What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (3 Viewers)

There is a crazy video on youtube of OJ standing out in front of his house with a golf club, right after the verdict, and strangers are driving up and stopping for pictures and autographs. I have to find it.
Here it is. Go stand next to the murderer for a picture, kids!

Gross.

Some people tend to come clean on their death bed.
Makes me wonder if those close to OJ heard him say anything.
i read those at his death bed had to sign NDAs so......

There's some allegations going viral by someone saying now he's dead, an NDA binding them around an incident from his murder trial days, but relating to actions while at USC, is no longer valid, and then telling what they say transpired. I don't imagine this is the right thread to discuss deeper, so I'll just suggest if you're interested, you can google "WABC OJ USC" for a synopsis, and if they don't have the original tweet there, enough info you can google and find it easily.

Robert MacNeil of PBS NewsHour. RIP
Oh, wow. For reasons unknown, but completely out of sync with a lot of the other culture in our house growing up, MacNeil/Lehrer was on every single night. I don't watch any TV news anymore, but if I did that format -- 3 or 4 stories covered in some depth each night, so that at the end of a couple years you get educated about the context and history and etc behind the headlines, and build a broader understanding of the world -- would still be my go to. Very fond memories of the old intro.

*not guilty
**Not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Guilty by a preponderance of the evidence.
***The LAPD done did screwed up.
And how. Also, the laughable prosecution didn't help. I could have done considerably better.
No, you couldn't have, but I would agree that they certainly made some mistakes.
Sure, I could. It would be difficult to do worse. I knew at the time, that what they did had no logical component.

*not guilty
**Not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Guilty by a preponderance of the evidence.
And how. Also, the laughable prosecution didn't help. I could have done considerably better.
No, you couldn't have, but I would agree that they certainly made some mistakes.
Sure, I could. It would be difficult to do worse. I knew at the time, that what they did had no logical component.
You genuinely believe you could have presented a better case in a high-profile murder case against a strong defense team that lasted weeks than two (2) experienced prosecutors??

I suppose this shouldn't come as a surprise if you answer yes as this board responded overwhelmingly to a poll whereby the average FBG thought he could provide better self-representation than the average public defender/court-appointed counsel. But, like the voters in that poll, you're completely wrong and your statement is comparable to the average local gym hero's claim that he could play basketball better than Brian Scalabrine.

*not guilty
You genuinely believe you could have presented a better case in a high-profile murder case against a strong defense team that lasted weeks than two (2) experienced prosecutors??

I suppose this shouldn't come as a surprise if you answer yes as this board responded overwhelmingly to a poll whereby the average FBG thought he could provide better self-representation than the average public defender/court-appointed counsel. But, like the voters in that poll, you're completely wrong and your statement is comparable to the average local gym hero's claim that he could play basketball better than Brian Scalabrine.
Yes. The prosecution was disorganized. I'd have to go back and watch that circus again, but I wondered at the time if they'd even gone to law school. The sheer volume and type of evidence in the case should have resulted in a conviction, even with the incompetent and corrupt LAPD involvement. The jury deserved better.

I can't play basketball.

Forensic pathologist Dr. Werner Spitz, 97 years old. He sat on the first of two government committees to review President John F. Kennedy's assassination. He also worked as a consultant in many high-profile death cases across the United States, including those involving O.J. Simpson, Casey Anthony, Jon Benet Ramsey and Phil Spector.

The sheer volume and type of evidence in the case should have resulted in a conviction,
I forget now since it has been so long since this happened, but my vague recollection was that much of the evidence wasn't allowed to be presented to the jury because of the F-ups of the LAPD. So while Joe Q Public saw all of the mounds of evidence it wasn't allowed to be presented to the jury so to them there wasn't as much which left the reasonable doubt possibility.

I wasn't on jury but having served on a locally high profile murder trial jury I know that not everything was presented to us. I found out many things after the fact once the trial was over that was never able to be presented during the trial. With how public the OJ trial was it was almost like two different trials going on.

My Mom and her caretaker passed away on April 8th. Thoughts are prayers for both of their souls would be greatly appreciated. My Mom loved life. When my Mom turned 40, she went back to college so that she could become an RN. After she worked in a few hospitals she eventually worked in nursing homes and then finally she became a nursing home inspector. She saved countless lives over her years, she never talked about it, but I know that she did. Anyway, Mom was the exact opposite of Dad. My Dad was an extremely introverted, quiet, pensive, introspective, humble and "me last" kind of a person about everything. My Mom was loud, brash, outspoken, extroverted, intrepid, attention seeking and to be honest she was always a "me first" kind of a person about everything. . . and I mean that in both good and bad and I loved and hated that about her, but she was who she was. And I say that because I remember once when I got hit in the face with a baseball when I was a kid. My Mom ran onto the field to cradle her "baby boy's" face in front of fans, players, parents, coaches and everyone else to make sure I was okay. It was precious and sweet, but I was branded a sissy/Momma's boy by both boys, girls, parents and coaches alike for years to come. Thanks Mom! :) My Dad was working, we lived in a really small town, and when he got home, he said "I heard something happened at the ballpark today. What happened?" My old man looked on in absolute horror (for me) as my Mom described exactly what had happened. They made the perfect team.

I met my wonderful wife 30 years ago this month. My Dad got to meet my wife once but, unfortunately, he later passed away 2 days before Thanksgiving, so he didn't get to be with us for the wedding. My wife and I were married about a year later. At our wedding, we hired a harpist to play during our Catholic ceremony and later on during our reception. We had a pretty intimate wedding, maybe 50 or 60 people, only family and very close friends. At some point, during the reception, we were sitting at a table talking and my Mom got up and excused herself and I didn't really think much of it. A few minutes later, I heard a very familiar song quietly playing and I looked over and saw her sitting beside the harpist because she had requested that she play a very familiar song for her. My lasting memory of my Mom will always be of the loudest, most brash, outspoken, attention seeking woman on the planet, quietly sitting in front of the harpist alone, with tears streaming down her face, not trying to seek attention but instead just quietly listening to the harpist play her and my Dad's favorite song.

My Mom and her caretaker passed away on April 8th. Thoughts are prayers for both of their souls would be greatly appreciated. My Mom loved life. When my Mom turned 40, she went back to college so that she could become an RN. After she worked in a few hospitals she eventually worked in nursing homes and then finally she became a nursing home inspector. She saved countless lives over her years, she never talked about it, but I know that she did. Anyway, Mom was the exact opposite of Dad. My Dad was an extremely introverted, quiet, pensive, introspective, humble and "me last" kind of a person about everything. My Mom was loud, brash, outspoken, extroverted, intrepid, attention seeking and to be honest she was always a "me first" kind of a person about everything. . . and I mean that in both good and bad and I loved and hated that about her, but she was who she was. And I say that because I remember once when I got hit in the face with a baseball when I was a kid. My Mom ran onto the field to cradle her "baby boy's" face in front of fans, players, parents, coaches and everyone else to make sure I was okay. It was precious and sweet, but I was branded a sissy/Momma's boy by both boys, girls, parents and coaches alike for years to come. Thanks Mom! :) My Dad was working, we lived in a really small town, and when he got home, he said "I heard something happened at the ballpark today. What happened?" My old man looked on in absolute horror (for me) as my Mom described exactly what had happened. They made the perfect team.

I met my wonderful wife 30 years ago this month. My Dad got to meet my wife once but, unfortunately, he later passed away 2 days before Thanksgiving, so he didn't get to be with us for the wedding. My wife and I were married about a year later. At our wedding, we hired a harpist to play during our Catholic ceremony and later on during our reception. We had a pretty intimate wedding, maybe 50 or 60 people, only family and very close friends. At some point, during the reception, we were sitting at a table talking and my Mom got up and excused herself and I didn't really think much of it. A few minutes later, I heard a very familiar song quietly playing and I looked over and saw her sitting beside the harpist because she had requested that she play a very familiar song for her. My lasting memory of my Mom will always be of the loudest, most brash, outspoken, attention seeking woman on the planet, quietly sitting in front of the harpist alone, with tears streaming down her face, not trying to seek attention but instead just quietly listening to the harpist play her and my Dad's favorite song.
From one Buckeye to another, bless you @Sullie!

That was beautiful to read. Thank you for sharing and so sorry for your loss.

We also had a harpist at our wedding. Your wedding sounds lovely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing. That's a wonderful tribute. :heart:

Sorry for your lost.. Just lost my dad about a month ago as well. It's tough.. Good luck to you

We also had a harpist at our wedding. Your wedding sounds lovely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you. My Mom was 88, she had congestive heart failure and I was prepared for the call but I wasn't prepared for how she died, it was pretty shocking, maybe some day I'll feel comfortable sharing.

Anyway, I can't take credit for the harpist, I wouldn't have thought about it in a million years, it was my wife's idea. She mentioned it, I wasn't really sold on it but when we met with the woman to go over songs which she would play throughout the wedding, I was all in.

@thewarrenhaynes
RIP Dickey Betts – not sure what to say. Such a huge loss. Not only for our musical family, but for the world of music in general. Aside from being a huge, major influence on my music from before I picked up a guitar, Dickey was the one person I credit for everything amazing that happened in my career. As I have stated many times, I was a huge Allman Brothers fan from the very beginning. My oldest brother had the first album in 1969 and it got a ton of play around our house. By the time the Live at Fillmore East record came out in 1971, I was just starting to play guitar and that was with without question the album that influenced me and all my young guitar playing friends the most. We would all listen to it for hours on end, day in and day out. It was a moment and time. What a beautiful gift to up and coming guitar players who might want to travel down that road of improvisation and melding influences. The way he and Duane Allman played together was a thing of beauty and glory. Dickey’s style was a combination of all his diverse influences filtered through his personality and what came out was a joyous sound that would directly or indirectly influence all related music to come. Listening as a kid I had no idea that one day our paths would cross and that he would become a mentor to me. In addition to being the huge influence and inspiration that he had been for years, he was also a presence that loomed larger than life. I started playing with the Dickey Betts Band around 1986 and when he recruited me to be the other guitar player and the slide guitar player in his band, it was the ultimate compliment. I’ll never forget speaking to him on the phone when he called to offer me the job. It was one of those “pinch me” moments in my life, but I had no way of knowing what a heavy moment it would prove to be. After playing in Dickey’s band for 2 1/2 years, I got the call to join my favorite band of all time, The Allman Brothers Band. No one knew at that time that they were considering reforming, so it came as a shock to me. We all signed on to do what we thought was only gonna be a reunion tour for the band’s 20th anniversary to support the Dreams box set. Not myself or anyone else ever imagined that it would turn into what it did and I wound up spending 25 years of my life life as a member of my favorite band. As I’ve also said many times, when I think of the Allman Brothers Band, I automatically think of the original band with Duane Allman and Berry Oakley, who unfortunately passed way too soon, and although I’m extremely proud of my work with the band, that will always be the case. Dickey Betts and I created a lot of great music together and what I took from him was a major contribution in my life. It did not take long once I joined his band to realize, standing next to him with that beautiful tone, that I had a lot to work to do on both with my tone and with my style. It was amazingly intimidating to stand there night after night realizing how far I had to go. He threw me in the lake and I had to learn to swim. I am forever grateful for that “once in a lifetime” opportunity. Thanks Dickey.-WH

Daniel Dennett apparently passed away today - no link, but his wikipedia page has been updated. He was one of the "new atheists" and wrote Breaking the Spell, which is the one of those books that I thought was most persuasive. I tried getting into his stuff on the nature of consciousness but didn't get very far.

Anyway, I can't take credit for the harpist, I wouldn't have thought about it in a million years, it was my wife's idea. She mentioned it, I wasn't really sold on it but when we met with the woman to go over songs which she would play throughout the wedding, I was all in.
We had a similar experience. I'd known our harpist for a long time when we hired her. My parents paid for the wedding. It was great. Some time later, he mentioned that he was unsure about having a harpist rather than the pianist and singer he knew. He just went with it because that's what we wanted. He said she was lovely and he was happy she played. Parents do surprise you sometimes.

@thewarrenhaynes
RIP Dickey Betts – not sure what to say. Such a huge loss. Not only for our musical family, but for the world of music in general. Aside from being a huge, major influence on my music from before I picked up a guitar, Dickey was the one person I credit for everything amazing that happened in my career. As I have stated many times, I was a huge Allman Brothers fan from the very beginning. My oldest brother had the first album in 1969 and it got a ton of play around our house. By the time the Live at Fillmore East record came out in 1971, I was just starting to play guitar and that was with without question the album that influenced me and all my young guitar playing friends the most. We would all listen to it for hours on end, day in and day out. It was a moment and time. What a beautiful gift to up and coming guitar players who might want to travel down that road of improvisation and melding influences. The way he and Duane Allman played together was a thing of beauty and glory. Dickey’s style was a combination of all his diverse influences filtered through his personality and what came out was a joyous sound that would directly or indirectly influence all related music to come. Listening as a kid I had no idea that one day our paths would cross and that he would become a mentor to me. In addition to being the huge influence and inspiration that he had been for years, he was also a presence that loomed larger than life. I started playing with the Dickey Betts Band around 1986 and when he recruited me to be the other guitar player and the slide guitar player in his band, it was the ultimate compliment. I’ll never forget speaking to him on the phone when he called to offer me the job. It was one of those “pinch me” moments in my life, but I had no way of knowing what a heavy moment it would prove to be. After playing in Dickey’s band for 2 1/2 years, I got the call to join my favorite band of all time, The Allman Brothers Band. No one knew at that time that they were considering reforming, so it came as a shock to me. We all signed on to do what we thought was only gonna be a reunion tour for the band’s 20th anniversary to support the Dreams box set. Not myself or anyone else ever imagined that it would turn into what it did and I wound up spending 25 years of my life life as a member of my favorite band. As I’ve also said many times, when I think of the Allman Brothers Band, I automatically think of the original band with Duane Allman and Berry Oakley, who unfortunately passed way too soon, and although I’m extremely proud of my work with the band, that will always be the case. Dickey Betts and I created a lot of great music together and what I took from him was a major contribution in my life. It did not take long once I joined his band to realize, standing next to him with that beautiful tone, that I had a lot to work to do on both with my tone and with my style. It was amazingly intimidating to stand there night after night realizing how far I had to go. He threw me in the lake and I had to learn to swim. I am forever grateful for that “once in a lifetime” opportunity. Thanks Dickey.-WH

Warren always has really meaningful things to say when one of his comrades or any musician who influenced him dies. Thanks for posting the whole thing.

Just learned OG Moody Blues founding member Mike Pinder passed away yesterday, aged 82 years.

Went from being part of a wannabe R&B group to providing a wall of sound for one of the earliest progenitors of prog/psychedelic pop, Pinder was the first to retire, playing his last notes with the band on their 1978 post-hippie era album, Octave.

While Nights in White Satin was the first song of theirs I noticed, I came to enjoy their subsequent albums before their hiatus in the early 70's, though I'll also admit to liking their Long Distance Yoyager album (1981) as well.

This one bums me out; I think Mike was a trooper for rolling with the punches when they drastically changed course by staying with them during their original peak years. A true professional and important part of their success.

Just learned OG Moody Blues founding member Mike Pinder passed away yesterday, aged 82 years.

Went from being part of a wannabe R&B group to providing a wall of sound for one of the earliest progenitors of prog/psychedelic pop, Pinder was the first to retire, playing his last notes with the band on their 1978 post-hippie era album, Octave.

While Nights in White Satin was the first song of theirs I noticed, I came to enjoy their subsequent albums before their hiatus in the early 70's, though I'll also admit to liking their Long Distance Yoyager album (1981) as well.

This one bums me out; I think Mike was a trooper for rolling with the punches when they drastically changed course by staying with them during their original peak years. A true professional and important part of their success.
Just wanted to add:

Pinder was renowned for his technological contributions to rock music, most notably in the development and emergence of the Mellotron in 1960s rock music. In 2018, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Moody Blues. He was the last surviving member of the group's original five members.

Just wanted to add:

Pinder was renowned for his technological contributions to rock music, most notably in the development and emergence of the Mellotron in 1960s rock music. In 2018, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Moody Blues. He was the last surviving member of the group's original five members.
Wasn't sure how to slip the Mellotron into my write-up, so thanks for adding. He probably wouldn't have ever used one without the personnel change after their first hit, Go Now.

Isn't life strange?

Users who are viewing this thread