What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adjusting keeper values in subsequent years (1 Viewer)

T Love

Footballguy
One league I am in is switching over to a keeper league from a traditional auction. What is the best way to "inflate" keeper values in subsequent years so that you don't have studs always being kept at super low prices. Not trying to get into a debate about merits of such a goal, as that is what majority in league want, but what is a fair way to inflate values in the coming years, in particular so that a player cant/won't be kept for many years at very low values?

One league I am in is switching over to a keeper league from a traditional auction. What is the best way to "inflate" keeper values in subsequent years so that you don't have studs always being kept at super low prices. Not trying to get into a debate about merits of such a goal, as that is what majority in league want, but what is a fair way to inflate values in the coming years, in particular so that a player cant/won't be kept for many years at very low values?
The Auction Keeper format I play in (and really enjoy) is where a player's salary escalates by $5, then 10% of that amount the following year. Almost all of the high value players return to the auction the following year and the average 18-man roster keeps 3-7 players I would say. There is plenty of turnover for teams that didn't do too well, and plenty of opportunity to stockpile younger players for the well-off squads. So a $10 player in 2011 can be kept for $16.50 in 2012. But a $50 guy would be $66 the following year, which would be a crippling amount most likely if they were kept. Just my .02

My main dynasty league, and the most fun, works like this:

Once you draft a guy, you get him under contract for 3 years. At the end of year 3, you get one chance to renegotiate his contract -- for each year you extend his contract though, the value goes up $5 per year.

So if draft a guy for $20, you get him at $20 for 3. At the end of year 3, if you extend him for 2 more years, he goes to $30 for years 4 and 5, if you extend him for 3 more years he goes to $35 for years 4, 5 and 6, and so on. Once he has been extended once, he becomes a free agent once that second contract expires.

This keeps player turnover at a decent rate while still offering the potential to have significant value players for a few years. At some point though, if you want to lock a guy up long term, you have to pony up.

My main dynasty league, and the most fun, works like this:Once you draft a guy, you get him under contract for 3 years. At the end of year 3, you get one chance to renegotiate his contract -- for each year you extend his contract though, the value goes up $5 per year. So if draft a guy for $20, you get him at $20 for 3. At the end of year 3, if you extend him for 2 more years, he goes to $30 for years 4 and 5, if you extend him for 3 more years he goes to $35 for years 4, 5 and 6, and so on. Once he has been extended once, he becomes a free agent once that second contract expires.This keeps player turnover at a decent rate while still offering the potential to have significant value players for a few years. At some point though, if you want to lock a guy up long term, you have to pony up.
:thumbup:Essentially the same format in my keeper league.The only difference in our league is that you have to make the contract extension decision after year two of the initial three-year deal (same $5 increment for each year added on). You can extend the player after year two or let him play out the final year of his original contract at which point he becomes a free agent.Works great for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
$5 increase the first year, another $10 the second year, and another $15 increase the third for $30 increases in total. Then back in the pool. $300 budget.

Our league transitioned from a traditional serpentine/non-keeper draft to a $200 auction/keeper format several years ago.

We allow 3 keepers each year, and players can be kept a maximum of 3 years before requiring they go back to the auction pool for open bidding.

Keeper prices are last year's price +10%, rounded up. To keep sleeper waiver wire pickups/late round flyers who explode from completely unbalancing the league, we put minimum keeper thresholds of $10/$15/$20 for years 1/2/3.

I think the 10% price increase is effective, especially as you get higher in the price range and your $44 player from last year costs you $49. I've wondered whether we've put our minimum thresholds a little low, though. Buying Chris Johnson his rookie year for $5, for instance, could have been very unbalancing with $10/15/20 costs the next three years versus his actual auction values in the $50+ range. That's a lot of "saved" cheddar to throw around each year.

If I had to make an adjustment, I'd recommend bumping up the minimum costs for each successive year kept...15/25/35, perhaps. By the time you'd be keeping a waiver wire darling for the 3rd time, $35 might not make him an automatic keeper vs. the current $20 price, but it would still be a decent value for having anticipated the performance of a top 5 RB, for instance.

With our setup, we still have a good number of big names out on the open auction block, especially those players who were bought for $45+ the year before, since their keeper prices become prohibitively expensive quickly.

Whoops, replied but missed it was an auction league.

My league uses an extension similar to the previous post. We also have a 3 year base contract, but our decision to extend is made in year 2, and any raise they get also applies to year 3 then. And you are limited to 1 and 2 year extensions, so the max you can keep the player is 5 years. The raise is greater of 20%/$5 for 1 year and 40%/$10 for 2 year extensions.

We also then have a franchise tag (greater of average top 5 position salaries, $10 and 20% raise) and 2 transition tags (average top 10 salaries, $5 and 10% raise) that can be used to start a new 3 year contract. There is an auction of just the tagged players, where the original owner doesn't bid. Other owners can bid and if anyone does, the original owner has the right to match and keep the player at the winning bid, or let the player go and receive rookie draft pick compensation (two 1sts for franchise tag, a single 2nd for transition tag).

In my 2 keeper leagues a player can be kept for the first year at whatever pick he was taken the prior year. Each subsequent year we subtract 4 rounds. seems to work pretty well.

we have different formulas for free agents in each league, but this is the one I like the best.

2) Keeper Categories - You will be allowed to keep up to 5 players from each of the following categories from your end-of-the-year roster. If you choose not to keep a player from a higher category, you may keep an extra player in a lower category.

The following keeper tiers will apply to next year’s keepers:

Category A. 1 Player valued in rounds 1-4*

Category B. 1 Player valued in rounds 5-8

Category C. 1 Player valued in rounds 9-12

Category D. 2 Players valued in rounds 13-18 (free agents will worth a 16th round pick**)

*In Category A you can’t keep a player actually drafted in the 1st round. You can only keep a player who has a 1st round value that was kept in a previous year. A player with 1st round value cannot be kept for consecutive years.

FREE AGENT RB/WR - Any RB/WR not drafted at the beginning of the season who scores in the top 15 for their position will be worth an 8th round pick. Top 30 for their position will be worth a 12th round pick. Other positions are not restricted.

3) Keeper Prices - For each player you decide to keep from last year's roster, you will forfeit that respective pick in this year's draft. For example, if you keep your 3rd round draft pick from last year, you will not have a 3rd round draft pick this year.

You can only keep players that are on your roster at the end of the year. If you trade or release a player you may not keep that player unless you reacquire them. If someone else acquires a player who was drafted and then released/traded by someone, they have the keeper value of the round they were drafted.

Keeping a free agent will cost a 16th round pick if you keep one, a 16th and 17th round choice if you keep two, and 16-17-18 round choices if you keep three. The keeper value of all of these players would still be worth a 16th round pick. The same would apply if you kept two players in the 8th round – you would lose your 8th and 9th round picks, but both of their keeper values would be 8th round.

4) Keeper Devaluation - If a player is kept for two consecutive years, the player is worth the original draft position minus 4 rounds. For example, if Donald Driver was drafted in the 13th round, keeping him this year will cost a 13th round draft choice. If he is kept for two consecutive years he will cost a 9th round draft choice, the third year a 5th, etc.

If you choose to keep a player drafted in rounds 2-5 for a second consecutive year, it will cost you a 1st round draft choice. If you go this route you WILL NOT be able to keep another player valued in Category A.

Users who are viewing this thread