What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adam Vinatieri (1 Viewer)

dansav

Footballguy
Please save your comments and take this for what it is worth..

A co-worker of mine's brother in -law is good friend with Adam (his niece babysits for him)

This weekend, they were talking and Adam mentioned 5 teams that are interested: Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Indy, N.E. and Dallas. Adam wants a 5-year deal and Minny has more room than any of these teams to afford him. Adam thinks as of right now, Minnesota will come the strongest and that is where he will probably end up.

A co-worker of mine's brother in -law is good friend with Adam (his niece babysits for him)
Be prepared for alot of Barrys Barber jokes. :popcorn: Something I found funny many years ago was a guy I used to work with saw my 49er shirt I was wearing and we started talking and he asked me what I thought about old kicker Mike Cofer. This was back when Cofer was still on the team and I went into a complete :rant: :hot: :rant: with a few POS, Bum, ###### etc; that went into it, had no idea that his sister was Cofers wife. :excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pats have already offered AV a deal that would make him the highest paid kicker in NFL history. My guess is his main concern is making as much money as possible (which I have no problem with). Since he turned the Pats down I'm also going to guess that word has come from the grapevine that there is a team willing to break the bank and beat the Pats offer by a decent amount.

While losing AV will be painful I don't fault either side. As a kicker he has never made huge money and this is his chance to cash in. He's not getting any younger and he needs to take advantage of the situation he's in. As far as the Pats are concerned they have offered AV a quality deal and I don't think it makes sense to vastly overpay for him. It's a tough situation but in a salary cap league the teams that make the tough decisions are usually the smart ones.

The Pats have already offered AV a deal that would make him the highest paid kicker in NFL history. My guess is his main concern is making as much money as possible (which I have no problem with). Since he turned the Pats down I'm also going to guess that word has come from the grapevine that there is a team willing to break the bank and beat the Pats offer by a decent amount.

While losing AV will be painful I don't fault either side. As a kicker he has never made huge money and this is his chance to cash in. He's not getting any younger and he needs to take advantage of the situation he's in. As far as the Pats are concerned they have offered AV a quality deal and I don't think it makes sense to vastly overpay for him. It's a tough situation but in a salary cap league the teams that make the tough decisions are usually the smart ones.
Are you NUTS? Hasnt he been franchised the past 3 years? When you are franchised you get the average of the top 5 at your position. Vinatieri has been making VERY good money for a LONG time. AT LEAST since 2001 and probably before that as well.

The Pats have already offered AV a deal that would make him the highest paid kicker in NFL history.  My guess is his main concern is making as much money as possible (which I have no problem with).  Since he turned the Pats down I'm also going to guess that word has come from the grapevine that there is a team willing to break the bank and beat the Pats offer by a decent amount.

While losing AV will be painful I don't fault either side.  As a kicker he has never made huge money and this is his chance to cash in.  He's not getting any younger and he needs to take advantage of the situation he's in.  As far as the Pats are concerned they have offered AV a quality deal and I don't think it makes sense to vastly overpay for him.  It's a tough situation but in a salary cap league the teams that make the tough decisions are usually the smart ones.
Are you NUTS? Hasnt he been franchised the past 3 years? When you are franchised you get the average of the top 5 at your position. Vinatieri has been making VERY good money for a LONG time. AT LEAST since 2001 and probably before that as well.
That was a one year deal not involving a bonus. Totally different situation than what he's looking at right now. As for good money...kickers make nowhere near the other positions. He has made good money for a kicker but that pales in comparasion to other top players at other positions. Right now he has a chance to really set his family up and he'd be foolish not to test the waters.

The Pats have already offered AV a deal that would make him the highest paid kicker in NFL history.  My guess is his main concern is making as much money as possible (which I have no problem with).  Since he turned the Pats down I'm also going to guess that word has come from the grapevine that there is a team willing to break the bank and beat the Pats offer by a decent amount.

While losing AV will be painful I don't fault either side.  As a kicker he has never made huge money and this is his chance to cash in.  He's not getting any younger and he needs to take advantage of the situation he's in.  As far as the Pats are concerned they have offered AV a quality deal and I don't think it makes sense to vastly overpay for him.  It's a tough situation but in a salary cap league the teams that make the tough decisions are usually the smart ones.
That was a one year deal not involving a bonus. Totally different situation than what he's looking at right now. As for good money...kickers make nowhere near the other positions. He has made good money for a kicker but that pales in comparasion to other top players at other positions. Right now he has a chance to reallt set his family up and he'd be foolish not to teat the waters.
He is NOT going to get a huge bonus. And he is NOT going to get a 5 year deal unless it is structured so that the last 2 years mean nothing.A HUGE offer to him will be $4 million bonus and $2 million per for 3 years. That would be a 3 year $10 million deal. That is the best I can see him doing.

"Good money for a kicker."? Should he be paid like a QB? I make good money for the Head of Operations of a top Money Manager but that pales in comparison to what the Portfolio Managers make. :confused:

Another area AV needs to look at is endorsements. Right now he's a local icon doing very well in that area. He may not have that same opportunity elsewhere so while his football contract could be bigger that doesn't mean his annual revenue will be.

That was a one year deal not involving a bonus. Totally different situation than what he's looking at right now. As for good money...kickers make nowhere near the other positions. He has made good money for a kicker but that pales in comparasion to other top players at other positions. Right now he has a chance to really set his family up and he'd be foolish not to test the waters.
B-I love Vinatieri, but he's a friggin' kicker for God's sake. He's been well paid for the past 10 years as far as Im concerned, and that's if he was only making 200k a year. Personally, I think he's making a HUGE mistake leaving the Pats if theyve offered him a contract that would make him the highest paid K in league history. This is a simple case of how much money does a guy need??? IMO, he's got all the money he or his family will ever need. He stays in NE, he's beloved for the next 5 years and for the rest of his life. He leaves now and chases the money, he sacrifices all that for a couple of extra million. Personaly, Im happy NE is not willing to break the bank for a K. They'll just have to find someone else clutch or win by more than a FG in the future.

That was a one year deal not involving a bonus. Totally different situation than what he's looking at right now. As for good money...kickers make nowhere near the other positions. He has made good money for a kicker but that pales in comparasion to other top players at other positions. Right now he has a chance to reallt set his family up and he'd be foolish not to teat the waters.
He is NOT going to get a huge bonus. And he is NOT going to get a 5 year deal unless it is structured so that the last 2 years mean nothing.A HUGE offer to him will be $4 million bonus and $2 million per for 3 years. That would be a 3 year $10 million deal. That is the best I can see him doing.

"Good money for a kicker."? Should he be paid like a QB? I make good money for the Head of Operations of a top Money Manager but that pales in comparison to what the Portfolio Managers make. :confused:
The guy just turned down an offer that was the biggest ever given to an NFL kicker so that would indicate he's looking to get thew most possible. By no means should he be paid like a QB or other important positions. That still doesn't mean that another team isn't willing to give a very big contract as far as NFL kickers are concerned. Again, since he hasn't made huge money over the years (by NFL standards) I feel he will be looking to maximize his earning with this contract. He's 33 years old and this is his chance to get a big deal.

B-I love Vinatieri, but he's a friggin' kicker for God's sake. He's been well paid for the past 10 years as far as Im concerned, and that's if he was only making 200k a year. Personally, I think he's making a HUGE mistake leaving the Pats if theyve offered him a contract that would make him the highest paid K in league history. This is a simple case of how much money does a guy need??? IMO, he's got all the money he or his family will ever need. He stays in NE, he's beloved for the next 5 years and for the rest of his life. He leaves now and chases the money, he sacrifices all that for a couple of extra million. Personaly, Im happy NE is not willing to break the bank for a K. They'll just have to find someone else clutch or win by more than a FG in the future.
I pretty much agree with you which is why I don't mind the Pats not going overboard to keep him. Yet, I also don't have a problem with AV taking advantage of his situation to maximize his earnings. He's played by the rules and has earned that opportunity. Hopefully they can work things out but that remains to be seen.

A frianchise Kicker and a Franchise Corner are two very different things....

This weekend, they were talking and Adam mentioned 5 teams that are interested: Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Indy, N.E. and Dallas. Adam wants a 5-year deal and Minny has more room than any of these teams to afford him. Adam thinks as of right now, Minnesota will come the strongest and that is where he will probably end up.
Wouldn't this be considered tampering since the other teams are not allowed to contact him or his representation BEFORE his is officially a free agent?

I would hate to admit to buying a kicker's jersey, but if he becomes a Cowboy I might have to splurge on one.

This weekend, they were talking and  Adam mentioned 5 teams that are interested: Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Indy, N.E. and Dallas.  Adam wants a 5-year deal and Minny has more room than any of these teams to afford him.  Adam thinks as of right now, Minnesota will come the strongest and that is where he will probably end up.
Wouldn't this be considered tampering since the other teams are not allowed to contact him or his representation BEFORE his is officially a free agent?
It depends if the Pats have granted permission for him to chat with other teams. It's very hard to tell nowadays with all the labor talks. Abraham for example is free to chat with anyone. If Parcells and Vinat have kept in touch(like he did with drew) how do you know if it's a "how ya been" conversation or a "come sign with us" one?Very tricky and very hard to prove

All the above may not matter because the Pats elected NOT to make him their franchise player. Franchise contracts are 1 year and is 2005 over or is it over March 1st(err Thursday?)

This weekend, they were talking and  Adam mentioned 5 teams that are interested: Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Indy, N.E. and Dallas.  Adam wants a 5-year deal and Minny has more room than any of these teams to afford him.  Adam thinks as of right now, Minnesota will come the strongest and that is where he will probably end up.
Possibly... However, I didn't say the teams interested contacted him

Sounds like a line from one of my favorite movies!My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Adam Vinatieri pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:D

I don't think a five year deal is much to ask for...that will probably finish off his career. I still hope he is with the Pats though...the kicker pool looks thin this year.

Matt Bryant -- Buccaneers

Jose Cortez – Colts

Paul Edinger -- Vikings

Ryan Longwell – Packers

Todd Peterson -- Falcons

Mike Vanderjagt -- Colts

Any link to what the Pats offered him? I keep hearing "making him the highest paid kicker in NFL history" but without a nice big signing bonus, that moniker is like being the best looking girl in Wichita.

Any link to what the Pats offered him? I keep hearing "making him the highest paid kicker in NFL history" but without a nice big signing bonus, that moniker is like being the best looking girl in Wichita.
Had they Franchised him, he would have been the highest paid.I read on Boston.com that the offer was about 2 Million a year...not sure how many years though.

I don't think a five year deal is much to ask for...that will probably finish off his career. I still hope he is with the Pats though...the kicker pool looks thin this year.

Jose Cortez – Colts

Paul Edinger -- Vikings

Ryan Longwell – Packers

Todd Peterson -- Falcons

Mike Vanderjagt -- Colts
Longwell and Vanderjagt aren't chopped liver...throw in Vinatieri and this is a VERY good kicking free agent group, I don't see how it could get any better.

I don't think a five year deal is much to ask for...that will probably finish off his career.  I still hope he is with the Pats though...the kicker pool looks thin this year.

Jose Cortez – Colts

Paul Edinger -- Vikings

Ryan Longwell – Packers

Todd Peterson -- Falcons

Mike Vanderjagt -- Colts
Longwell and Vanderjagt aren't chopped liver...throw in Vinatieri and this is a VERY good kicking free agent group, I don't see how it could get any better.
You think VanderJagt is going to come any cheaper than Adam V? Longwell has not been as accurate the last few years. Last year he was 6 for 10 between 30 - 40 yards, and 3 for 5 between 40 - 50 yards. No thank you...

Adam V is worth the money he wants.

I think I would just stick with Adam V.

Jose Cortez – Colts

Paul Edinger -- Vikings

Ryan Longwell – Packers

Todd Peterson -- Falcons

Mike Vanderjagt -- Colts
You think VanderJagt is going to come any cheaper than Adam V? Longwell has not been as accurate the last few years. Last year he was 6 for 10 between 30 - 40 yards, and 3 for 5 between 40 - 50 yards. No thank you...

Tony Kornheiser said it best on PTI when he compared Vinitieri to Mariano Rivera - best closer in baseball. I think Vinitieri is worth $3 million a year for what he does for his team.

He better be careful holding out for more somewhere else. He wasn't even in top 20 fantasy kickers this year. A complete surprise to me.

Not sure why? Didn't own him so didn't pay much attention! Seems to me he would be stupid playing the free agent market. Kickers are a dime a dozen as it is!

He better be careful holding out for more somewhere else. He wasn't even in top 20 fantasy kickers this year. A complete surprise to me.

Not sure why? Didn't own him so didn't pay much attention! Seems to me he would be stupid playing the free agent market. Kickers are a dime a dozen as it is!
:lmao: in so many ways :lmao:

This probably has been said... but if not.

I see now possible way that he is not in Dallas next season.

My guess is that he already has a very good idea that another team is going to make a substantial offer to him. Whether it's Minny or Dallas or another team I do not know. Yet, by all appearances he seems very confident heading into free agency.

I think Adam is in it for the money to finish off his career. According to the Boston Globe, he was offered enough money to make him the highest paid kicker....don't know the length of the contract though. He declined to see if the FA market would offer him more...as a fan of his I feel betrayed some. He wanted more money, and was offered more. He will have to wait longer since FA not looks like it is Saturday 12:01 am.

Adam Vinatieri – The Boston Herald reported that Vinatieri turned down a deal from the Patriots that would have made him the highest paid kicker in the NFL. Don’t read too much into that right now. Even though the Patriots offered Vinatieri a lot of money, it wouldn't be wise for him to sign just before free agency is about to start. He will test the open market and see if any teams blow him away with an offer he just can’t turn down. There’s nothing wrong with that. This is a business, remember, and Vinatieri wouldn’t be doing himself justice if he didn’t check to see what kind of money he can get in free agency. If a team is willing to offer him a lot more than the Patriots are, he will probably take it. If teams offer just slightly more than the Patriots proposal, he’ll most likely return to New England. In other words, some team is going to have to drastically overpay for a kicker or there is a good chance Vinatieri will stay put.

I think Adam is in it for the money to finish off his career. According to the Boston Globe, he was offered enough money to make him the highest paid kicker....don't know the length of the contract though. He declined to see if the FA market would offer him more...as a fan of his I feel betrayed some. He wanted more money, and was offered more. He will have to wait longer since FA not looks like it is Saturday 12:01 am.

Adam Vinatieri – The Boston Herald reported that Vinatieri turned down a deal from the Patriots that would have made him the highest paid kicker in the NFL. Don’t read too much into that right now. Even though the Patriots offered Vinatieri a lot of money, it wouldn't be wise for him to sign just before free agency is about to start. He will test the open market and see if any teams blow him away with an offer he just can’t turn down. There’s nothing wrong with that. This is a business, remember, and Vinatieri wouldn’t be doing himself justice if he didn’t check to see what kind of money he can get in free agency. If a team is willing to offer him a lot more than the Patriots are, he will probably take it. If teams offer just slightly more than the Patriots proposal, he’ll most likely return to New England. In other words, some team is going to have to drastically overpay for a kicker or there is a good chance Vinatieri will stay put.
You feel betrayed even though he has played for less than market value for years? NE fans are spoiled by having so many players play for less than they are worth. It sucks to be like the rest of us doesn't it?

I think Adam is in it for the money to finish off his career.  According to the Boston Globe, he was offered enough money to make him the highest paid kicker....don't know the length of the contract though.  He declined to see if the FA market would offer him more...as a fan of his I feel betrayed some. He wanted more money, and was offered more.  He will have to wait longer since FA not looks like it is Saturday 12:01 am.

You feel betrayed even though he has played for less than market value for years? NE fans are spoiled by having so many players play for less than they are worth. It sucks to be like the rest of us doesn't it?
2005 - He was franchised, so that means he was making the average of the top 5 players, correct?2004 - 9th in total salary

Player Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value

Vinatieri, Adam Patriots $ 1,425,000 $ 0 $ 4,600 $ 1,429,600 $ 2,095,777

2003 - 4th in total Salary

Vinatieri, Adam Patriots $ 0 $ 1,400,000 $ 254,500 $ 1,654,500 $ 2,320,676

2002 - 20th

Vinatieri, Adam Patriots $ 61,765 $ 723,529 $ 5,600 $ 667,364 $ 1,223,246

2001 - 12th

Vinatieri, Adam Patriots $ 61,765 $ 723,529 $ 5,600 $ 667,364 $ 1,223,246

2000 - 7th

Vinatieri, Adam Patriots $ 425,000 $ 300,000 $ 154,800 $ 879,800 $ 879,800

In the last six year, Except for one year, he has been in the top 12 in salary for kickers. Prior to 2000, I don't think the Patriots needed to pay top money for a kicker.

My statement about betrayal was that he wanted more money, and was offered more money by the Pats...

nerangers,

I think there's an error there if his salary is 0 for 2003
I checked it again...0 base for 2003Year Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position

2004 Patriots $ 1,425,000 $ 0 $ 4,600 $ 1,429,600 $ 2,095,777 K

2003 Patriots $ 0 $ 1,400,000 $ 254,500 $ 1,654,500 $ 2,320,676 K

2002 Patriots $ 61,765 $ 723,529 $ 5,600 $ 667,364 $ 1,223,246 K

2001 Patriots $ 500,000 $ 0 $ 155,200 $ 955,200 $ 955,200 K

2000 Patriots $ 425,000 $ 300,000 $ 154,800 $ 879,800 $ 879,800 K

Vinatieri, Adam

nerangers,

I think there's an error there if his salary is 0 for 2003
I checked it again...0 base for 2003Year Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position

2004 Patriots $ 1,425,000 $ 0 $ 4,600 $ 1,429,600 $ 2,095,777 K

2003 Patriots $ 0 $ 1,400,000 $ 254,500 $ 1,654,500 $ 2,320,676 K

2002 Patriots $ 61,765 $ 723,529 $ 5,600 $ 667,364 $ 1,223,246 K

2001 Patriots $ 500,000 $ 0 $ 155,200 $ 955,200 $ 955,200 K

2000 Patriots $ 425,000 $ 300,000 $ 154,800 $ 879,800 $ 879,800 K

Vinatieri, Adam
thanks for the researchI don't get that. There is a leadue minimum.

Longwell has not been as accurate the last few years. Last year he was 6 for 10 between 30 - 40 yards, and 3 for 5 between 40 - 50 yards. No thank you...

Longwell was 24 for 28 in 2004 (85.7%). In the past three years, he's hit 82.7% of his field goals, better than Vinatieri's 82.1%.

Longwell has not been as accurate the last few years.  Last year he was 6 for 10 between 30 - 40 yards, and 3 for 5 between 40 - 50 yards.  No thank you...

Longwell was 24 for 28 in 2004 (85.7%). In the past three years, he's hit 82.7% of his field goals, better than Vinatieri's 82.1%.
Longwell is 81.6 over his career, and Adam 81.8. OK, so they are both good...Still rather keep Adam. :football:

Longwell has not been as accurate the last few years.  Last year he was 6 for 10 between 30 - 40 yards, and 3 for 5 between 40 - 50 yards.  No thank you...

Longwell is 81.6 over his career, and Adam 81.8. OK, so they are both good...Still rather keep Adam. :football:
What's even more impressive is that they have to play in the north - outside - and still put up the good numbers...that's why I want one of them in Minny next year!!

Users who are viewing this thread