What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AJ Jenkins. (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee currently projects Kyle Williams as the 49ers' starting "X" receiver over A.J. Jenkins.
Beat writer Matt Barrows' depth chart is based on where players lined up in offseason practices. Rookie Quinton Patton is listed as the No. 3 "Z" receiver behind Anquan Boldin and Ricardo Lockette. It would be a major blow to Jenkins' career if he couldn't beat out Williams, but we expect him to dispatch the special teamer. Patton is the bigger threat as Jenkins attempts to nail down a starting job in the absence of Michael Crabtree.

Related: Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton

Source: Sacramento Bee
For what it's worth, I think Barrows has been highly outspoken against Jenkins ever since last year's draft.

By all accounts, there wasn't anything to be excited about from Jenkins' 2012 season, but just a consideration that even if Jenkins is starting to turn the corner - and there's been some indication that he's much-improved this spring - Barrows might be having a hard time looking at it objectively given his past predisposition.

Just a thought.

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee currently projects Kyle Williams as the 49ers' starting "X" receiver over A.J. Jenkins.
Beat writer Matt Barrows' depth chart is based on where players lined up in offseason practices. Rookie Quinton Patton is listed as the No. 3 "Z" receiver behind Anquan Boldin and Ricardo Lockette. It would be a major blow to Jenkins' career if he couldn't beat out Williams, but we expect him to dispatch the special teamer. Patton is the bigger threat as Jenkins attempts to nail down a starting job in the absence of Michael Crabtree.

For what it's worth, I think Barrows has been highly outspoken against Jenkins ever since last year's draft.

By all accounts, there wasn't anything to be excited about from Jenkins' 2012 season, but just a consideration that even if Jenkins is starting to turn the corner - and there's been some indication that he's much-improved this spring - Barrows might be having a hard time looking at it objectively given his past predisposition.

Just a thought.
Or, more reasonably, Jenkins just isn't that good

Rotoworld:

Just a thought.
For the record, Rotoworld sucks. It does provide an eye-pleasing snapshot of injuries, who they believe made news and whatever fits their pre-conceived narrative for the day, but other than that they are terrible. The link they sourced regarding Jenkins has very little to do with Jenkins at all, and is all pure speculation on Rotoworld's part, not actual shuffling of the depth chart, deficiencies at the WR position or eyes on the ground as to what happened in camp, OTAs, practice or whatever. I never take anything they print seriously unless it is scrubbed against a reputable source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Just a thought.
I read Barrows twice a day and this is out of left field. I don't think I've ever seen Barrows be biased against a player.

Rotoworld:

Just a thought.
I read Barrows twice a day and this is out of left field. I don't think I've ever seen Barrows be biased against a player.
Yeah, out of all of the Bay Area beat writers, Barrows is pretty straight down the middle. He and Kevin Lynch are the only two that I read and take with some credence, although Lynch is more opinionated.

I find it funny that since he hasn't seen the field that automatically means he can't play. Colin Kaepernick didn't beat out Alex Smith last year, that clearly means that Alex Smith is better than Colin Kaepernick, right? ;)

You'd be foolish to write this guy off so early. It's not like he's dog####.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njULL7rEo3c

Besides, who's going to catch deep lasers from Kaepernick off play-action and whatnot? I'll take a chance on the guy they drafted in the 1st Round who runs a 4.39 forty.
This arguement has been debunked numerous times in this thread. He wasn't on the bench behind probowl wrs he was on the bench behind chad hall. They literally signed free agent wr's off the street during the year instead of playing him...

so to use your analogy this isn't alex smith vs ck this is alex smith gets hurt, they sign jeff george and start him, he gets hurt so they bring trent dilfer out of retirement, he gets hurt and they wheel out warren moon in a wheel chair and he starts...if that happened to CK we could all agree the coaches don't clearly see much in him.
So, we should ignore his talent and ignore the fact his Quarterback (Kaepernick) has said he is improving?
:lmao: what do you expect CK to say when asked about his receiver? "He's terrible...he's bad and he's not getting better"?

He's not an idiot, he's going to say whatever makes his teammates look better than they really are, because that's what you do in the NFL if you have half a brain.

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area believes A.J. Jenkins will enter training camp with a "slight lead" over Quinton Patton to start opposite Anquan Boldin.
By most accounts, Jenkins has had a strong offseason on the heels of his lost rookie campaign. Patton is drawing a ton of hype in fantasy circles, but he'll have to be unequivocally better than 2012 first-rounder Jenkins to win the starting job. We give the edge to Jenkins.

Related: Quinton Patton

Source: CSN Bay Area

Rotoworld:

49ers 2012 first-round pick A.J. Jenkins opened camp receiving the majority of first-team reps opposite Anquan Boldin.
Kyle Williams and rookie Quinton Patton are also in the hunt at "X receiver" -- Michael Crabtree's old position -- but Jenkins is getting the first look, likely because of his draft status. We're not excited about his fantasy outlook.

Source: San Jose Mercury News

This whole battle is so uninspiring to me that I think I would rather just have Manningham for peanuts. I think all these guys are pretty pedestrian. My biggest interest in the Niners passing game this year is A) if Kaep will actually increase the amount he passes and B) will Vernon Davis' potential finally be tapped into?

Rotoworld:

According to CSN Bay Area, 2012 first-round pick A.J. Jenkins has "not distinguished himself" through the 49ers' first four camp practices.
The fact that Jenkins "has remained healthy" is the most positive thing beat writer Matt Maiocco had to say about him. Per Maiocco, Jenkins did not have a single reception in 11-on-11 drills during Sunday's workout, and behind Anquan Boldin "none of the other receivers stepped forward in the first four practices." Jenkins is no more than a late-round flier in 2013 fantasy drafts.

I traded Jenkins + a later 2014 1st for Keenan Allen + an early 2014 2nd.

Unless I miss my guess on where the teams finish, I'm happy with that trade.

There's a point in the lifespan of every dynasty bust I have owned where the shroud of potential is lifted, leaving only the reality of what is.

Jenkins is just about there...

FantasyTrader said:
There's a point in the lifespan of every dynasty bust I have owned where the shroud of potential is lifted, leaving only the reality of what is.

Jenkins is just about there...
I've supported him all along but have to agree. It's looking to me like he's going to have a Brandon Lloyd-type career if he even ever develops.

Rotoworld:

49ers WR A.J. Jenkins has resumed practicing in training camp.
Jenkins missed a handful of practices with a strained hamstring, but bounced back with a "good" session on Sunday and declared himself "full-go" for the 49ers' preseason opener. Jenkins is trying to win the No. 2 receiver job.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter

He's just so fast and has good hands. It's not like the guy can't catch a football. I'm thinking this guy can run a lot of medium - deep routes pretty efficiently. I feel like if he's on the field Kaepernick can get him the ball.

His college highlights look pretty decent, I can picture him burning people similar to Torrey Smith speed alone and Kaepernick laying in a rocket. My fear is that someone usurps him for the job right before the season begins.

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area says A.J. Jenkins "might have taken a step forward" during Monday's practice.
Jenkins is over his hamstring strain and back in the mix for a starting job. He caught about 10 passes in 11-on-11 work Monday. Jenkins needs to turn the gas on, especially after the Niners signed Austin Collie.

I acquired Jenkins in a trade earlier in the offseason. I've been debating ever since on if I should move him along to someone else. It just doesn't feel right. I don't know if he has any value either. I might be stuck with him.

I acquired Jenkins in a trade earlier in the offseason. I've been debating ever since on if I should move him along to someone else. It just doesn't feel right. I don't know if he has any value either. I might be stuck with him.
As a Jenkins owner, he has to be a hold; trading him now, you'd get next to nothing for him. And, while there's a chance he might actually be worth less than next to nothing, you almost certainly have more than that invested in him, so giving up on him at this point is sunk cost. Hold and see if he turns it around this year. Latest reports since he came back from injury have been largely positive.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/05/a-j-jenkins-gets-lots-of-looks-in-practice/

A.J. Jenkins gets lots of looks in practicePosted on August 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm by Kevin Lynch in 49ers, featured

Just days after 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said that wide receiver A.J. Jenkins needed more play time, he got it. The former top round pick from last year got what seemed like scores of throws in practice, just three days ahead of the team’s preseason opener at Candlestick against Denver.

Jenkins was mostly highlighted on shorter routes. He also got some work as a kickoff returner. Jenkins is returning from a pulled hamstring that sidelined him for a few days. Jenkins started slowly, failing to get separation from Nnamdi Asomugha during seven-on-seven drills. He then picked it up the team period catching several passes, particularly from starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Highlights included a catch on a deep cross from Kaepernick.

Additionally, rookie quarterback B.J. Daniels took several turns at his position towards the end of practice. With the team likely to preserve Kaepernick and backup Colt McCoy for the regular season, Daniels and Scott Tolzien could get plenty of playing time, particularly in the second half.

Daniels was a little ragged but he did show a quick burst from the pocket. Daniels also returned kickoffs along with Jenkins and LaMichael James.

Kaepernick also started slowly in 7 on 7 passes, but picked it up during the team period.

I just hope he at least gets a legit shot before SF decides that he's not good enough for a significant role this year. He has the talent for it and without Crabtree this WR group is lacking a WR with some explosive ability(Crabtree wasn't exactly a burner either, but made some big plays).

Based on what I saw (or what I didn't see) last year and what I've heard out of camp thus far, I just don't see much to be exicted about for Jenkins. His career path thus far reminds me a bit of Robert Meachem with the Saints.

One catch, one fumble...even a die-hard supporter like myself is getting ready to bail. I thought about trading for him in a league I don't have him but couldn't even muster an offer of Jordan Reed.

One catch, one fumble...even a die-hard supporter like myself is getting ready to bail. I thought about trading for him in a league I don't have him but couldn't even muster an offer of Jordan Reed.
Watch Austin Collie emerge out of all this as a favorite of Kaepernick.

49ers keep coming back to A.J. Jenkins

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Vernon Davis is the latest San Francisco 49ers player to name A.J. Jenkins as the wide receiver he expects to emerge opposite veteran Anquan Boldin.

"I really like A.J. Jenkins," Davis said Monday, according to Matt Maiocco. "He's got a lot of potential. He's still learning the game, he told me yesterday. He has all the potential to do it. It's just taking him a little time, but he will get there, and I think he will be prepared by the start of the season."

Davis caught 20 passes as a rookie in 2006, an underwhelming total for a player drafted sixth overall. Questions about his value as such a high draft choice persisted for years. But as Davis matured, his production improved. He became a Pro Bowl tight end.

Jenkins, chosen 31st overall in 2012, caught zero passes as a rookie. The team didn't really need him, however. The 49ers' rookies played sparingly or not at all because most were buried on the depth chart behind established players.

The answer Davis provided regarding Jenkins on Monday lined up with what 49ers players told me when I posed the same question to them during a visit to camp.

Strong safety Donte Whitner cited Jenkins' speed and ability to "take the top off" an opposing defense. Davis hit on that theme in Maiocco's report when he said, "He's smooth, he's fast and he wants to succeed. Those are the three main things that jump out to me. It's hard to find speed."

Jenkins' ability has shown during practice sessions. He lost a fumble in the exhibition opener Thursday, however, and every misstep in the absence of sustained production will hurt perceptions of him. It's still too early to make a full assessment.

Rotoworld:

49ers OC Greg Roman cited A.J. Jenkins' "down-in and down-out consistency" as the primary factor hindering his improvement.

Roman says Jenkins is capable of "spectacular catches" and his route running is "getting better," but the 2012 first-rounder played behind practice squad-type Marlon Moore in the preseason opener and fumbled away his lone reception. Until Jenkins shows in a game something that might indicate he's not a bust, we're going to consider him one. He's not even worth a fantasy flier.

Aug 12 - 4:31 PM

A.J. Jenkins sees fewer reps for San Francisco 49ersBy Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

A.J. Jenkins' first preseason performance did not inspire a lot of confidence in San Francisco. It's possible that the 49ers wide receiver will have fewer opportunities as a result.

Comcast SportsNet Bay Area noted that Jenkins did not get as many reps in Sunday's practice as in previous days. He didn't even see a pass come his way until the very end of practice, when he caught a pass from quarterback Colt McCoy in 7-on-7 drills.

Jenkins reportedly had a mixed day at the team's Fan Fest practice Saturday, dropping a pass and losing a ball in the sun. We don't know yet if Jenkins' reduced snap count in practice is a one-day blip or growing trend. We do know that Jenkins has failed to step up and claim the No. 2 receiver job like the 49ers have hoped. A guy like Austin Collie might get a chance to run with the starting unit.

Jenkins will continue to receive opportunities because the 49ers don't have great options at the position. But Jim Harbaugh won't be a slave to Jenkins' lofty draft status. After all, Harbaugh didn't let Jenkins get on the field last season after drafting him in the first round.

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

A lot of mixed signals here, but that fumble was the last straw for me. Opportunity on a platter and he does that.

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee doesn't consider 49ers WR A.J. Jenkins a lock for a roster spot.
CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco has hinted at the same thing. Sac Bee beat writer Matt Barrows considers Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, and Quinton Patton the only locks in the 49ers' receiver corps. We'd agree on Patton, but wouldn't go that far on Williams, who is a special-teams type returning from a torn ACL. Cutting a first-rounder just 16 months after he was picked would be almost unprecedented, but Jenkins has shown zero on the field. GM Trent Baalke and coach Jim Harbaugh aren't afraid to make unconventional decisions ... like when they drafted Jenkins. Nevertheless, it's hard to see Jenkins losing his spot unless he's absolutely pathetic over the final three preseason games.

I just recently bought dirt cheap in dynasty with no expectations but if his value has fallen this far, I'll dive in the dumpster one time and see what happens.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora is the latest reporter to hint A.J. Jenkins' 49ers roster spot is not secure.
49ers beat writers Matt Barrows and Matt Maiocco have suggested the same. Per La Canfora, Jenkins has been "beyond frustrating from everything I've heard," and the team may "just takes its losses and move on." Perhaps the Niners will ultimately give Jenkins one more year, but he'd have to do something special before September to earn a spot on the 45-man game-day roster.

Source: CBS Sports

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area suggests disappointing second-year 49ers WR A.J. Jenkins needs to play with "more attitude and urgency" to secure his roster spot.
Beat writer Matt Maiocco believes Jenkins could "easily" save his roster spot if only he'd put forth more effort. As it is, Jenkins is locked into a battle with a host of injury question marks and waiver-wire talents. The fact that the lightbulb still hasn't come on for Jenkins is a troubling sign.

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area suggests disappointing second-year 49ers WR A.J. Jenkins needs to play with "more attitude and urgency" to secure his roster spot.
Beat writer Matt Maiocco believes Jenkins could "easily" save his roster spot if only he'd put forth more effort. As it is, Jenkins is locked into a battle with a host of injury question marks and waiver-wire talents. The fact that the lightbulb still hasn't come on for Jenkins is a troubling sign.

He seems like a clone of Brandon Lloyd. The talent is there but it appears he doesn't get it.

On a recent episode of the HBO series “Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Dallas Cowboys,” the coaching staff made no bones about Amendola’s problems adjusting to the NFL game.

“I’ve got to get a better understanding about the game. I’ve got to get smarter and that means learning the playbook better,” he said. “It’s about the mental aspect.

“But I’m not disappointed. I have the opportunity to learn more about this game.”
Assuming Jenkins does get cut it doesn't mean it's all over for him. Amendola didn't even make a roster his first two years before finally making the Rams.

The biggest problem for Jenkins is that I don't think he cares if he gets cut - he's already made $5.6M so maybe he content to retire from football with his winning lottery ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a recent episode of the HBO series “Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Dallas Cowboys,” the coaching staff made no bones about Amendola’s problems adjusting to the NFL game.

“I’ve got to get a better understanding about the game. I’ve got to get smarter and that means learning the playbook better,” he said. “It’s about the mental aspect.

“But I’m not disappointed. I have the opportunity to learn more about this game.”
Assuming Jenkins does get cut it doesn't mean it's all over for him. Amendola didn't even make a roster his first two years before finally making the Rams.

The biggest problem for Jenkins is that I don't think he cares if he gets cut - he's already made $5.6M so maybe he content to retire from football with his winning lottery ticket.
Jenkins is Marcus Maxwell in the hope he can make the 49ers squad. The thing is Maxwell was drafted in the 7th round, "Mr Baby TO".

Rotoworld:

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was noncommittal when asked about 2012 first-round pick A.J. Jenkins' roster security Sunday.
"Things factor in, but -- longstanding -- football hasn't changed since the inception," said Harbaugh. "The best players make the team." Harbaugh revealed Jenkins will be tried "in some additional roles" this week, including kickoff returner, as the 49ers attempt to give him a chance to earn a roster spot in another capacity. Jenkins is not one of the team's best six wide receivers.

Rotoworld:

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was noncommittal when asked about 2012 first-round pick A.J. Jenkins' roster security Sunday.
"Things factor in, but -- longstanding -- football hasn't changed since the inception," said Harbaugh. "The best players make the team." Harbaugh revealed Jenkins will be tried "in some additional roles" this week, including kickoff returner, as the 49ers attempt to give him a chance to earn a roster spot in another capacity. Jenkins is not one of the team's best six wide receivers.

Painful to read but appreciate the info nonetheless

Users who are viewing this thread