What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

And so it begins: Colts hint at limiting their starters (1 Viewer)

Horrible matchup for the Colts this week vs NYJ anyway. Jets are very well suited to give Indy fits. This might be a blessing in disguise for Colts owners who needed an excuse to bench a stud.
Couldn't the same be said about the Jets? The Colts are a nasty matchup for the Jets. The Jets D hasn't seen much of this kind of offense this year. Brady and Brees is about it. But this is Indy in Indy. And Peyton sliced up the #2 D against the pass (Denver), handing them over 25% of their passing TD's given up for the year with 4.
exactly. Peyton wants it and is on fire right now
Oh. Well if Peyton wants it, then I guess that's all the matters.Unless of course, the Jets defense really really wants it.
:bag: I meant the 16-0.
Peyton may want the 16-0, but the Jets want to make the playoffs. Peyton hasn't faced a pass D as good as the Jets this year, or a #1 corner quite like Revis.

No way colts rest players, unless it's a blow out. 1) Colts going for history2) Playoff failures in the past have been blamed on too much rest3) Colts do have an off week with the bye, so there is time to rest players4) Momentum going into the playoffs is important, therefore no reason to slow this train downSo given the above, if I have Manning, Wayne or Clark = must start unless i have much BETTER options
I don't think #2 is true, and i'm positive #4 isn't true.
I think #2 has gotten a lot of press and definitely been a point of contention, at least as far as writers/announcers are concerned. So I think it's more "true" than not as the OP worded it.

No way colts rest players, unless it's a blow out. 1) Colts going for history2) Playoff failures in the past have been blamed on too much rest3) Colts do have an off week with the bye, so there is time to rest players4) Momentum going into the playoffs is important, therefore no reason to slow this train downSo given the above, if I have Manning, Wayne or Clark = must start unless i have much BETTER options
Not a single champion this decade has rested healthy starters in week 17, even those for whom week 17 was meaningless. I imagine that very few conference champions have rested healthy starters either.The only Super Bowl losers to rest in week 17 are the 2001 Steelers, 2005 Seahawks, 2006 BearsNone of the champions and most of the runner ups did not rest healthy starters in week 17 As to #2, Indy definitely caught a ton of crap when they rested players in 2005, and ultimately got beat in Indy by Pitt As to # 4, again 2005 Steelers, not a GREAT team, caught fire and won it all in 2005 (won the last 4, all must wins to sneak in as # 6 seed)2008 Steelers, again Pitt caught fire and ran the table (6 of their final 7 games)I think the above are just a few examples of #2 and #4, and that's only the last few years.

No way colts rest players, unless it's a blow out.

1) Colts going for history

2) Playoff failures in the past have been blamed on too much rest

3) Colts do have an off week with the bye, so there is time to rest players

4) Momentum going into the playoffs is important, therefore no reason to slow this train down

So given the above, if I have Manning, Wayne or Clark = must start unless i have much BETTER options
I guess this guy knows more thn Jim Caldwell does
I am going off recent history and Caldwell did say "for a guy to be excluded from the game, it will be a health issue".??? Don't really get your comment, he flat out said he is not resting HEALTHY players.

Not a single champion this decade has rested healthy starters in week 17, even those for whom week 17 was meaningless. I imagine that very few conference champions have rested healthy starters either.The only Super Bowl losers to rest in week 17 are the 2001 Steelers, 2005 Seahawks, 2006 BearsNone of the champions and most of the runner ups did not rest healthy starters in week 17 As to #2, Indy definitely caught a ton of crap when they rested players in 2005, and ultimately got beat in Indy by Pitt As to # 4, again 2005 Steelers, not a GREAT team, caught fire and won it all in 2005 (won the last 4, all must wins to sneak in as # 6 seed)2008 Steelers, again Pitt caught fire and ran the table (6 of their final 7 games)I think the above are just a few examples of #2 and #4, and that's only the last few years.
:lmao: I'll be shocked if Indy hasn't learned their lesson on this. Personally, I think if they remove healthy starters from a game that isn't a complete blowout in either of these next 2 weeks, the Colts can be completely written off as SB contenders.There are all kinds of ways to prepare for the playoffs, but taking a 3-week mental break from everything that goes into trying to win football games isn't one of them. You don't prepare for a series "do-or-die" games with 2 weeks of a "winning would be cool, but it's not too important" mindset (followed by an entire week off).

4) Momentum going into the playoffs is important, therefore no reason to slow this train down

So given the above, if I have Manning, Wayne or Clark = must start unless i have much BETTER options
Not a single champion this decade has rested healthy starters in week 17, even those for whom week 17 was meaningless. I imagine that very few conference champions have rested healthy starters either.The only Super Bowl losers to rest in week 17 are the 2001 Steelers, 2005 Seahawks, 2006 Bears

None of the champions and most of the runner ups did not rest healthy starters in week 17

As to #2, Indy definitely caught a ton of crap when they rested players in 2005, and ultimately got beat in Indy by Pitt

As to # 4, again 2005 Steelers, not a GREAT team, caught fire and won it all in 2005 (won the last 4, all must wins to sneak in as # 6 seed)

2008 Steelers, again Pitt caught fire and ran the table (6 of their final 7 games)

I think the above are just a few examples of #2 and #4, and that's only the last few years.
:lmao: I'll be shocked if Indy hasn't learned their lesson on this.

Personally, I think if they remove healthy starters from a game that isn't a complete blowout in either of these next 2 weeks, the Colts can be completely written off as SB contenders.

There are all kinds of ways to prepare for the playoffs, but taking a 3-week mental break from everything that goes into trying to win football games isn't one of them. You don't prepare for a series "do-or-die" games with 2 weeks of a "winning would be cool, but it's not too important" mindset (followed by an entire week off).
Great posts. Momentum and game shape (mental as much as physical) are huge components to playoff success.So assuming that Peyton and the boys do play most, if not all, of the game then it comes down to the matchup of this year's best Running Game and Defense vs the best QB of all time at home who is shooting for an undefeated mark that he clearly cares about.

I'll take the QB unless the Jets D really is special and plays the game of their lives and are able to combine that with an effective ball control offense. In other words, Sanchise has gotta stop turning it over. He really becomes an X-factor to this game in that respect.

Going against Manning/Clark in the title game. I have Wayne. Defnitely scared of Revis and Sanchez. Could be my undoing in this matchup.

Play your Colts.....play your best players...you will regret it more if they play and play well then taking a huge risk with other players who may give you half the points.

I am starting Manning, Wayne and Clark.....no question.

They are playing for the undefeated season and Manning is on fire. The Jets are going to bring it and the Colts are not backing down.

Just my .02 cents

Yeah, LawFitz, I've got Wayne too and I'm much more worried about Revis than I am about any rest.

Peyton will take what the defense gives him all day long. I can't imagine whoever Revis covering is very high on the list of what the defense is "giving him".

I expect big days from Clark and Garcon and me losing $600.

Yeah, LawFitz, I've got Wayne too and I'm much more worried about Revis than I am about any rest.Peyton will take what the defense gives him all day long. I can't imagine whoever Revis covering is very high on the list of what the defense is "giving him".I expect big days from Clark and Garcon and me losing $600.
I think Wayne owners should be the only ones considering benching their player and that's only if there's a viable option to plug in. Revis is a stud and unlike Nnamdi they do lock him on to certain WRs during games. That will most certainly be Wayne.That said, benching studs always involves peril. The heartache of a stud going off on the bench and costing a victory is much worse to me (and others I think) than starting him and having him put up a dud to cost victory. It's psychological and really shouldn't be that way, but it is.

:moneybag: I meant the 16-0.
Peyton may want the 16-0, but the Jets want to make the playoffs. Peyton hasn't faced a pass D as good as the Jets this year, or a #1 corner quite like Revis.
Maybe there should be a NYJ vs Indy thread for :IBTL: opinions and feelings. We're getting off topic.
Chase is rock solid, unbiased and completely professional about all things non-Jet related. Be nice. ;)

I have Finley to backup Clark.

Driving me crazy trying to decide who to play. I expect Clark will have a good day if he gets a full game.

Bill Polians comments today from Colts site:

Q: Can you just discuss the Colts' approach to the final two weeks, particularly Sunday's game against the New York Jets?

A: You do want to win every time you take the field. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about how to approach it and how we should approach it. Every time you go out on the field you want to win, whether it's a scrimmage, whether it's a preseason game, whether it's a regular season game. Whether it has meaning in the standings or not, you always want to win. Everybody plays to win. We've done that on numerous occasions in the past, most notably a couple of years ago against Arizona here in a very exciting finish. That part of it is a given, and people should not think that no matter who is playing that we don't care about winning the game. We do, greatly. In professional football and professional athletics of any kind, if you're going to play, you better go out there and give it 100 percent. Otherwise, you run a very, very serious risk of injury. So, whoever is going to play has to be ready to go 100 percent physically and emotionally. Now, that said, we have issues that have to be determined and that are yet to be determined as to who can play and who can't physically. Because of the situation where the game doesn't count in the standings, you then apply a different medical barometer than you would if the game had playoff implications. Basically, players who have been playing hurt who can use the rest get the rest. I don't think it will go much beyond that. That's our only concern. Everybody else has to get ready to play and go 100 percent, and we want to win the game.

Q: Does the Jets' playoff situation change anything about your thinking?

A: No. It does not. Whatever our opponents' concerns are are their concerns. We're concerned with our own ballclub. That's our only concern throughout the year and that's all it has to be. We've earned the right to be in the position we're in, and that's all there is to it.

Q: And while 16-0 would look great, a Super Bowl trophy would look better.

A: Yes. Sixteen and oh is not a goal. It's not something that anyone here starts the year saying, 'We want to be 16-0.' We realize in many cases – in the vast majority of the cases – it's unrealistic. It has been done before. In terms of records, I think we've set every record that we can this season. It has been wonderful. It's great and it ought to be celebrated. But 16-0 is not an issue for us. I've said many times before, 'It's perfectly fine for fans and for media and others to have their issues and view the world as they view it.' That's what makes the world go around. It's fun. People talk about it, and that's a good thing. But our issues are not necessarily other people's issues, and 16-0 is not our issue.

Q: Do individual goals come into play?

A: Very peripherally. Most of what was achievable we achieved Thursday night. I don't think (WR) Reggie (Wayne)'s thing is realistic to be truthful with you. (Tight end) Dallas (Clark), you would hope he would get the three yards (receiving) somewhere along the line. The 11 catches to 100 is probably pretty tough to get. It has been a phenomenal year for Dallas no matter how you slice it. I don't think there's anything else out there that would be of any great consequence.

Q: Quarterback Peyton Manning needs 160 yards passing to get to 50,000 for his career.

A: He'll get that at some point. There's nothing pressing in these next two games. That's not a seasonal issue. It's an issue for the long term. He'll get 160 yards somewhere.

Q: Do you prepare any differently for these final two games?

A: Not one iota. (Former Head Coach) Tony (Dungy) coined the phrase, 'Just do what we do.' We live by that. We're going to continue to practice exactly the way we practiced all season. We're going to continue to prepare the way we've prepared all season. We'll continue to structure the roster the way we have all season. Nothing will change in that regard, and nothing will change in the way we play the game. The only thing is if people aren't healthy, they won't play. It's that simple.

Q: Regarding Curtis Painter, the backup quarterback, if you were going to play him in a game, how early would you tell him?

A: You'd tell him no later than Friday. (Colts Head Coach) Jim (Caldwell) might give him a heads up and say, 'Be ready,' but he's the backup quarterback now, so he has to be ready anyway. It's not like he's No. 3. Jim Sorgi's down. Curtis has to be ready, period.

Great read on Polian here. Unfortunately, it seemed like for every indication he gave that the healthy regulars wouldn't sit out, he'd turn around and hint that they might.

Excuse my ignorance, but when is Reggie Wayne's thing? Maybe leading the league in receiving yards, as it looks like Johnson has that locked up?

Revis vs Wayne... but will it be that straight forward? R Ryan had Revis and the Jets DB's in zone coverage a fair amount against Atlanta, which surprised me. Revis may not draw man coverage on Wayne exclusively in this game.

Granted, the Colts have many more weapons than the Falcons do, but M Jenkins is dangerous, and they have Gonzo. Will Ryan play more nickel against the Colts, and more zone? He knows Clark can't be covered by an LB, and I think Gonzo was the reason the Jets used some zone last week. White was defensed by J Leonard on several occassions. Revis was elsewhere for a good number of plays.

I think the Colts will stick with their starters, unless they get a big lead, and I just don't see that happening, unless Sanchez repeatedly turns the ball over, and I would not rule that possibility out. He's a turnover machine.

Before the ATL TD on Sunday, the Jets D had gone over 30 possessions without giving up a TD, even with Sanchez' propensity to turn the ball over (noting that Clemens played in week 14 with no turnovers).

The Jets D has given up the fewest points in the NFL. The fewest passing yards. The fewest total yards. They are even 11th in fewest rushing yards. This is not the Denver defense. It's better than that. I'd say significantly better.

This is a very dicey matchup, made even worse with the possibility of some Colts getting rested. With Sorgi done, I wonder if the Colts would like to get Painter some time... I think that would be the smart thing to do here. Manning never gets hurt, but wouldn't it make sense to give Painter some snaps in a game like this?

zDragon said:
I have Finley to backup Clark. Driving me crazy trying to decide who to play. I expect Clark will have a good day if he gets a full game.
I have both and am going with Clark, my decision is made easier with my opponent starting Manning. Would be kicking my self if Peyton ends up tossing a few TDs to Clark while he sits on my bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revis vs Wayne... but will it be that straight forward? R Ryan had Revis and the Jets DB's in zone coverage a fair amount against Atlanta, which surprised me. Revis may not draw man coverage on Wayne exclusively in this game. Granted, the Colts have many more weapons than the Falcons do, but M Jenkins is dangerous, and they have Gonzo. Will Ryan play more nickel against the Colts, and more zone? He knows Clark can't be covered by an LB, and I think Gonzo was the reason the Jets used some zone last week. White was defensed by J Leonard on several occassions. Revis was elsewhere for a good number of plays.I think the Colts will stick with their starters, unless they get a big lead, and I just don't see that happening, unless Sanchez repeatedly turns the ball over, and I would not rule that possibility out. He's a turnover machine. Before the ATL TD on Sunday, the Jets D had gone over 30 possessions without giving up a TD, even with Sanchez' propensity to turn the ball over (noting that Clemens played in week 14 with no turnovers). The Jets D has given up the fewest points in the NFL. The fewest passing yards. The fewest total yards. They are even 11th in fewest rushing yards. This is not the Denver defense. It's better than that. I'd say significantly better. This is a very dicey matchup, made even worse with the possibility of some Colts getting rested. With Sorgi done, I wonder if the Colts would like to get Painter some time... I think that would be the smart thing to do here. Manning never gets hurt, but wouldn't it make sense to give Painter some snaps in a game like this?
The last paragraph isn't consistent with the rest of what you typed. Why would this be such a great game for Painter to get reps in instead of week 17? You're really talking up that Jets Defense against Indy. I'm interested to see if they're as good against the Colts as they have been against everyone else.

Ralph Furley said:

I'm in about 85% agreement with the bolded, and am starting Peyton with relative confidence.I'm playing Wayne, so hopefully Revis shuts him down, allowing others to benefit from peyton bombs.

Ralph Furley said:
rvmblack said:
Ralph Furley said:

I guess this guy knows more thn Jim Caldwell does
I am going off recent history and Caldwell did say "for a guy to be excluded from the game, it will be a health issue".??? Don't really get your comment, he flat out said he is not resting HEALTHY players.
Not exactly, and that's OP's point.He said players with health issues WOULD be excluded. He DIDN'T say whether or not healthy players might have their pt limited.

Revis vs Wayne... but will it be that straight forward? R Ryan had Revis and the Jets DB's in zone coverage a fair amount against Atlanta, which surprised me. Revis may not draw man coverage on Wayne exclusively in this game. Granted, the Colts have many more weapons than the Falcons do, but M Jenkins is dangerous, and they have Gonzo. Will Ryan play more nickel against the Colts, and more zone? He knows Clark can't be covered by an LB, and I think Gonzo was the reason the Jets used some zone last week. White was defensed by J Leonard on several occassions. Revis was elsewhere for a good number of plays.I think the Colts will stick with their starters, unless they get a big lead, and I just don't see that happening, unless Sanchez repeatedly turns the ball over, and I would not rule that possibility out. He's a turnover machine. Before the ATL TD on Sunday, the Jets D had gone over 30 possessions without giving up a TD, even with Sanchez' propensity to turn the ball over (noting that Clemens played in week 14 with no turnovers). The Jets D has given up the fewest points in the NFL. The fewest passing yards. The fewest total yards. They are even 11th in fewest rushing yards. This is not the Denver defense. It's better than that. I'd say significantly better. This is a very dicey matchup, made even worse with the possibility of some Colts getting rested. With Sorgi done, I wonder if the Colts would like to get Painter some time... I think that would be the smart thing to do here. Manning never gets hurt, but wouldn't it make sense to give Painter some snaps in a game like this?
The last paragraph isn't consistent with the rest of what you typed. Why would this be such a great game for Painter to get reps in instead of week 17? You're really talking up that Jets Defense against Indy. I'm interested to see if they're as good against the Colts as they have been against everyone else.
Not really. The Colts have always had Sorgi, and they always knew he could come in and manage a game if need be. Painter... just how many NFL snaps has he taken? If Sorgi was still available, I would not even mention it. I just mention that Painter IMO could use some PT not only this week, but next week too. This is entirely a different issue... it's not about resting Manning, but getting Painter some NFL time that he would need, should Manning ever get hurt. Manning is nearly indestructable, but if I'm the HC, I'd like to get my backup QB some snaps with my ones if I could. Obviously, I have no clue as to what the Indy CS thinks about this. Talking up the Jets defense? Why because I stated some statistical data on where the defense is ranked in the NFL? The Jets did play NO back in week 4. Brees went 20 for 32 and 192 yards, no TD's. The Saints offense didn't put up a TD until the 4th quarter. The Saints offense scored 10 points in that game. NO isn't some weak sister. These are just facts... I'm not "talking up" anything. The Colts may light the Jets up, but I seriously doubt that happens. you seem to think that it is quite possible, even probable? Based on what?Nothing inconsistant with the notion that a player like Painter could use some snaps in a game that means nothing to the Colts, other than the unbeaten streak. Makes perfect sense to me to give him some playing time, but that is pure conjecture on my part.

Sounds smart and reasonable.

Vegas says the Colts are a 5.5 point favorite, O/U of 40.5. So Vegas is predicting a 23 points for the Colts. Since September, the Colts average point projection by Vegas has been 25.9; the only game during that stretch where Vegas projected the Colts at 23 or under was against the Ravens, where they won 17-15. The lowest the Colts have been projected to score at home was 24.5, against NE.

I think 23 is a reasonable projection, although maybe a little high. The Colts have been held under 23 four times; the Jets have allowed over 23 five times, but two of those games were against Miami (3 D/ST TDs for Miami) and NO (2 D TDs for NO, 24 points total). The Jets have allowed only 17 offensive touchdowns in 14 games.

Vegas says the Colts are a 5.5 point favorite, O/U of 40.5. So Vegas is predicting a 23 points for the Colts. Since September, the Colts average point projection by Vegas has been 25.9; the only game during that stretch where Vegas projected the Colts at 23 or under was against the Ravens, where they won 17-15. The lowest the Colts have been projected to score at home was 24.5, against NE.

I think 23 is a reasonable projection, although maybe a little high. The Colts have been held under 23 four times; the Jets have allowed over 23 five times, but two of those games were against Miami (3 D/ST TDs for Miami) and NO (2 D TDs for NO, 24 points total). The Jets have allowed only 17 offensive touchdowns in 14 games.
...and they scored 35. If we follow that logic, the Colts should only put up 33. The Jets have allowed 24, 31 and 31 points to the last 3 teams .500 or above on the road - the only exception is Week 1 @ Houston. This game is being played in Indy.

zDragon said:
I have Finley to backup Clark. Driving me crazy trying to decide who to play. I expect Clark will have a good day if he gets a full game.
I have both and am going with Clark, my decision is made easier with my opponent starting Manning. Would be kicking my self if Peyton ends up tossing a few TDs to Clark while he sits on my bench.
You gotta love Finley's matchup.

...and they scored 35. If we follow that logic, the Colts should only put up 33. The Jets have allowed 24, 31 and 31 points to the last 3 teams .500 or above on the road - the only exception is Week 1 @ Houston. This game is being played in Indy.
But how have the opposing QB's done?Player Team Week Result Cmp Att Yard/TD INT Rush.Att Yard TD

Matt Schaub HOU 1 W 24-7 (a) 18 33 166 0 1 1 6 0

Drew Brees NO 4 L 10-24 (a) 20 32 190 0 0 3 5 0

Chad Henne MIA 5 L 27-31 (a) 20 26 241 2 0 0 0 0

Bruce Gradkowski OAK 7 W 38-0 (a) 10 19 97 0 0 2 25 0

JaMarcus Russell OAK 7 W 38-0 (a) 6 11 61 0 2 0 0 0

Tom Brady NE 11 L 14-31 (a) 28 41 310 1 0 4 9 0

Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF 13 W 19-13 (a) 9 23 98 0 1 5 32 0

Josh Freeman TB 14 W 26-3 (a) 14 33 93 0 3 4 21 0

Wha am I gona do...start Cotchery and Todd Heap? I'll roll the dice with whateverI can get with Wayne/Clark who got m to the finals!

If Colts pull Addai, I think they would pull Manning for pass protection reasons.

Donald Brown just got back and might get some carries, but I doubt they will let him carry the load with Addai in there.

Outside of Colts starters playing, the Jets have one of, if not the, best defenses in the league.

i think it is BS. Peyton doesnt want to tip his hand. BTW, Peyton is the real coach. Yes, players that are banged up like Garcon will not play. But the rest, they will play. NOW, if they are getting beat bad or winning big at half they will come out. but these guys will play. this is a very good test for them. imagine peyton saying all the mvp's he got, stats, superbowls, playoff wins and now maybe an undefeated season. i'll believe they pull them when i see it.

with Revis on Wayne, who's going to step up to Garcon/Collie and ultimately Clark?

I have ridden Clark all year, and will ride him this weekend, as his possible half a game could be better than a full game from WW TE's like Marcedes Lewis, Watson and others

I wrote this in another thread but maybe it should be in here.

I see people with a lot of POV on the Colts and whether they should play them this week or not, folks the reason to bench the Colts this week has nothing to do with them starting and finishing, that is simply icing on the cake. Let's dissect the Jets defense and why the Colts are going to fail miserably this week.

1. QB-Now the Jets have played a who's who of bad QBs this year that will skew the numbers a bit for many. But outside of Tom Brady throwing for 300 and a TD a few weeks back, no other QB has crossed 250 yds passing against the Jets. In fact only 2 other QBs threw for 200+ yds all season and that was Chadd Henne in week 5, and David Garrard a couple weeks ago. Henne is the only QB to throw for 2 TDs in 1 game. All other games this year they have either held the opposing QB to zero or 1 TD. Now some of these QBs include Fitz/Edwards, Gradkowski/Russell, Jake Delhomme, Josh Freeman, but there is also names like Schaub, Matt Ryan, and Drew Brees.

I don't like the match up although Manning is capable of burning any defense in any era.

2. RB-I don't think you would have to twist Addai owners arms all that hard to get them to sit Addai so I won't spend a lot of time there, but the Jets have been great against the run, only MJD did any real damage to them.

3. WR-Welker went 15/192 one game but outside of that, seriously most WRs end up with about 30-60 yds most weeks and as I said only Miami has thrown for 2 TDs in a game all season so you won't find many cheap TDs to be had here.

4. TE-I love Dallas Clark but if you have another option like Finley from GB for example, this might be the week to get him into your starting line up. No TE has more than 4 receptions all season, not a single one. 2 TEs, both from the Miami Dolphins and the last second heroics of Tony Gonzalez last week are the only TDs for TEs all year.

I know Indy is way better than a lot of teams the Jets faced this year but the match up for the Colts is not juicy. I actually will go out on a limb and even predict that the Jets will win this Sunday and put an end to the unbeaten streak for the Colts with the final score being 20-17 in what will be a very frustrating day for Indy fans and FF owners who roll with them this week.

Statistically, I find it hard to want to play Indy, throw in the red herrings of how long they play for and I expect a lot of tears come Sunday Night.

Ralph Furley said:
I am going off recent history and Caldwell did say "for a guy to be excluded from the game, it will be a health issue".

??? Don't really get your comment, he flat out said he is not resting HEALTHY players.
Did you read the original post? He then said: "I could not tell you exactly...whether a guy is going to play one series or the entire game."The reality is unless Bill Polian, Caldwell, or Manning is posting in this thread under an alias, no one here really knows has the answers. I would say the overriding theme to what the Colts have said (note: that doesn't mean it's what they'll do) is that they are focused on a Superbowl rather than going undefeated. In the past they believed resting players was the best approach to prepping for the playoffs. People outside of the organization have been critical of that approach, but it remains to be seen if the people that actually get to make the decisions have changed their minds.

In the end I think it's a risk/reward decision that is specific to each person's roster and the caliber of his opponent's team. IMHO I would start Clark with the most confidence--as others have said, a half from him is a safer bet than most other TEs out there. Next I would say Manning has the least risk--he's capable of putting up nice stats in a half, especially if he knows he only has a half to play. Addai seems very risky to me--his production isn't exactly rock-solid this year, he plays a tough D, and they will desperately need him in the playoffs...I would not be at all surprised to see Brown in the game early and often with Addai completely exiting the game at some point. Wayne scares the bejeezus out of me because even if he plays the whole game, he sees a ton of Revis who has shut down virtually everyone. I'd value Garcon (assuming he's healthy enough to play) and Collie about the same as any other week--they get a bump up because they could see increased targets in this game, but they also get a huge bump down if Peyton leaves the game at some point.

Indy's had a week and a half to prepare for the Jets in their dome. NY is coming off a crushing loss where their coach after the game verbalized that they were out of the playoffs.

Ralph Furley said:
I am going off recent history and Caldwell did say "for a guy to be excluded from the game, it will be a health issue".

??? Don't really get your comment, he flat out said he is not resting HEALTHY players.
Did you read the original post? He then said: "I could not tell you exactly...whether a guy is going to play one series or the entire game."The reality is unless Bill Polian, Caldwell, or Manning is posting in this thread under an alias, no one here really knows has the answers. I would say the overriding theme to what the Colts have said (note: that doesn't mean it's what they'll do) is that they are focused on a Superbowl rather than going undefeated. In the past they believed resting players was the best approach to prepping for the playoffs. People outside of the organization have been critical of that approach, but it remains to be seen if the people that actually get to make the decisions have changed their minds.

In the end I think it's a risk/reward decision that is specific to each person's roster and the caliber of his opponent's team. IMHO I would start Clark with the most confidence--as others have said, a half from him is a safer bet than most other TEs out there. Next I would say Manning has the least risk--he's capable of putting up nice stats in a half, especially if he knows he only has a half to play. Addai seems very risky to me--his production isn't exactly rock-solid this year, he plays a tough D, and they will desperately need him in the playoffs...I would not be at all surprised to see Brown in the game early and often with Addai completely exiting the game at some point. Wayne scares the bejeezus out of me because even if he plays the whole game, he sees a ton of Revis who has shut down virtually everyone. I'd value Garcon (assuming he's healthy enough to play) and Collie about the same as any other week--they get a bump up because they could see increased targets in this game, but they also get a huge bump down if Peyton leaves the game at some point.
You guys are focusing on the wrong thing this week, IMHO

Indy's had a week and a half to prepare for the Jets in their dome. NY is coming off a crushing loss where their coach after the game verbalized that they were out of the playoffs.
What are you saying?
I think he's suggesting that the Jets should be more worried about the Colts' offense than the Colts should be about the Jets' defense.And I tend to agree -- unless Caldwell provides more of a hint that he'll be pulling starters prematurely.

Restricted said:
I'm Wayne - Opponent's Manning and Clark.I think I am going to bench Wayne. 1) Possible not full playing time. 2) RevisMy bench is thin, but I think I can find a more productive starter for this game. Go Rest Colts!!!
this. luckily i might have one of the deepest team in history, so its not a big deal. subbing in jennings (prolly) or MSW

purestrength said:
Ministry of Pain said:
scrumptrulescent said:
What are you saying?
I think he's suggesting that the Jets should be more worried about the Colts' offense than the Colts should be about the Jets' defense.
Yes. There seems to be many lining up to make a case for the Jets D versus the Colts. Not as many talking about the Colts offense being a mismatch for the Jets D. And the fact that it's on the Indy carpet makes the Colts much more dangerous.And with the way Ryan reacted to the Atlanta game, I wonder where the Jets' collective heads are at. How will they come out against the Colts? (Flat? Motivated?)

purestrength said:
Ministry of Pain said:
scrumptrulescent said:
What are you saying?
I think he's suggesting that the Jets should be more worried about the Colts' offense than the Colts should be about the Jets' defense.
Yes. There seems to be many lining up to make a case for the Jets D versus the Colts. Not as many talking about the Colts offense being a mismatch for the Jets D. And the fact that it's on the Indy carpet makes the Colts much more dangerous.And with the way Ryan reacted to the Atlanta game, I wonder where the Jets' collective heads are at. How will they come out against the Colts? (Flat? Motivated?)
So how many Colts are you starting this weekend?

purestrength said:
Ministry of Pain said:
scrumptrulescent said:
What are you saying?
I'd imagine the Jets are very motivated since on Sunday night they thought they were all done and then realized on Monday that they are still very much alive.Personally, I have Manning in one championship and am sitting him for either Campbell or VY.I have Wayne in another and am sitting him and flexing in Beanie Wells.I don't have Clark in any leagues but if I did I'd probably still play him just because tight ends are tougher to have good depth in. But I would play a guy like Jermichael over Clark this week if I was luck enough to be in that situation.

purestrength said:
Ministry of Pain said:
scrumptrulescent said:
What are you saying?
So how many Colts are you starting this weekend?
Manning. I would play him no matter the matchup. Wouldn't you?

If I had crazy depth, I would start Warner, Brees or Rodgers over Peyton this week. Otherwise, I would start Peyton, although I would continue to listen for Caldwell hints the rest of the week.

I just can't get out of my mind how many times Peyton has torched Rex Ryan defenses when he was at Baltimore.

Believe me, Rex is way more scared than Peyton.

Manning. I would play him no matter the matchup. Wouldn't you?
I'm not very high on him this week although he will throw to the open guy when he is in there, so if they shut down Wayne doesn't mean Manning is a bad play.If you have a better match up I could see someone pulling the trigger on another QB this week to be honest.

Ministry of Pain said:
You guys are focusing on the wrong thing this week, IMHO
Not me. I'm focusing on the fact that it's a bad match-up and we don't know how long the Colts stars will play.

Pretty good post and up to date summary from rotoworld...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=34424

NEWS OF THE DAY #2

Brutal. That's the best way to describe the situation that the Colts are putting fantasy owners in.

During Tuesday's live chat, about 70 percent of the questions were related to the Colts and their quandary. The e-mails have been pouring like water. Will they go full bore in a quest for a perfect season? Will they rest? Should I be playing Alex Smith or Peyton Manning? (Didn't ever think I'd be answering that).

Here's the bottom line, as of Wednesday night. We don't know. All we have are clues. Here are a few points before we get into the quotes from today:

1. The Colts have a history of resting players at the end of seasons. Coach Jim Caldwell and president Bill Polian have gently suggested that will continue to some degree. Will they change their mind considering they only have one Super Bowl ring using this strategy? Probably not.

2. Anyone that is hurt can not be trusted. So, since Pierre Garcon missed practice with a hand injury Wednesday, he can safely be sat. Anthony Gonzalez (knee) is still out.

These are the relevant players that the Colts listed as "limited" Wednesday: Reggie Wayne (foot), Peyton Manning (glute), Joseph Addai (knee), Mike Hart (ankle), Chad Simpson (chest). None of those guys are really hurt, but they're nicked up just like every player in the NFL.

3. The Jets defense is for real and will be playing very hard. Not only are they still alive in the playoff chase (yes, really Rex Ryan), but they don't want to be in the Colts' book on the way to history. Darrelle Revis, David Harris and friends are the No. 1 defense in the league in both points and yards allowed per game.

4. Perhaps most importantly, the line for the game has been set at Colts -5.5 (for entertainment purposes only). If this was two weeks ago, that line would be more like Colts -13. So the sharpies in Vegas think there's going to be some significant resting going on as well.

Now, here's what was said yesterday.

* Dwight Freeney was a guest on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike" show. "No matter who is gonna be out there, no matter how many reps they're gonna take - I'm sure some guys are will be on kind of a pitch count, you know a play count and we're going to try to take it like that."

* Jim Caldwell was asked for the billionth time what he plans to do Sunday. "The plan is to attack [sunday's game] just like we do every week. We're going to prepare to go in and play hard and we haven't made any declaration on who's playing how long or anything of that nature, much like we did last week. We did the same thing last week and focused in on the ball game and adjusted as the flow of the game went on."

* Peyton Manning said no coaches have said anything to him about plans. "As soon as [Caldwell] says something different in that meeting, I'm telling you, [the media] will be the first to know."

Bottom line: With all the clues we have now, it's hard to see the Colts starters playing more than a half of football. Adjust accordingly. And by that, we mean find other options.

Rotoworld doesn't understand the difference between resting the Colts defense (which will likely happen to some extent - and makes sense for a smallish defense that relies on quickness and speed) and resting the Colts offense (which needs reps to keep timing up - which is what the offense relies on). I expect Freeney and Mathis to play sparingly. I expect Peyton to get plenty of playing time. Defense <> Offense.

Users who are viewing this thread