What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Sigma Alpha Epsilon brothers in here? (1 Viewer)

Disgusting stuff. I was in SAE and we never had anything like this back in our day. One of my big brothers was black, too.

Sadly, the fraternity just set itself back about 150 years, given that its founding members were good ol' boys affiliated with the KKK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oklahoma :shrug:

Sad stuff, though I'm sure more typical than folks would like to admit. I saw plenty of it during a short stint with a Frat at UT Knoxville in the 90's.... despite the frat having black members.

Weren't the SAEs the frat that would do Confederate Day and dress up in uh "period" outfits?

Did someone post this thinking it was funny, or was it posted to out them? Any idea?
Not sure how it initially was posted, but someone involved in "diversity awareness" on campus posted it to out them, from what I understand.

Weren't the SAEs the frat that would do Confederate Day and dress up in uh "period" outfits?
No that's Kappa Alpha.SAE's traditional annual party is "Paddy Murphy," which has a prohibition-era Ness vs the Mob theme.
Yeah KA were pretty blatant about it when I was in school. Confederate flags flying in windows and such. They were definitely known as the "Good ol boys" frat. Ironically their house wasn't on frat row, but on another street about 4 doors down from the two historically black frats.

A couple of my best buddies were SAE and were generally hard partying privileged white guys but not generally viewed as racists. They routinely hosted mixer events at the bar I tended/managed and I never saw any crap like this, FWIW.

No that's Kappa Alpha.SAE's traditional annual party is "Paddy Murphy," which has a prohibition-era Ness vs the Mob theme.
Yeah KA were pretty blatant about it when I was in school. Confederate flags flying in windows and such. They were definitely known as the "Good ol boys" frat. Ironically their house wasn't on frat row, but on another street about 4 doors down from the two historically black frats.

A couple of my best buddies were SAE and were generally hard partying privileged white guys but not generally viewed as racists. They routinely hosted mixer events at the bar I tended/managed and I never saw any crap like this, FWIW.
I never saw any confederate flags flying on KAs windows and such when I was in college, and I went to college in the South. A lot of the Greek houses were once plantation houses, but you can't hold that against them. I was in college from 84-90, and for three years I lived in a townhouse that was connected to 5 others. My roommates and I were not in the Greek system, but the two townhouses on our right were occupied by KAs. The townhouse on our closest left was occupied by GDIs (one being black), and then the two townhouses beside them were Kappa Sigs and Sig Eps. We all got to know each other well, and we were friends. I never saw any racism from any of them, and that includes the KAs. The KAs would wear these t-shirts sometimes that said "Southern Gentleman" on them, and we laughed at that, but that was due to how some of them always talked #### about their "little sisters" and other girls they would use. That seemed to be a common theme in all of the frats. I didn't see racism at the open frat parties either. My friends and I would go to some of the frat house parties when they had bands play. It was usually outside of the houses. I don't know if that still happens today, but back then frats had open parties to everyone. It was the socials and stuff like that you had to be invited to, and I never went to any of those. Anyway, there are racists everywhere, and there is bound to be some racists in frats no matter what their race may be, but I don't think it's common to have a whole frat be a spin-off of the KKK.

I did get dirty looks during college from some white people when I would play tennis with my black neighbor Byron. The dirty looks were usually from older white folks thinking Byron and I were a interracial couple. I didn't mind anyone thinking that at all. Byron was nice, intelligent, funny, cute as can be, and had a million dollar smile (and he loved the Rolling Stones). :wub:

Eh, I don't mind sharing this story.

I was an SAE for about 4 days....maybe 5, I don't remember. I wasn't too high on joining, but for some reason my mom said it would be a good idea. I think she wanted me to separate from the kids I was hanging out with in High School.

It was still technically a "grace period" and we had our first football game. Naturally everyone went back to the house after the game. I had run into an old teammate of mine from HS football who was there on a recruiting visit. Me being a normal non racist kinda guy invited my black friend back to the SAE house. Sure enough he left after probably less than an hour and I had no idea why.

Sure enough when the pledges(including myself) were there cleaning up at 5am they made us all sing that song. I was shocked at how much practically all of those guys were into it.

I just shut my mouth and went on about my business....needless to say when I went back to lunch the next day I had my name on this bulletin board. It said I had been called before a judiciary board meeting that night. I thought about just blowing it off and never coming back, but I was curious.

I showed up and they had voted to dismiss me from the fraternity. I asked the reason and they said it was alleged drug abuse or selling drugs...which was half true, but certainly not the reason cause probably 80% of the guys in the house had been smoking.

I was an SAE for about 4 days....maybe 5, I don't remember. I wasn't too high on joining, but for some reason my mom said it would be a good idea. I think she wanted me to separate from the kids I was hanging out with in High School.

It was still technically a "grace period" and we had our first football game. Naturally everyone went back to the house after the game. I had run into an old teammate of mine from HS football who was there on a recruiting visit. Me being a normal non racist kinda guy invited my black friend back to the SAE house. Sure enough he left after probably less than an hour and I had no idea why.

Sure enough when the pledges(including myself) were there cleaning up at 5am they made us all sing that song. I was shocked at how much practically all of those guys were into it.

I just shut my mouth and went on about my business....needless to say when I went back to lunch the next day I had my name on this bulletin board. It said I had been called before a judiciary board meeting that night. I thought about just blowing it off and never coming back, but I was curious.

I showed up and they had voted to dismiss me from the fraternity. I asked the reason and they said it was alleged drug abuse or selling drugs...which was half true, but certainly not the reason cause probably 80% of the guys in the house had been smoking.
The power of the FFA strikes again.

To be sure, every chapter of every fraternity is different so it's hard to assign blame on anyone except the knuckleheads doing the chant. Still, they are part of SAE, so the fraternity has to be culpable.

jb1020 said:

All of their chapters sing that song? This might not end well for them.

jb1020 said:

what school did you go to?

if you can't/won't say, what state?

if not that, what NCAA conference?

Even the 'mother' chapter of SAE at Alabama is embarrassed by that racism.

Now if they were just doing a bunch of drugs...

bigbottom said:
Righetti said:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/us/oklahoma-fraternity-chant/

Honestly, do you remember this song??

Did you have any black members?

Do you remember this song?
No.

Yes.

Again, no.

Disgusting. Glad to see the National Fraternity take swift action and boot this chapter.
the last question was supposed to be "did you have a confederate flag" displayed in your fraternity house
Yeah, but do you remember this song?

jb1020 said:

what school did you go to?

if you can't/won't say, what state?

if not that, what NCAA conference?
Definitely in the South...It was also 15 or so years ago.

Similar to BB, have never heard that song before or anything similar. We did have a couple African-American brothers (and a whole lot of Puerto Ricans, Indians, Polish, Brazilian, not sure what else).

I would have been as shocked to hear it then as I would be to hear it at a work outing

simey said:
[icon] said:
bigbottom said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

I never saw any confederate flags flying on KAs windows and such when I was in college, and I went to college in the South. A lot of the Greek houses were once plantation houses, but you can't hold that against them. I was in college from 84-90, and for three years I lived in a townhouse that was connected to 5 others. My roommates and I were not in the Greek system, but the two townhouses on our right were occupied by KAs. The townhouse on our closest left was occupied by GDIs (one being black), and then the two townhouses beside them were Kappa Sigs and Sig Eps. We all got to know each other well, and we were friends. I never saw any racism from any of them, and that includes the KAs. The KAs would wear these t-shirts sometimes that said "Southern Gentleman" on them, and we laughed at that, but that was due to how some of them always talked #### about their "little sisters" and other girls they would use. That seemed to be a common theme in all of the frats. I didn't see racism at the open frat parties either. My friends and I would go to some of the frat house parties when they had bands play. It was usually outside of the houses. I don't know if that still happens today, but back then frats had open parties to everyone. It was the socials and stuff like that you had to be invited to, and I never went to any of those. Anyway, there are racists everywhere, and there is bound to be some racists in frats no matter what their race may be, but I don't think it's common to have a whole frat be a spin-off of the KKK.

I did get dirty looks during college from some white people when I would play tennis with my black neighbor Byron. The dirty looks were usually from older white folks thinking Byron and I were a interracial couple. I didn't mind anyone thinking that at all. Byron was nice, intelligent, funny, cute as can be, and had a million dollar smile (and he loved the Rolling Stones). :wub:
6 year plan?

Meh, my fraternity brothers are rapists... at least according to that hackjob at Rolling Stone. :oldunsure:

I knew a few SAEs at UCSB. Didn't strike me as racists, just rich whities.

it sure would be a shame if there names got out and the internet got them curt shilling style brohans

'I'm SAE, don't mess with me' said the fat, drunk blowhard to anyone that would listen to him as he staggered down the street late one night. Amazing how you can remember some things that happened 30 years ago.

No 'double secret probation'? Ah, another smart phone takes down some morons. Technology. :thumbup:

bigbottom said:
Righetti said:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/us/oklahoma-fraternity-chant/

Honestly, do you remember this song??

Did you have any black members?

Do you remember this song?
No.

Yes.

Again, no.

Disgusting. Glad to see the National Fraternity take swift action and boot this chapter.
No.

Yes

No

Same here.

Everyone I've seen post today is really pissed that a few idiots have done such a stupid thing.
No.

Yes.

No

I went to school in California.

"We saw the video in question, I think you guys can..."

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■),

"...SAE yourselves out."

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simey said:
[icon] said:
bigbottom said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

..Byron....sounds pleasant...Byron..kind of fun to say.

Fraternity :lol:
Also known as "buying friends and access to parties".
I don't usually have any overcoming feelings of having to defend any of my life choices, but in this case (and since I have 5 minutes to kill before I can jet), I'll respond to this nice softball.

I went to a college where the Greek system was completely unnecessary (one of the top "party schools" in the country year after year... since the 80's). I joined a fraternity because I understood that it would offer me networking opportunities later in life... and yes, the built-in parties were a huge bonus.

I didn't party in high school. I wasn't a recluse, but I choice to focus on my studies, basketball and hanging out with friends who simply shared the same hobbies. I had good buddies in HS that partied hard, and to this day beat on them for not inviting me to all of the tomfoolery. I suppose I could have just asked, but it just was not in my nature to go seek out underage drinking and drug use.

Fast forward to college and I was ready to sow my oats. Joining a fraternity allowed for that in a big way. I "came out of my shell" (wasn't much of a shell to begin with) and met some incredible people.

Since graduation, I took a 45-day cross-country trip with one of my fraternity brothers (likely would have never met or became friends with him otherwise), and was "hooked up" with a great 2-year stopgap job by another brother while I was struggling to find work (the real estate industry was at its absolute bottom and someone stuck their neck out for me). Not only that but I had "instant friends" as soon as I moved to Central Texas (alumni association).

I'd like to have more time to do more (mentoring, alumni events, etc.) but with 2 kids it's tough. I don't regret my decision one bit. :) That is all.

Not saying it's a bad thing at all, but it is interesting to note that the reaction To blatant racist rhetoric (expulsion, protests, severely impacted future for anyone involved) seems to be on the level with, if not exceeding the reaction to institutional sexual assault.

I'm not defending anyone, just pointing out that the size of the waves this is making seems equal if not bigger than with allegations of hard-core criminal stuff, like the Vandy football fiasco.

Just a sign of the times in the world in which we live.

Users who are viewing this thread