What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

An idea for a league (1 Viewer)

Dope

Footballguy
So I started a league with people I work with.

A pretty good group of guys in IT. Team owners run the gamut from Help Desk, sys admins, managers, all the way up to the CIO.

So, being that this is the 1st year, I had to recruit all these guys. Now that the season is underway and word is getting around, some people are asking why they didn't get asked.

So now, I basically have a waiting list.

So I was thinking...what if I did something like European Soccer does to keep teams interested all year long?

There are 3 divisions. Each team that comes in last in their division is booted out of the league...and a new owner takes their place next year.

Whatta ya think...good idea or bad idea?

(Also...since this idea is after the fact. I would have to put it up for a vote with the members of the league 1st)

i don't know about soccer, but what about adding a pickem or survivor pool for the rest of the season that as many people as wanted could join?

Not a fan of that idea, because what if the person who gets "booted" is the commish and nobody else wants to be bothered? Since it is a work league there may be enough natural turnover where you won't have to toss people out of your league.

How big is the league now? Is expansion an option?

I like it. If there is enough, have a 2nd league for people to be banished to.

Have anti-tanking rule and definition. You are tanking if... You will recieve a win and x points for any favorable determinations in the future...

12 man league.

There are 3 people who have already came up to me.

I'm the commish and if I got booted out, I'd still run it.

My 1st thought was a 2nd league. The problems there (not huge problems) are finding 12 more owners and trying to figure out if a week 17 "overall champion" game would be desirable. Plus who would commish (I guess I could do both)??

2nd thought was expansion. The problem with that is that some of the guys aren't exactly sharks. They aren't bad, but to make it a 16 team league might be too diluting of the talent pool.

That's what brought me to the "expulsion" idea. I'm just kicking it out in my head right now, but I thought I'd ask the shark pool, too.

I'm going to talk to a couple of the other owners to see what they think before I decide to bring it up officially.

If I am going to do this, I think I need to get the idea out there now before the season gets too old...otherwise it's not fair.

I was considering doing this for my 14 team league. I just didn't want to expand anymore and had 3 quality owners wanting to get in. A couple of the current owners are marginal so I presented this idea. Of course no one liked it... but magically those marginal owners have become model owners :wub:

I think you will have a tough time getting buyoff from current owners...

I was considering doing this for my 14 team league. I just didn't want to expand anymore and had 3 quality owners wanting to get in. A couple of the current owners are marginal so I presented this idea. Of course no one liked it... but magically those marginal owners have become model owners :goodposting:I think you will have a tough time getting buyoff from current owners...
I am going to ask a few right now (unofficially, of course).I am going to guess that the ones with a good team are going to say "sure" and the ones with a bad team will say "NO."Plus now that I think of it...don't I WANT to keep the bad owners? :cha-ching:

dsrm-we've be doing this for about 10 years. It's great. We have Premiership (top division) and Challengers. The top three from each league (we have playoffs) are in premiership + the next two top scoring teams. Challengers put on the draft party and it's there is great smack talk between the leagues. We've had side bets between owners drafting from the same position, which league scores the highest, and whatever else comes out from the draft. Why it works for us is we're all friends. I was commish for 3 years and did play in the bottom league. To problem at all....

dsrm-we've be doing this for about 10 years. It's great. We have Premiership (top division) and Challengers. The top three from each league (we have playoffs) are in premiership + the next two top scoring teams. Challengers put on the draft party and it's there is great smack talk between the leagues. We've had side bets between owners drafting from the same position, which league scores the highest, and whatever else comes out from the draft. Why it works for us is we're all friends. I was commish for 3 years and did play in the bottom league. To problem at all....
Cool.That's a pretty good way of doing it if I can get a 2nd league together for next year.I'm confused how you work it though (unless it's more than 2 leagues),Who stays in the Premier league and who moves up from the Challenger league? is it 6 stay and 6 go from each league?

12 man league.There are 3 people who have already came up to me. I'm the commish and if I got booted out, I'd still run it. My 1st thought was a 2nd league. The problems there (not huge problems) are finding 12 more owners and trying to figure out if a week 17 "overall champion" game would be desirable. Plus who would commish (I guess I could do both)??
We had 20 guys here at my office that were interested in getting in a league so we decided to set up two leagues of 10 teams each. I run one league, as I always have. Another guy stepped up to run his league. Since we use rtsports.com, we simply copied all the details from my league to his so that all rules remain the same between the two leagues. We moved up the playoffs in each league to run from Week 13 to Week 15. Week 16 is the overall company champion. People are digging it so far. :goodposting:Edit to add: rtsports allows you to take the League Number from one league and reference that when setting up another league. So the rule copying and setup was just a button click. Very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
dsrm said:
Angrymutt said:
Cool.That's a pretty good way of doing it if I can get a 2nd league together for next year.I'm confused how you work it though (unless it's more than 2 leagues),Who stays in the Premier league and who moves up from the Challenger league? is it 6 stay and 6 go from each league?
We have two 8 team leagues. You could add more and have more stay each year in premier. Maybe move the bottom 3 from the top league and move the top 3 from the other up.

I'm in a few "super-leagues" where it works similar to soccer - the better teams move to the top league, etc. It's very cool, though obviously somewhat tough first year since you don't know who is in the top league :lmao:

keeping the same group around is fun. I would see how many owners currently in the league would want to be in another league. I bet you would have a lot say yes to two leagues. To keep both leagues interesting change up the type of league. Make one an auction and one a redraft. Or dynasty or keeper league with the other league a redraft. I currently run two leagues and one is a redraft and one is an auction with a keeper. We bring in new owners if their is open spots into the redraft and the more expierenced owners are in the auction. Amazing how different the two leagues are and are very fun. we have around 6-8 owners in both leagues at a time.

European Soccer kicks teams out of the league?
European pro soccer leagues (most countries have their own league) all have several divisions (ie, division 1, 2, 3 etc.). Typically the bottom couple teams from each division are "relegated" to the division below for the next season and the top couple teams move up. Provides for exciting matches for the bottom teams towards the end of the season cause teams make more money if they are in the top divisions. Big incentive. Every match means something.... neat idea to apply it to fantasy football.

keeping the same group around is fun. I would see how many owners currently in the league would want to be in another league. I bet you would have a lot say yes to two leagues. To keep both leagues interesting change up the type of league. Make one an auction and one a redraft. Or dynasty or keeper league with the other league a redraft. I currently run two leagues and one is a redraft and one is an auction with a keeper. We bring in new owners if their is open spots into the redraft and the more expierenced owners are in the auction. Amazing how different the two leagues are and are very fun. we have around 6-8 owners in both leagues at a time.
The only way this would work is to have a blind bidding on similar players between a team moving up or down to a league. This is a great idea and great fun. Footy if a passion, football is a past time.

The only way this would work is to have a blind bidding on similar players between a team moving up or down to a league. This is a great idea and great fun. Footy if a passion, football is a past time.
typical gibrish from the mutt - but he's right. Do two leagues with relegation, and if an owner drops out invite someone new in the "B" league.

typical gibrish from the mutt - but he's right. Do two leagues with relegation, and if an owner drops out invite someone new in the "B" league.
scribblescrabble :P

Users who are viewing this thread