What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

alex smith (1 Viewer)

Hoot&HoLLer

Footballguy
Former number 1 overall pick. Starting to understand the pro game. Has some very good weapons on offense. Still under 27 years old. Gotta love his upside. How come he doesn't get much love in dynasty?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked him up in the 5th round of our Rookie/FA draft. He's my 3rd string flyer QB after Brees and Stafford. I think he's finally "getting it." Singletary has been fairly complementary of him. Sounds like he's finally deciding to lead the team. With that said...

I just can't see him cracking the top ten in QBs this year or ever really... But I could see him in the 11-15 range. A solid bye week fill in and a decent emergency starter if your primary goes down. But not someone I'd target to be my #1.

But I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

I think he doesn't get much love in dynasty because he's proven nothing so far. Well...nothing good. He was also the first player taken so the expectations are/were tremendously high for him. The higher the expectations the more brutal the fall. He's never thrown for more that 3000 yards. He's thrown 5 more INTs in his career than TDs. And his career completion percentage is below 57%. Looking at those numbers and it's no wonder he's overlooked. But those numbers don't tell the whole story. His best season in terms of averages per game was this last season. Crabtree and Davis seem to be developing in to nice options to for him. And that offensive line is gonna be sick for the next 5 years at least. All point to him finally having some consistency and protection to help him do what he was drafted to do. Which is to be a good QB.

Like I said. I don't think he'll ever be a top 10 QB. But I think with Davis and Crabtree, that O-line, and Gore should allow him to be a 11-15 rated QB.

Just my thoughts...

Former number 1 overall pick. Starting to understand the pro game. Has some very good weapons on offense. Still under 27 years old. Gotta love his upside. How come he doesn't get much love in dynasty?
1. No job security = no stable Dynasty value. Alex Smith's contract is up after the season, and the Niners have given no indication that they will extend him before the season starts.2. Track record. It's brutal.3. He's brittle.4. He's yet to prove he can play effectively out of any formation but the shotgun.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. No job security = no stable Dynasty value. Alex Smith's contract is up after the season, and the Niners have given no indication that they will extend him before the season starts.2. Track record. It's brutal.3. He's brittle.4. He's yet to prove he can play effectively out of any formation but the shotgun.
Yet 49ers did not draft a QB at all this year. That has to mean something. Big vote of confidence in my book. This is big year for A. Smith. Rest of his NFL career will be based around what he does this year.

1. No job security = no stable Dynasty value. Alex Smith's contract is up after the season, and the Niners have given no indication that they will extend him before the season starts.2. Track record. It's brutal.

3. He's brittle.

4. He's yet to prove he can play effectively out of any formation but the shotgun.
Yet 49ers did not draft a QB at all this year. That has to mean something. Big vote of confidence in my book. This is big year for A. Smith. Rest of his NFL career will be based around what he does this year.
Exactly. You either think he's going to be good this year or not. I've seen no indications that would lead me to believe he'll be behind center for 16 games this year while leading the 49ers to the playoffs. The Bears didn't draft a QB when they kept showing confidence in Rex Grossman -- against all logic. It didn't mean he was bound for success.

1. No job security = no stable Dynasty value. Alex Smith's contract is up after the season, and the Niners have given no indication that they will extend him before the season starts.2. Track record. It's brutal.

3. He's brittle.

4. He's yet to prove he can play effectively out of any formation but the shotgun.
Exactly. You either think he's going to be good this year or not. I've seen no indications that would lead me to believe he'll be behind center for 16 games this year while leading the 49ers to the playoffs. The Bears didn't draft a QB when they kept showing confidence in Rex Grossman -- against all logic. It didn't mean he was bound for success.
:thumbup: 'sThis is Smith's last chance. If he doesn't step up this season he will go the way of his current backup, who I hope doesn't get the call if (I think when) Smith implodes. I think they have to give Nate Davis a shot if their season is lost come December.

they didn't draft a QB because they are grooming nate davis in case smith fails.

In dynasty, QB's outside of the top 10 typically aren't worth a whole lot. There's reason to like Smith, and target him...but unless you firmly believe he's going to become a perennial top ten QB, there is no reason to pay anything of real value for him.

For perspective....in one league I find myself with 3 decent starters and a prospect. Ive been trying for 4 months to get SOMEBODY to offer SOMETHING of value for Eli Manning...a safe, reliable low end QB1 with at least mid QB1 upside. I've had ZERO offers.

I doubt anyone at this point would rank Smith ahead of Manning.

I think a weak QB class is a big reason for that, not to mention a lot of other holes. They have nothing to lose by giving Smith a chance to prove himself this year. They also seem to be high on Nate Davis. I basically don't think not drafting a QB has anything to do with this, namely because the QB class was very weak.

As far as I'm concerned, #4 will determine Smith's future. I'm lukewarm on his long-term prospects, but I've also seen QBs develop late, so I would not be surprised if he turns into a solid starting QB. I just wouldn't count on it. Basically, he is probably a hold or a buy low if you like him a bit. His value is too low to trade in my opinion. If you own him and don't believe he has a future, sell high after a big game or 2, especially if it against a weak defense.

Anthony Borbely said:
I think a weak QB class is a big reason for that, not to mention a lot of other holes. They have nothing to lose by giving Smith a chance to prove himself this year. They also seem to be high on Nate Davis. I basically don't think not drafting a QB has anything to do with this, namely because the QB class was very weak.
Either that or they didn't like the value where they were picking, a lot of things could factor in. I personally think Jarrett Brown has as much talent as most of the QB's that were drafted. He's an excellent project/PS type of guy. Between him and Nate Davis, they have some talent. Up to the coaches to develop that talent.As for Smith, this is the 1st time with the same OC. He's got excellent weapons and a quality D to give him good field position and the ball back. I don't see how he fails. In a recent upstart, I decided not to draft a QB till the 9th round which was Chad Henne. I would have waited longer if I knew I could get Cassell, Smith, Freeman, Campbell and Tarvaris so cheaply later on. I took those guys anyways, usually a few QB's come out of no where. They are WW gems in redrafts, but put teams over the top in dynasty leagues. I like Smith probably almost as much as Henne now if it wasn't for job security questions. We'll see how the shotgun QB approach works this year

renesauz said:
In dynasty, QB's outside of the top 10 typically aren't worth a whole lot. There's reason to like Smith, and target him...but unless you firmly believe he's going to become a perennial top ten QB, there is no reason to pay anything of real value for him.For perspective....in one league I find myself with 3 decent starters and a prospect. Ive been trying for 4 months to get SOMEBODY to offer SOMETHING of value for Eli Manning...a safe, reliable low end QB1 with at least mid QB1 upside. I've had ZERO offers.I doubt anyone at this point would rank Smith ahead of Manning.
:link: I needed a QB in one league and only had to give up Orton, 2.03 & 2.07 for Eli.

Users who are viewing this thread