What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Advice for ppl in committed relationships - please listen (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
4 weeks ago my wife had an aneurysm. She has defied the odds and is alive! 50% don't make it to the hospital and of the remaining 50% only 15% survive the type my wife had. So yes my wife is awesome! But that's not why I am posting. She is still unconscious in the icu and here lies the problem. We had separate accounts on everything, yes dumb but even more dumb is I don't even know her passwords. So now I'm paying for everything waiting for her to awake. The dr's say despite the damage she absolutely could have a complete recovery.

Now my advice to you all....Run, don't walk and get power of attorney documents signed and notorized on each of you. Then put them in the safe and forget about them. It doesn't matter if you all share accounts. If for whatever reason your spouse is tko'ed the ability to speak for them legally is critical. I'll give an example: even if we shared all accounts I found out that I can apply for her short term disability however they cannot give me updates because I don't have power of attorney on her.

You all have been warned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope your wife recovers fully and soon.

Yes, your advice is good. Also, for those of us who are the sandwich generation, the same advice holds true when it comes to parents who are advancing in age.

Serious question: you don't automatically get power of attorney over your wife? I did not know that.

One of my mom's good friends had a brain aneurysm a couple years ago, and she has made a full recovery. I wish the same for your wife.

1st of all props to you for even being this strong or feeling the need to save other FFA folks with this PSA. My heart goes out to your wife, Godspeed and a full recovery. Second, i think this is strong information and something I have not thought about. Sounds like a good idea.

If there is anything we can do Boot, sorry you are having to struggle with this. Do you have resources to get you thru or are you having to call in laws yet? Don't be ashamed to reach out to mom n dad, would not call upon your wife's parents.

What age is your wife if you don't mind.

I assume above everything you are just happy she is likely to pull thru and make a full recovery. Ts&Ps

hope your wife makes a full recovery. just another reminder not to take the time we have for granted.

and thanks for nickels worth of free advice.

So sorry to hear - hope your wife makes a full recovery.

Is this typically handled in estate planning, living will, trust set up, etc? I sure hope so, paid the best guy in our region good money to put one together 2 years ago, so I hope that sort of scenario is covered. But based on your comments I'll definitely check. Thanks

I hope your wife recovers, I'm thankful to hear that she has done as well as she has so far.

And thank you for taking the time during an incredibly difficult period for you to share some exceptionally valuable advice.

I'm going to heed it.

1st of all props to you for even being this strong or feeling the need to save other FFA folks with this PSA. My heart goes out to your wife, Godspeed and a full recovery. Second, i think this is strong information and something I have not thought about. Sounds like a good idea.

If there is anything we can do Boot, sorry you are having to struggle with this. Do you have resources to get you thru or are you having to call in laws yet? Don't be ashamed to reach out to mom n dad, would not call upon your wife's parents.

What age is your wife if you don't mind.

I assume above everything you are just happy she is likely to pull thru and make a full recovery. Ts&Ps
She is 51. We have 3 kids. 2 are young, 10 and 7. The funny thing is she always worried about aneurysms. Had headaches and a history of aneurysms in the family. Just 3 months ago went to the doctor complaining about them. Had a CT done but nothing showed up. I've come to learn that a CT would not have shown potential aneurysms so I wonder why they did it. I also wonder if they offered my wife the test that would have shown if she was at risk. Based on her family history and her complaints of headaches they should have done a different test. This is something I'm going to circle back on later. Money wise, I'm good for now. I'm blessed to have a great job that pays well. She was talking to me when this happened. We both work from home. I was already working from home and then she go a job where she also was working from home, I aint going to lie, I thought it would suck having her also work from home. 24/7 with your spouse, YUCK! But we got along great. (Oh how I miss my wife now). She worked upstairs and me downstairs. The day it happened, she came downstairs to send a fax. We were laughing about how messy and unorganized she is. She said to me man my head hurts after going to the dentist, i asked her what did they do? She was behind me at this time and I couldnt see her. I heard her call out my name. I again asked her, what did they do? She didnt respond. So I got up and found her slumped on the floor. I called 911 and she was at the hospital within 45 minutes.

The Doctor spoke to me...and it was grim. Their whole group, probably 7 doctors who have seen over 50,000 aneurysm cases have only seen 3 cases of this type of aneurysm, Initially they told me there was nothing they could do except get her to stabilize. Our family is very religious type. We all prayed like crazy. The next day the Dr told us that over the night the shape of the aneurysm changed and they could now perhaps attempt to coil it. Miracle. They coiled it and it was successful. My wife is quite the rock star on the unit. :)

I have however had to go MOP on one of the nurses. He was awful and got voted off the island. Thats another piece of advice. You are your best advocate. If you dont like something, let them know. Demand change! I did and things are much better now.

So now it has been 4 weeks. Only 2 days ago did we start talking about quality of life, before that it was "is she going to live." She's had 4 strokes. YIKES! But its amazing, the areas affected are not that big of a deal. 2 of the areas dont even do anything modern science can determine. I was told the wake up period could take up to a month. Yet my wife already responds to commands! like open your eyes, move your toes, give a thumbs up!!!! I would never have thought that opening your eyes was such a huge deal. The blessings we all take for granted are amazing.

She could/will have a complete recovery. My wife is wonder woman. :)

Best wishes for your wife's recovery.

If it helps: my mom had an aneurysm over 20 years ago, lost her ability to connect the words in her head to the words she spoke. She recovered that ability and others, and is still alive and well now.

Best wishes for your wife's recovery.

If it helps: my mom had an aneurysm over 20 years ago, lost her ability to connect the words in her head to the words she spoke. She recovered that ability and others, and is still alive and well now.
Thanks for this, this was one area because she is left handed that may potentially be affected. It does help my spirits!!

Great to hear that she is doing her best in a horrible situation. Hopefully the good news continues.

And great advice too. We did all the paperwork a couple of years ago. Valuable piece of mind to have and not that hard to do. Definitely worth it.

I had a co-worker who lost his wife to this. Very scary. I am glad your wife has made it so far and I pray for her full recovery.

Hoping she makes a full recovery and good advice.

My wife and I have been married for 30+ years and have always shared everything so there is no need to worry about the separate accounts thing for us though.

My wife and I have been married for 30+ years and have always shared everything so there is no need to worry about the separate accounts thing for us though.
Wrong. Sorry. If she is unconscious but alive you cannot make any legal decisions for her without power of attorney. Doesn't matter if you've been married 50 years.

Wrong. Sorry. If she is unconscious but alive you cannot make any legal decisions for her without power of attorney. Doesn't matter if you've been married 50 years.
I was talking about getting access to accounts. All of ours are held jointly so no worries there. We already have a power of attorney. We did that when we made out our wills and living wills.

I was talking about getting access to accounts. All of ours are held jointly so no worries there. We already have a power of attorney. We did that when we made out our wills and living wills.
OK. I just don't want others to make the same mistake we did. I however just found out that today she is responding, trying to talk(she can't, has a trake) constantly, is smiling and even laughed a bit. Dr told me Friday this waking up procees could take a month. It's been 4 days. To think a month ago I was told they couldn't even repair it. However the next day I was told the aneurysm got bigger and now they could coil it. Amazing.

Best wishes to your wife. So happy she is responding.

And, FWIW, single people, who obviously have no joint accounts, really need to take care of this also in case of illness. Health care directive, too.

Great advice Boots and thanks for the heads up. Need to take care of that! Best wishes to you and your wife and family. Hope recovery is swift and complete.

Money is one thing, insurance contracts and such are a different matter.

And best wishes to you OP, and your family during this difficult time.

How scary. Glad it's looking promising that she'll recover from this. All the best to you and your family.

Thanks for the advice also. I would add that it's important to have life insurance for you and your spouse, even if you're young and in good health, and regardless of who is the primary breadwinner. This thread is a reminder of how unpredictable life can be.

Any lawyers have any specific advice on how to easily set up (and inexpensively, if possible) a power of attorney on my wife and myself?

Thanks in advance.

How scary. Glad it's looking promising that she'll recover from this. All the best to you and your family.

Thanks for the advice also. I would add that it's important to have life insurance for you and your spouse, even if you're young and in good health, and regardless of who is the primary breadwinner. This thread is a reminder of how unpredictable life can be.
Since we don't have kids, we decided against life insurance. Our savings and investments will be enough for a while if one of us dies. We are looking into long-term care insurance though.

Thanks for the heads up, Boots. Been putting this off way too long. T&P to you and the wife...

Since we don't have kids, we decided against life insurance. Our savings and investments will be enough for a while if one of us dies. We are looking into long-term care insurance though.
How old are you? Best advice I can give you is to only buy with a reputable carrier. LTC rates are not guaranteed by any carrier and can be increased, and many carriers have increased rates for in-force business (some by well over 100%). When looking at a policy, ask if you could still fund it in your 80s if the price went up by 50%+

How old are you? Best advice I can give you is to only buy with a reputable carrier. LTC rates are not guaranteed by any carrier and can be increased, and many carriers have increased rates for in-force business (some by well over 100%). When looking at a policy, ask if you could still fund it in your 80s if the price went up by 50%+
49, she's 43.

Thanks for the advice.

49, she's 43.

Thanks for the advice.
Then you may very well be paying premiums for 30-40 years, each, possibly longer. The chances of your premiums remaining level for that long with just about any carrier is slim. I'd only look at "triple A" rated ones, and ask very specifically to whoever you're purchasing from - "has this carrier ever raised premiums for an in-force policy?"

So, so sorry you are all going through this...many thoughts and prayers for you all.

Great advice on the PoA! James (guderian) was lucky in the sense that while diagnosed with leukemia out-of-the-blue, he had time to set up a PoA, will and spreadsheet with all of his passwords for me. It's a good reminder for us all to have a printout of these things that our families can find in case we're suddenly incapacitated, as horrible as it is to think about that happening.

My heart goes out to you and I pray your wife makes a full recovery.

It is very good advice, but sorry it has to be communicated during such terrible circumstances. Best wishes to you and your family.

Users who are viewing this thread