What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (2 Viewers)

45 Yr Old Album: Liars - Todd Rundgren

Well ...I have tried to not let my Todd albums dominate because we do listen to plenty of other stuff.  But it's typically always been a 60% Todd/40% Other - listening mix.  At the time there wasn't anything else I recall that I was listening to in particular at the time.  The album that would dominate our listening in this general time frame came when I was 46, when he put out "Liars."  Man, we played the hell out of that album for a longggg time.  And of course, still play it plenty.  

Allmusic overview:

It has been so long since Todd Rundgren has seemed to take his recording career seriously that it's easy to assume that his 2004 album, Liars, would fit right alongside such follies as the awkwardly interactive TR-i or the bossa nova tribute With a Twist, or perhaps that it's merely like the endearingly messy collection of tunes One Long Year. After nearly 15 years of these kinds of releases, it seemed like Rundgren had drifted into the wilderness, where he was more concerned with technology than crafting albums, so it's an utter shock that Liars isn't only a carefully considered, carefully constructed record, but that it's his best pop album in over 20 years.

Like any of his best albums, it benefits by having a loose theme or at least an overriding concept that focuses Rundgren. The title makes plain what the theme is, but in case you didn't catch it, Todd spells it out in the liner notes: "All of these songs are about a paucity of truth. At first they may seem to be about other things, but that is just a reflection of how much dishonesty we have accepted in our daily lives." Rundgren is furious about lies, whether they come from the government, religion, family, or entertainment. He's angry that the bright optimistic future he was promised as a kid hasn't arrived, he's angry that all the promises of the '60s have been tattered, he's angry that music he's loved has been cheapened and removed of soul, he's angry and despairing about his country and the world, and that anger has led him to shed some of his musical crutches -- particularly an overindulgence on new technology and a penchant for cuteness -- and deliver a tuneful, visceral, catchy album where even the softer, sweeter songs have heavy themes.

Perhaps he decided that the only way his thoughts could be clearly heard is through pop songs both elaborate and simple, but whatever the case, this is the first time he hasn't seemed embarrassed to be writing pop songs since Tortured Artist, but this album has a gravity and urgency that record lacked. He hasn't sounded this engaged or impassioned since The Hermit of Mink Hollow, giving slow, soulful tunes like "Sweet" and "Past" a touchingly bittersweet feel and harder numbers like "Mammon" and "Liar" a visceral, gut-level impact; few angry protest albums have been this catchy. Rundgren has so much to say he lets Liars run long -- longer than A Wizard, a True Star or Todd, actually -- but it's always absorbing and often quite gripping, proof that he not only still retains the ability to surprise, but that he can make an album as provocative and successful as he did during his '70s peak. And that makes Liars one hell of a comeback.
If he hadn't become the best record producer this side of George Martin, i would consider Todd the Jack White of my generation. You're just not going to find more than a handful of people outside those two who know better how to evoke aMAZing musical moments, but fall short of working their way into most of our hearts with it. Maybe it's that they should have been comedians. Comic writers know that what makes them laugh is most likely to make others laugh, that you can't really write for others. In music, it's kinda opposite. A great joke only pokes you in the mind, a great song holds you in its hands. Music is more intimate but White & Rundgren, while wizzes at getting into your boudoir, barely muss the sheets once there and leave you wondering if anything really happened. Song after song after song just tops here, but i'll be singing someone else's tune tomorrow. Weird -

Last edited by a moderator:
50.A  The Defamation of Strickland Banks  - Plan B

I've always loved listening to new music.  In the LP era, I would grab up interesting looking new releases out of the dollar racks.  As the differential cost of unheard music trended to zero in the downloading and streaming eras, I would still check out unfamiliar stuff based on a review or article.  Even at 50 and beyond, one of my favorite things is hearing something new and different from an artist I've never listened to before.

I don't remember exactly how I came about Plan B.  He had 15 minutes of fame in the UK for his audacious concept album that combined Classic Soul sounds with Rap.  Strickland Banks is a fictional character played by the artist who is wrongly imprisoned.  Plan B isn't a great singer or rapper but somehow the combination works for me.  We played the hell out of this album when it came out and saw him in a small club in our neighborhood when he played a handful of US dates.  I've been to a lot of Punk shows over the years but Plan B's concert and audience interaction was among the craziest.  I distinctly remember thinking "what am I doing.  I'm 50" as the bodies flew around me.

She Said

Prayin'

If he hadn't become the best record producer this side of George Martin, i would consider Todd the Jack White of my generation. You're just not going to find more than a handful of people outside those two who know better how to evoke aMAZing musical moments, but fall short of working their way into most of our hearts with it. Maybe it's that they should have been comedians. Comic writers know that what makes them laugh is most likely to make others laugh, that you can't really write for others. In music, it's kinda opposite. A great joke only pokes you in the mind, a great song holds you in its hands. Music is more intimate but White & Rundgren, while wizzes at getting into your boudoir, barely muss the sheets once they get there and leave you wondering if anything really happened. Song after song after song just tops here, but i'll be singing someone else's song tomorrow. Weird -
on the humor side of his music - this seems to apply more now as ever - released Spring of '17

I've gained a new, long overdue appreciation of Glenn since he passed a few years ago.
I've loved Glen since I was little. He was one of my parent's much played country artists that I liked right off the bat.  He was instant gratification to my ears. I loved when they played this greatest hits album. He could sing, play guitar, and he was not bad on the eyes. I vaguely remember his Goodtime Hour being on TV. 

I've gained a new, long overdue appreciation of Glenn since he passed a few years ago.
I've loved Glen since I was little. He was one of my parent's much played country artists that I liked right off the bat.  He was instant gratification to my ears. I loved when they played this greatest hits album. He could sing, play guitar, and he was not bad on the eyes. I vaguely remember his Goodtime Hour being on TV. 
We saw him play the Hollywood Bowl on his 2012 Farewell Tour.  I don't usually cry at concerts but there must have been a lot of pollen in the Hills that night.

Question to the group. 

I know duplicates are allowed.  And there was just no way of getting around the age Beatles multiple picks.  At this point Is it preferable to recognize a favorite that has been picked but pick a runner-up?  

Question to the group. 

I know duplicates are allowed.  And there was just no way of getting around the age Beatles multiple picks.  At this point Is it preferable to recognize a favorite that has been picked but pick a runner-up?  
I'm approaching this the same way I approached the funeral/wake song draft. Just because someone else picked it doesn't change its significance in my life, so I have no problems with duplicates, especially since @zamboni chose my next pick a round earlier than me, and there really isn't a different song I'd go to anyway.

45 Yr Old Song: Seven Nation Army - White Stripes

Doc Oc got one this earlier ...someone else too.  And mentioned the same smack in the face ...like what is that?  They already had several albums out, but like I mentioned ...I was very busy with work, had been traveling mostly five days a week since '99 and was hanging around older, conservative guys that were much into music.  So something had to really jump out to grab me.  Otherwise, I was mostly listening to my existing collection.  Occasionally I would discover something that sounded new to me - example, I "discovered" Jellyfish around this time ...just a mere 13 years after their first album.  

Age 50 Album: Lonerism - Tame Impala

2012 is slim pickings for me on albums. Like Doc Ock said a page or two ago, most of my listening then was to The Loft on SXM. I remember them playing a bunch of songs off of this LP, though, that I really liked.

Tame Impala run. 

But @Hov34, how do you pick this album and not mention Let it Happen, an arguably top ten song of the decade 

Supplemental Song - Age 32 - House Of Jealous Lovers - The Rapture

I remember seeing this back when MTV was running videos and thinking "What the hell was that?" So much so that I went and bought it immediately in the used (yes) CD bin of the store for about $5.99. Not believing my ears, it would later be cemented in my auditory oeuvre when dance-punk would storm the scene later that year and next with Franz Ferdinand, The Bravery, The Killers, and other bands that took punk and made it anthemic and danceable. Quite a nice combination for someone who always loved dance and punk. While critical ears like Eephus's can and have pointed out that they took their cue from Gang Of Four, these bands did something a little different in the mode of the synthesis between dance and punk that immediately stood out, like more of a groove-oriented vibe than a punk one. There's a thread about disco punk here that I started, and that's because it's such a serious musical influence in my life that even in my early thirties it knocked me flat on my ### like a teenager.

Anyway, this song represents the height of dance-punk, IMO. It's also one of the fist to originate from that scene and helped mold the dance scene at the time, according to some, because of the rock element in it. Check the story of the song here and the Wiki page for accolades here. Weighty stuff and weighty praise. The song? It's got a pulsating disco beat, whined vocals, and a ton -- I mean a ####-ton of cowbell in it. Then there are the freakouts. One critic called it four guys all playing leads with their instruments yet keeping a sick groove and flow. From Brooklyn by way of San Francisco from their origins in their hometown of San Diego, no less, which is my adopted hometown scene, I guess. If not for L.A., that is. Nah, I'll stick with SD. Regardless, here's the album version of the song in all of its glory.

House Of Jealous Lovers

Supplemental Song - Age 32 - House Of Jealous Lovers - The Rapture

I remember seeing this back when MTV was running videos and thinking "What the hell was that?" So much so that I went and bought it immediately in the used (yes) CD bin of the store for about $5.99. Not believing my ears, it would later be cemented in my auditory oeuvre when dance-punk would storm the scene later that year and next with Franz Ferdinand, The Bravery, The Killers, and other bands that took punk and made it anthemic and danceable. Quite a nice combination for someone who always loved dance and punk. While critical ears like Eephus's can and have pointed out that they took their cure from Gang Of Four, these bands did something a little different in the mode of the synthesis between dance and punk that immediately stood out, like more of a groove-oriented vibe than a punk one. There's a thread about disco punk here that I started, and that's because it's such a serious musical influence in my life that even in my early thirties it knocked me flat on my ### like a teenager.

Anyway, this song represents the height of dance-punk, IMO. It's also one of the fist to originate from that scene and helped mold the dance scene at the time, according to some, because of the rock element in it. Check the story of the song here and the Wiki page for accolades here. Weighty stuff and weighty praise. The song? It's got a pulsating disco beat, whined vocals, and a ton -- I mean a ####-ton of cowbell in it. Then there are the freakouts. One critic called it four guys all playing leads with their instruments yet keeping a sick groove and flow. From Brooklyn by way of San Francisco from their origins in their hometown of San Diego, no less, which is my adopted hometown scene, I guess. If not for L.A., that is. Nah, I'll stick with SD. Regardless, here's the album version of the song in all of its glory.

House Of Jealous Lovers
Love the song and I've mentioned the follow up before Pieces of the People We Love was actually very solid. 

As far as the bolded, I can maybe let it slide but I think history will show it was the BIG song from the band who's t-shirt you were wearing yesterday. 

As far as the bolded, I can maybe let it slide but I think history will show it was the BIG song from the band who's t-shirt you were wearing yesterday. 
If MAC_32 hadn't already picked "Do You Want To" as his twenty year-old song, I would have picked this one. I started writing it down to blurb it. Those songs are 1A and 1B for that era, if you ask me. Franz's had more commercial appeal, for sure, but it had the way paved for it by "House..." and came out several years later, so I gave the nod to "House."

I have also tried in vain to find a Rapture t-shirt. I owned one for a heartbeat but it came stained and had yellow writing on a grey shirt. You couldn't even tell what band it was. So it had to go back. There's one kicking around Etsy that's used for like forty bucks, but...well, it's sort of faded and used. 

I have also tried in vain to find a Rapture t-shirt. I owned one for a heartbeat but it came stained and had yellow writing on a grey shirt. You couldn't even tell what band it was. So it had to go back. There's one kicking around Etsy that's used for like forty bucks, but...well, it's sort of faded and used. 
I found about six band t-shirts hidden deep in the closet today, I was late to the game but I have a solid couple weeks to go in that thread.

50.A  The Defamation of Strickland Banks  - Plan B

I've always loved listening to new music.  In the LP era, I would grab up interesting looking new releases out of the dollar racks.  As the differential cost of unheard music trended to zero in the downloading and streaming eras, I would still check out unfamiliar stuff based on a review or article.  Even at 50 and beyond, one of my favorite things is hearing something new and different from an artist I've never listened to before.

I don't remember exactly how I came about Plan B.  He had 15 minutes of fame in the UK for his audacious concept album that combined Classic Soul sounds with Rap.  Strickland Banks is a fictional character played by the artist who is wrongly imprisoned.  Plan B isn't a great singer or rapper but somehow the combination works for me.  We played the hell out of this album when it came out and saw him in a small club in our neighborhood when he played a handful of US dates.  I've been to a lot of Punk shows over the years but Plan B's concert and audience interaction was among the craziest.  I distinctly remember thinking "what am I doing.  I'm 50" as the bodies flew around me.

She Said

Prayin'
less canny than most hiphop era r&b and fresher because of it

50yo Album - Frank, Amy Winehouse

The Second Coming. The Second Going.

I actually wasn't listening to Frank before my 50th, but i was onto her before B2B and her complete entry into Loadie GossipClown World, and a musixplosion like this must be offered in concert with its boom. I can thank my pal Jeff again for Miss Winehouse, altho in an opposite way. Folks in Boston were pimipin her stuff and that pissed off the staid purist Jeff had become. To be honest, i've gained more music i liked from buying stuff he complained about than material he purely loved.

And i knew - there was Hendrix and there was Amy and the rest of us were killing time, however gloriously. What made this possibly more exceptional than Jimi's burst on the scene is that jazz had been flat dead - naught but recitation, restatement, refrain - for 25 years. Amy Winehouse didn't promise to revive the moribund form - she threatened. There was no doubt she knew where all the notes lived and how they could be ordered, but she knew how it could be pop, could be hiphop, could be sumn else altogether as well. Bestill my pounding heart and craven mind.

And she had plenty of time to get there, right?..............................riiiiight?.........................ugggghhhhhhhh

I think Back to Black is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Frank myself but that's what cool about this draft, so much of it is about time and place and where we were individually when we heard something for the first time. 

I think Back to Black is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Frank myself but that's what cool about this draft, so much of it is about time and place and where we were individually when we heard something for the first time. 
entirely agree, but it was a pop album. what Frank promised was more than what B2B realized. and B2B didnt exist when i was fitty and the best album of the 21st C is my 55 album.

Alone we stand together we fall apart
Yeah, I think I'll be alright
I'm working so I won't have to try so hard
Tables, they turn sometimes

I am saddened over the passing of John Prine. I was supposed to see him at the end of April at the Merlefest, but the festival was cancelled due to the virus. Willie Nelson was kicking it off that Thursday night, and John Prine was supposed to close out the festival on the following Sunday. The last time I saw Prine was at the festival about four years ago when he kicked it off on a Thursday night.  I've loved his music since I discovered it back in the 80s. I love his storytelling, his humor, his grin, his spirit, everything.   :cry:    RIP JP

You can gaze out the window get mad and get madder
Throw your hands in the air, say "What does it matter?"
But it don't do no good to get angry
So help me I know

For a heart stained in anger grows weak and grows bitter
You become your own prisoner as you watch yourself sit there
Wrapped up in a trap of your very own
Chain of sorrow

Binky The Doormat said:
45 Yr Old Song: Seven Nation Army - White Stripes

Doc Oc got one this earlier ...someone else too.  And mentioned the same smack in the face ...like what is that?  They already had several albums out, but like I mentioned ...I was very busy with work, had been traveling mostly five days a week since '99 and was hanging around older, conservative guys that were much into music.  So something had to really jump out to grab me.  Otherwise, I was mostly listening to my existing collection.  Occasionally I would discover something that sounded new to me - example, I "discovered" Jellyfish around this time ...just a mere 13 years after their first album.  
What makes this song great?

Age 55 song  -  Word Crimes  -  Weird Al

I used to listen to him on Doctor D.  I've always loved his stuff.  He doesn't get anything like the respect he should.

(Also, I adore Oxford commas.)

I'm not sure I have an album for 55 or a song for 60.  I do have an album for 60.  

Welcome to Japanese Old Fogey Lovecraftian Death Metal.

Ningen Isu  -  30th Anniversary Best 

Representative sons:  The Colour Out of Space

Heartless Scat

Where has this been in my life?  They were supposed to play SXSW before The Virus.

Age 55 Song: "Big Boys" - Chuck Berry

The last great hurrah by the Father Of Rock & Roll. The album it came from was announced before, but not released until after, Berry's death in 2017 at 90 - his first album of new material in almost 40 years. It's hard to tell when, exactly, Chuck's vocal on this song was recorded since it's been said that the album had used tapes Berry recorded over the last 25 years of his life. 

In any case, Chuck's vocal here is pretty great. And the lyrics are about what you'd expect from the master - witty, clever, maybe a little obscene if you read between the lines, and sharp on detail. As for the guitar playing, I'm not sure that's Chuck. It sounds like him, but it also sounds like someone else wanting to sound like him.

Anyway, that's my last single of this draft. I'll post my 2017 album either later today or tomorrow. Thanks to @Northern Voice for running this. It's been fun and a great distraction.

Age 55 Song: "Big Boys" - Chuck Berry

The last great hurrah by the Father Of Rock & Roll. The album it came from was announced before, but not released until after, Berry's death in 2017 at 90 - his first album of new material in almost 40 years. It's hard to tell when, exactly, Chuck's vocal on this song was recorded since it's been said that the album had used tapes Berry recorded over the last 25 years of his life. 

In any case, Chuck's vocal here is pretty great. And the lyrics are about what you'd expect from the master - witty, clever, maybe a little obscene if you read between the lines, and sharp on detail. As for the guitar playing, I'm not sure that's Chuck. It sounds like him, but it also sounds like someone else wanting to sound like him.

Anyway, that's my last single of this draft. I'll post my 2017 album either later today or tomorrow. Thanks to @Northern Voice for running this. It's been fun and a great distraction.
That was great.  And a fun video, too.

And more thanks to NV.  This was fun.

Age 50 album - The Neon Skyline - Andy Shauf

Ok I'm currently 51 so this is cheating, slightly. However, I wanted to give a shout out to @Northern Voice though for calling attention to this album in the new music thread - and I have listened to it more than any other record in 2020 and am absolutely in love with it - so it's really my age 51 record.

It's a very charming concept album. From the link above:

Shauf’s new concept album The Neon Skyline takes place over the span of one night, as did his last solo record, 2016’s The Party. The story goes like this: Our narrator heads to a bar where he hears that his ex is back in town. From there, he spirals through the course of their relationship from young love to jealous arguments to dreams of starting over. He eventually runs into her and they go their separate ways. But by this point, late in the album, you’ve learned that reconciliation was never the point. In the climactic “Thirteen Hours,” Shauf drifts through a flashback that doesn’t focus on the fight that brought out their true nature, or the injury that landed one of them in the hospital. Instead, the key lyric is about a simple facial expression that suggested how things could never be the same again.
I bought tickets to see him Asbury Park in early May. The show has now been postponed until December - but at least it wasn't cancelled.

Try Again

Age 55 Album: God's Problem Child - Willie Nelson

I'm going a day ahead here and posting this now. 

Willie's comfort food for me these days, along with folks like Mavis Staples (it was a coin flip between 2017 LPs by these two) and many others. I'm not religious in any formal kind of way, but his songs (& Mavis') are hymns to me.

Nelson's good friend Merle Haggard died before this album was released - "He Won't Ever Be Gone" is the obvious tribute, but the whole album (and it's name) has Merle written all over it.

Y'all stay safe and healthy. Being nice to other folks isn't a hard thing to do. 

Age 55 54 song:

Some people, when faced with someone 'stealing' one of your picks in a draft, will panic and rush to figure out a suitable replacement. Fortunately, this is not one of those types of drafts.  I'm actually glad that @zamboni also picked Wichita Lineman because it gives us more common ground.

As for my coming to this song, I don't think it was when he passed but it was some time after he passed that I gave it a listen for the first time I can ever remember, and it hooked me right away. The use of violins to imitate the whine one might hear on an old analog line was simple yet genius at the same time, and it speaks to the type of work that I bet most men and even a lot of women find nobility in: behind-the-scenes, necessary, thankless, stand-in-the-gap work. I even occasionally get a little choked up when hearing the closing verses:

And I need you more than want you,
And I want you for all time
And the Wichita lineman is still on the line

Age 50 album - 2016 - When I think about what bands or artists have I seen live the most over the last 10 years, The Avett Brothers and Chatham County Line come in at #1. They are both NC bands, and they both play often around the area.  They both had albums out in 2016, and I listened to The Avett Brother's the most so I will focus on them. I like their True Sadness album that came out in '16. I love the energy they bring to their shows, and they are good people. Another thing that is cool about them is that when they play at the Merlefest, which is often, their dad (Jim) annually does a Sunday morning gospel hour. When his son's are playing at the festival, they always join him on Sunday morning along with their sister Bonnie and perform gospel songs.  Sample  There are a lot of years and hairstyles to chose from, but that sample had the best video clarity from ones I found on youtube. The Avetts were supposed to play the Azalea Festival in Wilmington this week, but it was cancelled. They play in my city most New Year Eve's. They are really everywhere as is Chatham County Line. Anyway, they have been a big part of my music world over the last decade, and their 2016 album was the most played in my music rotation that year.

True Sadness - The Avett Brothers - Sample Song - No Hard Feelings

Shout out to Chatham County Line's 2016 album Autumn - Chatham County Line - Sample Song - Show Me the Door

One more shout out...

Willie Nelson has played a big part in my music world over the last decade as well. I have seen him numerous times over the last 10 years, and he is another one of the country artists my parents played when I was little that I liked immediately. He has got to be one of the hardest working musicians ever. He puts out album(s) about every year, and tours. He says he loves it. I read a few weeks ago that his son Lukas said he and his brother Micah were in isolation with their dad to make sure he doesn't try to slip out of the house.  Willie turns 87 at the end of this month. Back to the shout out, In 2016 he released the album Summertime: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin. I played that album a lot too, so I'm throwing it in as well. If you liked his album Stardust, you should like this one too.  Summertime: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin - Sample Song - Summertime

Age 50 album - The Neon Skyline - Andy Shauf

Ok I'm currently 51 so this is cheating, slightly. However, I wanted to give a shout out to @Northern Voice though for calling attention to this album in the new music thread - and I have listened to it more than any other record in 2020 and am absolutely in love with it - so it's really my age 51 record.

It's a very charming concept album. From the link above:

I bought tickets to see him Asbury Park in early May. The show has now been postponed until December - but at least it wasn't cancelled.

Try Again
This album has been in heavy rotation for me as well. 

Age 50 album - 2016 - When I think about what bands or artists have I seen live the most over the last 10 years, The Avett Brothers and Chatham County Line come in at #1. They are both NC bands, and they both play often around the area.  They both had albums out in 2016, and I listened to The Avett Brother's the most so I will focus on them. I like their True Sadness album that came out in '16. I love the energy they bring to their shows, and they are good people. Another thing that is cool about them is that when they play at the Merlefest, which is often, their dad (Jim) annually does a Sunday morning gospel hour. When his son's are playing at the festival, they always join him on Sunday morning along with their sister Bonnie and perform gospel songs.  Sample  There are a lot of years and hairstyles to chose from, but that sample had the best video clarity from ones I found on youtube. The Avetts were supposed to play the Azalea Festival in Wilmington this week, but it was cancelled. They play in my city most New Year Eve's. They are really everywhere as is Chatham County Line. Anyway, they have been a big part of my music world over the last decade, and their 2016 album was the most played in my music rotation that year.

True Sadness - The Avett Brothers - Sample Song - No Hard Feelings
I almost went with Emotionalism for my 40y/o album. 

That’s the first Avetts album I heard and I dug through their back catalog. I love everything up to and including Emotionalism. Nothing post-Emotionalism is nearly as good but they’re still a blast to see in concert. 

Scott Avett sings backup on the new Clem Snide album (lead vocal on a couple songs) and sounds great along side Barzelay. That’s another great album from this year.  

I almost went with Emotionalism for my 40y/o album. 

That’s the first Avetts album I heard and I dug through their back catalog. I love everything up to and including Emotionalism. Nothing post-Emotionalism is nearly as good but they’re still a blast to see in concert. 

Emotionalism is a great album. I think the biggest change after that album has been Rick Rubin. He became their producer, and though he does wonders for some bands, The Avetts style and sound is better being primitive and loose versus being polished. That's why seeing them live is so much fun, because they let go and are their true sounding selves. 

Users who are viewing this thread