What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Roofing experts here? (1 Viewer)

You're looking for someone to help you replace your roof?  Like someone to actually get on the roof and lay shingles?   

You're looking for someone to help you replace your roof?  Like someone to actually get on the roof and lay shingles?   
Ha ha.  No.  Specifically, I got an estimate and then there are some additional suggestions.  I'd like for someone to review and let me know what, if any, additional things I should do and if the estimated cost sounds right.

Ha ha.  No.  Specifically, I got an estimate and then there are some additional suggestions.  I'd like for someone to review and let me know what, if any, additional things I should do and if the estimated cost sounds right.
We're all friends here.   As Suzy Orman says, let us hear the numbers.  

Price Subject To Change After 30 Days - Contractor proposes to do as follows:

Since November 30th of  2015, the City Code Compliance

for all Flat Roofing Insulation Requirements is R-30 (5.2 inches)

Home owner is to contact Satellite provider for removal before start of work;

1. Carefully remove all existing Roofing Materials from main flat roof, and rear porch, and haul away all debris;

2. Inspect all exposed decking, replace up to 100 square feet of damaged, missing or rotten decking.

NOTE: Any decking replacement over 100 square feet will incur additional cost of $3.00 per square foot;

3. Apply a layer of half-inch 6 Sided Asphalt Coated High Density Insulation Hardboard over entire roof, and apply

Cant Stripping along the walls, this to be nailed to the Roof Deck using Metal Ring Shank Cap Nails;

In Order to Stop Interior Condensation from occurring, TQR, Inc. recommends Polyiso foam insulation boards to

be installed, to extend the lifespan of the roof, and to provide a better vapor barrier. See Optional Line Item:

Optional Upgrade Line Item: Not included in the price below, to be done at the same time as the roof removal if

agreed upon at the time of contract signing, Apply 2” Inches of Polyiso Insulation, Build the New layer across

the entire Flat Roof Decking surface to insulate and further Prevent Condensation from occurring , using plates

and screws to fasten down for an additional cost of $3,000.00.

4. Apply Certainteed® Black Diamond™ Premium Peel and Stick Base Sheet over this entire roof which will

increase the manufactures Warranty to 15 years and Tans Labor Guarantee to 10 years, over the standard 12

and 7 respectively;

5. Remove clay coping tiles from parapet walls and set aside to be reinstalled after flashing work is complete;

Apply Premium asphalt Primer to all walls, vent pipes, skylight, plumbing stacks, gutters and any other

protrusions, allowing time to dry;

6. Torch-apply a 4mm thick layer of Smooth Certainteed® Flintlastic™ STA Modified Bitumen Membrane Material1

to entire roof. Elevate HVAC Units, replace roofing materials and lay a loose piece on top, and rest HVAC unit

on padded area;

7. Flash all Primed areas with above-described STA Membrane1 material;

8. After flashing work is completed, reinstall same coping Tiles and cement joints;

Note: Broken or damaged coping tiles to be replaced at cost of $39 per two-foot Tile, including labor;

9. Apply a layer of Lucas® Silver non-fibered Aluminum Emulsion Coating # 608 over entire New Roof to meet the

72% Reflectivity Rating per City Code Requirements;

10. Clean grounds free of all debris caused by the above-mentioned work.

Note: If HVAC units need to be disconnected, the customer will need to find an HVAC technician.

This Option Reflects the Scope of Work Needed to Update the Existing Roof to Current City Compliance Code Values

Optional Upgrade Line Item #1: Not included in the price below, to be done at the same time as the roof removal if

agreed upon at the time of contract signing, Build a New Curb from New Dimensional Lumber as needed to

accommodate the New 5.2 Inches of Polyiso Insulation. Build the New layer across the entire Flat Roof Decking

surface to insulate and further Prevent Thermal Condensation from occurring , using plates and screws to fasten

down, to a R-Value of 30 across the entire roof for an additional cost of $7,000.00.

Optional Upgrade Line Item #2: Remove and dispose of gutter and downspout materials. Install New, Oversized

Sheet metal Gutter and 6” (Six inch)-wide, and oversized downspouts.

This work will be done at an additional cost of $1,600.00.

Note: In the event any of the masonry walls need to be rebuilt or repaired after wall flashings are removed, customer

can find a masonry contractor to rebuild/repair walls before roofing work can be completed, or TQR can assess and

repair the damaged masonry walls, at an additional cost.

Manufacturer’s Materials Warranty of 15Å Years; TQR Labor Guarantee of 10 Years

WE PROPOSE HEREBY TO FURNISH MATERIALS AND LABOR, COMPLETE & IN ACCORDANCE WITH ABOVE SPECIFICATONS, FOR THE SUM OF

$13,000.00*

*When This Contract is Signed, and Accompanied by Half-Down Deposit, and Balance is to be Paid Upon Completion.

Overdue payments will bear interest at the rate of 1.5 % per month.

Any Additional Work, Outside the Scope of this Contract, Bills Out at Minimum Rate of $75 per hour / per laborer, Excluding Materials.

Summary:  $13K for the standard roof replacement. An additional $11.6K for the 3 optional upgrades.  I know when I go to Best Buy or buy a car, I typically turn down anything 'optional' Not sure if that same logic applies with a roof.

13K?  How big is your roof? 

Also, I had my roof done in 2004 using Certainteed shingles and had it redone it 2012 after the shingles failed.  Huge class action law suit across the country as thousands of homeowners ended up getting screwed.

Maybe they've improved but you might want to do a little more digging on Certainteed shingles.

Last edited by a moderator:
13K?  How big is your roof? 

Also, I had my roof done in 2010 using Certainteed shingles and had it redone it 2013 after the shingles failed.  Huge class action law suit across the country as thousands of homeowners ended up getting screwed.

Maybe they've improved but you might want to do a little more digging on that Certainteed Black Diamond shingle.
I should probably know that.  Just guessing... somewhere in the 1200 sqft-1600 sqft range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angies list runs roofing deals all the time.  Check them out since the companies giving the deals are usually rated very well on Angies list.

@El Floppo's firm for example is not rated very highly on AL.

No expert here but we started on our roof yesterday.  we had 3 bids

1) $10,400 plus the adders to replace rotted rafter tails, facsia boards, starter boards.  Expect about $13K total.  Optional insulation adder of $2500.  $50 for DTV to come out and remount the dish when they are done (Roofers will remove dish)
2) $14,500 plus the adders to replace rotted rafter tails, facsia boards, starter boards.  Expect about $18K total.
3) was high $30K with no adders and such a long dog and pony show about how great they are we were pissed we cant get those 2 hours back and they were insanely priced.

Obviously #1 started yesterday and the shingles are all off.  They also did my wife's parent's house and their neighbors'.  

Basically it looks like your pricing seems to be inline with ours. We do not have a flat roof except over the garage.

I assume this is for a house, not a commercial building, correct?

The options for the polyiso and the curb construction make me think this a commercial building bid.

For a house, the poly iso is overkill.  It's used on commercial metal deck structures.

The curb, can't tell what it's for, but if you thicken the roof material with the poly iso then yeah you need a new curb.  But for $7k, that thing must be huge.

If you bid a house project, you sure he didn't leave those options on there from an old proposal?

make sure they still build slope with insulation to push water off of the center of the roof make sure that any decking that is shot is replaced and not just crappily patched make sure that secondary drains aka scuppers are done right and placed per code and in general ask yourself why you live in a house with a flat roof that is no beuano bromigo give me something with a slope to move water outathere take that to the bank bromigos

James Daulton said:
Angies list runs roofing deals all the time.  Check them out since the companies giving the deals are usually rated very well on Angies list.

@El Floppo's firm for example is not rated very highly on AL.
Yeah, that quote i pasted above is from Angie's list and includes the discount.

boofatty said:
I assume this is for a house, not a commercial building, correct?

The options for the polyiso and the curb construction make me think this a commercial building bid.

For a house, the poly iso is overkill.  It's used on commercial metal deck structures.

The curb, can't tell what it's for, but if you thicken the roof material with the poly iso then yeah you need a new curb.  But for $7k, that thing must be huge.

If you bid a house project, you sure he didn't leave those options on there from an old proposal?
It is a home but considered a multi-unit 2 flat building.  Most homes/buildings my size are either single family homes converted from a 2 flat building that has 2, sometimes 3 (basement) occupants.  My building has 3 separate furnaces and electric panels for instance.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.  Much appreciated.  The one upgrade I think I will do is the gutters, since I currently have no gutter system.

Optional Upgrade Line Item #2: Remove and dispose of gutter and downspout materials. Install New, Oversized

This work will be done at an additional cost of $1,600.00.

SWC said:
make sure they still build slope with insulation to push water off of the center of the roof make sure that any decking that is shot is replaced and not just crappily patched make sure that secondary drains aka scuppers are done right and placed per code and in general ask yourself why you live in a house with a flat roof that is no beuano bromigo give me something with a slope to move water outathere take that to the bank bromigos
Agree. Creating additional slope with insulation  on the flat sections will help reduce future leaks. Are you in a hurricane zone?

Really?  In my area I see Angie's list quotes for $6-$8k for full roof tear off and replace (usually like a 1,200 sq ft roof).
Are you all missing the flat roof portion of this job?  We aren't talking about nailing asphalt shingles to a 6/12 pitch here. 

It reads like a commercial job. 

I did roofing for a summer back in high school...never again.

Price for roofing is dependent upon square footage, roof angle, vents/etc, special features (vent at ridge), and obviously type of shingle.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.  Much appreciated.  The one upgrade I think I will do is the gutters, since I currently have no gutter system.

Optional Upgrade Line Item #2: Remove and dispose of gutter and downspout materials. Install New, Oversized

This work will be done at an additional cost of $1,600.00.
This seems high.  I have a two story house where we added seamless gutters around the entire house with leaf guards and it cost $900.

Price Subject To Change After 30 Days - Contractor proposes to do as follows:

Since November 30th of  2015, the City Code Compliance

for all Flat Roofing Insulation Requirements is R-30 (5.2 inches)

Home owner is to contact Satellite provider for removal before start of work;

1. Carefully remove all existing Roofing Materials from main flat roof, and rear porch, and haul away all debris;

2. Inspect all exposed decking, replace up to 100 square feet of damaged, missing or rotten decking.

NOTE: Any decking replacement over 100 square feet will incur additional cost of $3.00 per square foot;

3. Apply a layer of half-inch 6 Sided Asphalt Coated High Density Insulation Hardboard over entire roof, and apply

Cant Stripping along the walls, this to be nailed to the Roof Deck using Metal Ring Shank Cap Nails;

In Order to Stop Interior Condensation from occurring, TQR, Inc. recommends Polyiso foam insulation boards to

be installed, to extend the lifespan of the roof, and to provide a better vapor barrier. See Optional Line Item:

Optional Upgrade Line Item: Not included in the price below, to be done at the same time as the roof removal if

agreed upon at the time of contract signing, Apply 2” Inches of Polyiso Insulation, Build the New layer across

the entire Flat Roof Decking surface to insulate and further Prevent Condensation from occurring , using plates

and screws to fasten down for an additional cost of $3,000.00.

4. Apply Certainteed® Black Diamond™ Premium Peel and Stick Base Sheet over this entire roof which will

increase the manufactures Warranty to 15 years and Tans Labor Guarantee to 10 years, over the standard 12

and 7 respectively;

5. Remove clay coping tiles from parapet walls and set aside to be reinstalled after flashing work is complete;

Apply Premium asphalt Primer to all walls, vent pipes, skylight, plumbing stacks, gutters and any other

protrusions, allowing time to dry;

6. Torch-apply a 4mm thick layer of Smooth Certainteed® Flintlastic™ STA Modified Bitumen Membrane Material1

to entire roof. Elevate HVAC Units, replace roofing materials and lay a loose piece on top, and rest HVAC unit

on padded area;

7. Flash all Primed areas with above-described STA Membrane1 material;

8. After flashing work is completed, reinstall same coping Tiles and cement joints;

Note: Broken or damaged coping tiles to be replaced at cost of $39 per two-foot Tile, including labor;

9. Apply a layer of Lucas® Silver non-fibered Aluminum Emulsion Coating # 608 over entire New Roof to meet the

72% Reflectivity Rating per City Code Requirements;

10. Clean grounds free of all debris caused by the above-mentioned work.

Note: If HVAC units need to be disconnected, the customer will need to find an HVAC technician.

This Option Reflects the Scope of Work Needed to Update the Existing Roof to Current City Compliance Code Values

Optional Upgrade Line Item #1: Not included in the price below, to be done at the same time as the roof removal if

agreed upon at the time of contract signing, Build a New Curb from New Dimensional Lumber as needed to

accommodate the New 5.2 Inches of Polyiso Insulation. Build the New layer across the entire Flat Roof Decking

surface to insulate and further Prevent Thermal Condensation from occurring , using plates and screws to fasten

down, to a R-Value of 30 across the entire roof for an additional cost of $7,000.00.

Optional Upgrade Line Item #2: Remove and dispose of gutter and downspout materials. Install New, Oversized

This work will be done at an additional cost of $1,600.00.

Note: In the event any of the masonry walls need to be rebuilt or repaired after wall flashings are removed, customer

can find a masonry contractor to rebuild/repair walls before roofing work can be completed, or TQR can assess and

repair the damaged masonry walls, at an additional cost.

Manufacturer’s Materials Warranty of 15Å Years; TQR Labor Guarantee of 10 Years

WE PROPOSE HEREBY TO FURNISH MATERIALS AND LABOR, COMPLETE & IN ACCORDANCE WITH ABOVE SPECIFICATONS, FOR THE SUM OF

$13,000.00*

*When This Contract is Signed, and Accompanied by Half-Down Deposit, and Balance is to be Paid Upon Completion.

Overdue payments will bear interest at the rate of 1.5 % per month.

Any Additional Work, Outside the Scope of this Contract, Bills Out at Minimum Rate of $75 per hour / per laborer, Excluding Materials.
I'm not sure about flat roofs, but this doesn't seem to high IMO considering they have to put new boards down and remove/reinstall clay coping tiles.  But you should always get at least two quotes for any house work....three is better.

I'm not sure about flat roofs, but this doesn't seem to high IMO considering they have to put new boards down and remove/reinstall clay coping tiles.  But you should always get at least two quotes for any house work....three is better.
Thanks. Definitely getting another quote or 2. 

Have no experience with totally flat roofs, but simple physics tell me that they would be more difficult to deal with.  You're going to want gutters as well, but maybe get another quote there.  Gutters/downspouts/drainage can be a huge lifesavers with water/foundation issues.

That said, I did about 1/2 the work personally on a roof on my last house, which was a ranch style with a pitched roof, but one you could walk on pretty easily.  After a full day of removing 2 layers of shingles on ~1500 sq. feet in the sun, I called my father and thanked him for making sure I went to college.  That type of work sucks, but I did get to listen to sports radio all day. 

This seems high.  I have a two story house where we added seamless gutters around the entire house with leaf guards and it cost $900.
Sounds like you got a great deal...did you do it yourself?

I think about $10 a foot is in the ballpark. $1600 seems about right to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread