receiver (first major one that had the blu-ray audio codecs built in), but may look to upgrade it in the near future.  Dolby Atmos?  HDCP 2.2?  What does that even mean?  DTS:X?

Thanks!
IMO all of those things you mentioned (4k, HDR, Dolby Vision, Atmos, HDCP, etc) are just advancements in the technology. They will be around as long as it takes to advance to the next new one. When you're ready to make the jump you make it, look at what's out there and determine if it has value to you or not and then buy.

After 8 good years,  I think we're finally getting another TV.  This is a good place to start 
Well still haven't gotten but moving in a few months and have to now.  Are they any great deals out there today? Are the Samsung SUHD still the ones to have for the value or is there something else now?  Haven't looked lately but they were about 1500 last I checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well still haven't gotten but moving in a few months and have to now.  Are they any great deals out there today? Are the Samsung SUHD still the ones to have for the value or is there something else now?  Haven't looked lately but they were about 1500 last I checked.
Think you can get a 65" Samsung QLED for around that....or could on black friday.

Users who are viewing this thread