What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

6 Small Sample Size Studs (1 Viewer)

bengalbuck

Footballguy
While I know that in the early rounds you want guys with long track records of success, I think one of the best ways to find the mid and late round guys with huge potential is to find guys who have at least proven that they can show fantasy impact in a small sample size. In looking at games late last season, here is the list of guys I found most intriguing:

1. Jacoby Ford

The stats: From week 9 to week 16 Ford averaged 19.9 ppg in leagues that score return yards. In normal PPR with no return yards, he averaged 14.9 ppg.

Context: In return yard leagues, Ford was the WR4 in the 2nd half of the year behind only Jennings, Bowe and A. Johnson. In normal PPR, he was WR15 over the 2nd half of last season.

Optimistic view: Aside from being the halfway point of the Raiders season, what importance did week 9 have? It was Ford's coming out party. He entirely took over a big division matchup against the rival Chiefs and carried the Raiders to victory. It was an amazing coming out party. (Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoP6ODerfSs&feature=related) Hue Jackson has mentioned that he believes Ford is a huge talent and that he will soon be a household name. It sounds like he will be WR1 for the Raiders next year and just watching the guy, he gives off a young Steve Smith (Car.) vibe where he is the fastest guy on the field, but also one of the toughest.

Pessimist view: It was only half a season and the Raiders are a mess with a bad QB. He may never be a huge number of catch guy, so maybe his upside is Desean Jackson?

My take: He was the #1 guy I was targeting in a recent dynasty startup and felt like I got a steal in the mid 8th round. I feel comfortable counting on him as my WR3 and I expect him to be a solid 200+ point guy in PPR and potentially a 250+ guy in my league with return yardage included. And he's only going into year 2. If he continues to improve and the Raiders find a better QB, he could be big-time.

2. Time Tebow

The Stats: He took over as the starter in Week 15 and in the final 3 games of the year, he was QB1 in total fantasy points scored with 80 and he averaged 26.7 ppg.

Context: For the season, only Vick averaged more ppg as a starting QB than Tebow (27ppg). For further context, Aaron Rodgers for the season averaged less than 23ppg.

Optimistic View: In those final 3 games, Tebow rushed for 199 yards and 3 TDs. Projected over a full season, he would have rushed for more than 1,000 yards and 16 TDs. Obviously those numbers are pretty ridiculous, but I do think a case can be made that the projections for Tim's rushing stats are way too low. If he rushes for even 10 TDs (he had 6 last year in very limited time), that is the equivalent of 15 passing TDs in fantasy scoring. Is it really crazy to think he throws for 15 TDs and rushes for 10? If so, wouldn't he have to be pretty fantasty relevant?

Pessimistic View: This is an extremely small sample size (3 games). He isn't 100% guaranteed to start. He has a new coach who likes RBs.

My View: Tebow is far from a guarantee but even if you think there's maybe a 20% chance that he can put together a 600 yard, 10 TD rushing season along with solid passing numbers, he is well worth a pick for many. Specifically, in drafts where I am able to lock up a sure thing, top 6 QB (i.e. Brees), I will target Tebow late in the draft as my QB2. I wasn't able to get him in the most recent, but I think people are really underestimating his upside and those late round picks should be all about upside.

3. Antonio Gates

The Stats: In 10 games last season, Gates had 50 catches, 782 yards and 10 TDs. In normal PPR, he scored 18.8 ppg (over 3 ppg more than TE2). Over a full season, he was on pace for 80 catches 1,250 yards and 16 TDs.

Optimistic View: It's a little weird to have a proven vet like Gates mixed in with these rookies, but his season last year was unlike anything else he had done previously in his career. It was on pace to be the best TE season ever. There is talk out of San Diego that they expect similar results all year in 2011. Possibly even better since Gates was hobbled in 4 of the 10 games he did play and is now healthy.

Pessimistic View: Fluky season. Gates will obviously be good, but those numbers were crazy and he can't pull off a full season like that. VJax maybe hurts his production if he's back?

My View: I passed on him in dynasty due to his age and how young the rest of my team was shaping up to be, but I will draft him much earlier than ADP to make sure I have him a re-draft league. I think he puts together a truly monstrous TE season where he beats the TE2 by 3 or 4 ppg and beats the TE12 by 8 or 9 ppg, which is just a massive advantage for his owner. I think he's a 1st round value you can grab in round 3 or 4.

4.Jimmy Graham

The Stats: Over the last 7 games, Graham scored 77 points in standard PPR, making him TE10 over that stretch.

Optimistic: After looking at Gates' stats, Graham's look extremely pedestrian and don't stick out much. However, it was clear that he started to become a bigger part of the Saints offense getting over 5 targets per game down the stretch (many in the red zone) and grabbing 4 TDs. The Saints on average have targeted their TEs 150 times per season over the past few years. With Shockey gone, it is entirely realistic that Graham will receive 100 targets if things stay steady at 150. However, if Lance Moore or Reggie Bush leave, the targets to TEs could go up even more. And if Colston's knee isn't quite right after microfracture surgery...Graham could get a ton of targets in 2011.

Pessimistic: He is still raw and even in the small sample size, he was only TE10 which doesn't justify him being drafted as TE6.

My view: I think there is some risk counting on Graham, though he has shown he can at least be a top 10 TE. However, the upside is immense depending upon how the Saints personnel shakes out. You know Brees is going to get his 4,000 yards...who is going to catch all those balls? Graham seems as well positioned as Jermichael Finley is, and though he's less proven, seems to have similar upside. He is my backup plan in the 6th round or so if I miss out on Gates in the 3rd.

5 and 6. AJ Green and Julio Jones

The stats: Green 56 catches, 963 yards, 8 TDs. Jones 58 catches, 924 yards, 4 TDs. Year=2008

The Context: In 2008, as true freshmen AJ Green and Julio Jones stepped right into the super competitive SEC and finished 1st and 3rd in receiving yards for the conference. Mississippi's Mike Wallace (now of the Steelers) in his 3rd and final year of college football, finished 5th with 784 yards. Another junior, Florida's Percy Harvin finished 9th.

Optimistic: Making the leap from high school football to the SEC (and into national championship races on top 10 teams) as true freshman is not easy. Yet these 2 guys did it and dominated the competition. They looked like men against boys even as true freshmen. Is the leap from the SEC to the NFL that much tougher that high school to the SEC? I'm not sure it is. I think the old WR "learning curve" rules might not apply to these guys who have been dominating top college competition for 3 years and have proven to be quick studies.

Pessimistic: Who cares what they did in college? They're still rookies. The Bengals QB is potentially bad. No summer training (though both guys have spent a lot of time with their QBs working on routes).

My View: Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I see both of these guys as massive talents, the likes of which we haven't seen in 5 years or so. I also think unlike the last similar talent (Megatron), these guys come with a ton more polish and real experience in a pro style offense where they have run all the routes. I expect both of these guys to come out of the gates with 65+ catches, 1,000 yards and 7+TDs. I'm all over them in dynasty and will draft at least one of the two a round earlier than ADP as my WR3 in re-draft.

Great thread. Love the analysis. I may not agree with everything, but you've really caused me to take a second look at some of these guys.

:goodposting:

I think the only one on your list who possibly does not belong on it is Gates. Everyone is aware of him. He will be drafted much earlier than a lot of people expect when it comes down to it. He was producing at, or near, WR1 numbers last year while injured. He will be protected in all the keeper leagues I am in this year without a doubt. Currently his ADP in twelve-team leagues is 3.01. He will not go unnoticed and anyone who wants him on their fantasy team must be willing to overpay.

Otherwise, I like your thoughts on Ford, Tebow and Graham!! As for the rookies, I just don't know.

'Ruffrodys05 said:
I think the only one on your list who possibly does not belong on it is Gates. Everyone is aware of him. He will be drafted much earlier than a lot of people expect when it comes down to it. He was producing at, or near, WR1 numbers last year while injured. He will be protected in all the keeper leagues I am in this year without a doubt. Currently his ADP in twelve-team leagues is 3.01. He will not go unnoticed and anyone who wants him on their fantasy team must be willing to overpay.

Otherwise, I like your thoughts on Ford, Tebow and Graham!! As for the rookies, I just don't know.
Thanks for the comments. I guess my purpose of the thread was to kind of get other people's opinion as to whether the small sample sizes I pointed out were actually indicative of anything or just fluky. In Gates case, the big question is whether A. last season is indicative of what he'll do this year and he is underrated as a 3rd or 4th round type ADP or B. he'll go back to his prior career numbers which are good, but wouldn't provide the massive advantage that his 2010 pace would.
'finito said:
Great thread. Thx. I think Jerome Simpson is a good candidate for this thread.
Great point on Simpson. He is a guy who definitely would fit my definition of a guy to watch based on small sample size success as he was a monster over the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season. However, I tried to kind of cull through the small sample size successes and only pick the guys who I believed had a chance to come close to repeating those numbers over a full season and not guys who I felt were a little fluky. While I like Simpson as a sleeper, I tend to think that he has already lost the WR1 role with the Bengals that allowed him to excel at the end of last season to AJ Green.

People knock the Bengals as a landing spot for AJ Green and as a Bengals homer, I know all too well the terrible ownership and management structure the Bengals have in place. However, Cincy under owner Mike Brown has always been a great spot to find big-time fantasy WRs. From Ocho and TO, to Houshmazadeh, back to Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott, etc. the Bengals usually have at least one good fantasy WR. Your point on Simpson's huge numbers the last few weeks kind of backs that assertion up. I just personally feel that AJ is the guy to own there, not Simpson, though Simpson is definitely worth a late round flier in both dynasty and re-draft and could have a nice season as well.

RB Jason Snelling: Could be a late flier at RB who could prove to be a sleeper. He's generally quiet but has produced rushing wise and is an effective receiver for PPR leagues. If he can land in a favorable situation as a FA and an injury strikes, could pay dividends.

Week 8 - 16: 27 catches for 202 yards and 2 TD. On a FPPG basis on receiving alone in a PPR league, he averaged 8.46 points despite missing 2 games in that stretch.

WR Brian Robiskie: Yeah, he's stuck on a bad Cleveland team (at the moment) but seemed to be coming on a bit in the final 3 games. Had 9 catches for 152 yards and scored a TD in every game, while averaging 16.89 yards per catch. He's still really young at 24 years old this season and was raised by Terry Robiskie, well known coach in the NFL. Another late sleeper flier to keep an eye out on.

He's stuck in a bit of a murky situation but if he can prove himself route running wise in the WCO (and his big play ability holds up from the end of last season), he could be another Brandon Lloyd/Anthony Armstrong type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put me on the record for believing tebow is an NFL qb... Surprised his late season performance didn't save Josh's job

Put me on the record for believing tebow is an NFL qb... Surprised his late season performance didn't save Josh's job
:confused: That would have been very difficult to pull off considering McDaniels was fired with four games remaining in the season. Tebow didn't start a single game while he was HC.

great subject... agree with the examples... i like green better than jones, because he is clear WR1... jones may be third in line for receptions initially... though tgon is ancient, so that concern shouldn't be an issue much longer... i also have a slight concern with concentration drops... no doubt ryan far higher graded QB than dalton... BTW, mark clayton was a monster in first month of 2010, bradford is an ascendant QB, so he would seem to be right in the wheelhouse of this thread's premise.

'Bob Magaw said:
great subject... agree with the examples... i like green better than jones, because he is clear WR1... jones may be third in line for receptions initially... though tgon is ancient, so that concern shouldn't be an issue much longer... i also have a slight concern with concentration drops... no doubt ryan far higher graded QB than dalton... BTW, mark clayton was a monster in first month of 2010, bradford is an ascendant QB, so he would seem to be right in the wheelhouse of this thread's premise.
Absolutely a great call on Clayton. I totally forgot about him because I was primarily looking at the 2nd half of last season when analyzing the stats. Caused me to miss a guy like Clayton.Specifically, through the first 4 weeks of the season, Clayton averaged 15.5 ppg in PPR, good for WR #12 overall 1/4th of the way through the season.

Robiskie is also an interesting example (as Dawn pointed out) as he did show some flashes down the stretch, specifically in those last 3 games. With Holmgren's history, you figure that Browns passing game will eventually click.

Jared Cook fits the criteria as well (as todisco said). In the last 5 weeks, he was TE14 but had big games in Week 16 and Week 17. Definitely intriguing considering he has pretty impressive physical skills.

Again, step 1 is finding these guys who put up numbers when given their shot. Step 2 is trying to determine if they will continue to get their shot and continue to make the most of it (or even take it to a higher level). Thanks to all for putting some more names out there that are worth discussion.

'Bob Magaw said:
Absolutely a great call on Clayton. I totally forgot about him because I was primarily looking at the 2nd half of last season when analyzing the stats. Caused me to miss a guy like Clayton.Specifically, through the first 4 weeks of the season, Clayton averaged 15.5 ppg in PPR, good for WR #12 overall 1/4th of the way through the season.

Robiskie is also an interesting example (as Dawn pointed out) as he did show some flashes down the stretch, specifically in those last 3 games. With Holmgren's history, you figure that Browns passing game will eventually click.

Jared Cook fits the criteria as well (as todisco said). In the last 5 weeks, he was TE14 but had big games in Week 16 and Week 17. Definitely intriguing considering he has pretty impressive physical skills.

Again, step 1 is finding these guys who put up numbers when given their shot. Step 2 is trying to determine if they will continue to get their shot and continue to make the most of it (or even take it to a higher level). Thanks to all for putting some more names out there that are worth discussion.
using prorated stats is one of my favorite tools to use in identifying potential sleepers before they have more fully, obviously and expensively (unobtainably) broken out... dating back for myself to chad johnson's half season breakout stats roaring off the page, and subsequently being confirmed...by itself, this method can be a pretty blunt instrument and cause as much mischief as good when wielded indiscriminately... as you are doing, by providing contextual info, it positions others to make better sense of how to INTERPRET the raw data... ie - which breakouts are more likely to be aberrant, or of the coveted sustainable variant...

the tricky part is the breakout timeframe threshold... too long (waiting a few years to see if miles austin is legit :) ) isn't much help... conversely, being hair trigger quick (a quarter or half of one game) is dangerous and liable to spurious projections... chad johnson's half season breakout was very instructive, and afforded a lot of material by which to "scout" him... clayton's four games still give a moderate statistical context (he had more than a half decade body of work, but in much different situation with ravens than rams)... jerome simpson was impressive, but just in two games, so sussing out sustainability dicier...

this process is at the heart of one of the key stategies in fantasy football (especially dynasty)... recognizing and identifying breakout targets before they break out, when they can be scooped up at minimal cost relative to what they will cost later...

* not sure about statistical support or exact breakout duration, but jason hill seems to me a similar intersection of talent/opportunity and intriguing prospect to simpson... simpson may have even more impressive measurables (see respective VJs), with hill arguably the superior opportunity (at least in short term, like this season, for redraft purposes)...

robiskie also interesting... i realize he has shown little in first few years, but at ohio state he reminded me of poor (destitute?) man's fitz... great body control and hands... if he can start across from little over mass, with the more horizontal than vertical passing attack of shurmur (ex-STL OC), he could be in the proverbial, cliched best opportunity to succeed yet in his career...

I think calling AJ Green the WR1 in Cincy is a little hasty. Simpson looked very good when he got his chance last year and its not like there wasn't any hype around him coming out of college. He only caught 20 balls but he only got 25 targets last year and with those 25 targets he put up 277 yards and 3 TDs, and more than one of them were eye popping receptions.

edited to add that his best two games were the final two games of the season against the Ravens and Chargers, and Im going off memory but I think they were both still fighting for playoff spots

I think calling AJ Green the WR1 in Cincy is a little hasty. Simpson looked very good when he got his chance last year and its not like there wasn't any hype around him coming out of college. He only caught 20 balls but he only got 25 targets last year and with those 25 targets he put up 277 yards and 3 TDs, and more than one of them were eye popping receptions.edited to add that his best two games were the final two games of the season against the Ravens and Chargers, and Im going off memory but I think they were both still fighting for playoff spots
I believe he also had 3 fumbles with those 20 catches...As a huge Bengals fan, I am definitely rooting for Simpson and his raw talent is impressive (huge hands, good speed, nice leaping ability, etc.). I've also watched the guy develop excruciatingly slow over the last 3 seasons, primarily due to a lack of football intelligence. He has struggled immensely in being able to recognize coverages and adjust his routes accordingly. And beyond that, there are just lapses in concentration and bad decision making (if you saw how he was carrying the ball on a couple of those fumbles...) that makes you wonder if he'll ever put it all together, even going into year 4.Just my opinion, and I won't begrudge anyone their own opinion because its tough to know for sure, but I think AJ Green sees the most targets for the Bengals by a good margin. I think Shipley (slot) and Gresham end up pretty close to each other in 2nd/3rd. I see Simpson getting the 4th most targets, primarily on deep balls (similar to the role Chris Henry had in his 3 years with the Bengals). But again, new OC and lots of young guys, so we'll see. I definitely could be wrong.

I'm a big proponent of taking chances on guys in their 2nd year since that seems to often be the "big" improvement jump from a rookie season. I've been eyeing the following guys who are largely going under the radar a bit in comparison to other players at their position/other rookies in their class.

WR Arrelious Benn: Yeah, he's the #2 in Tampa Bay and started really slow but had a stronger 2nd Half. In his last 7 games he had 16 catches for 252 yards (15.75) and 1 TD. Like the above mentioned Robiskie, he wasn't targeted that often catch wise but did display the ability to make plays of 15+ yards when he did get his catches. I like that he had a 4 catch for 122 yard game as it showcased he had the ability to be a big game producer.

WR Brandon LaFell: Probably my favorite small sample sleeper. He played on a notoriously bad offense but still was quietly productive for a rookie and gets overlooked due to the team he's on. Final 6 games: 21 catches for 240 yards (11.43) and 0 TD. He also had a 60 yard run and even attempted a pass. If Steve Smith goes, he could really pay dividends in later rounds, more so than fellow rookie teammate David Gettis IMO. I especially liked the fact that he was consistently getting 30+ yards a game despite, again, not getting a whole lot of catches on the whole. Probably doesn't have the upside of some of the other names listed in this thread but could prove to be a valuable WR2 depending on circumstances.

Great topic.

Obviously everyone knows who he is, but Jonathan Stewart could be the poster boy for this thread. He's had spurts of monster production his last two seasons to follow up consistent production during his rookie campaign.

2009 Weeks 13-17:

625 total yards and 5 TDs.

2010 Weeks 12-16:

549 total yards and 1 TD.

The obvious question still remains. Will he get an opportunity? If he does there's a very good chance he's right up there with Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, and Chris Johnson in the touch department.

Stewart is a career 4.7 ypc runner on a team that will try to run the ball into the ground. He'll also be drafted at a significant discount this season for the last time. Big breakout season for him if DeAngelo leaves.

I think Mike Goodson deserves a mention in this thread. He's got talent and when given the opportunity he has produced.

I think calling AJ Green the WR1 in Cincy is a little hasty. Simpson looked very good when he got his chance last year and its not like there wasn't any hype around him coming out of college. He only caught 20 balls but he only got 25 targets last year and with those 25 targets he put up 277 yards and 3 TDs, and more than one of them were eye popping receptions.edited to add that his best two games were the final two games of the season against the Ravens and Chargers, and Im going off memory but I think they were both still fighting for playoff spots
I believe he also had 3 fumbles with those 20 catches...As a huge Bengals fan, I am definitely rooting for Simpson and his raw talent is impressive (huge hands, good speed, nice leaping ability, etc.). I've also watched the guy develop excruciatingly slow over the last 3 seasons, primarily due to a lack of football intelligence. He has struggled immensely in being able to recognize coverages and adjust his routes accordingly. And beyond that, there are just lapses in concentration and bad decision making (if you saw how he was carrying the ball on a couple of those fumbles...) that makes you wonder if he'll ever put it all together, even going into year 4.Just my opinion, and I won't begrudge anyone their own opinion because its tough to know for sure, but I think AJ Green sees the most targets for the Bengals by a good margin. I think Shipley (slot) and Gresham end up pretty close to each other in 2nd/3rd. I see Simpson getting the 4th most targets, primarily on deep balls (similar to the role Chris Henry had in his 3 years with the Bengals). But again, new OC and lots of young guys, so we'll see. I definitely could be wrong.
Agree about the fumbles, but that's something I think can be corrected. And he has come along slowly, but when he was drafted in 2008 most believers in him conceded that he would most likely be a project WR. Coming out of the small school of Coastal Carolina and being very raw when drafted it was not likely he would make a quick transition to NFL starter. But at the end of last season he definitely flashed signs that he is ready to make that transition

While I know that in the early rounds you want guys with long track records of success, I think one of the best ways to find the mid and late round guys with huge potential is to find guys who have at least proven that they can show fantasy impact in a small sample size. In looking at games late last season, here is the list of guys I found most intriguing:

1. Jacoby Ford

The stats: From week 9 to week 16 Ford averaged 19.9 ppg in leagues that score return yards. In normal PPR with no return yards, he averaged 14.9 ppg.

Context: In return yard leagues, Ford was the WR4 in the 2nd half of the year behind only Jennings, Bowe and A. Johnson. In normal PPR, he was WR15 over the 2nd half of last season.

Optimistic view: Aside from being the halfway point of the Raiders season, what importance did week 9 have? It was Ford's coming out party. He entirely took over a big division matchup against the rival Chiefs and carried the Raiders to victory. It was an amazing coming out party. (Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoP6ODerfSs&feature=related) Hue Jackson has mentioned that he believes Ford is a huge talent and that he will soon be a household name. It sounds like he will be WR1 for the Raiders next year and just watching the guy, he gives off a young Steve Smith (Car.) vibe where he is the fastest guy on the field, but also one of the toughest.

Pessimist view: It was only half a season and the Raiders are a mess with a bad QB. He may never be a huge number of catch guy, so maybe his upside is Desean Jackson?

My take: He was the #1 guy I was targeting in a recent dynasty startup and felt like I got a steal in the mid 8th round. I feel comfortable counting on him as my WR3 and I expect him to be a solid 200+ point guy in PPR and potentially a 250+ guy in my league with return yardage included. And he's only going into year 2. If he continues to improve and the Raiders find a better QB, he could be big-time.

2. Time Tebow

The Stats: He took over as the starter in Week 15 and in the final 3 games of the year, he was QB1 in total fantasy points scored with 80 and he averaged 26.7 ppg.

Context: For the season, only Vick averaged more ppg as a starting QB than Tebow (27ppg). For further context, Aaron Rodgers for the season averaged less than 23ppg.

Optimistic View: In those final 3 games, Tebow rushed for 199 yards and 3 TDs. Projected over a full season, he would have rushed for more than 1,000 yards and 16 TDs. Obviously those numbers are pretty ridiculous, but I do think a case can be made that the projections for Tim's rushing stats are way too low. If he rushes for even 10 TDs (he had 6 last year in very limited time), that is the equivalent of 15 passing TDs in fantasy scoring. Is it really crazy to think he throws for 15 TDs and rushes for 10? If so, wouldn't he have to be pretty fantasty relevant?

Pessimistic View: This is an extremely small sample size (3 games). He isn't 100% guaranteed to start. He has a new coach who likes RBs.

My View: Tebow is far from a guarantee but even if you think there's maybe a 20% chance that he can put together a 600 yard, 10 TD rushing season along with solid passing numbers, he is well worth a pick for many. Specifically, in drafts where I am able to lock up a sure thing, top 6 QB (i.e. Brees), I will target Tebow late in the draft as my QB2. I wasn't able to get him in the most recent, but I think people are really underestimating his upside and those late round picks should be all about upside.

3. Antonio Gates

The Stats: In 10 games last season, Gates had 50 catches, 782 yards and 10 TDs. In normal PPR, he scored 18.8 ppg (over 3 ppg more than TE2). Over a full season, he was on pace for 80 catches 1,250 yards and 16 TDs.

Optimistic View: It's a little weird to have a proven vet like Gates mixed in with these rookies, but his season last year was unlike anything else he had done previously in his career. It was on pace to be the best TE season ever. There is talk out of San Diego that they expect similar results all year in 2011. Possibly even better since Gates was hobbled in 4 of the 10 games he did play and is now healthy.

Pessimistic View: Fluky season. Gates will obviously be good, but those numbers were crazy and he can't pull off a full season like that. VJax maybe hurts his production if he's back?

My View: I passed on him in dynasty due to his age and how young the rest of my team was shaping up to be, but I will draft him much earlier than ADP to make sure I have him a re-draft league. I think he puts together a truly monstrous TE season where he beats the TE2 by 3 or 4 ppg and beats the TE12 by 8 or 9 ppg, which is just a massive advantage for his owner. I think he's a 1st round value you can grab in round 3 or 4.

4.Jimmy Graham

The Stats: Over the last 7 games, Graham scored 77 points in standard PPR, making him TE10 over that stretch.

Optimistic: After looking at Gates' stats, Graham's look extremely pedestrian and don't stick out much. However, it was clear that he started to become a bigger part of the Saints offense getting over 5 targets per game down the stretch (many in the red zone) and grabbing 4 TDs. The Saints on average have targeted their TEs 150 times per season over the past few years. With Shockey gone, it is entirely realistic that Graham will receive 100 targets if things stay steady at 150. However, if Lance Moore or Reggie Bush leave, the targets to TEs could go up even more. And if Colston's knee isn't quite right after microfracture surgery...Graham could get a ton of targets in 2011.

Pessimistic: He is still raw and even in the small sample size, he was only TE10 which doesn't justify him being drafted as TE6.

My view: I think there is some risk counting on Graham, though he has shown he can at least be a top 10 TE. However, the upside is immense depending upon how the Saints personnel shakes out. You know Brees is going to get his 4,000 yards...who is going to catch all those balls? Graham seems as well positioned as Jermichael Finley is, and though he's less proven, seems to have similar upside. He is my backup plan in the 6th round or so if I miss out on Gates in the 3rd.

The stats: Green 56 catches, 963 yards, 8 TDs. Jones 58 catches, 924 yards, 4 TDs. Year=2008

The Context: In 2008, as true freshmen AJ Green and Julio Jones stepped right into the super competitive SEC and finished 1st and 3rd in receiving yards for the conference. Mississippi's Mike Wallace (now of the Steelers) in his 3rd and final year of college football, finished 5th with 784 yards. Another junior, Florida's Percy Harvin finished 9th.

Optimistic: Making the leap from high school football to the SEC (and into national championship races on top 10 teams) as true freshman is not easy. Yet these 2 guys did it and dominated the competition. They looked like men against boys even as true freshmen. Is the leap from the SEC to the NFL that much tougher that high school to the SEC? I'm not sure it is. I think the old WR "learning curve" rules might not apply to these guys who have been dominating top college competition for 3 years and have proven to be quick studies.

Pessimistic: Who cares what they did in college? They're still rookies. The Bengals QB is potentially bad. No summer training (though both guys have spent a lot of time with their QBs working on routes).

My View: Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I see both of these guys as massive talents, the likes of which we haven't seen in 5 years or so. I also think unlike the last similar talent (Megatron), these guys come with a ton more polish and real experience in a pro style offense where they have run all the routes. I expect both of these guys to come out of the gates with 65+ catches, 1,000 yards and 7+TDs. I'm all over them in dynasty and will draft at least one of the two a round earlier than ADP as my WR3 in re-draft.
Agree with you bigtime on all your guys but especially Jacoby ford.. I got him 9.4 in my recent 12 team ppr league and I was ecstatic... If you extrapolate his second half of the season last 8 games to a full 16 game season, he would have had 240 points in PPR. thats top 10, and this is as a rookie. I believe if Oak gets more consisten QB play and Jacoby becomes the Number 1 wr in Oakland, which I think he should be, He could be 220-250 point scorer in PPR as a 2nd year player.. This guy is super fast and has great hands, body control, route running ability. I really love this kid

1. Jacoby Ford

2. Time Tebow

3. Antonio Gates

4.Jimmy Graham

Agree with you bigtime on all your guys but especially Jacoby ford.. I got him 9.4 in my recent 12 team ppr league and I was ecstatic... If you extrapolate his second half of the season last 8 games to a full 16 game season, he would have had 240 points in PPR. thats top 10, and this is as a rookie. I believe if Oak gets more consisten QB play and Jacoby becomes the Number 1 wr in Oakland, which I think he should be, He could be 220-250 point scorer in PPR as a 2nd year player.. This guy is super fast and has great hands, body control, route running ability. I really love this kid
Dude you need to hush up. :censored: Ford is just a OK player, nothing more.

No, no......no need to hush up. This is what this site is all about. Sharing info. I'm all for any info that could help me get ahead of my competition. I'm already high on Jacoby Ford, but in all honesty I like hearing others take on him because it is either destroying or quantifying my own feelings. The only folks I don't need reading this are the 11 other guys in my league and the chances of that are just about nill....sorry to say, because I have tried for years to get them to come over to this site.......but even better is the fact that I know I am alone in my research here.Carry on, one and all.Rody

:)
No, no......no need to hush up. This is what this site is all about. Sharing info. I'm all for any info that could help me get ahead of my competition. I'm already high on Jacoby Ford, but in all honesty I like hearing others take on him because it is either destroying or quantifying my own feelings. The only folks I don't need reading this are the 11 other guys in my league and the chances of that are just about nill....sorry to say, because I have tried for years to get them to come over to this site.......but even better is the fact that I know I am alone in my research here.Carry on, one and all.Rody
I was joking guy. Good luck to you this year. :)

:)

I was joking guy. Good luck to you this year. :)
It's all good............best to you this year!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread