What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A better solution to the "defenseless receiver" problem... (1 Viewer)

The NFL has been up in arms lately about head-to-head contact, particularly when it involves "defenseless" receivers. These hits commonly cause concussions and with the recent research on the aftereffects of concussions, the NFL has opted to change the way these hits are penalized. In an attempt to solve the problem the NFL has decided to fine defensive players and has also threatened suspensions.

But a better, and perhaps counterintuitive, way to reduce the number of these violent collisions is to relax the pass interference and illegal contact rules. This rule change would have a number of positive effects on the number of concussions among pass receivers.

[*]If there is constant jostling and fighting between receivers and cornerbacks, receivers would not be able to streak down the field like they currently do. Thus, when there is contact between a defender and a defenseless receiver, the receiver would not be running as fast and therefore the collision would not be as violent.

[*]If the receiver and cornerback are constantly jostling, it would be more difficult for a linebacker or safety to line up a "kill shot" because they would not be able to precisely predict where the receiver would be.

[*]With this change in the rules, teams would not be able to throw over the middle much, if at all, anymore. Most teams would likely shy away from these throws in favor of throws to the sideline, away from defenders. This would indirectly reduce the number of violent collisions between defenders and receivers.

In my opinion the current crisis with head-to-head hits is in no small part the result of years of rulechanges designed to open up offensive play. Quarterbacks are passing more than ever, and passes up the middle are more common than they used to be. Instead of penalizing defensive players, the league should reexamine the rules it has made over the past 35 years. Reverting to an older style of play, when the middle of the field was a dead zone, would actually reduce the number of serious head injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Logical, though they would have to add a rule back to prevent DBs from just tackling the WR while the ball is in the air.

:excited:

i like the idea of it.

key word here is relax. obviously, we cant grant defenders the ability to rothlesburger the receivers while the ball is in the air but a slight relaxation of the pass interference rules would have defenders place a higher priority in preventing the catch rather than knocking the ball loose via train wreck.

a very simplistic scenario

pre new rules the saftey says:

i can try to break this pass up---50% success, 50% fail+wr runs for a td

i can go for the big hit to knock the ball loose---50% success, 50% catch and tackle

post new rules:

i can try to break this pass up---70% success, 30% fail+wr runs for a td

i can go for the big hit---50% success, 50% catch and tackle

another thing that would help is to get rid of that newish "cant touch the receiver after 5 yards" rule, or what ever that is and go back to the old school rules in covering. giving receivers a clear path to get run his route results in MORE receptions which results in MORE collisions. if defenders could play more hands on throughout the route, there will be a decrease in receptions in dangerous coverages (man coverage with a safety over the top)

why is that? what are dangerous coverages?

the man up defender usually isn't the hammer, he is the wrap up tackler. in most cases, he is too close to the receiver to gain the steps necessary for the big hit. the hammer is either the deep saftey or linebacker playing middle zone. when the man up corner knows he has that deep saftey help, he can be more aggressive in covering his receiver. the current rules only allow him to jump in front of the receiver to deflect the pass. if he fails, the saftey is there to lay the boom. with these new (or old school rules) the defender can now make some contact with the receiver (to an extent) which results in less catches in those danger coverages. the less receptions in danger coverages, the less big hits there are.

as much as this hinders the flanking receivers, this does a even bigger part in defending the inside slot receivers. defensive schemes usually do not allow the cover man to bump the slot receiver. he is usually 1 yard back, sometimes in motion. almost always getting a free release. once he gets past 5 yards, he's free. the linebackers cant touch him until the ball gets into his possession. this is why wes welker was some dominant. if the slot guy has zone linebackers knocking him off his route all the time, he will not have as many balls thrown his way. it messes up the timing and he doesn't get open as much. again, this prevents balls being caught over the middle which is the most dangerous place to catch a pass.

in a nutshell, the "reinstated old ways" of playing takes some middle of the filed catches away and reallocates them to sideline passes and running plays.

it changes the game a lot, but so does handing out suspensions

I've always thought reducing the amount of padding would be a better idea. These guys hurl themselves around like they are indestructible because of this armor they wear. Especially the helmet. No sane person is going to launch through the air headfirst into a 240lb TE running at them full speed, unless they have been trained to ignore a basic human instinct, to protect themselves. I say return to a more traditional padding and headcover level and be done with it. They could continue to play like they do now until injuries end their career or return to a more natural style of play.

I've always thought reducing the amount of padding would be a better idea. These guys hurl themselves around like they are indestructible because of this armor they wear. Especially the helmet. No sane person is going to launch through the air headfirst into a 240lb TE running at them full speed, unless they have been trained to ignore a basic human instinct, to protect themselves. I say return to a more traditional padding and headcover level and be done with it. They could continue to play like they do now until injuries end their career or return to a more natural style of play.
Joe Paterno would like that idea.

:rolleyes: Agreed - I played Rugby in college and half of the game is technique and positioning your body so you're not as likely to get hurt. Plus, there's a rule where you have to "attempt to wrap". Of course it's not 100% foolproof (like traveling in basketball), but it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread