What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AJ Smith "Lord of NO Rings" Poll (1 Viewer)

If it was your decision, would you keep AJ Smith as the Chargers GM?

• Yes, we don't care about winning SBs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, get us a SB winning GM please!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

mambomambo

Footballguy
Just to add to the topic, just read a piece in Yahoo titled: "Chargers GM fought misguided war of wills" where the writer claims that "Jackson’s agents will attempt to get back at Smith by making sure their receiver, once he ends up with a new team next spring (or later, depending upon the uncertain labor landscape), has an inordinately low base salary for 2011 – which would likely reduce the compensatory pick the Chargers would receive for losing Jackson from a potential third-rounder to a sixth- or seventh-round selection."

Can you imagine that....all that bravado for a 7th rd pick when he could've had a 2nd plus something...

I don't have all the details, but it sounds like Jackson wasn't willing to honor the parameters of his contract.

He played a game of chicken and lost.

It might cost Smith value in the short term, but now teams and agents will know that they won't be able to muscle him. That could end up paying dividends in the long run.

I don't have all the details, but it sounds like Jackson wasn't willing to honor the parameters of his contract. He played a game of chicken and lost. It might cost Smith value in the short term, but now teams and agents will know that they won't be able to muscle him. That could end up paying dividends in the long run.
DO you think this will have any impact with UFAs in the future? How many of them do you think will want to even consider playing for the Chargers after this? I wouldn't even think about it, unless this was the only offer I had on the table....I bet players everywhere are now very eager to go play for the Super Chargers....

Do you agree with AJ Smith's decision to keep VJax and get probably very little next yr vs what he could've gotten today?
What could AJ Smith have gotten today? Since we don't know, this question is impossible to answer accurately.

Do you agree with AJ Smith's decision to keep VJax and get probably very little next yr vs what he could've gotten today?
What could AJ Smith have gotten today? Since we don't know, this question is impossible to answer accurately.
We probably won't know for sure until tomorrow...but so called "sources" :rolleyes: keep saying that the Vikings offered at least a 2nd Rd pick.....

We probably won't know for sure until tomorrow...but so called "sources" :rolleyes: keep saying that the Vikings offered at least a 2nd Rd pick.....
A 2nd is not enough. Brandon Marshall brought two 2nds.

If his agents get their way, VJax will sign for almost nothing next yr and AJ's compensation will be a 7th rd pick....would you feel differently then?

If his agents get their way, VJax will sign for almost nothing next yr and AJ's compensation will be a 7th rd pick....would you feel differently then?
Compensation picks aren't based entirely on base salary, so I doubt those hijinks work.

Agreed, this poll is nothing more than a feeble attempt at humor.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=As6M...nchargers092110

The San Diego Chargers have been offered a second-round pick and a conditional pick in 2011 by the Minnesota Vikings for wide receiver Vincent Jackson(notes), three sources said Tuesday
yeah, we do know what was offeredor enough of it anyways.

the 2 by itself means AJ's decision to reject the deal was not based on the best interests of the chargers

Agreed, this poll is nothing more than a feeble attempt at humor.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=As6M...nchargers092110

The San Diego Chargers have been offered a second-round pick and a conditional pick in 2011 by the Minnesota Vikings for wide receiver Vincent Jackson(notes), three sources said Tuesday
yeah, we do know what was offeredor enough of it anyways.

the 2 by itself means AJ's decision to reject the deal was not based on the best interests of the chargers
The Chargers source says the Charger asking price was a 2 in 2011 and a 4th in 2012, so I'm not buying Yahoo's story.

yeah, we do know what was offeredor enough of it anyways.the 2 by itself means AJ's decision to reject the deal was not based on the best interests of the chargers
The Chargers source says the Charger asking price was a 2 in 2011 and a 4th in 2012, so I'm not buying Yahoo's story.
But you believe the Charger's source?.. :rolleyes: Besides, the Chargers have ABSOLUTELY ZERO INCENTIVES in letting the truth be told....

that in no way contradicts Cole's story1. other reports say the conditional pick offered was a 5th2. the charges wanted 2 UNCONDITIONAL picks, not one unconditional and one conditionalchargers wanted- unconditional 2- unconditional 4vikings offered- unconditional 2- conditional 5

Last edited by a moderator:
that in no way contradicts Cole's story1. other reports say the conditional pick offered was a 5th2. the charges wanted 2 UNCONDITIONAL picks, not one unconditional and one conditionalchargers wanted- unconditional 2- unconditional 4vikings offered- unconditional 2- conditional 5
If this is true, then there should be no reason why Charger fans should continue to defend AJ....

We probably won't know for sure until tomorrow...but so called "sources" :shock: keep saying that the Vikings offered at least a 2nd Rd pick.....
Marshall wasn't suspended at the time of his trade. Marshall also signed a long term deal. Finally, Marshall had THREE straight elite years of production in a row while Jackson only had one elite year and one good year. Moreover, Marshall's production was with a very young and raw Cutler and a journeyman QB, Orton; Jackson has had one QB, and one of the top 10 QBs at that. Despite what some people want to say, Jackson has not produced at the same level for as long as Marshall has despite being a better situation.

I voted "No" and "yes". It's pretty clear that A.J. Smith let his ego get in the way on the VJax situation and he acted in a manner that was not in the best interest of the San Diego Chargers. With that said... would I fire him? No. Who would you replace him with? It's not like there are all these top-10 GMs sitting on the street right now waiting for work.

Isn't that because he refused to sign his tender?
No. Vincent Jackson signed a 5 year contract as a rookie, then played 5 years for the San Diego Chargers. He fulfilled all of the terms of his contract. A.J. Smith then offered him his RFA tender, which was essentially a 1-year contract, but Vincent Jackson thought that the contract was insultingly low and not worth the risk of injury, so VJax refused to sign it.
Santana Moss brought a 5th. Your point?At the end of the day, what's "enough" for Vincent Jackson is whatever you can get for Vincent Jackson. A.J. Smith either had a choice of letting VJax go for a 2nd and a conditional pick, or of letting him go for whatever compensatory pick he gets in return (best case scenario: the last pick of the 3rd round). If the 2nd+ wasn't "enough" for Vincent Jackson, then the compensatory pick DEFINITELY wasn't enough. Especially because there's no guarantee the NFL will keep compensatory picks in the next CBA.
Compensation picks aren't based entirely on base salary, so I doubt those hijinks work.
Some guy ran a regression of past compensatory draft picks and was able to reverse-engineer the formula. He's been predicting compensatory picks for the past 3 or 4 years (possibly longer) and has a near-perfect success rate. According to him, conditional picks are based almost entirely on base salary.His name eludes me, but I'm sure someone knows who I'm talking about. Every March people around here create a thread with his projected compensatory picks.

I voted "No" and "yes". It's pretty clear that A.J. Smith let his ego get in the way on the VJax situation and he acted in a manner that was not in the best interest of the San Diego Chargers. With that said... would I fire him? No. Who would you replace him with? It's not like there are all these top-10 GMs sitting on the street right now waiting for work.

Isn't that because he refused to sign his tender?
No. Vincent Jackson signed a 5 year contract as a rookie, then played 5 years for the San Diego Chargers. He fulfilled all of the terms of his contract. A.J. Smith then offered him his RFA tender, which was essentially a 1-year contract, but Vincent Jackson thought that the contract was insultingly low and not worth the risk of injury, so VJax refused to sign it.
Santana Moss brought a 5th. Your point?At the end of the day, what's "enough" for Vincent Jackson is whatever you can get for Vincent Jackson. A.J. Smith either had a choice of letting VJax go for a 2nd and a conditional pick, or of letting him go for whatever compensatory pick he gets in return (best case scenario: the last pick of the 3rd round). If the 2nd+ wasn't "enough" for Vincent Jackson, then the compensatory pick DEFINITELY wasn't enough. Especially because there's no guarantee the NFL will keep compensatory picks in the next CBA.

Some guy ran a regression of past compensatory draft picks and was able to reverse-engineer the formula. He's been predicting compensatory picks for the past 3 or 4 years (possibly longer) and has a near-perfect success rate. According to him, conditional picks are based almost entirely on base salary.His name eludes me, but I'm sure someone knows who I'm talking about. Every March people around here create a thread with his projected compensatory picks.
This guy

So, let me get this straight... the current conjecture is that the chargers were offered a 2nd and a conditional 5th round pick as compensation and because AJ Smith wanted to play hardball with Vincent Jackson now they are likely to get a 7th round pick at the very end of the draft instead.

:wub:

You sure showed him AJ Smith. Way to stick to your guns. :shock:

We probably won't know for sure until tomorrow...but so called "sources" :shock: keep saying that the Vikings offered at least a 2nd Rd pick.....
Hey Vincent, I know our whole plan get you a 5 year 50 million dollar contract this year completely blew up in our faces but how about you waste even more of your earning power in your prime to sign for a really little amount next year so we can get back at AJ Smith. REAL MEN OF GENIUS

Hey Vincent, I know our whole plan get you a 5 year 50 million dollar contract this year completely blew up in our faces but how about you waste even more of your earning power in your prime to sign for a really little amount next year so we can get back at AJ Smith.

REAL MEN OF GENIUS
:shock: :wub: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hey Vincent, I know our whole plan get you a 5 year 50 million dollar contract this year completely blew up in our faces but how about you waste even more of your earning power in your prime to sign for a really little amount next year so we can get back at AJ Smith.

REAL MEN OF GENIUS
:goodposting: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
sigh

the talk was about STRUCTURING the contract so the Chargers would get as little as possible. VJ would still get the exact same money, it just wouldn't help the Chargers.

Whether it's actually possible to do this by making some money guaranteed roster bonuses or whatever, I don't know.

But what I do know is that VJ will NOT be taking any less money just to screw with the Chargers.

REAL MEN OF GENIUS
sigh

the talk was about STRUCTURING the contract so the Chargers would get as little as possible. VJ would still get the exact same money, it just wouldn't help the Chargers.

Whether it's actually possible to do this by making some money guaranteed roster bonuses or whatever, I don't know.

But what I do know is that VJ will NOT be taking any less money just to screw with the Chargers.
If it was possible why wouldn't every free agent do this? Do their agents just like to make other teams better via compensation picks? I swear the complete lack of logic that has been demonstrated in these two threads is amazing.

REAL MEN OF GENIUS
sigh

If it was possible why wouldn't every free agent do this? Do their agents just like to make other teams better via compensation picks? I swear the complete lack of logic that has been demonstrated in these two threads is amazing.
If you had any knowledge whatsoever of how comp picks are calculated, I would actually listen to you.....The reason other UFAs wouldn't do this, is because they really could care less about the previous GM.....in THIS case, the contract could be structured with same or more guaranteed money after yr 1 (which is the year with the biggest weight in comp calculation) and in the end hurt AJ....others don't do it because they are not screwed by the GM.....besides...in the end AJ might not even get anything....we must wait and see what the new CBA looks like. But ONE FACT REMAINS:The Chargers themselves believe that they would probably get a 3rd comp pick next yr......

THIS year, they were offered at least a 2nd Round pick and he turned it down....

It is this simple...maybe the lack of Super Bowl rings is affecting Charger fans comprehension skills.... :lol:

The Chargers themselves believe that they would probably get a 3rd comp pick next yr......THIS year, they were offered at least a 2nd Round pick and he turned it down....
Vincent Jackson himself believes that he'll now get $0 this year.He was offered about $3.3 million and he turned it down.Why is the same reasoning valid in one case but not the other?

I'd imagine most free agents don't have any compelling reason to try to screw their former franchise out of a Comp Pick. Vincent Jackson, on the other hand, has a very strong motivation to go out of his way to make sure the Chargers receive as little compensation for him as is humanly possible. If that means converting a huge chunk of his base salary to a roster bonus or easy-to-reach performance thresholds, then I'm sure he'd be game. Instead of signing a contract that pays him $12 million in the first year, maybe he signs a contract that pays him $500,000 the first year, but gives him an $11.5 million bonus if he catches a pass that season.I don't know if cooking contracts like that in order to reduce compensation is even possible, but if it is, you can bet Vincent Jackson's agents are going to figure out how and do it. And even if it isn't possible, the fact remains that the best case for A.J. Smith is that he turned down a 2nd round pick and then some for the last pick of the 3rd round. Best case.

The Chargers themselves believe that they would probably get a 3rd comp pick next yr......THIS year, they were offered at least a 2nd Round pick and he turned it down....
Vincent Jackson himself believes that he'll now get $0 this year.He was offered about $3.3 million and he turned it down.Why is the same reasoning valid in one case but not the other?
Because the risk is on different sides of the equation.Vincent Jackson turned down $3.3 million this season because, owing to injury risk or the potential for underperformance, he felt like his long term EV was higher by sitting out than it would be by signing a ludicrously below-market contract. By sitting out, VJax gives himself the CERTAINTY of a massive contract. If he'd played, he would only have the LIKELIHOOD of a massive contract at the end of the year. In the long term, and accounting for risk, sitting out results in the maximum possible payout.For San Diego, the risk is entirely on the other side of the equation. A 2nd rounder today would be guaranteed. A compensatory 3rd rounder is not guaranteed. The new CBA might not grant compensatory picks. VJax might structure his contract to screw the Chargers, like his agents suggest. San Diego turned down the CERTAINTY of a 2nd round pick for the LIKELIHOOD of a 3rd round pick (and a very, very late 3rd at that).Vincent Jackson is acting in the best interests of Vincent Jackson. Are you so certain that A.J. Smith is acting in the best interest of the Chargers, here?

I'd imagine most free agents don't have any compelling reason to try to screw their former franchise out of a Comp Pick. Vincent Jackson, on the other hand, has a very strong motivation to go out of his way to make sure the Chargers receive as little compensation for him as is humanly possible. If that means converting a huge chunk of his base salary to a roster bonus or easy-to-reach performance thresholds, then I'm sure he'd be game. Instead of signing a contract that pays him $12 million in the first year, maybe he signs a contract that pays him $500,000 the first year, but gives him an $11.5 million bonus if he catches a pass that season.I don't know if cooking contracts like that in order to reduce compensation is even possible, but if it is, you can bet Vincent Jackson's agents are going to figure out how and do it. And even if it isn't possible, the fact remains that the best case for A.J. Smith is that he turned down a 2nd round pick and then some for the last pick of the 3rd round. Best case.
He's going to risk the chance of getting seriously injured or getting another suspension and ruin his livelihood out of spite? What his agent wants is irrelevant. Vincent Jackson hasn't got a pot to piss in relative to other top WRs at this point and its completely unrealistic to believe he is going to take a chance on missing out on a payday to get back at someone who had the audacity to not trade him. No one has any idea what the best case scenario is. Its not even written in stone that he will be a UFA next season.

So which do you guys think will last longer - VJax's prime or AJ Smith's career as a GM? I know AJ Smith will have more opportunities to negotiate contracts with players in future, probably hundreds of times. Right now he's showing he won't back down, which will serve him well in future deals, even if it hurts him on this one (though VJax is likely to be the proud recipient of the 2011 franchise tag). How does this help VJax, whose value will plummet if he continues to sit and will never have an opportunity to earn what he can right now? VJax doesn't have any power here.

So which do you guys think will last longer - VJax's prime or AJ Smith's career as a GM? I know AJ Smith will have more opportunities to negotiate contracts with players in future, probably hundreds of times. Right now he's showing he won't back down, which will serve him well in future deals, even if it hurts him on this one (though VJax is likely to be the proud recipient of the 2011 franchise tag). How does this help VJax, whose value will plummet if he continues to sit and will never have an opportunity to earn what he can right now? VJax doesn't have any power here.
You really think the chargers will franchise him at 9-10 million when they wouldnt pay him more than 3 million this year?

I don't know how you can't agree with what Vincent Jackson said after this went down, that: "They obviously think I'm a valuable player by asking for such high trade compensation, but why am I only offered tender salary?"

It's hypocritical. Yeah VJ made his own bed with the DUI, but if he's so valuable you have to hold out for a 2nd and 3rd, then you should be offering him more money than a 3 million dollar tender. It's going to be messy if this has to play out again this way next year if he's still a RFA, but that'll be overshadowed by other CBA related issues or a lockout.

The AJ defenders haven't changed much in time. They will defend everything he does and decry every player and coach that oppose him over contracts or authority. You would think after years of eveidence that prove AJ has misgiuded this team that eventually even hardened AJ defenders would have to relent to the evidence manufactured by years of failing to win, let alone failing to get to, a Super Bowl in spite superior talent and a division that can be won with an 8-8 record. Few could have srewed it up as bad as he has. Clearly his plan has failed.

Are you sure it will serve him well in future deals? If anything, I think other players are going to be very wary of wanting to come and play for SD now with the way AJ has handled some of the players and their contracts. Don't think that other players aren't taking notice of how this has taken place. And even if AJ Smith is in the right here (which I don't think he is), other players are going to be naturally biased on the player's end of this and not look favorably at all on Smith.

I don't know that it really helps Smith that much. VJ's agent said this is a statement to future players that "San Diego will sit on your kids rights." How eager are players going to be to get drafted by San Diego? How eager are free agents going to be to go play there now?

Very frustrating. They can find talent, but then chase it away.

[*]Should have signed Brees and then figured out a trade for him or Rivers.

[*]Should have signed/kept M. Turner and traded LT when there was still value for him.

[*]They're paying Sproles $8M this year, just to let him walk in 2011.

[*]I think they wasted picks jumping up to get Ry Matthews.

[*]VJax is not playing this year. Just gave away a 2nd round pick + another for a end-of-third compensatory.

I don't think this has any impact on future free agents. It is not going to prove to them that AJ is tough and will not put up with this, if they want to hold out they will. Likewise it will not deter people from signing there if that's where the money is.

:thumbup:
I don't know that it really helps Smith that much. VJ's agent said this is a statement to future players that "San Diego will sit on your kids rights." How eager are players going to be to get drafted by San Diego? How eager are free agents going to be to go play there now?
;) excellent point

Because the Chargers have 0% chance of ruining/ending their "career" with an injury this year. Apples and Oranges. You know this.

REAL MEN OF GENIUS
:moneybag: :yes: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
sigh

If it was possible, every free agent would demand that. Everybody would like more guaranteed money but no team is going to structure a deal like that especially for a guy with Jackson's history of off the field problems. If anything teams signing him are going to want to structure the deal with higher base salary and less guaranteed money. Why do you think the Vikings were demanding a conditional pick as part of the deal? They had serious doubts whether they would be able to sign him to a long term deal.Jackson's a good player but he's not an elite player by any stretch of the imagination. He's never had a year with 70 receptions or with 10 TD's.

Simply because the thread was about AJ Smith's decision making process and whether or not he benefit the Chargers by his decisions or not.....very simple Maurile.

REAL MEN OF GENIUS
:thumbup: :goodposting: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
sigh

If it was possible, every free agent would demand that. Everybody would like more guaranteed money but no team is going to structure a deal like that especially for a guy with Jackson's history of off the field problems. If anything teams signing him are going to want to structure the deal with higher base salary and less guaranteed money. Why do you think the Vikings were demanding a conditional pick as part of the deal? They had serious doubts whether they would be able to sign him to a long term deal.Jackson's a good player but he's not an elite player by any stretch of the imagination. He's never had a year with 70 receptions or with 10 TD's.
For agents and other teams intentionally structuring a contract so that the Chargers get as little as possible is counter-productive. Say the agents and the team that gets Jackson do this. What happens the next time a player for one of Jacksons Agents attempts to negotiate a contract or seek a trade? Will the Charger (or another team) be accommodating? What about the team that ends up with Jackson? Will they intentionally try to screw SD? Why would they? They have nothing to gain from other than losing a lower compensatory pick. If they do that what is the likelihood that their future dealings with SD are good for both teams? It just doesn't make long-term sense for the agents or whatever team ends up with Jackson.

Jackson's a good player but he's not an elite player by any stretch of the imagination. He's never had a year with 70 receptions or with 10 TD's.
Yes, he IS an elite player. He is easily one of the top WRs in the game...top 10, without a doubt. And while you are correct about those numbers, had the Chargers played week 17 to win last year, he likely would have hit both of those marks. He had 68-1,167-9 and did nothing in the week 17 throwaway game. All it takes is watching him play to know that he is elite.

If you can get a 2nd rounder and another pick and you decline it when the best that you can get is a 3rd (and that could potentially go away) then you took a loss. How is this even debatable? 

Users who are viewing this thread