What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (2 Viewers)

Local sports radio guy seems to think he's the best thing left on the Skins roster for carries, could end up with 15 touches a game.  Time will tell on that one, but looks to be a RBBC I'd want nothing to do with at this point. 

Redskins coach Jay Gruden is aiming for Adrian Peterson to play in Friday's preseason game against the Broncos.

Peterson impressed Tuesday at his first Redskins practice, drawing praise from Gruden, who said the 33-year-old looked to be in "fantastic physical shape." Obviously Peterson is still learning Gruden's offensive scheme but if the veteran can "get up to speed," he could see a handful of reps in Friday night's dress rehearsal. At worst, the 33-year-old will share a committee role with Rob Kelley, Chris Thompson and Samaje Perine (when healthy).

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports 

Aug 21 - 3:33 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm convinced that a 50 year old AP is better than the skinny, dreadless version of Kelley I watched during preseason action. And WAS's OL should be good this year, definitely better than last year and better than what AP dealt with in ARI. The situation is at least interesting. 
I agree.  AP is better than anything they have.  The Skins RBs are awful without Guice.

But Gruden could have all three of Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, and Earl Campbell in their prime, and he'd have a bad running game.  His run plays are terribly designed.  Gruden doesn't particularly care if his RBs do anything other than chip block and get into the flat.  Gruden's first year here Morris had 1000 yards.  He ran Morris out of town.  And since then no RB has had more than 750 yards in a season.  The team has finished 30th in yards per attempt 2 of the last 3 years.

AP might still have something in the tank, but WAS is going to be a tough place to see it.

I'm convinced that a 50 year old AP is better than the skinny, dreadless version of Kelley I watched during preseason action. And WAS's OL should be good this year, definitely better than last year and better than what AP dealt with in ARI. The situation is at least interesting. 
Waldman's podcast this week essentially made this argument.  Peterson needs carries to get in a rhythm and wear out a defense.  He doesn't have the long speed anymore, but he can be an above average grinder (think Alfred Morris).  That's probably better than anything the Redskins have right now, and their OL is pretty good when healthy, especially on that left side with Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff.

Well, I suppose the Redskins finally got Adrian Peterson, albeit 12 years too late.   

Taking LaRon Landry over Peterson will go down as the worst draft pick in Redskins' history.   The Vikings had a 1200-yard rusher in Chester Taylor, and they still took All Day.   

In a redraft, I’d throw a late dart. We saw a bit of a resurgence in Arizona when he was given the heavy workload before their OL was completely decimated. 

AP isn’t going to create a lot on his own anymore or bust off 50-yard runs, but he can still grind. Give him 15-20 carries with a good OL and he can probably average around 4 YPC or just under. I think he’s kinda like Frank Gore was the last couple of years in Indy, but with a WAY better OL. 

Don't the redskins have that former Sooner at Tackle? Williams? That guy probably dreamed of blocking for ADP

Where is he going in PPR redraft now? I have two drafts tomorrow and trying to decide where to grab him.... 

8th? 9th? 10th? 

Where is he going in PPR redraft now? I have two drafts tomorrow and trying to decide where to grab him.... 

8th? 9th? 10th? 
I got him for a buck in my auction last night with my last pick.

Just a few minutes ago I got him in the 14th.

Tomorrow? I'm sure after tonight he will keep rising to the 7th or 8th. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 6th in a few days.

Don't sleep on Latavius Murray, he was injured last year, he's having a great camp, and Cook gets injured a lot. I'd take him before Peterson, just my two and half cents.

Tool said:
Don’t do it.
Elaborate please. You don’t think he’s the starting 2 down back behind a solid OLine in a fairly run heavy offense? Is Rob Kelley going to be the guy? 

Not being a Smartass.. looking for logical reasons why ADP doesn’t feel like a solid RB4 this year with upside. 

Elaborate please. You don’t think he’s the starting 2 down back behind a solid OLine in a fairly run heavy offense? Is Rob Kelley going to be the guy? 

Not being a Smartass.. looking for logical reasons why ADP doesn’t feel like a solid RB4 this year with upside. 
I see him starting strong but fading fast over the first handful of games.  I paired him with Ingram and am hoping I will get 5-6 weeks out of him.

I see him starting strong but fading fast over the first handful of games.  I paired him with Ingram and am hoping I will get 5-6 weeks out of him.
Interesting strategy.... pair them then dump ADP to a fanboy w5 if he’s still chugging along... 

EDIT: ouch... just looked at the combo... ADP has 3 tough matchups and a wk4 bye in those first 6 weeks. Hrmm 

Interesting strategy.... pair them then dump ADP to a fanboy w5 if he’s still chugging along... 

EDIT: ouch... just looked at the combo... ADP has 3 tough matchups and a wk4 bye in those first 6 weeks. Hrmm 
Fair enough, but he was basically free in my auction.  I think I threw out $2 and had no competition at that point.

They are my 3rd RB/Flex.

eta - make it a 3 headed monster, Jonathan Williams also free.

Fair enough, but he was basically free in my auction.  I think I threw out $2 and had no competition at that point.

They are my 3rd RB/Flex.

eta - make it a 3 headed monster, Jonathan Williams also free.
Yeah I wasn’t judging at alll, just did some reading and am Tempering enthusiasm just a touch is all ?  I still love the plan if the price is right 

I wouldn't touch him before the 13th and even that is a stretch. It's just an ugly situation there and with 3 early down backs on that team any of them can get hot and make the others irrelevant.

I think he's done.

Maybe he shocks us all.  

He had opportunity in Arizona last season, and averaged 3.4 YPC.  They had Fitzgerald at least.

Who do I love on the Redskins offense?  Jamison Crowder?  Jordan Reed who will miss half the season?  I think Alex Smith makes them better, but they're not going to light it up this year.  Rotoworld compared him to Jamal Williams/Chris Cason--I'd rather take a flyer on one of the young guys and hope they put a death hold on the job.  

I love AP/AD.  He's an all-time.  Especially for fantasy.  But he's 33.  He's on his what, 4th team in the last 2 years?  

If you're taking him and he has a great week 1 or 2--I'd sell quickly.  Don't ask for Antonio Brown or Diggs, but if you can upgrade your WR3 or TE--that's a win to me.  

I thought he looked pretty good but its tough to tell. The Skins still count muster any points with him in the lineup. This was against a tough Denver D but how motivated were they to tackle?

I think he's still got enough juice in the tank to get to 800-1000 yards but I just don't think Gruden runs the ball enough or in the right situations. 

Crazy that ADP is ther only guy within reach of Emmitt Smith's record yet he's not even in the top 10 all time. 

In a league where you only get 15 add/drops for the entire year......is Peterson worth picking up off waivers?  It's a 12 man ppr that I went receiver heavy early so I ended up with Alex Collins, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen, and Kerryon Johnson as my backs.

I’d be concerned the same thing happens last year when he took over for an injured David Johnson. Looked mighty good on fresh legs the first week but age/wear and tear crept in pretty quickly.

People passing on a starting running back on a good offense in the 10+ plus round baffles me. Peterson has enough in the tank to put up respectable numbers. He doesn't have enough to over come a terrible backup QB. Now he has a good offensive line, good skill positions, solid QB. 1000/8+ tds mark it down.

I took him in the 9th at pick 102 last night. 
I took him in the 9th/10th in a 12 man and 10 man as my rb4/5. To all the people worried he will flame out after two good games can easily flip him to a RB hungry team after those first few games. Not seeing much downside.

I took him in the 9th/10th in a 12 man and 10 man as my rb4/5. To all the people worried he will flame out after two good games can easily flip him to a RB hungry team after those first few games. Not seeing much downside.
I went kind of a zero RB strategy so he's valuable to me because I might need someone to start at RB early in the year while I am trying to figure out the position. 

Weebs210 said:
What about when those trade partners (that you think you can easily flip him to) say “I’m worried he’ll flame out after two good games, so I don’t want to trade for him?”

Over his past 16 games played, going all the way back to the 2015 playoffs, Peterson has produced:

216 carries, 646 rushing yards, 2.99 ypc, 2 TD, 16 receptions, 91 receiving yards, and 0 receiving TD.

In that time, there were 86 RB's that had at least 100 carries between 2016 and 2017 combined. Only two had a lower ypc (Doug Martin and Dwayne Washington).

Caveat emptor.

Over his past 16 games played, going all the way back to the 2015 playoffs, Peterson has produced:

216 carries, 646 rushing yards, 2.99 ypc, 2 TD, 16 receptions, 91 receiving yards, and 0 receiving TD.

In that time, there were 86 RB's that had at least 100 carries between 2016 and 2017 combined. Only two had a lower ypc (Doug Martin and Dwayne Washington).

Caveat emptor.
Wow Doug Martin really sucks too.

Caveat emptor.
Take out those 2 big games would lower that total by 293...

Users who are viewing this thread