What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

Nothing is easier than the age 20 song. Well, I suppose the only easier thing would have been if I chose the full (double) album. But this song's impact far outweighs the album. Even if I think cuts from the album were better. That isn't the point of this exercise for me. But, anyway.

Age 20 song - Hey Ya, OutKast

There were so many songs to describe college. There were so many songs to describe the immediate aftermath to our post-napster/morpheus/limewire music world - and that will play a major role in my age 20 album. But I don't think any one song influenced such a wide range of different people from different backgrounds than this one. And ultimately, that's what college is all about.

Age 20 song- Minor Threat

Hear me out. This song came out when I was 2 or 3. BUT, I got to sing this song with some punk rock legends (greg hetson, bobby schayer, derek obrien and eric melvin) at Warped Tour. 

They had this punk rock karaoke thing where they played and people signed up to sing. I signed up for Minor Threat and felt like a punk rock legend for a minute and a half in front of 30,000 punkers. 

Good ole days, amirite. 

Age 20 single:

Following up from the let-down that was my age 15 year, my age 20 year actually WAS one of the best years of my life, and all I can say about it is that it just happened, I didn't have anything to do with precipitating any of the events of that year. 

'85 was one of the suckier years I'd endured up to that point; I was bombing in community college, had no idea what to do with myself and was too scared to try any 'career' I thought I would have been qualified to go into with just a HS diploma. The ensuing Spring semester of '86 went surprisingly well, plus a friend of mine had turned me on to some great music, with an emphasis on Aussie bands like INXS and the Hoodoo Gurus, so I had some awesome mix tapes to listen to on my way back and forth from classes, and I had just replaced my first car, a '77 Ford LTD with a '80 Toyota Supra (this is the closest I could find to what mine actually looked like, the biggest difference is mine didn't have the sunroof),  which became a companion as well as a car, thanks to all the time and miles I spent with it. The hottest girl I would ever date PICKED ME UP at a bar that Spring, and I had THE Summer we all must have to confirm that we have lived a full life.

It was tough picking one song out of several candidates, so I compromised by having the #2 song for me feature with my album pick. Without further ado, my age 20 single is Everywhere I Go - The Call. Due to its release date it misses the cutoff for New Wave, but to me it belongs there in spirit. This song was also a gateway for me into the Call's catalog, which I got a lot of mileage out of in the following years as well.

Age 20 song: Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead

At 19/20 I was a junior in college and while a large part of my crowd were psuedo-Deadheads I was still not really into them other than some of the songs played on classic rock radio. I spent many hours in a room while some one pulled a cassette tape with handwritten songs listed on the cover from various dates and locations and put it into the boom box. While I didn't hate it , it was mostly just background noise to me. One Sunday however my dorm suite-mate Smuff  (RIP) who was among the biggest Heads in my circle had some extra tickets for Madison Square Garden and tried to recruit me to go. I said "no thanks" at first but my friend Steve (not the one from KISS write up) told me I should go as I would like it - he had zero interest in going. I did and that was the start for me. Up until Jerry's death I saw about 35 shows all in the tri-state area (never traveled with them). I've seen some of the other incarnations around 20 times as well. I have many stories from those shows and while I know it's not for everyone, it was surely a great experience. Touch of Grey was the Band's only top 10 hit when it was released in 1987 (when I was 19) but the Dead has been playing it live since 1982. It's not my favorite by any means but it fits in with the time frame - and while that wasn't why I ended up going to see them it was the song that brought in a whole new set of fans (which some true DeadHeads resented, but most went with the more the merrier attitude).

"We will get by.... We will Survive" = words that ring true today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Northern Voice said:
Looking forward to age 20 song tomorrow. My song basically puts me down the music discovery path I've been on the last 15-20 years. My wife had lyrics from it engraved on my old 80gb iPod. It's pretty good. 
Alright, this is probably the easiest pick of the draft for me.

I went through the late 90s and early 00s at the end of my country phase, and mostly listening to mainstream rock music - the big shiny tunes series and the like, until a TV show came along that introduced me to the world of indie music. 

That show was "The O.C.", which was actually a pretty fun show for most of it's run. It had a sort of meta-commentary element of it, paying homage to Melrose Place and 90210 of the past while updating it with a more modern take (and now I think Riverdale is basically doing the same thing, though I haven't watched more than the first couple episodes because I'm not 20 anymore). 

It also had a killer soundtrack.

This song was in season one, episode 5, which aired 8 days after my 20th birthday and like I said, the music in the show in general and this song in particular sent me down a path of music discovery that I haven't quit since that time.

That music discovery lead to a love of MP3 folders and for one of my birthdays a couple years later, my then-girlfriend, now-wife bought me an 80GB iPod with lyrics from this song engraved on the back. In an amazing twist, I've heard this song covered live by maybe my favourite live band, Arkells, which had me close to tears at the time.

I always liked music, before this age I had favourite songs and bands and made mixtapes and CD-R's but from this moment forward it was to a whole new level and started to become a huge part of who I am, an obsession to find more and more and then go back and see what I had missed, and to discuss music on internet message boards. I think it's also where I find music that is "mine" - the country and def leppard were what my brother listened to, the mainstream rock was just what was "popular" at the time, this was different, so thank you middling teen soap opera.

Age 20 Song - Spoon - The Way We Get By

20 yrs. Old Song: 

Surfin' USA - Jesus & Mary Chain

🎼 back in the summer of '89, woooahh 🎼

(ok, that's lame as ####)

guess who was finally going to the "Coast"?  yep, i latched on to a gig at a testing outfit in Hoboken that ran analytics on just about any product under the sun ... i glommed a niche in their food service arm, and donned a lab coat and wore safety glasses and fiddled with beakers and burners and sodium metabisulfite - which we used to preserve the membranes in our reverse osmosis caffeine analysis  tanks ... and of which i accidentally tapped one night shift in lieu of my blow (which was on me 24/7/365 by this time)  - the jars were side by side, i goofed - had a hell of a time explaining to the nurse why, exactly, i needed to massage that #### on my gums 🤓

was introduced to the powder in October of '88, whilst huddled in my buddy Caz's basement - there were about 20 or so folks down there, and the booze and blow were flying - i had never tried it, never cared to try it, never planned on trying it - upshot was that no one was smoking weed ... i just couldn't stand being around the mellow and goofy strains of any "Nod Squad" ... i wanted action, not turning into a puddle of pudding. 

the big draw that had us in the basement that day was taking great pleasure in seeing the ####### Muttsies get their asses handed to them by the Orel Hershisers (or the Dodgers, if you will)  ... we couldn't stand to have another Muttsie WS championship, '86 was pure hell (yeah, all Yankees fans present and accounted for down there).   

in the midst of our celebrations, Caz offered me a line - sure, why the #### not, ya know?  

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀!

mind you, at this point of the addiction, it was all fun and games, and the single greatest high you could ever hope for ... had yet to hit the "need an 8 ball just for maintenance" wall, nor was coming down the horror show it would be during the latter stages.  i was just "LOUD/FAST/RULES!!!", much like the music i dug so much. 

it lends itself to that breakneck pace, same way the Dead lend themselves to the nod squad ... soundtracks of our drug addled, youths, amirite?  ya just couldn't listen to a 40 minute ####in' jam of "Friend of the Devil" wired on coke, just as ya couldn't pogo yer ### off to the Exploited when mellowed by weed ... ehhh, to each their own, and YMMV, of course. 

so a vial and a packet or two stashed on my person became the norm.  it was a glorious love affair, and i was it's perfect foil - compulsive, mercurial, impatient ... DEPENDENT. 

it helped me excel on the night shifts i volunteered for ... you'd get fitty cent more per hour, and they would rotate weekly, but many of the older chaps wanted to be home with family, etc, so i would gladly take their spots.   would pull 7p to 7a for weeks at a time - radio/casette/cd player at my side (we were forbidden to wear walkmen or any kinda headphones for safety concerns).

always worked out a plan with my partner on that shift ... from 7p-10p we would set up all tests as per the Chem Es protocol ... we'd have two dozen or so running each night.  once they were all in their ovens or baths or freezers or tanks, we'd part ways - partner would hold the fort from10p-1a as i would hit the streets of Hoboken, hitting bars and sneaking bumps.  i never got so drunk as to not be able to perform back at the lab, and the coke evened it out, anyways ... it was a simpatico sitch, and i adapted quite well. 

i'd creep back in to the facility at a bit after 1a, and partner would then go and nap for the next three hours - we'd reconvene as a team at 4, and get down to the biz at hand, as most of the tests were completed and ready for data collection. 

one of our better clients was a coffee company located in Moonachie (home of Giants Stadium) - i was a hotshot caffeine expert by this time, and that company was perfecting ways of eliminating Ethyl Acetate and Methylene Chloride from their decaff process, as the FDA was moving to ban said procedures.  they developed a natural process, using high pressure co2. we'd recoup their caffeine content via the reverse osmosis technique i mentioned earlier - we'd take the water from their extraction tower and run it through a series of 48 membranes - what was pretty neat was the drip valve of concentrate at the end game ... it would come out with a paste like consistency - would eventually dry into pure. white. powder.  100% caffeine, enough to kill ya in just one decent snort. (no, i never tried 😎)

we'd ship the barrels full of this #### back to them, and they'd sell it off to pharma or food/beverage companies - JOLT! cola being a big customer.  believe the hype. 

this coffee company then needed to road test their newfangled decaff offering, this was done via "CLTs" - Central Location Testings ... they paired with a marketing firm from Valhala, N.Y., and proceeded to kick the tires. 

i was asked to go on one of these excursions, to better explain our side of the testing and to give an objective slant to the proceedings .... the test area they asked me to attend was EL LAY, BABY!

J & M Chain were my obsession, musically, at that time (along with the Misfits) - "Psychcandy" changed all i ever thought music could be - i was captured by the seering/blistering feedback and goth-y pop sensibilities of the whole affair - it was simply drenched in abstract brilliance from every note - i recall one critic describing them as "the Ramones meet the Stooges in the Velvet Underground's kitchen while listening to the Beach Boys" - sign me up! 

my gf Kristol felt likewise, and we bonded on everything ... she shared just about every passion in music and film and literature and art as i did ... and she was such a talented artist in her own right - the sweetest, most compassionate and gorgeous soul i ever encountered- she was far too beautiful for the world i showed her, and we lasted as long as she could stand my shennanigans and bull#### - this was our last summer together, and we made the most of it ... all the free time i had was spent as much as possible with her - she sat and watched me hoover boxes full of blow, but she never partook - she was a light drinker, and would smoke a few Marlboros, but that was about it - so her sitting their in my apartment, watching me go bonkers on the ####, started to take it's toll.  she also couldn't stand the junkies and #### nutz i had partying with me constantly ... but our alone time was the greatest i ever spent with anyone, and we really bonded with the music. 

she was kinda pissed about me heading to L.A., because i was gonna be away the weekend her mom was visiting family in Florida (her mom was a Cuban emigre, married an Italian from Brooklyn), giving her the freedom to hang with me all weekend, sleeping over, etc.  was impossible otherwise as her mom hated my guts with a passion ... matter of fact, when we finally broke up, i went to her house to collect my share of the money we made from customizing biker jackets (i would buy them in bulk, and she would paint the most amazing designs/album covers, etc) - her mom threatened to call the cops when she saw me on the stoop, i told her i just wanted my cash ... her mom yelled: " YOU ####### AMERICANS, ALWAYS WITH THE MONEY!!!" - she was pissed - i never heard her go off like that ... she was a very religious type, and very accomplished (was a University professor before fleeing Cuba in '59) - was hard enough on her that her daughter looked like Siouxsie Sioux (mostly due to my Svengali tendencies), but now she had to desl with her greedy ### boyfriend. 

so Kris lent me her luggage, and helped me pack ... i was leaving on a Friday morning, midsummer, and it was hot n' humid as all get out - my Morrissey coif was flopping, and her mascara was a fright - told her i'd call her soon as i landed. 

morning of the flight i got a call from Serge back at work, he told me my flight was actually gonna land in San Diego, and that the girls from the consulting firm would neet me there, and we'd drive up to L.A. together.  cool. 

girls?  hmmm ... now i was getting real psyched for the trip - started hitting the Old Grand Dad (plastic jug), and inhaling powder like i was going to the chair.  made sure i had enough for my flight, and went over the hiding spots with my dealer Johnny, who came over to give me a bon voyage, of sorts. 

once up in the air and smoove, i started to slam the Black Russians ... somewhere over Nebraska i realized that i was the most chemically incapacitated i'd ever been - put on my 'phones, and started blasting away in earnest.  it didn't feel right, and i tried to steady myself.  ehhhh. 

as we were making the approach to San Diego, the pilot announced that we were witnessing a weather anomaly - a cloudy/rainy afternoon - which was few and far between for this destination - we descended out of a very thick cloud bank, and i saw a Spanish tiled roof come up at us outta nowhere, like the ####in' Matterhorn  - was ####tin' myself thinking we were ginna clip it - was kinda awesome, in the "rush of a lifetime" vain.  we literally fell out the clouds - was so damn surreal - though not allowed to have listening devices operating, i did - and as we made that descent i had this Jesus and Mary Chain tune ripping ... i saw the wings and wheels shifting for landing, as i was on the window - that adrenaline was almost as scintillating as being wired - it just meshed so perfectly with the opening salvo of the song - i had a moment!

met the marketing lasses at the Hertz counter, aaaand, yeah - i knew this was gonna be a hoot - both in their mid 20s, and quite attractive.  first thing they asked?  "you wanna go for a drink before the ride?" 😅 

i found a bathroom and bumped some more - i waved off the drinks, though they insisted, seeing as how they had a bottomless per diem to rip through - so i banged a few more Blacks, and off we went. 

we were set up in the same hotel, and i checked in asap - called Kris, but while i was on the phone the two ladies barged in - pretty stewed, as they spent an hour at the hotel bar - Kris heard them carrying on, and hung the #### up.  that left a mark. 

i had never been to L.A. - i was dying to see the "Coast"!  the land of Mr. Mojo Risin'!  wanted to see that "bloody red sun of fantastic L.A." - but i deferred to an all night party with the marketing chicks.   it had to be done.  it really did. 

next morning, guess what? WE ACTUALLY HAD WORK TO DO!  the CLT was set up to run at a Church community center in Santa Monica, and we had to be there by 10 a.m.  

the girls called me and said they were in the lobby waiting - hell, i hadn't even opened my eyes yet - got down there in 15 minutes, and these two were as buttoned up and sober and professional as could be.  holy ####.  

we went and ran the taste tests, i did my schtick via explaining the caffeine removal analytics process, then a whole buncha yentas and soccer moms and a few homeless lookin' types sat and evaluated.   the test wound up a huge success, we ran three sessions, and each scored well over a 90% approval.  the product was gonna be deemed fit for mass distribution out there. mission accomplished, for me - they had to fly up to Beaverton, Oregon to run a few more up there.  they left that evening at 10, and i never saw 'em again. 

i had a free Sunday morning/afternoon, as i was flying back red eye that night.  was up very early, and struck up a convo with a waitress at the hotel restaurant- gorgeous Mexican girl by the name of "Pah-Mehh-Lah"( that's how she pronounced it) , or "Pamela", for us gringos 🤓

she agreed to meet up with me once she got off, which she arranged to be earlier than usual (11ish) - she called me, and told me to meet her at the bar area.   we talked for a few minutes, then she offered to show me as much of L.A. as we could fit in - went and grabbed a few casettes ( she wouldn't come in my room - yet), and off we drove. 

she had a Camaro with T-tops - hell yeah!  it was a beautiful, cloudless day, and i was zapped by the palm trees and sights and sounds and people and the shoreline and the sun and the palm trees, again - we stopped to hit the beach, and i dipped.  she laughed at my "touristy" hijinks (the way i did/do back here), and pulled me back to the car. 

she loved the music, she was a fan of the Cure and the Smiths (Morrissey has a yuuuuuge following in the Mexican community there), so i was a natural fit for her.   the tape rolled on to the "Surfin' USA" part as we approched a light - her eyes lit up, she was digging it so much - so i leaned in, and we had an awesome makeout session .... she held my hand the rest of the way - and on the way back to the hotel we were approaching the same light - she started yammering real fast findthattuneagain!findthattuneagain!" - i furiously rewound (is that a word?) 'til i hit it ("Always the Sun" by the Stranglers was the tune that preceded it, and i wanted it to play, but she was insistent on "Surfin' USA").

as we were nearing the light, she slooowwwed waaayyyy down, as if she wanted to fully stop ... i was like "wtf"?  she said "WAIT!" - and as the light turned red, she recreated the moment we had earlier at that same light, with "Surfin' USA" playing.  this time she leaned in for the kiss.  pretry slick. 

arrived back at the hotel - we grabbed a few cocktails, and she got a light nosh ... then we adjourned to my room.  she was very hesitant to come in, but eventually caved ... we sat and talked and enjoyed each other's company for the next 4 hours or so. it was just about the greatest day i ever spent with another person, and she felt likewise.  it was tough saying goodbye knowing that we'd probably never cross paths again - she admitted to having a serious/steady guy, and i was with Kris back home  - not to mention the 3,000+ mile chasm between us.  

she offered to give me the airport run, but i refused - took her back to where i met her in the restaurant, and we said our goodbyes - she asked for a keepsake, and i obliged - it was the best damn mixed tape i had, easily my favorite ... but now it was hers.  forever. 

epilogue - broke up with Kris for good that coming October.  i've missed her every day since. 

Pamela called me once, on a Friday night right 'round Christmas time that year - she just said "I Love You" and hung up. i had zero chance to reply.  i thought about reaching back out to her, but i kinda felt like she put the bow on it, and knew that it was all she really needed to say. 

Is the real story you tripping down a stairwell and falling headlong? Because I kinda get the feeling that the real story is you tripping and falling headlong. At least, that would be my story.  Mine winds up with synthesizer music and me rocking back in forth in a chair like a rhesus monkey, unable to make things work if I'd had a crane to make them work. There are no pink cookies in a plastic bag getting crushed by buildings. There is me, alone with a mushroom cap, solemnly swearing that it won't have me again, damn it, if I can just get this Phoenix song out of my cotton-loving head. And there would be blockage. Major nasal blockage. No, not bleeding from the cut. But massive balls of snot, just festering up in the inner recesses of the nose, unable to be blown, not allowing me to breathe.

There are no calls out of the blue stating that she loves me. Instead, there is remorse and regret, cloudy and uncertain, directed at nobody, available for all.

But I have to doff my cap and admit a defect of greatness -- great story on your end.  *laughs*

Just remember with me: "Decaf, Hal. I said decaf for this guy!"

20 yrs. Old Song: 

Surfin' USA - Jesus & Mary Chain

🎼 back in the summer of '89, woooahh 🎼

(ok, that's lame as ####)

guess who was finally going to the "Coast"?  yep, i latched on to a gig at a testing outfit in Hoboken that ran analytics on just about any product under the sun ... i glommed a niche in their food service arm, and donned a lab coat and wore safety glasses and fiddled with beakers and burners and sodium metabisulfite - which we used to preserve the membranes in our reverse osmosis caffeine analysis  tanks ... and of which i accidentally tapped one night shift in lieu of my blow (which was on me 24/7/365 by this time)  - the jars were side by side, i goofed - had a hell of a time explaining to the nurse why, exactly, i needed to massage that #### on my gums 🤓

was introduced to the powder in October of '88, whilst huddled in my buddy Caz's basement - there were about 20 or so folks down there, and the booze and blow were flying - i had never tried it, never cared to try it, never planned on trying it - upshot was that no one was smoking weed ... i just couldn't stand being around the mellow and goofy strains of any "Nod Squad" ... i wanted action, not turning into a puddle of pudding. 

the big draw that had us in the basement that day was taking great pleasure in seeing the ####### Muttsies get their asses handed to them by the Orel Hershisers (or the Dodgers, if you will)  ... we couldn't stand to have another Muttsie WS championship, '86 was pure hell (yeah, all Yankees fans present and accounted for down there).   

in the midst of our celebrations, Caz offered me a line - sure, why the #### not, ya know?  

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀!

mind you, at this point of the addiction, it was all fun and games, and the single greatest high you could ever hope for ... had yet to hit the "need an 8 ball just for maintenance" wall, nor was coming down the horror show it would be during the latter stages.  i was just "LOUD/FAST/RULES!!!", much like the music i dug so much. 

it lends itself to that breakneck pace, same way the Dead lend themselves to the nod squad ... soundtracks of our drug addled, youths, amirite?  ya just couldn't listen to a 40 minute ####in' jam of "Friend of the Devil" wired on coke, just as ya couldn't pogo yer ### off to the Exploited when mellowed by weed ... ehhh, to each their own, and YMMV, of course. 

so a vial and a packet or two stashed on my person became the norm.  it was a glorious love affair, and i was it's perfect foil - compulsive, mercurial, impatient ... DEPENDENT. 

it helped me excel on the night shifts i volunteered for ... you'd get fitty cent more per hour, and they would rotate weekly, but many of the older chaps wanted to be home with family, etc, so i would gladly take their spots.   would pull 7p to 7a for weeks at a time - radio/casette/cd player at my side (we were forbidden to wear walkmen or any kinda headphones for safety concerns).

always worked out a plan with my partner on that shift ... from 7p-10p we would set up all tests as per the Chem Es protocol ... we'd have two dozen or so running each night.  once they were all in their ovens or baths or freezers or tanks, we'd part ways - partner would hold the fort from10p-1a as i would hit the streets of Hoboken, hitting bars and sneaking bumps.  i never got so drunk as to not be able to perform back at the lab, and the coke evened it out, anyways ... it was a simpatico sitch, and i adapted quite well. 

i'd creep back in to the facility at a bit after 1a, and partner would then go and nap for the next three hours - we'd reconvene as a team at 4, and get down to the biz at hand, as most of the tests were completed and ready for data collection. 

one of our better clients was a coffee company located in Moonachie (home of Giants Stadium) - i was a hotshot caffeine expert by this time, and that company was perfecting ways of eliminating Ethyl Acetate and Methylene Chloride from their decaff process, as the FDA was moving to ban said procedures.  they developed a natural process, using high pressure co2. we'd recoup their caffeine content via the reverse osmosis technique i mentioned earlier - we'd take the water from their extraction tower and run it through a series of 48 membranes - what was pretty neat was the drip valve of concentrate at the end game ... it would come out with a paste like consistency - would eventually dry into pure. white. powder.  100% caffeine, enough to kill ya in just one decent snort. (no, i never tried 😎)

we'd ship the barrels full of this #### back to them, and they'd sell it off to pharma or food/beverage companies - JOLT! cola being a big customer.  believe the hype. 

this coffee company then needed to road test their newfangled decaff offering, this was done via "CLTs" - Central Location Testings ... they paired with a marketing firm from Valhala, N.Y., and proceeded to kick the tires. 

i was asked to go on one of these excursions, to better explain our side of the testing and to give an objective slant to the proceedings .... the test area they asked me to attend was EL LAY, BABY!

J & M Chain were my obsession, musically, at that time (along with the Misfits) - "Psychcandy" changed all i ever thought music could be - i was captured by the seering/blistering feedback and goth-y pop sensibilities of the whole affair - it was simply drenched in abstract brilliance from every note - i recall one critic describing them as "the Ramones meet the Stooges in the Velvet Underground's kitchen while listening to the Beach Boys" - sign me up! 

my gf Kristol felt likewise, and we bonded on everything ... she shared just about every passion in music and film and literature and art as i did ... and she was such a talented artist in her own right - the sweetest, most compassionate and gorgeous soul i ever encountered- she was far too beautiful for the world i showed her, and we lasted as long as she could stand my shennanigans and bull#### - this was our last summer together, and we made the most of it ... all the free time i had was spent as much as possible with her - she sat and watched me hoover boxes full of blow, but she never partook - she was a light drinker, and would smoke a few Marlboros, but that was about it - so her sitting their in my apartment, watching me go bonkers on the ####, started to take it's toll.  she also couldn't stand the junkies and #### nutz i had partying with me constantly ... but our alone time was the greatest i ever spent with anyone, and we really bonded with the music. 

she was kinda pissed about me heading to L.A., because i was gonna be away the weekend her mom was visiting family in Florida (her mom was a Cuban emigre, married an Italian from Brooklyn), giving her the freedom to hang with me all weekend, sleeping over, etc.  was impossible otherwise as her mom hated my guts with a passion ... matter of fact, when we finally broke up, i went to her house to collect my share of the money we made from customizing biker jackets (i would buy them in bulk, and she would paint the most amazing designs/album covers, etc) - her mom threatened to call the cops when she saw me on the stoop, i told her i just wanted my cash ... her mom yelled: " YOU ####### AMERICANS, ALWAYS WITH THE MONEY!!!" - she was pissed - i never heard her go off like that ... she was a very religious type, and very accomplished (was a University professor before fleeing Cuba in '59) - was hard enough on her that her daughter looked like Siouxsie Sioux (mostly due to my Svengali tendencies), but now she had to desl with her greedy ### boyfriend. 

so Kris lent me her luggage, and helped me pack ... i was leaving on a Friday morning, midsummer, and it was hot n' humid as all get out - my Morrissey coif was flopping, and her mascara was a fright - told her i'd call her soon as i landed. 

morning of the flight i got a call from Serge back at work, he told me my flight was actually gonna land in San Diego, and that the girls from the consulting firm would neet me there, and we'd drive up to L.A. together.  cool. 

girls?  hmmm ... now i was getting real psyched for the trip - started hitting the Old Grand Dad (plastic jug), and inhaling powder like i was going to the chair.  made sure i had enough for my flight, and went over the hiding spots with my dealer Johnny, who came over to give me a bon voyage, of sorts. 

once up in the air and smoove, i started to slam the Black Russians ... somewhere over Nebraska i realized that i was the most chemically incapacitated i'd ever been - put on my 'phones, and started blasting away in earnest.  it didn't feel right, and i tried to steady myself.  ehhhh. 

as we were making the approach to San Diego, the pilot announced that we were witnessing a weather anomaly - a cloudy/rainy afternoon - which was few and far between for this destination - we descended out of a very thick cloud bank, and i saw a Spanish tiled roof come up at us outta nowhere, like the ####in' Matterhorn  - was ####tin' myself thinking we were ginna clip it - was kinda awesome, in the "rush of a lifetime" vain.  we literally fell out the clouds - was so damn surreal - though not allowed to have listening devices operating, i did - and as we made that descent i had this Jesus and Mary Chain tune ripping ... i saw the wings and wheels shifting for landing, as i was on the window - that adrenaline was almost as scintillating as being wired - it just meshed so perfectly with the opening salvo of the song - i had a moment!

met the marketing lasses at the Hertz counter, aaaand, yeah - i knew this was gonna be a hoot - both in their mid 20s, and quite attractive.  first thing they asked?  "you wanna go for a drink before the ride?" 😅 

i found a bathroom and bumped some more - i waved off the drinks, though they insisted, seeing as how they had a bottomless per diem to rip through - so i banged a few more Blacks, and off we went. 

we were set up in the same hotel, and i checked in asap - called Kris, but while i was on the phone the two ladies barged in - pretty stewed, as they spent an hour at the hotel bar - Kris heard them carrying on, and hung the #### up.  that left a mark. 

i had never been to L.A. - i was dying to see the "Coast"!  the land of Mr. Mojo Risin'!  wanted to see that "bloody red sun of fantastic L.A." - but i deferred to an all night party with the marketing chicks.   it had to be done.  it really did. 

next morning, guess what? WE ACTUALLY HAD WORK TO DO!  the CLT was set up to run at a Church community center in Santa Monica, and we had to be there by 10 a.m.  

the girls called me and said they were in the lobby waiting - hell, i hadn't even opened my eyes yet - got down there in 15 minutes, and these two were as buttoned up and sober and professional as could be.  holy ####.  

we went and ran the taste tests, i did my schtick via explaining the caffeine removal analytics process, then a whole buncha yentas and soccer moms and a few homeless lookin' types sat and evaluated.   the test wound up a huge success, we ran three sessions, and each scored well over a 90% approval.  the product was gonna be deemed fit for mass distribution out there. mission accomplished, for me - they had to fly up to Beaverton, Oregon to run a few more up there.  they left that evening at 10, and i never saw 'em again. 

i had a free Sunday morning/afternoon, as i was flying back red eye that night.  was up very early, and struck up a convo with a waitress at the hotel restaurant- gorgeous Mexican girl by the name of "Pah-Mehh-Lah"( that's how she pronounced it) , or "Pamela", for us gringos 🤓

she agreed to meet up with me once she got off, which she arranged to be earlier than usual (11ish) - she called me, and told me to meet her at the bar area.   we talked for a few minutes, then she offered to show me as much of L.A. as we could fit in - went and grabbed a few casettes ( she wouldn't come in my room - yet), and off we drove. 

she had a Camaro with T-tops - hell yeah!  it was a beautiful, cloudless day, and i was zapped by the palm trees and sights and sounds and people and the shoreline and the sun and the palm trees, again - we stopped to hit the beach, and i dipped.  she laughed at my "touristy" hijinks (the way i did/do back here), and pulled me back to the car. 

she loved the music, she was a fan of the Cure and the Smiths (Morrissey has a yuuuuuge following in the Mexican community there), so i was a natural fit for her.   the tape rolled on to the "Surfin' USA" part as we approched a light - her eyes lit up, she was digging it so much - so i leaned in, and we had an awesome makeout session .... she held my hand the rest of the way - and on the way back to the hotel we were approaching the same light - she started yammering real fast findthattuneagain!findthattuneagain!" - i furiously rewound (is that a word?) 'til i hit it ("Always the Sun" by the Stranglers was the tune that preceded it, and i wanted it to play, but she was insistent on "Surfin' USA").

as we were nearing the light, she slooowwwed waaayyyy down, as if she wanted to fully stop ... i was like "wtf"?  she said "WAIT!" - and as the light turned red, she recreated the moment we had earlier at that same light, with "Surfin' USA" playing.  this time she leaned in for the kiss.  pretry slick. 

arrived back at the hotel - we grabbed a few cocktails, and she got a light nosh ... then we adjourned to my room.  she was very hesitant to come in, but eventually caved ... we sat and talked and enjoyed each other's company for the next 4 hours or so. it was just about the greatest day i ever spent with another person, and she felt likewise.  it was tough saying goodbye knowing that we'd probably never cross paths again - she admitted to having a serious/steady guy, and i was with Kris back home  - not to mention the 3,000+ mile chasm between us.  

she offered to give me the airport run, but i refused - took her back to where i met her in the restaurant, and we said our goodbyes - she asked for a keepsake, and i obliged - it was the best damn mixed tape i had, easily my favorite ... but now it was hers.  forever. 

epilogue - broke up with Kris for good that coming October.  i've missed her every day since. 

Pamela called me once, on a Friday night right 'round Christmas time that year - she just said "I Love You" and hung up. i had zero chance to reply.  i thought about reaching back out to her, but i kinda felt like she put the bow on it, and knew that it was all she really needed to say. 
What I like most is that it feels like you wrote this while on the same kind of bender you describe in the story.  Very 'meta'.

Age 20 song: Traffic - “The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys

In my college years, spent more than a few weekend nights smoking up after a night out and really getting into trippy psychedelic music (which I still love minus the psychedelics). One night one of my dorm mates put on Low Spark - hadn't heard it before and it just blew me away. 
another "long night of the soul" song. for a solid year, this song was the soundtrack of every party i went to

Binky The Doormat said:
15 yr old album: Here Come The Warm Jets - Brian Eno

A little stretching here, this album came out a month or so before I turned 16.  I could have picked so many albums here ...Zeppelin, the Who, ...of course Todd. 

No new story with this one - it follows exactly along with the single choice background.  My musical-influence buddies were all over this. 

Branching off of Roxy Music, this was his first solo album.  This album has a bit of everything - pop, Roxy-influence alt-style, and Robert Fripp's screaming guitar.
you've got an A&R soul, my friend

Man, album days are tough on an old fart. Most of the albums chosen are outside my experience except for their biggest songs and i wanted to experience them in full as i imagine a 15yo diggin out on em. except the hits records - i understand the taste for and personal importance of them, but theyre not an album experience. I'm in my 4th sesh now, almost thru -

Is the real story you tripping down a stairwell and falling headlong? Because I kinda get the feeling that the real story is you tripping and falling headlong. At least, that would be my story.  Mine winds up with synthesizer music and me rocking back in forth in a chair like a rhesus monkey, unable to make things work if I'd had a crane to make them work. There are no pink cookies in a plastic bag getting crushed by buildings. There is me, alone with a mushroom cap, solemnly swearing that it won't have me again, damn it, if I can just get this Phoenix song out of my cotton-loving head. And there would be blockage. Major nasal blockage. No, not bleeding from the cut. But massive balls of snot, just festering up in the inner recesses of the nose, unable to be blown, not allowing me to breathe.

There are no calls out of the blue stating that she loves me. Instead, there is remorse and regret, cloudy and uncertain, directed at nobody, available for all.

But I have to doff my cap and admit a defect of greatness -- great story on your end.  *laughs*

Just remember with me: "Decaf, Hal. I said decaf for this guy!"
🖤 😅

i know you get me, rock - and i was fortunate enought to fall UP the stairs ...

:lol:

What I like most is that it feels like you wrote this while on the same kind of bender you describe in the story.  Very 'meta'.
A.M. caffeine overload has proven to be "morning bender" extraordinaire during this lockdown  :coffee:

Steve Tasker said:
15 Year Old - Album - 50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin'

You thought Ja Rule was ruined after Fyre Festival?  Not so fast, he was actually murdered 17 years ago when this album came out.

An absolute classic.  Not sure what else needs to be said.

"Many Men" / "Patiently Waiting (feat. Eminem)" / "Back Down" / "In da Club"
cant tellya how much i hate #### like this, nor how much i woulda loved it if it had fallen on me as a 15yo. that homicidal nonchalance - if there's any quality a young buck needs as much as that, i dont know what it is...

That show was "The O.C.", which was actually a pretty fun show for most of it's run. It had a sort of meta-commentary element of it, paying homage to Melrose Place and 90210 of the past while updating it with a more modern take (and now I think Riverdale is basically doing the same thing, though I haven't watched more than the first couple episodes because I'm not 20 anymore). 
The O.C. is one of those shows that defines the narrow generation of people born in the mid-late 80s or very early 90s.  The movie American Pie is right in that same sweet spot.  If someone says they love The O.C., you can pinpoint their age within like 5 years without knowing anything else about them.

I loved The O.C.

cantellya how much i hate #### like this, nor how much i woulda loved it if it had fallen on me as a 15yo. that homicidal nonchalance - if there's any quality a young buck needs as much as that, i dont know what it is...
No, no, you're thinking of Young Buck, not 50 Cent.  He's only on track 9 of Get Rich or Die Tryin'.  He didn't really hit it big until a few years later.

The O.C. is one of those shows that defines the narrow generation of people born in the mid-late 80s or very early 90s.  The movie American Pie is right in that same sweet spot.  If someone says they love The O.C., you can pinpoint their age within like 5 years without knowing anything else about them.

I loved The O.C.
Not sure I'd put American Pie with The OC. Even many of us geezers love that movie. 

Without further ado, my age 20 single is Everywhere I Go - The Call. Due to its release date it misses the cutoff for New Wave, but to me it belongs there in spirit. This song was also a gateway for me into the Call's catalog, which I got a lot of mileage out of in the following years as well.
Love this song and the call was a band I dug in the day and only got back into in the last few years. holds up really well and the Bean guy was a hell of a song writer. And wasn't the keyboardist from The Band? Or maybe the Dead?

That's fair, it's a couple years older than The O.C. and I would imagine had much more mass appeal.
The O.C. has aged much better.

I loved the American Pie movies but rewatched the first one recently and it just doesn't hold up well through the lens of 2020, and yes I'm talking in terms of morals/cultural standards. 

If I could,  then I would
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high or down low, I'll go wherever you will go

sorry, wrong song

Love this song and the call was a band I dug in the day and only got back into in the last few years. holds up really well and the Bean guy was a hell of a song writer. And wasn't the keyboardist from The Band? Or maybe the Dead?
Their wiki page says the keyboardist on their first 3 albums, Garth Hudson, had been in The Band, but another took over after that. Their Red Moon album was my favorite, and the title track from it is on my funeral/wake playlist.

Good morning, girls & boys. The word for the day is "participation"

20yo song - (tie) Dance With Me, Orleans, and Your Sweet and Shiny Eyes, Bonnie Raitt

Yes, children, i was in showbiz when i was twenty and had profit participation in the former and personal participation in the latter. Allow me to explain.

I was a special ed teacher's aide my first year out of high scool. That winter, my gf had dragged me to yet another meeting of one of her squillion causes - Zero Population Growth. As we got in the car afterward, Kim asked me a question i didnt understand. Turns out i wasnt paying attention when she had volunteered me to put together a benefit concert for ZPG, since i was from the hood they were targeting and knew a lot of musicians. Because she emptied me like a tornado several times a day, i decided to humor her. I had a relative in Boston Parks & Rec and he found us a venue - a football stadium in Roxbury - and a favor i pulled in got us a local band who were about to be bigger locally than either JGeils or Aerosmith on the way up. The James Montgomery Blues Band opened for the Eagles at Univ of NH that spring and blew them off the stage so badly that the crowd went from 15.000 to 3,000 DURING the Eagle set (never seen Cali boys so mad - ive told the story before). I've also told the story of how my concert snowballed and got crowdstormed but me & my small crew handled it, a big promoter/mgr was there and offered me a big job as a result, resulting in me being on the road w Bonnie Raitt before the year was out.

Thing i dont talk about much is the details inbetween, because they became the subject of a lawsuit with a NDA attached. The only sketch i can give you of the picture is that me and my partners sold ourselves as an outdoor-venue production company and all the promoter really ended up wanting was me. He had an unresolved financial debt (part of the purchase agreement) to me as a result. On the Bonnie Raitt tour, the opening act was four cute boys who made pleasant music the college girls loved, even tho they were there for Bonnie. Thing is, their 1st album tanked and their label liked their 2nd album so little they didnt release it in America. I just remembered the happy college girls so i asked the promoter (who hated to write actual checks to anyone) for half his interest in that band to settle the biz between us. That band was Orleans and "Dance With Me" was on that unreleased album. Hilarious thing about that is their label was ABC Records and, years later, an Orleans song "Still the One" became the theme song of the ABC television network. Before that happened i was sued for malfeasance (they had me dead2rights for poaching a client near the end of her contract) and part of the settlement was the return of my mgmt share in Orleans. *sigh*

For #2, imagine you were in a room where, say, Dave Grohl, Billie Eilish and a Mumford son were jamming, ended up working on a specific song and asked you to help with the harmony. Well, this happened to me. Except for the fact that it was almost 50 years ago, so the musicians were Lowell George, Bonnie Raitt and the best harmony singer who ever lived, JDSouther. Those three were jamming (Lowell jammed EVERY night for hrs&hrs after a gig and had worn his band out widdit) after a tour date where Bonnie opened for Little Feat (Bonnie had an enormous crush on the very-married George) and Lowell had this goofyass song he wanted to cover. They was trying it every whichaway and somebody thought  it should be further goofed as a barbershop harmony. John David had heard my 50s doowopworthy bottom voice and put me in on it. So there i was in a four-part with three of the most tremendous talents of my generation. dongitnobettah -

20 year old song - that would be 1986.  I was in college and was soaking in all the "college rock" that WZMB played.  That was ECU's radio station. My favorite college rock band at this time was REM, and they released Life's Rich Pageant in '86.  My favorite album by them is Reckoning, but LRP is a good album, and "Fall On Me" is my favorite tune from the album.

Fall On Me - REM
ECU aint Athens, but it's Sparta-close

Age 20 single:

Following up from the let-down that was my age 15 year, my age 20 year actually WAS one of the best years of my life, and all I can say about it is that it just happened, I didn't have anything to do with precipitating any of the events of that year. 

'85 was one of the suckier years I'd endured up to that point; I was bombing in community college, had no idea what to do with myself and was too scared to try any 'career' I thought I would have been qualified to go into with just a HS diploma. The ensuing Spring semester of '86 went surprisingly well, plus a friend of mine had turned me on to some great music, with an emphasis on Aussie bands like INXS and the Hoodoo Gurus, so I had some awesome mix tapes to listen to on my way back and forth from classes, and I had just replaced my first car, a '77 Ford LTD with a '80 Toyota Supra (this is the closest I could find to what mine actually looked like, the biggest difference is mine didn't have the sunroof),  which became a companion as well as a car, thanks to all the time and miles I spent with it. The hottest girl I would ever date PICKED ME UP at a bar that Spring, and I had THE Summer we all must have to confirm that we have lived a full life.

It was tough picking one song out of several candidates, so I compromised by having the #2 song for me feature with my album pick. Without further ado, my age 20 single is Everywhere I Go - The Call. Due to its release date it misses the cutoff for New Wave, but to me it belongs there in spirit. This song was also a gateway for me into the Call's catalog, which I got a lot of mileage out of in the following years as well.
a li'l fastback makes every day a holiday....

Round 7.xx - 20 Year-Old Song - Ana Ng - They Might Be Giants

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge/"I don't want the world/I just want your half"

Thus, I knew in humor, life's heartbreak would still prevail. Such a sad, lovely, longingly absurdist song. Greater artists have had a hard time coming up with something so achingly lonely. Hats off.
These guys wouldve been my Genesis - the band i'd bring up every time someone listed their "best" and get squinchface for doing so (NObody regular knew who Genesis were til Gabriel was almost out the door) - if i was that age

20yo.song King Missile - Ed

I've generally had a pretty complicated relationship with anything goofball or "comedy" music .  These guys were always in my wheelhouse though, L-O-L funny at times and this track, while more weird than funny, totally scorches.  Sounds like '92 to me.

I had written more, but I think I used too many spoiler tags.. whatever, nothing important.  I had to do a lot of elimination before I settled on that.

Their wiki page says the keyboardist on their first 3 albums, Garth Hudson, had been in The Band, but another took over after that. Their Red Moon album was my favorite, and the title track from it is on my funeral/wake playlist.
Michael Been's son is a member of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.  The son's middle name is Levon.

20.s  Working Girl  - Spooner

College is an opportunity to reinvent yourself.  Very few people knew who you were in high school.  It's still an insular environment but that doesn't matter as much when you're out on your own for the first time.  When I was 20, I was wearing clothes from thrift stores rather than the ones I got from my parents for Christmas.  I got my hair cut short by a punky college girl in her dorm room.  And it was when I developed my lifelong love for going to see bands in small clubs.

I'd been to concerts growing in Milwaukee but they were always at large venues.  Fortunately Wisconsin was an 18 state at the time so I could start going to bars and clubs shortly after arriving in Madison.  Spooner was _the_ Madison band during my college years and I saw them play out a lot.  They put on a good tight show and had a large following.  I discovered how much fun it was to stand in the crush in front of the stage.  It led me to start going to see other new bands when they made their local tour stop at Merlyn's on State Street.

Spooner was made up of older guys who were more Power Pop than trendier Punk or New Wave bands.  They never broke out of the small Midwestern club scene but drummer Butch Vig and singer Doug Erikson eventually hit it big as members of Garbage.  Working Girl was one of my favorite Spooner songs; I still get a shiver up my spine when the bridge kicks into the last chorus.

20 year old song - The Cure - Just like Heaven

Unfortunately 20yo JML was pretty insufferable. Breaking up with the latest love of his life desperately wanting independence without the emotional skills to deal with it. This song got me through some tough times. I hadnt been a big Cure fan before or after, they were in that i like some of their stuff zone. This song however is perfection. 

Nuff said

20 year old song - The Cure - Just like Heaven

Unfortunately 20yo JML was pretty insufferable. Breaking up with the latest love of his life desperately wanting independence without the emotional skills to deal with it. This song got me through some tough times. I hadnt been a big Cure fan before or after, they were in that i like some of their stuff zone. This song however is perfection. 

Nuff said
Love this song and I appreciate you picking it because I had narrowed my options down to this and one other.  Will go with the other.

Frankly, loving all these 20 year old picks.  Best set of songs so far.  20 year olds know their music.

Users who are viewing this thread