What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Actors with limited range (2 Viewers)

Mark Wahlberg (agreed) 

Matt Damon

Vin Diesel is kind of the same guy in every movie

Michelle Rodriguez (Vin Diesel's gf from FnF) exact same character in every movie she does 

Liam Neeson 

Seth Rogen - always that stoner dude now

Jason Statham has morphed into the British Assassin guy in every movie he does.  I think he has range but I feel like he looks at the cash and says "eff range, I'll take the easy money."

Danny Trejo (this is the guy from Machete) - he's the same character in every single movie he does

Zooey Deschanel - I honestly don't get the fascination, she's a one trick pony like Michael Cera

Michael Cera 

Jesse Eisenberg - the walmart version of Michael Cera

Jack Black

Adam DeVine - the walmart version of Jack Black

Jack Black
Jack Black plays himself a lot, but he's got a little range in his back pocket: The Holiday, Bernie, Goosebumps.

Adam Sandler is similar -- Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish were critical faves, but Grown Ups 2 pays the bills.

Sean Connery. His accent stays the same whether he is James Bond, Russian sub commander, his character in Highlander, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some actors are pigeon-holed into the same type of roles. Sure, for some, that's all they have as far as talent. Others simply take what they are offered. 

Mark Wahlberg (agreed) 

Matt Damon

Vin Diesel is kind of the same guy in every movie

Michelle Rodriguez (Vin Diesel's gf from FnF) exact same character in every movie she does 

Liam Neeson 

Seth Rogen - always that stoner dude now

Jason Statham has morphed into the British Assassin guy in every movie he does.  I think he has range but I feel like he looks at the cash and says "eff range, I'll take the easy money."

Danny Trejo (this is the guy from Machete) - he's the same character in every single movie he does

Zooey Deschanel - I honestly don't get the fascination, she's a one trick pony like Michael Cera

Michael Cera 

Jesse Eisenberg - the walmart version of Michael Cera

Jack Black

Adam DeVine - the walmart version of Jack Black
Seth Rogen needs a good throat punch.

Jack Black plays himself a lot, but he's got a little range in his back pocket: The Holiday, Bernie, Goosebumps.

Adam Sandler is similar -- Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish were critical faves, but Grown Ups 2 pays the bills.
Sandler in Sandy Wexler and The Meyerowitz Stories are both not part of his usual schtick. 

echoing the SLJ selections - first that came to my mind. 

and Jack Black is close, imo ... worst thing about Black is the slew of wannabes he's created - Black is OK in doses, but the imitators are horrid. 

Nicolas Cage (How'd we get this far without Cage being mentioned  :confused: )
Brendan Fraser

To be fair to him, he has been typecast in that woooden, doofus role.

Early in his career, he was very good in dramatic turns in River's Edge and My Own Private Idaho, but outside of an occasional romantic lead, he has basically been the same character.

Christopher Walken

A tremendous actor for what does, but he really doesn't veer much beyond anti-social psychopath or Blue Oyster Cult aficionado.

To be fair to him, he has been typecast in that woooden, doofus role.

Early in his career, he was very good in dramatic turns in River's Edge and My Own Private Idaho, but outside of an occasional romantic lead, he has basically been the same character.
he was wooden and a doofus in those too.

but somehow he gets roles in good movies.

I don't think most of these guys have limited range.  I just think they're typecast in a specific role. Bryan Cranston would've fit into this category before Breaking Bad, just because he had never been given a chance to be anything other than the goofy dad character.  Vince Vaughn, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, etc. have all shown us they can be very convincing in a dramatic role, it's just easier for them to make money playing the characters everyone expects from them.

Meryl Streep...she always plays a critically acclaimed actress in a movie that no one sees...

Some of these suggestions are ridiculous.  Pitt? Denzel? Hankes? Costner? 

Oh come on

I don't think most of these guys have limited range.  I just think they're typecast in a specific role. 
Always thought Robert Davi had more range than the standard bad guy roles he got...but man he could play "mob guy #3" like nobody's business.

some guys are typecast for a reason...I don't want to see Schwarzenegger play Hamlet.  I want to hear him yell get to da chappah, zing a few bad guys with some puns, and fire off thousands of rounds an hour.

Meryl Streep

Kenneth Branagh

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Heath Ledger

Gary Oldman

Edward Norton

Charlize Theron

Johnny Depp

Daniel Day Lewis

Just getting these out of the way because inevitably somebody will mention them...

Funny as I was going to post Tom Hanks as well. Always plays the same sympathetic character.
LMAO.  Yea, these roles all seem the same: Big, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Philadelphia, A Leauge of Their Own, Money Pit, Bachelor Party

Users who are viewing this thread