What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Am I on the verge of a mid-life crisis.. how do you deal? (1 Viewer)

Look, I'm going to be honest: If he doesn't enjoy teaching HS students I can guarantee you this - he will HATE dealing with people trying to photograph their weddings. Talk to anybody who has tried it as a hobby, it's torture.
I wonder if he might be OK with dealing with them on a single Sunday, and get paid the same as a month of teaching.

One day. 3-10 grand. Really easy to avoid the tax man if you feel like it.

Look, I'm going to be honest: If he doesn't enjoy teaching HS students I can guarantee you this - he will HATE dealing with people trying to photograph their weddings. Talk to anybody who has tried it as a hobby, it's torture.

Exactly.

I've done a few Senior Portrait Sessions and I've been a second shooter for a "wedding session" where the family did photos in their wedding attire, but not on the day, or at the venue. It just wasn't for me. I know it can be lucrative, but it just isn't what I want to do.

Photography is a really broad field. Dudes taking macro shots of bumble bees on a flower, sports photography (I've dabbled in), fine art, weddings. Those are all photography, but are only the "same thing" because they all involve a camera. It is sort of like saying that a school bus driver, a racecar driver and a semi-truck driver are all doing the same thing.

I appreciate everybody's thoughts so far, though. You've already given me a lot to consider.

If it were me I would definitely quit the teaching job at the end of the school year. You can always get back into teaching down the road if for whatever reason you miss it. Sounds like you're in a solid place financially so you'll have some time to see what happens without too much pressure. From now until the end of the school year you can be looking for opportunities that sound interesting. Doesn't have to be a job. Maybe just a social meet-up kind of thing. Something that changes your perspective a little and gets you moving out of the rut you're feeling. I'm sure leaving a job you've been in for 13 years would feel a bit scary but if you don't like it and don't want to do it there's really no point in staying in it.

I have ideas of starting my own photography business, trying to sell stuff at art shows, and/or supplementing that by doing Social Media stuff.
Why don't you try doing this as a side hustle initially. Maybe you fail. Maybe you end up hating it. But you learn if that's the case without risking your livelihood. And maybe it works out great. You also learn potentially useful stuff along the way - how to run a business, how to do online marketing, etc.

Also...I've found that at times in the past when I've felt unmotivated about my job, trying to do something on the side helps me feel enthusiastic about my overall work situation.
I like your thought process on this. GM is probably right, but you make some good points about additional benefits of pursuing this.

FYI: park $200K in a 12-month CD and it'll earn you $8K just sitting there at 4%. Shop around, you might find 5%. That's solid income for doing nothing!

No advice on your employment, but if I were you, I'd move somewhere that had some good hiking. Get out in nature. I can't emphasis enough how being out in nature is good for the soul. It dovetails nicely with photography. There's plenty of opportunities to meet up with fellow hikers if you desire. You can post your photos in facebook groups if for no other reason than to interact with a community of like minded people. Maybe get a dog to provide you with some companionship. Believe it or not, it sounds like you're in a solid place. Good luck brother.

No advice on your employment, but if I were you, I'd move somewhere that had some good hiking. Get out in nature. I can't emphasis enough how being out in nature is good for the soul. It dovetails nicely with photography. There's plenty of opportunities to meet up with fellow hikers if you desire. You can post your photos in facebook groups if for no other reason than to interact with a community of like minded people. Maybe get a dog to provide you with some companionship. Believe it or not, it sounds like you're in a solid place. Good luck brother.

Yeah, I need to do better about putting myself out there. Using photography as a vehicle for that, without looking at it as a way to make money is a good idea. There are a lot of people out there that are into it that I could connect with.

And, I do have friends, they just don't live near me. A few weeks ago 6 of us took a guys trip to Spring Training in Arizona and rented an Air BnB. So, I'm not friendless, just nobody physically near me (currently). We talk to each other all day via apps and stuff, so I am connected with them on a daily basis. But, in-person and online are very different obviously.

It sounds like you are in a pretty good place physically, financially and mentally. Incredible place to be. My first piece of advice is to remember not to let work define you … it is a means to an end. You need to figure out what the “end” is. You can go “all in” (sell everything and live in a van), or slow play a few hands (move across country, find some temp work and see how it goes).

Either way, you will still need to find that meaning. For many/most, this is people … sharing life with people. As our good buddy wikkid use to say “the give is the get”. Spend some time giving of yourself and you’ll be surprised how many people will be there to share your life with.

Whatever you do, keep looking after yourself. Take care …

You said you lost a lot of weight, was it through exercise? If it was and you enjoyed it maybe you could be a personal trainer or something like that. I don't know about Florida or in the Pacific northwest, but in Michigan it seems like every gym has a helped wanted ad looking for trainers.

You said you lost a lot of weight, was it through exercise? If it was and you enjoyed it maybe you could be a personal trainer or something like that. I don't know about Florida or in the Pacific northwest, but in Michigan it seems like every gym has a helped wanted ad looking for trainers.

Not a bad idea. But to be honest. While I absolutely loved the results, and on some level liked the post-workout rush - I'm perfectly happy not spending so much time in the gym anymore.

I lost the weight through diet and exercise. I am doing Nutrisystem. I was in the gym every day for about 6 months straight. I stopped going, simply because I felt like it was just taking up a lot of time and I had originally started going to lose weight, and once I had gotten down to a weight I was comfortable with, spending 90-120 minutes a night in the gym felt like it was just more of a time suck than anything else. Doing other things like photography had sort of taken a back seat, so as of now, I'm still following the diet but not working out.

When I was hitting the gym, I did some light weight work, but to be honest after going at it as hard as I did, one of the takeaways I had, was that guys who are really in shape/ripped, must be unbelievably dedicated and disciplined. I was really strict on my diet and exercise routine, and while my transformation was significant (I ran into a student that I had 2 years ago, just last week, and they literally didn't recognize me.) Going to the lengths to get like fitness magazine ripped, just isn't something I'm interested in attempting to do.

I did do some fitness stuff that for me personally was pretty cool, though. I ran a 5K for the first time in my life, for example. But at this point, I feel like when I'm sort of in this personal limbo, as long as I'm still using the time constructively, I can probably find a way to spend the time elsewhere.

It sounds like you are in a pretty good place physically, financially and mentally. Incredible place to be. My first piece of advice is to remember not to let work define you … it is a means to an end. You need to figure out what the “end” is. You can go “all in” (sell everything and live in a van), or slow play a few hands (move across country, find some temp work and see how it goes).

Either way, you will still need to find that meaning. For many/most, this is people … sharing life with people. As our good buddy wikkid use to say “the give is the get”. Spend some time giving of yourself and you’ll be surprised how many people will be there to share your life with.

Whatever you do, keep looking after yourself. Take care …

Great advice. Thanks. Anytime I come across anything from wikkid, I always make sure to take it to heart.

I turned 38 in February. I've been a HS teacher for about 13 years. I don't like it anymore. I don't want to teach anymore. The reasons are the typical ones you'd hear from a teacher that is ready to leave.
Is there any interest on your part in teaching English abroad? Have some property management rent your place (probably profitably) while you explore another culture (and their women). I'm sure you could find a nice gig doing that with your experience, but I'm unsure if what turned you off the profession would be a factor there.

You've got a lot of good advice in here, just wanted to throw that out there. Had some friends do similar at a younger age.

I turned 38 in February. I've been a HS teacher for about 13 years. I don't like it anymore. I don't want to teach anymore. The reasons are the typical ones you'd hear from a teacher that is ready to leave.
Is there any interest on your part in teaching English abroad? Have some property management rent your place (probably profitably) while you explore another culture (and their women). I'm sure you could find a nice gig doing that with your experience, but I'm unsure if what turned you off the profession would be a factor there.

You've got a lot of good advice in here, just wanted to throw that out there. Had some friends do similar at a younger age.

I've absolutely thought about it, and would consider it. I love to travel and see new places. So, if I could figure out how to make that work, its a possibility. I think right now, the best course of action, is to probably head home, even if it is just for a year or two, to sort of get my social connections back in order, but after that? Yeah, it's 100% on the table.

I've absolutely thought about it, and would consider it. I love to travel and see new places. So, if I could figure out how to make that work, its a possibility. I think right now, the best course of action, is to probably head home, even if it is just for a year or two, to sort of get my social connections back in order, but after that? Yeah, it's 100% on the table.
You should reach out to Shick! then. He's been in China for two years teaching advanced mathematics at an international school. Check out his blog, David in China.

You should reach out to Shick! then. He's been in China for two years teaching advanced mathematics at an international school. Check out his blog, David in China.
Wow, that is really cool.

And, Goldminer1, I believe there are different agencies out there. I'm on some email list for one that does a certification you'd need (I would, maybe not you with your experience).

I wouldn't make any huge changes right away. But I'd start making some smaller ones. Change the mindset on the teaching job now that you know it's not what you want to do long term - it's paying the bills for now, do the minimum there and start figuring out what you'd like to do next. I wouldn't go jobless at this point. Write down anything that seems remotely interesting to you and make some plans to try those things out on a limited basis, see what sticks. Then start figuring out if that's a viable vocation. Doing that may lead you in other directions that turn out to be even more interesting / promising.

well, that's ****ing awesome

Not a bad idea. But to be honest. While I absolutely loved the results, and on some level liked the post-workout rush - I'm perfectly happy not spending so much time in the gym anymore.

I lost the weight through diet and exercise. I am doing Nutrisystem. I was in the gym every day for about 6 months straight. I stopped going, simply because I felt like it was just taking up a lot of time and I had originally started going to lose weight, and once I had gotten down to a weight I was comfortable with, spending 90-120 minutes a night in the gym felt like it was just more of a time suck than anything else. Doing other things like photography had sort of taken a back seat, so as of now, I'm still following the diet but not working out.

When I was hitting the gym, I did some light weight work, but to be honest after going at it as hard as I did, one of the takeaways I had, was that guys who are really in shape/ripped, must be unbelievably dedicated and disciplined. I was really strict on my diet and exercise routine, and while my transformation was significant (I ran into a student that I had 2 years ago, just last week, and they literally didn't recognize me.) Going to the lengths to get like fitness magazine ripped, just isn't something I'm interested in attempting to do.

I did do some fitness stuff that for me personally was pretty cool, though. I ran a 5K for the first time in my life, for example. But at this point, I feel like when I'm sort of in this personal limbo, as long as I'm still using the time constructively, I can probably find a way to spend the time elsewhere.
You’re the perfect person to be a personal trainer to the fatties. It’s intimidating to have a super ripped dude who has never had a weight problem as a trainer when you weigh 300 lbs. But someone who used to be like you and now looks good? That’s perfect. It’s not intimidating and it’s motivating. I think it’s a great idea.

Yeah, I need to do better about putting myself out there. Using photography as a vehicle for that, without looking at it as a way to make money is a good idea. There are a lot of people out there that are into it that I could connect with.

And, I do have friends, they just don't live near me. A few weeks ago 6 of us took a guys trip to Spring Training in Arizona and rented an Air BnB. So, I'm not friendless, just nobody physically near me (currently). We talk to each other all day via apps and stuff, so I am connected with them on a daily basis. But, in-person and online are very different obviously.
I'm no expert here, but I'll excerpt an 85 year long Harvard study that researched happiness. The overall conclusion is that humans are intensely social and interactions with the people you love are what creates happiness. IMO, sell the place, move to be with your people, and go from there.

Or if you don't want that my nephew relocated to Sapporo to teach English. He seems to be enjoying it.

I'm no expert here, but I'll excerpt an 85 year long Harvard study that researched happiness. The overall conclusion is that humans are intensely social and interactions with the people you love are what creates happiness. IMO, sell the place, move to be with your people, and go from there.

Or if you don't want that my nephew relocated to Sapporo to teach English. He seems to be enjoying it.

Roseto Effect

Users who are viewing this thread