What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (2 Viewers)

If someone figures this out, pls share!
I think I"m missing why this would be good. It's one click to search with either way, right? Couldn't you just always use powersearch?Or am I missing something. What can default search do that powersearch does not?J
Currently, if I hit the magnified glass and type in something.....the web suggestions comes up first. This is great when I want to perform a quick web search...however when I want to call "John doe", I type in "John Doe" a bunch of web suggestions comes up, then my "John Doe" contact comes at the end.Is there a way to change the priority that I don't know about?If I use power serach, I don't have to scroll down.
Ah - I see what you mean. I just use the on screen icon of the silhouette of the guy instead of the hard magnifying glass button. Mine was in the lower right - not sure if that's the default.J

Dont think you can change the order, but whe you click on the magnifying glass you can click the google icon on the left of the search bar and change it to just contacts etc.

My gmail stopped synching yesterday so I took it into the Verizon store to have them take a look - guy tested and verified it wasn't working and tried to re-install gmail to fix but that didn't resolve issue - said my only option was a factory reset and that I'd lose customizations but apps would come back within 30 minutes - that was 3 hours ago, my phone still isn't synching right every app I've downloaded over last 3 months is gone - :thumbup: :lmao:
Probably doesn't help much now, but my gmail stopped syncing for me a few days ago. I waited a day or so, and tried to resync through the accounts & sync menu. There was actually a little message on there saying that sync was having issues and to try back later. I tried the next day, and everything was fine. No factory reset, or anything.

My gmail stopped synching yesterday so I took it into the Verizon store to have them take a look - guy tested and verified it wasn't working and tried to re-install gmail to fix but that didn't resolve issue - said my only option was a factory reset and that I'd lose customizations but apps would come back within 30 minutes - that was 3 hours ago, my phone still isn't synching right every app I've downloaded over last 3 months is gone - :thumbup: :lmao:
Probably doesn't help much now, but my gmail stopped syncing for me a few days ago. I waited a day or so, and tried to resync through the accounts & sync menu. There was actually a little message on there saying that sync was having issues and to try back later. I tried the next day, and everything was fine. No factory reset, or anything.
i do not use gamil butturned my phone off and restarted it, once rebooted it said could not sync with gamil.

Two weeks into my DroidX experience and here are a few of the apps that I like so far:

Note Everything - A do everything note pad

anMoney - Electronic checkbook with some nice extra features

Ring Toggle - One button click to change from silent to ring etc

App Brain - Much better than the Droid market IMO. This link takes you to the website, simple market search brings it up on your phone

If someone figures this out, pls share!
I think I"m missing why this would be good. It's one click to search with either way, right? Couldn't you just always use powersearch?Or am I missing something. What can default search do that powersearch does not?J
Currently, if I hit the magnified glass and type in something.....the web suggestions comes up first. This is great when I want to perform a quick web search...however when I want to call "John doe", I type in "John Doe" a bunch of web suggestions comes up, then my "John Doe" contact comes at the end.Is there a way to change the priority that I don't know about?If I use power serach, I don't have to scroll down.
Ah - I see what you mean. I just use the on screen icon of the silhouette of the guy instead of the hard magnifying glass button. Mine was in the lower right - not sure if that's the default.J
Thx....not exactly where I want to be....but it's somethign

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but what is everyone's take on task killers, such as ATK or TaskPanel? I have one installed to help with battery life and memory usage, and I've been using it since I got the phone, but I'm honestly not sure how much good it's doing.

I just recently read an article stating that the Android OS does a very good job of starting up and killing processes on its own: Why You Shouldn't Be Using a Task Killer with Android.

so are the rest of you guys using them, or not using them? any experiences with battery life or memory usage?

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but what is everyone's take on task killers, such as ATK or TaskPanel? I have one installed to help with battery life and memory usage, and I've been using it since I got the phone, but I'm honestly not sure how much good it's doing.

I just recently read an article stating that the Android OS does a very good job of starting up and killing processes on its own: Why You Shouldn't Be Using a Task Killer with Android.

so are the rest of you guys using them, or not using them? any experiences with battery life or memory usage?
I use ATK all the time, usually takes me from 20+MB to 50+MB. Way too many apps running needlessly

I have a Samsung Intercept, does anyone know if you can organize all of your apps?

I have 2 main pages because they are spread out and i can't bring them together.

I use ATK all the time, usually takes me from 20+MB to 50+MB. Way too many apps running needlessly
I use Watchdog Lite, and have no complaints. Does exactly what I want, and more (CPU usage, misbehaving apps, etc.)

I used to have an app that would change the phone automatically back to the home screen after a call. After a reset it was gone. Anyone remember the name to that app?

Has anyone else been having problems with google listen lately? For some reason when I am listening to a podcast it will go back to the beginning in the middle of a podcast or start over when I start up. I like the listen app, but seem to be having more problems as of late.

For anyone who has been locked out of Swype, try "slideit lite". It's in the Android Market for freeand is very similar to swype. There's a full version for $8, so I'm sure this free demo will run out eventually, but I just can't stand typing on the regular keyboard once I've tried the swype method.

Has anyone else been having problems with google listen lately? For some reason when I am listening to a podcast it will go back to the beginning in the middle of a podcast or start over when I start up. I like the listen app, but seem to be having more problems as of late.
No problems here, I find some podcasts are messed up if you try to fast forward or rewind.

For anyone who has been locked out of Swype, try "slideit lite". It's in the Android Market for freeand is very similar to swype. There's a full version for $8, so I'm sure this free demo will run out eventually, but I just can't stand typing on the regular keyboard once I've tried the swype method.
That reminds me - is swype still the hot thing? I tried it for 30 seconds and didn't like it but I fully understand it takes a short learning curve. Is it still the "must have" thing or have people moved on to something else?J

That reminds me - is swype still the hot thing? I tried it for 30 seconds and didn't like it but I fully understand it takes a short learning curve. Is it still the "must have" thing or have people moved on to something else?J
I for one, love it.

It's the best option I've found so far. I also tried Thickbuttons which uses predictive technology to increase the size of the buttons that it anticipates you will most likely press next. But I kicked it to the curb when Swype came around.

For you guys loving swype, how long did it take for you to love it?Any tips for switching over to it?J
I tried it the 1st time and didn't like it and switched back after a very, very short trial. Then I kept reading how much people loved it and tried it again. I haven't gone back since. The tip to switching to it is just to do it and give it a week. I've yet to read about someone switching back.G

Yeah, I don't remember how long it took to adapt (definitely longer than 30 seconds though)....but all I know is that the minute I couldn't use it anymore, I felt lost.

For you guys loving swype, how long did it take for you to love it?Any tips for switching over to it?J
I tried it the 1st time and didn't like it and switched back after a very, very short trial. Then I kept reading how much people loved it and tried it again. I haven't gone back since. The tip to switching to it is just to do it and give it a week. I've yet to read about someone switching back.G
Thanks. One more question on it. Do you guys use it in landscape (horizontal) or in regular (vertical) mode? Or does it make any difference?J

Thanks. One more question on it. Do you guys use it in landscape (horizontal) or in regular (vertical) mode? Or does it make any difference?J
I usually use it in vertical mode bc I still do most things in that mode (like web browsing, texting, etc.). I think it's still fine in landscape mode when I've used it there.

For Swype, there's a free app in the market called myTextSpeed that really helped me become a proficient swyper (swypist?).

I prefer vertical because you don't have to move your finger quite as far, but horizontal versus vertical is not a huge deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys. I'll give it another shot. I know I didn't give it a fair trial earlier as I was too impatient.J
Don't worry, I tried it for a couple weeks and still hate it.If I ever get a phone without a keyboard then I'll probably try it longer, but it always seemed to never get the word exactly that I wanted, and I constantly had to pick from the pop up of 5 or so words, and if I shut that off it was not very accurate. I know I probably still need to use it longer to get better at it but I didn't feel it was that great.

Joe or anyone else:

Is there an app I can pull the 5 minute audio with or an rss feed so I can pull them to listen? I have stitcher, but that only has the most recent one and as soon as a new one comes out the others are gone.

Twitter question - what android app do you guys like best for twitter?J
TwiDroyd*I just got it about 2 weeks ago and it has been nothing but great so far. I don't know what other apps offer but I like the preview if you turn the phone sideways. It shows the twitpics and youtube videos etc. I've found it extremely easy to navigate.*I only used the stock app at first so I might be way off

Joe or anyone else:Is there an app I can pull the 5 minute audio with or an rss feed so I can pull them to listen? I have stitcher, but that only has the most recent one and as soon as a new one comes out the others are gone.
I have not found anything for the 5 minute audio that you can subscribe too. I asked in another thread but there was no response. It's not worth trying to get to it via web on phone so I stopped trying. I would love an rss feed for it

Thanks Guys. I'll give it another shot. I know I didn't give it a fair trial earlier as I was too impatient.J
Swype is hands down the best thing about Android phones.
Started using the voice to text option for texting and I was pretty amazed. I tried a few times to trick it and it nailed it every time. I tried Super cala fragilistic expialidocious and the"Shu be bop Shu be bop Shu be bop" and it pretty much nailed it.

Swype is hands down the best thing about Android phones.
Started using the voice to text option for texting and I was pretty amazed. I tried a few times to trick it and it nailed it every time. I tried Super cala fragilistic expialidocious and the"Shu be bop Shu be bop Shu be bop" and it pretty much nailed it.
:shrug: And when it does miss something, I just send the txt anyway... it's almost like bad closed captioning... the point still gets across.

Joe Bryant said:
Twitter question - what android app do you guys like best for twitter?J
Twicca is definitely my favorite, I have tried them all and like it the best. I think it is still only in Beta though...

Joe Bryant said:
only took me a few days. once you get use to it you will love it.

snellman said:
Joe or anyone else:Is there an app I can pull the 5 minute audio with or an rss feed so I can pull them to listen? I have stitcher, but that only has the most recent one and as soon as a new one comes out the others are gone.
Thanks snellman. Let me shoot this over to Todd at lexy and he may be able to work on something. Thanks.J

Users who are viewing this thread